The Winter Soldiers were HYDRA's elite group of assassins that were enhanced by a Super Soldier Serum similar to the one that created Captain America and the original Winter Soldier. They were all killed by Helmut Zemo.
Creation of the Winter Soldiers
The Winter Soldiers were formed by HYDRA of an elite group of assassins who possessed the highest kill count out of all the assets HYDRA possessed even before being enhanced by the Super Soldier Serum. They were injected with the Serum to replicate the Winter Soldier himself.
Barnes was tasked to train the Winter Soldiers to see if they could overpower him, meaning the experiments were a success. To the delight of HYDRA, it was. However, the Winter Soldiers, except for Barnes, lost control and started a riot, resulting in all of them being put under deep sleep in Cryostasis Chambers.
The Winter Soldiers were found in 2016, by Helmut Zemo, whom Captain America and Iron Man believed was looking for them to turn them into weapons for his own agenda. However, Zemo executed all the Winter Soldiers by shooting them each in the head, as his true intention was to lure the Avengers to the HYDRA Siberian Facility and force them to fight with each other.
Powers and Abilities
- Artificially Enhanced Physiology: As a part of the Winter Soldier Program, five HYDRA operatives were injected with the Super Soldier Serum what gave them enhanced physical functions.
- Enhanced Strength: A physical strength of the Winter Soldiers is immensely enhanced to the early levels of the superhuman condition by a series of treatments performed by HYDRA scientists. They are strong enough to be able to overpower Winter Soldier even with his bionic arm, as well as effortlessly take out multiple HYDRA operatives.
- Enhanced Durability: Their bones and muscles are apparently vastly denser and more resilient than a normal human's.
- Enhanced Speed: Their speed is tremendously enhanced beyond the peak of human potential, moving into the early levels of superhuman condition.
- Enhanced Agility: Their vastly enhanced agility is superior to even Olympic gold medalists.
- Enhanced Stamina: Their musculature produces far fewer fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human, allowing him to exert himself at peak capacity for hours before tiring.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Their reflexes are enhanced to extraordinary levels, being responsive enough to dodge Barnes’ attacks.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Their bodies are able to heal with extraordinary speed and efficiency beyond a regular human being.
- Longevity: Their accelerated Super Soldier Serum healing rate allows Winter Soldiers to age more slowly than a normal human being and to be immune to the diseases that normally affect an average man. In addition, Super Soldier Serum kept them alive and stopped their aging when HYDRA kept them in suspended animation in a Cryostasis Chamber where they were frozen for many years, due to the increase in aggression that gave the third version of the Super Soldier Serum, until they have been completely checked. Unfortunately, in 2016, Helmut Zemo found the Siberian HYDRA base and killed them by shooting them in the head while still in suspended animation.
- Expert Combatant: All members of the group received training from HYDRA, which gave them great combat ability. They were able to conduct the most amount of eliminations than anyone within HYDRA even before the Super Soldier Serum.
- Master Spy: The Winter Soldiers were able to hide in plain sight in order to destabilize an entire country in one night.
- Multilingualism: The Winter Soldiers could speak thirty languages, including Russian.