Xu Xialing (Chinese: 徐夏靈) is the current leader of the Ten Rings, the daughter of the mythical warlord Xu Wenwu, and the sister of Shang-Chi. Xu was not allowed to train alongside the men in her youth, leading her to learn martial arts through observation. When Shang-Chi defected from the Ten Rings, Xu felt abandoned, also deciding to defect years later. Xu relocated to Macau, where she founded the Golden Daggers Club. Years later, Xu was approached by Shang-Chi and Katy Chen, whom the Ten Rings were hunting. The three were eventually captured by the Ten Rings and reunited with their father. Wenwu was preparing to venture into the realm of Ta Lo and reunite with his late wife; his destructive plans alienated Xu, Shang-Chi, and Chen, leading to their imprisonment. After escaping, they journeyed into Ta Lo and joined the elders in defending their village. Ta Lo's warriors, along with Xu, later joined forces with the Ten Rings to defeat the Dweller-in-Darkness. In the aftermath, Xu assumed leadership of the Ten Rings in the wake of her father's death.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Returning Home
- 1.3 Journey Into Ta Lo
- 1.4 Ta Lo Invasions
- 1.5 Taking Over the Ten Rings
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
Xu Xialing was born to Xu Wenwu and Ying Li, and was the younger sister of Shang-Chi. She and her family lived in the Ten Rings Headquarters in China for many years happily. Ying Li gave Xialing a dragon pendant that could open the key to the map to Ta Lo. Xialing and Shang Chi's mother Ying Li, taught them many other lessons, But one day while the tree were outside, they were confronted by the Iron Gang who wanted revenge on Wenwu. Ying Li ushered Xialing and Shang Chi to leave so that she could fight the gang, which resulted in their mother's death.
After the death of Ying Li, Xu Wenwu decided to train Shang-Chi to be an assassin for the Ten Rings but did not allow Xialing to train with the others because she reminded Wenwu of her mother, Despite this, Xialing watched Shang-Chi train with the other assassins from the side, and began to train herself based off of what she had observed, usually training with her Rope Dart.
Abandoned at Home
When Xialing was around the age of ten, her brother Shang-Chi was tasked to finally avenge their mother. Xialing expressed her concern that he would leave her alone at the headquarters, but her brother promised that he would return soon. He later realized that he had a chance to escape his father's control and did not fulfill his promise, leaving Xialing alone.
Years after Shang-Chi abandoned her, Xu Xialing managed to escape the headquarters through a secret tunnel passage within the compound. She was relocated in Macau where she then founded the fighting club, the Golden Daggers Club, where she befriended Jon Jon.
After the Blip, Shang-Chi traveled to Macau with Katy Chen to find Xialing at the Golden Daggers Club. Xialing fought her brother in the ring and beaten him up. She had later told him about about what she had done after he abandoned her. Shang-Chi tried to tell her that their father Wenwu was coming soon to take her pendant, like they had him, Xialing was not concerned about this information, believing she could face the assassins. While they broke into the club, Xialing left into the elevator of the building with Jon Jon. While Shang-Chi and Katy were fighting the assassins on the side of the building, When Katy falls of the pole she is clinging onto, Xialing catches her and saves her life. The Death Dealer then swoops down and yanked Xialing's pendant off her neck before they were confronted by Wenwu.
Xu Wenwu then captured and took Xialing, Shang Chi, and Katy in a helicopter to the Ten Rings Headquarters. He Instructed Razor Fist to take Xialing and Katy to their rooms so that he could talk privately with her brother. Xialing talked to Katy in her old room about how Wenwu wouldn't let her train with the others as a child, and why she decided to found the Golden Daggers Club.
They later ate dinner and Wenwu explained how he could find Xialing and Shang-Chi. After, Wenwu took them to his office where he explained how he heard Ying Li's voice and how they needed to get to Ta Lo to free her. He places the two pendants the Ten Rings retrieved, one them having belonged to Xialing, into a statue of a dragon which then reveals the map to Ta Lo. Xialing and the others at first agree to help Wenwu
find their mother, but they then realize that the voice he heard was not their mothers. Wenwu then threatened to burn Ta Lo if the villagers did not let him in. The trio then decide that Wenwu must be stopped from doing so.
While they are talking they hear moaning and discover Trevor Slattery was within the compound as well. Xialing goes through the secret tunnel system to meet him. He tells them that his pet Dijiang, Morris, can help lead them to Ta Lo. Xialing tells the others that the secret tunnel system she had used to get in was the one she had used to escape the headquarters as a child, and that it led to the garage, their way out of the compound.
After the group left the tunnel system and entered the garage. They realized they would need a vehicle and got into Razor Fist's Car, Xialing got into the back seat with Shang-Chi, with Trevor Slattery and Katy in front. Some of the Ten Rings assassins including Razor Fist saw them leave in his car and pursued the group as they were leaving. Xialing got out of the car through the window as it was moving and attacked many of the assassins that were after them.
Journey Into Ta Lo
The Living Maze
To be added
Meeting a Relative
When Xialing and the others meet the villagers of Ta Lo, Ying Nan emerges and reveals she is the aunt of Xialing and Shang-Chi, She expressed her excitement to finally meet Xialing and gave her a warm embrace.
Ta Lo Invasions
Attack on Ta Lo
To be added
To be added
Taking Over the Ten Rings
- "Let's get started. We have a lot of work to do."
- ―Xu Xialing[src]
After leaving Ta Lo, Xialing returned to the Ten Rings Headquarters and became the organization's new leader. She brought about an upheaval of reforms to the Ten Rings, introducing a female unit to train alongside the men in the courtyard, in addition to dismantling a number of its other operations.
While sorting through artwork plastered in her room, she discovered a sketch of her late mother, taking a moment to remember her memory. Razor Fist then approached Xialing to inform her that her new subordinates were waiting for her orders. With Razor Fist and Jon Jon at her side, Xialing took her seat on the throne her father once held, and announced that the Ten Rings have a lot to work on.
Xu Xialing is a cold, rebellious, and complex woman due to being abandoned by her brother and neglected by her father. Because being a woman, she couldn't train alongside her brother, Shang-Chi, or inherit the Ten Rings, showing that she was looking down on by her father and his men. But regardless, she learned to train on her own by watching Shang-Chi training as observing their movements. She's brash and hardened as showing no mercy in her fights through the underground fighting club while finding some accepted in there and not underestimating for being a woman.
Despite her harsh and cold attitude, she's rather compassionate towards women, enough to save Katy who didn't know how to fight. Due to her harsh upbringing and being rejected, she's a feminist and wants to have equal rights for herself and other women. She revealed to Katy that she wants women to join the Ten Rings as becoming the leader of Ten Rings because she felt that she could change the all-male organization to an equal one where she can accept. Deep down, she's a vulnerable and emotional person who hides through her cold facade.
She has a very strained relationship with her brother who broke their promise of returning to her and her father who neglected her. She didn't mind punching Shang-Chi out of anger while being cold to her father. However, Xialing is willing to put feelings aside and teamed up with Shang-Chi to stop their father from destroying Ta Lo village, the home place of their mother. Despite her resentment towards her family, she deeply cared for and loved her mother, Li Ying. She often sketched her in her room where other sketches of her. Also, Xialing still cared about her brother and father. After saving Ta Lo village, Xialing finds it in her heart to forgive her father despite everything he has done. Also, Xialing reconciled with Shang-Chi as she has come to terms that he is one of the few family members she has left in her life.
She misses her mother along with her brother and father. Xialing has shown to respect and care for her mother's homeland as she was willing to do anything to protect, even from her own father. Due to growing up in a cold and harsh environment, Xialing is often amused by Katy's comedic personality.
- "I wasn't allowed to train with the boys. But I watched everything they did, and taught myself to do it better."
- ―Xu Xialing[src]
- Master Martial Artist: Xialing is a terrifically skilled master hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist, though not as equally skilled as her brother Shang-Chi. Unlike her brother who was trained by the Ten Rings, she was self-taught, as she trained herself by observing others and aimed to do better than them. Her fighting style includes mixed martial arts and Tai chi. She was able to defeat Shang-Chi in Golden Daggers Club, though he was holding back. She easily defeated numerous armed members of Ten Rings and Razor Fist.
- Rope Dart Mastery: Xialing displayed great self-taught skill with rope dart. She used it to defeat numerous armed members of Ten Rings and Razor Fist.
- Master Acrobat: To be added
- Bilingualism: Xialing is fluent in her native Chinese and English.
- Xu Xialing's Rope Dart: In the battle between the people of Ta Lo and the Ten Rings, as well as their united battle against the Soul Eaters, Xialing used a rope dart that had a dart on one end and a meteor hammer on the other.
- Dragon Scale Armor: To be added
- Razor Fist's Car: To be added
- In the comics, Zheng Bao Yu, currently known as the Cursed Lotus, is Zheng Zu's daughter and former-right hand, who decided to rebel against her father and become the leader of her own underworld organization. She was formerly known as Fah Lo Suee, based on the character of the same name from Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu novels.
- In the comics, Esme, also known as Sister Dagger, is the younger sister of Shang-Chi. She grew up resenting her older brother for "abandoning" the Five Weapons Society, but later forms a close knit bond with him and becomes something of his second-in-command once he becomes the new leader.
- In the comics, the Mandarin has a daughter named Sasha Hammer, also known as Detroit Steel, who was also the granddaughter of Justin Hammer.
Behind the Scenes
- The first month of filming, Meng'er Zhang portrayed the character with having a red streak in her hair. After reading a Teen Vogue article pointing out how rebellious Asian females in media were portrayed with a color hair extension, Zhang asked director Destin Daniel Cretton that she not wear it in future scenes, to which he agreed.
- Xu is younger than Shang-Chi. In real life, Meng'er Zhang is two years older than Simu Liu.
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Translates from Chinese to "Summer"
- Shang-Chi Star Meng'er Zhang On Kicking Simu Liu's Ass And Being More Than The Sidekick