- "What you did all these years... it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice."
"I know. But I did it."
- ―Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes
Sergeant James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes, is a World War II veteran, a former officer of the 107th Infantry Regiment and the best friend of Steve Rogers since childhood. Barnes was conscripted and assigned to the 107th in 1943. His regiment was captured by HYDRA, where Barnes was experimented on by Arnim Zola. Barnes, along with whoever still remained from his regiment, were later rescued by Rogers, who had become Captain America during Barnes' absence. Upon joining forces in the continuing war, Barnes and Rogers formed the Howling Commandos to battle the Red Skull's forces. However, during an attempt to finally capture Zola in the Austrian Alps, Barnes was caught in their ambush and plummeted hundreds of feet from a train. As no body was ever recovered, Barnes was then presumed deceased, but officially listed as missing in action.
Unbeknownst to his team, Barnes' experimentations allowed him to survive the fall, albeit with the loss of his left arm. Once found by the Soviet Union, and HYDRA, Barnes was further experimented on, granting him superhuman abilities, and was subsequently brainwashed and armed with a new cybernetic limb in order to become their operative, known as the Winter Soldier. Over the next fifty years, he would eliminate anyone who posed any threat to HYDRA, including Howard Stark and his wife, Maria. Between all these assassination missions, the Winter Soldier would be put into a cryogenic stasis to ensure his longevity. In 2014, the Winter Soldier had been ordered by Alexander Pierce to assassinate Nick Fury, in order to ensure that all Pierce's schemes with Project Insight could go ahead. However, the Winter Soldier was challenged by Steve Rogers, which had triggered him to begin remembering his prior life.
In the wake of their Battle at the Triskelion, Barnes, free from his brainwashing, deserted HYDRA in order to remember his past and end his long, violent history. Two years later, Barnes was then framed for the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre, which claimed the life of T'Chaka, among many other innocent lives. While the Black Panther sought revenge for his father's death, Barnes had been repeatedly saved by Captain America, which sparked the Avengers Civil War as a team of Avengers, led by Iron Man was sent to capture him. However, they eventually learned that Helmut Zemo framed Barnes and reactivated his brainwashing, so that Zemo could reveal that Barnes had murdered Stark's parents years ago. Having just survived Stark's revenge attempt, Barnes was given amnesty in Wakanda by T'Challa and was placed in cryostasis, until all HYDRA's control triggers could be removed from his mind.
Barnes was eventually freed of his brainwashing by the efforts of Shuri. However, as Thanos had attempted to kill Vision for the Mind Stone, Barnes returned to combat to stop the Mad Titan's plans, receiving his new vibranium arm. Barnes joined T'Challa and the Avengers to help fight off the threat, only for Thanos to defeat them and assemble all of the Infinity Stones. Barnes was subsequently disintegrated as Thanos eliminated half of all life in the universe. In 2023, Barnes was resurrected by the Hulk as he then participated in their final battle against Thanos' forces. In the aftermath of the battle, Barnes had bid Rogers farewell, knowing of his true intention to travel back to the 1940s in order to live with Peggy Carter. Barnes was then present to witness Rogers, as a much older man, return home in order to then choose Sam Wilson to pass the shield onto.
Meeting Steve Rogers
James Barnes was born on March 10, 1917 and was the eldest child of four. Barnes grew up to be an overachiever, having been an excellent athlete who had also excelled inside the classroom. Sometime during his childhood, he met Steve Rogers when bullies were trying to steal his money. The two became best friends and stuck together for many years, with Barnes often defending Rogers from bullies who would have attempted to take advantage of Rogers' short height and small build.
During one of their trips together, Barnes and Rogers had ended up being forced to get a ride back towards Brooklyn on the back of a freezer truck as they had used all their remaining train money to buy hotdogs, while Barnes had also inadvertently managed to spend three dollars as he attempted to win a stuffed bear for Dolores. Another time when they were at Coney Island together, Barnes convinced Rogers to ride the Cyclone, which resulted in Rogers throwing up due to the ride, much to Barnes' great amusement.
- "We can put the couch cushion on the floor like when we were kids. It’ll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash. Come on."
"Thank you, Buck, but I can get by on my own."
"The thing is, you don't have to. I'm with you to the end of the line, pal."
- ―Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers
In 1936, Steve Rogers' mother died of tuberculosis and they buried her beside her husband. After her funeral, Barnes walked Rogers home and offered him his place to stay, but Rogers refused, saying he could get by on his own. Seeing Rogers struggling to find his house keys, Barnes revealed his secret key and told him that he did not have to because he was with him "to the end of the line," something Rogers would always keep to heart.
A year later, during their art class, Barnes and Rogers found out that the United States of America had joined the World War II. By this time, Barnes was now the three-time YMCA welterweight boxing champion and he also spent two weeks training Rogers at Goldie's Boxing Gym. They visited the US Recruiting and Induction Center within New York City where Rogers was classified as 4F and rejected from service, while Barnes was drafted into the United States Army.
Barnes, along with the rest of the 107th Infantry Regiment, was trained during the winter at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin. Eventually, Barnes rose to the rank of Sergeant. The day before his shipment out to England, Barnes found Steve Rogers getting beaten up by a bully. He came to the defense of his friend and quickly sent the bully running away with a punch to the jaw and a kick to the behind.
Barnes learned that Rogers had been attempting to enlist in the army again so he could fight in World War II, using false documents to try and get deployed. Barnes informed Rogers that he had received his orders and would be going to war the next morning. At first, Rogers seemed upset, as he was not shipping out to war as well. Barnes remained determined to cheer his friend up and reminded him that he would last be the last eligible bachelor left in New York City.
Barnes and Rogers then went to the Stark Expo together, with Barnes determined to enjoy his last day in the city before shipping out. What Barnes did not tell Rogers, however, was that it was, in fact, a double date with Connie and Bonnie, who were both highly excited to spend the evening with a handsome soldier like Sgt Barnes. When Rogers asked what Barnes had told his own date about him, Barnes simply replied, "only the good stuff" while greeting the girls.
While happily exploring the Expo together, the group of four saw the inventions which Stark Industries was showing off. They later watched as Howard Stark himself demonstrated Hovercar, which had greatly impressed Barnes until it malfunctioned and fell to the ground hard, although Stark was still able to joke that the car was only a prototype. When Barnes turned around to suggest the group go dancing, he saw that Rogers had walked away from the group to try and enlist in the army yet again, despite Barnes' many previous objections.
Barnes soon found Rogers trying to enlist, and first tried to persuade him to rejoin him on the double date. When that did not work, he reminded him that he wasn't going to be fighting in a back alley, but in a war. Despite Barnes' protests, Rogers went through with it but said a heartfelt goodbye to Barnes before doing so. Rogers told him not to win the war until he got there, and Barnes left with the girls. Barnes and his unit shipped out to England the next day.
Prisoner of War
- "Here they come!"
"I hate these guys."
- ―Bucky Barnes and Dum Dum Dugan
While serving on the front lines of World War II, Barnes and his unit, which included Dum Dum Dugan and Gabe Jones, were ambushed by the Wehrmacht troops at Azzano. Although the battle seemed hopeless as they were strongly outgunned and without any reinforcements, the battle turned when another German unit then appeared and used an extremely powerful tank which proceeded to easily kill the remaining Nazis who fled.
As Barnes, Dugan, and Jones got out of their hiding place and looked over the remains of the battlefield, the tank then turned its weaponry towards Barnes' unit and they were soon captured by HYDRA. Once they were HYDRA's prisoners, they were sent to work at the weapon facility in Austria where they were forced to help make the new weaponry for HYDRA's forces.
In October 1943, Barnes met other Allied POWs: including Jacques Dernier and James Montgomery Falsworth. During his imprisonment in the facility, he was viciously beaten by Lohmer, however, other prisoners organized an "accident" which resulted in Lohmer's death. Barnes and his friends worked on parts of the Valkyrie which HYDRA was going to use against to win the war. When Barnes became too weak to continue, he was taken to undergo experiments conducted by Arnim Zola.
Saved by Captain America
In November 1943, the facility was infiltrated by Steve Rogers, who had undergone an experiment giving him enhanced strength. Rogers made his way through the base and freed the prisoners, including Barnes, having discovered him while chasing down Arnim Zola. Seeing his friend and his newly transformed body, Barnes was surprised and confused, noting that he remembered Rogers being considerably shorter than he was now while Rogers dragged him out.
As the freed POW's battled against the HYDRA forces, being led by Dum Dum Dugan, Rogers and Barnes became trapped inside the base as it began to self destruct. During the escape, Barnes and Rogers encountered Johann Schmidt who mocked Rogers' transformation at the hands of Abraham Erskine. After a brief fight, Schmidt and Rogers soon became separated before Schmidt revealed to them his true demonic face, caused by taking an early version of the Super Soldier Serum. Schmidt mocked Rogers' belief that he was still just a simple soldier despite being a higher class of humanity before then escaping from the exploding base.
With Schmidt gone, Rogers and Barnes refocused their efforts and began working out an escape route. Rogers suggested that they move up and they decided to use a support beam to move to a safe section of the facility. Due to his poor health, Rogers insisted that Barnes get himself to safety first; however, just as he reached the other side, the beam fell apart from under Barnes' feet, trapping Rogers on the other side of the exploding facility.
Although Rogers ordered that Barnes escape now before the base exploded and killed them both, Barnes refused, insisting that he would not leave him behind; he claimed that they would be able to find another way across. Barnes watched in amazement as Rogers used his strength to bend a steel bar out of his way before launching himself across the gap and rejoining Barnes. They were then able to escape moments before the entire facility was destroyed.
Return to Camp
- "Hey, let's hear it for Captain America!"
- ―Bucky Barnes
Barnes and Steve Rogers eventually regrouped with all the rest of the escaped Prisoners of War and together they then walked all the way back to Chester Phillips' base in Italy, 30 miles away. Once they had all arrived along with the weapons and vehicles they had stolen from HYDRA, they were then greeted warmly by the other soldiers, who were amazed that Rogers' mission to save the missing men had somehow been successful.
While Barnes and Dum Dum Dugan were reuniting with their fellow soldiers, Rogers then offered to surrender himself for court-martial; however, Phillips chose not to punish Rogers for undertaking the rescue mission against all of Phillips' strict orders against that plan. As the entire unit gathered together and Rogers was reunited by Peggy Carter, who teased him for being late as Rogers had been unable to contact her to inform her of the success, Barnes then called for the soldiers to cheer for Rogers as their savior. The Prisoners of War were then given some medical attention before all being given some time away from the battlefield to recover.
After their escape from the HYDRA prison, Barnes and all the other former Prisoners of War, including Dum Dum Dugan, were given a break from duty in London. Steve Rogers later joined them inside of the Whip & Fiddle pub and convinced them to join his crusade against the Nazis and HYDRA, forming a group of fighters known as the Howling Commandos.
Barnes told Rogers that he would not follow Captain America, but he would follow his friend. When Peggy Carter also arrived at the pub to inform Rogers of an upcoming meeting with Chester Phillips and Howard Stark, Barnes had to deal with the realization that Rogers was now the one who gets flirted with, not him. Rogers teased his friend by suggested that she might have a friend before discussing if Rogers would be keeping the uniform of Captain America.
Having agreed to return to the battlefield, Barnes alongside the newly formed Howling Commandos joined Rogers back into the front lines of World War II. Over the following year of the war, Barnes and the rest of the Commandos progressively destroyed most major HYDRA operations and key science facilities, preventing Johann Schmidt and Arnim Zola from completing more projects designed to progress their world-dominating plans.
Barnes followed the team while they focused on destroying HYDRA's army units, tanks and other facilities, ensuring that HYDRA's strength was greatly reduced while the United States Army, as well as the Strategic Scientific Reserve, continued moving forward against them. Barnes would often work like the sniper of the group, protecting his team of Commandos, standing by while Jacques Dernier planted bombs on the HYDRA tanks to successfully destroy them.
- "I had him on the ropes."
"I know you did."
- ―Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers
At the beginning of 1945, Barnes, Captain America and the rest of the Howling Commandos prepared for a mission to board the Schnellzug EB912 train carrying Arnim Zola, with the aim of capturing him to learn about the Red Skull's plans. While they looked over the side of the snowy mountain they would have to navigate, Barnes joked that this mission was Rogers' way of getting payback for the time Barnes made Rogers ride a roller coaster that made him throw up, which Rogers neither confirmed nor denied.
When Jim Morita intercepted a radio signal from HYDRA confirming that Zola was on the train, Barnes, Rogers and Gabe Jones used a zip wire to board the train as it traveled through the mountains. While Jones stayed on top of the roof of the train, Barnes and Rogers entered and began exploring the various carriages. Moments after their arrival, however, they were suddenly split up and ambushed by a team of armored HYDRA soldiers sent to kill them by Zola.
While Rogers was forced to fight the heavily armed HYDRA guard, Barnes became pinned down by three soldiers. Although he was able to kill two, Barnes soon ran out of ammunition and feared he would soon be killed. Rogers, however, was able to open up the door and throw him a new gun which he used to kill the last remaining soldier when Rogers distracted him. Barnes claimed that he had him on the ropes and Rogers assured him that he still believed him.
However, just as the pair began to relax, another HYDRA soldier then appeared behind them and fired at them with a Arnimhilation 99L Assault Weapon, blowing a hole through the side of the train and knocking Rogers off his feet. Barnes picked up Captain America's Shield and fired at the soldier, but he was shot again, the power of the blast throwing him off the train and leaving him hanging on to a damaged rail for dear life as the train continued to speed through the mountains.
Rogers had dispatched the soldier by launching his shield at him and turned his attention to desperately trying to rescue Barnes as he hung off a rail on the side of the train. Rogers begged Barnes to hold on as he inched closer to him and tried to grab his hand, but before they could reach each other, the rail snapped, which then resulted in Barnes falling down to the icy Danube River below as Rogers could only look in horror as Barnes seemingly disappeared forever.
Captured by HYDRA
Due to his enhanced physiology produced by HYDRA's experiments, Barnes was just able to survive the fall from the train, though his left arm was ripped from his body upon impact. His nearly lifeless body was discovered by a Soviet soldier sometime later. After being discovered, he was handed over to HYDRA's Soviet wing. He was kept their prisoner for many years, until Arnim Zola was released from the SSR's custody, wishing to continue his experiments.
In the care of the new HYDRA, working within S.H.I.E.L.D., Barnes underwent further experimentation at the hands of Zola, as the first subject of the Winter Soldier Program. Removing the remnants of his severed arm, the doctors replaced the missing limb with a prosthetic one. Barnes underwent mind control methods to keep him under their command. Over time, Barnes would lose all memory of his former life and became nothing more than a weapon.
With his body at the peak of physical perfection and his arm at the highest level of weaponized technology, HYDRA put Barnes to use as their personal weapon for many years. They had him frozen in suspended animation after every mission, to prevent him from aging. Whenever Barnes completed a mission, HYDRA would have his mind wiped to ensure he remained memory-free and emotionless towards those he killed.
Taking Out HYDRA Threats
Receiving vast training from HYDRA, Barnes became a formidable fighter and an even more ruthless killer. His experiences with the KGB would earn him the name of the "Winter Soldier". Barnes would remain frozen for long periods of time until HYDRA saw fit to unfreeze him for missions. Over the next fifty years, Barnes was responsible for numerous assassinations, killing various sorts of targets, from scientific minds to political figures, including John F. Kennedy in 1963. Due to his expertise in the field and his shadowy nature, the Winter Soldier became something of a ghost story, with intelligence agencies doubting he even existed.
While being kept on ice in a Cryostasis Chamber, Winter Soldier was held in the HYDRA Siberian Facility. Eventually he was defrosted by Vasily Karpov who, once his memories had been wiped yet again by the Memory Suppressing Machine, ensured Barnes was loyal to HYDRA by using key words to activate all his training.
With his mind clear of his own past life, the Winter Soldier once again became just an empty shell of a man simply awaiting his new mission orders. Karpov then informed Barnes that they needed him to steal a supply of the Super Soldier Serum from the car of Howard Stark, and assassinate Stark in the process. As Barnes had no memories left of his time serving in World War II alongside Stark, he agreed to take on the mission without any hesitation or possible remorse.
Taking on this mission, Winter Soldier waited for Stark to leave his home and travel down the road; at which point he gave chase on his motorbike and fired into the car, causing it to veer off the road and crash into a nearby tree. Momentarily ignoring all the injured victims, Winter Soldier first ensured that the Super Soldier Serum was safe before turning his attention onto Stark, who had survived and slowly crawled away from the car wreak to attempt to escape.
As the badly wounded Stark crawled away from the car wreak and begged for his attacker to help save his wife's life, the Winter Soldier ignored the pleas and took ahold of Stark with his robotic arm. As Stark looked up at his assassin, he recognized him from their time together during World War II, as well as working with their mutual friend, Captain America. Confused, Stark addressed him as Sergeant Barnes.
However, the Winter Soldier ignored the comments and proceeded to beat Stark to death with his Prosthetic Arm, cracking Stark's skull and killing him. With his first target now dead, the Winter Soldier then carried Stark's corpse and placed him back inside the car, to make it appear that he had been killed during the crash, before proceeding to strangle Maria Stark to death. He then ensured the crash looked like an accident and destroyed the various CCTV cameras.
With both his targets now dead and their murder having seemingly been covered up by the destruction of the CCTV camera, the Winter Soldier then took the Super Soldier Serum from inside of Stark's car and made his escape, he then returned to the HYDRA Siberian Facility, presenting it to Karpov, who then complimented the Soldier's work. The Serum was then used to create and enhance all the new Winter Soldiers, who were prepared for missions.
Training Winter Soldiers
As HYDRA decided that more enhanced assassins were needed, members of a HYDRA death squad were injected with the Super Soldier Serum that Barnes had stolen from Howard Stark and used in the Winter Soldier Program. To ensure the Winter Soldiers were battle-ready, Barnes was tasked with training them; if they were able to overpower and subdue him, then they would be accepted into the program.
During one of these training sessions at the HYDRA Siberian Facility, Barnes was defeated. Vasily Karpov congratulated the victor while a doctor went to check on his vitals. However, the Soldier was fueled by the adrenaline and attacked the doctor, slamming his face hard into the ground and killing him. As a result, a riot began with the other Winter Soldiers rising up against their masters and attacking Karpov and the other guards.
As a fight broke out, Barnes was ordered by the terrified Karpov to protect him. He took him away from the danger, locking the Soldiers in the cage. While the HYDRA guards eventually subdued the other soldiers and put them back into Cryostasis Chambers. It was then decided by Karpov that they should all be kept on ice until they could be controlled. As Karpov fled to the United States of America, the facility was abandoned after the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.
Encounter with Black Widow
- "Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me. A Soviet slug, no rifling."
- ―Black Widow to Captain America
In 2009, Barnes was sent to kill a nuclear scientist who was escorted by Black Widow. Without hesitation, he attacked his target, sending the car containing the scientist and Romanoff over a cliff. Finding that Romanoff had saved the target from falling to his death, Barnes fired a single round through Romanoff's stomach and the bullet struck the scientist, effectively killing him. As his mission was accomplished, Barnes made his getaway without pursuit.
In 2014, Barnes was activated by Alexander Pierce once more to assassinate Nick Fury after he had just begun to finally unravel HYDRA's secret existence due to questioning Project Insight. When Fury managed to escape death at the hands of over a dozen HYDRA agents in Washington, D.C., Barnes managed to get ahead of Fury's car and disabled it using a Disc Grenade, which caused the car to flip as the Winter Soldier easily stepped aside.
However, when Barnes made his way to the vehicle to finish Fury, he found his target had used a Mouse Hole to escape from his wrecked car and into the sewers to escape his would-be assassins. Unwilling to allow his target to get away alive, Barnes later located Fury at Steve Rogers' apartment, where he was attempting to give Rogers vital information about his attack and the possible infiltration within S.H.I.E.L.D. Before Fury could reveal his information, Barnes shot him through the back multiple times, puncturing straight through his Bulletproof Vest, through the wall from another building all the way across the street.
With Fury seemingly dead, Barnes made his escape, but Rogers gave chase and attempted to subdue Barnes by throwing his shield at him. However, Barnes stopped running and simply caught the shield with his bionic arm, throwing it back with incredible force after looking at Rogers for a moment. As Rogers stood frozen in shock at the assassin's strength and reflexes, Barnes leaped off the roof and escaped before Rogers could see where he went.
Instead of being returned to his Cryostasis Chamber, Barnes was sent to Pierce's house for his next orders in the wake of Director Fury's apparent death. He was informed that his next targets were Rogers and Natasha Romanoff, who were attempting to reveal HYDRA's Project Insight plan which involved killing over twenty-million targets across America using the Helicarriers. When Barnes and Pierce were seen by Renata, he watched as Pierce executed her.
"Who the hell is Bucky?"
- ―Captain America and Winter Soldier
The next day the Winter Soldier had managed to track down all of his targets and attacked on the freeway while they were kidnapping Jasper Sitwell. Managing to land on the roof of the car, Barnes threw Sitwell from the car into the path of an oncoming truck, before he fired inside the car to try and assassinate his targets. Before he could get a confirmed kill, however, the Winter Soldier was then thrown off the car's roof as Sam Wilson slammed on the breaks.
Having stopped himself using his Prosthetic Arm, the Winter Soldier managed to get out of the way as the car charged towards him and proceeded to rip out the steering wheel, which caused the car to lose control and crash, with Steve Rogers just able to get all his allies to safety. Seeing they had survived, Barnes proceeded to fire a grenade at his targets, Rogers took the blow on his shield and went flying off the bridge and crashed into a bus down below.
Winter Soldier then turned his attention to Natasha Romanoff, as he and his HYDRA team fired upon her until an explosion caused by Barnes' grenade launched caused her to fall from the bridge, barely saving herself with a Grappling Hook Gun. With his targets off the bridge and at a disadvantage, the Soldier took his machine gun and aimed off the bridge to finish them off. However, he was shot in the eye by Black Widow, surviving due to his protective mask.
Furious at being shot at, Barnes fired down at Romanoff, barely missing all his shots as she ran for her life down the street. Instead of sharpshooting Romanoff, Barnes ordered his men to deal with Rogers while he targeted her. Leaping from the bridge, Barnes landed on a car and pursued the S.H.I.E.L.D. through the streets of Washington, D.C., as the civilians ran for cover while Barnes' agents fired upon both Rogers and Wilson.
As he reloaded his grenade launcher, Barnes eventually believed that he had Romanoff cornered when he heard her voice from behind a parked car. In an attempt to kill his target, Barnes silently dropped a Ball Grenade and let it quietly roll towards the source of the sound, however he soon discovered it was a trick as Romanoff had left her phone playing her voice to distract Barnes while snug up behind him for a sudden ambush.
Once Barnes was distracted, Romanoff jumped onto his shoulder and then furiously attempted to strangle him by using her Garrote. Engaging her in a fierce fight, the Winter Soldier had eventually managed to throw her off him by slamming her onto a nearby car before having his prosthetic arm temporarily disabled by one of Romanoff's Taser Disks, which had allowed Romanoff to run into the crowd while the Winter Soldier reactivated his arm.
With his arm working once more, the Winter Soldier went in pursuit of Romanoff, who was desperately attempting to get the innocent people out of harm's way while running for her own life. Catching sight of his target, Barnes took aim and fired a single shot while hit Romanoff directly in the shoulder, causing her to fall down. Once he had shot Romanoff through the shoulder, the Winter Soldier charged forward, leaping onto a car as he prepared to finish her off.
Just before the Winter Soldier could kill Black Widow, he was then confronted by Captain America who ran to his allies aid. Seeing the Captain coming, the Winter Soldier spun around and attempted to hit him with his Prosthetic Arm, only for the Captain to block the blow with his shield. As Winter Soldier kicked him down to the ground, the two engaged in a brutal one-on-one fight, both rivaling each other with every move.
Determined to kill his target, the Winter Soldier fired every round in his machine gun at Rogers, only for them to be blocked by the shield, forcing the Winter Soldier to use his other weapons all of which were low on ammunition, forcing him to throw them aside and continue their fight with hand-to-hand combat. Having lost all of his guns during their clash, the Winter Soldier managed to briefly get a hold of Captain America's Shield before knocking him back with a hard punch to the chest. As Rogers charged towards him, the Winter Soldier launched the shield at Rogers with considerable force, but it missed Rogers and it embedded itself in the van.
As the Winter Soldier and Rogers' furious battle continued throughout the streets of Washington, D.C., the Winter Soldier then resorted to using his knife, attempting to plunge it into Rogers' throat as he furiously slashed at Rogers. However, as both proved themselves to be equally skilled in combat, the Winter Soldier was still unable to land the deadly blow and had soon been disarmed as Rogers managed to launch him across the street and into a nearby car before landing another hard strike against him.
The pair were forced to resort to hand to hand combat as the Winter Soldier had struck back against Rogers, managing to avoid being slammed to the ground before using his bionic arm to attempt to strangle Rogers before then launching him across a car. Once Rogers was briefly defenseless on the floor, Winter Soldier attempted to finish the job by striking a hard blow, but he missed and instead cracked the concrete as Rogers moved out of the way.
Enraged he still had not killed his target as he had been instructed to do by Alexander Pierce, the Winter Soldier began furiously striking at Captain America with his Prosthetic Arm, knocking him back into a nearby van before pulling out his second knife. Using his Bionic Arm to give him even more strength, the Winter Soldier plunged the knife into the van and tore through the metal, while Captain America still avoided the blade and then threw the Winter Soldier off him.
Rogers was able to reclaim his shield as he blocked all of the Winter Soldier's continued strikes with his knife before he was able to dodge one blow and embedded his shield in the Winter Soldier's bionic arm, causing serious damage. In the midst of the fight, Rogers ripped the Soldier's mask off his face and stared in disbelief as Barnes turned and revealed his true face. Having recognized him as James "Bucky" Barnes, Rogers brought the Winter Soldier to a standstill.
While the Winter Soldier briefly questioned who Barnes was, he soon remembered his mission and swiftly raised his gun to take a shot and kill Rogers in order to complete his mission for HYDRA. However, just before he could fire the shot at Captain America, the Winter Soldier was then suddenly knocked down onto the ground by Falcon who swooped past in his EXO-7 Falcon before the Soldier was then shot at by Natasha Romanoff with the grenade launcher he had dropped while fighting Rogers. While the Winter Soldier dodged the fireball, he was still forced to escape from the streets while Brock Rumlow and the team of STRIKE agents charged in and captured the fugitives.
Regrouping with HYDRA, the Winter Soldier was then taken straight back to the Ideal Federal Savings Bank, where he became erratic and violent towards the doctors. As they were repairing his bionic arm, he began to remember fragments from his past. These fragments included his fall from the train back during World War II, as well as all the operations, performed on him by Arnim Zola which threw him into a rage as he furiously attacked one of his doctors.
While the Winter Soldier had continued to struggle to control his ever-growing rage, Alexander Pierce arrived at the Base to obtain Barnes' mission report. Despite Jack Rollins warning that the Winter Soldier was unpredictable, Pierce spoke to him only to find the Soldier was unresponsive and refusing to speak until Pierce struck him across the face. Barnes claimed that he knew Captain America somehow, which unnerved Pierce who secretly knew the truth about them.
Pierce claimed that he only remembered Rogers because he had met him a few days ago on the assignment to kill Nick Fury, but Barnes insisted that he knew him. As Brock Rumlow watched closely, Pierce noted how Barnes' work with HYDRA had been a gift to mankind and told him he needed him to do it one more time during Project Insight. Seeing he was still struggling, Pierce then ordered Barnes to undergo some further mind alterations to force Barnes' cooperation.
- "People are gonna die, Buck. I can't let that happen... Please, don't make me do this."
- ―Captain America to Winter Soldier
Just before HYDRA could complete their goal to rid the world of all potential threats to their reign with Project Insight, as they prepared to activated all of the Helicarriers, their plans were then suddenly intercepted when Captain America and his allies had infiltrated the Triskelion and revealed HYDRA's presence to his fellow agents who had actively engaged in battle with all of HYDRA's undercover agents. In order to stop this from continuing, Alexander Pierce activated the Winter Soldier who arrived and attacked the agents.
In the ensuing chaos, the Winter Soldier charged into the battle firing grenades at the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in order to keep them from aiding Captain America. Using his superior strength and skills, the Winter Soldier easily overpowered the agents, kicking one agent inside the engine of one of the Quinjets while destroying others with grenades. Once the Winter Soldier had cleared through the main teams of the agents, he flew a Quinjet towards one of the Helicarriers.
Having now made it onboard the Helicarrier, the Winter Soldier then ambushed Captain America and Falcon, as he shoved the Captain off the Helicarrier in an attempt to make him fall all the way to his death upon landing on Washington, D.C. below. The Winter Soldier then proceeded to rip the Falcon out of the air before he destroyed the EXO-7 Falcon by ripping off one of the wings and kicked him off the Helicarrier to hopefully fall all the way to his death as well.
Seeing that Captain America did not die from the sudden fall and had managed to stay on board of the Helicarrier, the Winter Soldier ran ahead to meet him at the Target System for a final showdown. While the battle continued in the Triskelion, with Pierce currently being held hostage by Nick Fury and Black Widow, while the Falcon was forced to battle against Brock Rumlow, Winter Soldier had gone to confront Captain America just before he could reboot the Helicarrier's Target System to stop Project Insight. As the two had stood opposite each other, Rogers pleaded with his former friend for him to remember him and think of all innocent people who were going to die.
Despite everything Captain America said, the Winter Soldier had still remained silent and ignored all these pleas. Seeing no other choice, Rogers engaged Barnes in combat, launching his shield at his enemy which the Winter Soldier blocked with his Prosthetic Arm before he began shooting at the Captain. Having wounded the Captain, the pair fought in a lengthy violent hand-to-hand battle with the Winter Soldier attempting to use his knife to kill Captain America.
during which the Winter Soldier attempted to get possession of the Targeting Chip which would allow Maria Hill to take control and stop Project Insight. As the chip became loose, the Soldier attempted to stop the Captain from taking it by throwing his shield at him before shooting at him, which Captain America blocked using the shield the Soldier had thrown at him. Once he had deflected the thrown shield away from him, the Winter Soldier then ran forward with his knife.
Engaging Captain America back in close-quarters combat again, the Winter Soldier then managed to plunge his knife into the Captain's shoulder before he grabbed the chip and attempted to destroy it. Desperately trying to obtain the chip back, however, Captain America pulled the knife out of his shoulder and fought against the Winter Soldier, furiously breaking his arm and injuring his leg as he subdued him, before retaking the targeting chip out of his hands.
The Winter Soldier, however, managed to regain consciousness just before Captain America could reach the System Override, shooting him multiple times. Despite this, Captain America still managed to swap the Data Chips and had Hill reset the three Helicarriers open fire at each other, with himself still aboard. While the Winter Soldier could do nothing, Russo and the operatives inadvertently destroyed Project Insight by shooting the Helicarriers out of the sky.
- "I'm not gonna fight you. You're my friend."
"You're my mission. You're... my... mission!"
"Then finish it. 'Cause I'm with you to the end of the line."
- ―Captain America and Winter Soldier
As the Helicarrier began to fall apart in mid-air due to the other ships firing upon it, the Winter Soldier suddenly became trapped under all of the falling debris. Upon seeing this, Captain America quickly leaped to his friend's aid and freed him by lifting the debris off him. Taking a moment to catch his breath, the Winter Soldier listened as Captain America insisted that he knew him, however, the Winter Soldier instantly betrayed the Captain and attacked once again.
Begging for Barnes to remember, Rogers then reminded him of his name and past, noting that he had known him for his entire life before he had been captured by HYDRA and had been turned into their own assassin. Refusing to fight him, Rogers then removed his helmet and allowed his shield to drop out of the Helicarrier. Despite this, however, Barnes still refused to listen to what he was saying, violently beating Rogers with his bionic arm as their surroundings deteriorated.
As the Winter Soldier ignored Rogers' words and insisted he was his only mission, he continued brutally beating Rogers into submission before Rogers then quoted something Barnes said to him more than 70 years ago after his mother's funeral. As Barnes finally began to remember, he relented, unwilling to throw another punch. However, before the Soldier could do anything more, the surface beneath them fell away, and Rogers plummeted down into the river below.
Barnes quickly grabbed on to a metal beam, which allowed him to stay on the Helicarrier. Realizing that Rogers truly was his friend, Barnes let go of the beam and dove into the water after Rogers and then pulled him ashore, saving his old friend's life. After saving him, Barnes quickly checked to see if Rogers was still breathing. After he discovered he was, he then slowly walked away towards the nearby woods, going on a mission to discover his true identity.
Having escaped the Triskelion wreckage, Barnes returned to Ideal Federal Savings Bank, where he encountered the HYDRA scientists. Freed from their mind control, Barnes assaulted them; however, this reminded Barnes of all the people he murdered, preventing him from killing them. Barnes later went to the Smithsonian Institution as he found a memorial for the late Howling Commando James Barnes, who had seemingly being killed in combat during World War II.
End of the Line
Found by Captain America
Free from HYDRA, Barnes was on the run from the government. He traveled to an old safe-house in Romania to investigate his past; the more he learned of his past life in the Howling Commandos, the more he added into a notebook of all his memories. While walking through Bucharest and buying plums from a street seller, Barnes caught sight of a nervous man staring at him.
Fearing that his identity might be at risk of being discovered, Barnes walked over to the man who ran as fast as he could away from him. Taking a Jurnalul de Lugoj newspaper the man was selling, Barnes had then discovered that he was being accused of the Bombing of the Vienna International Centre in Austria, which had claimed the lives of several people, including the King T'Chaka of Wakanda. Seeing this, Barnes decided to collect his belongings and to then escape for his life.
Returning into his hideout, Barnes discovered Captain America was already there. When Rogers then asked if Barnes knew who he was, Barnes claimed that he had learned of him inside a museum although Rogers knew he was lying. Barnes had still insisted that he was not responsible for all of the terrorist attacks as that was not who he was anymore, but Rogers noted that the people who did blame him were coming to their location now intending to finally kill him.
Their re-union would eventually be interrupted by the arrival of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre who charged into the building from the rooftop and the hallway. While they were working together, Barnes and Rogers deflected their grenade thrown inside by covering while using Captain America's Shield. Barnes took his backpack and threw it out of the window where it had landed on the next building's roof, reassuring Rogers that he did not plan on killing anybody.
As more agents charged into the room, Barnes used his Prosthetic Arm to block the gunshots before using any weapons were nearby to subdue his attackers, including a concrete block. Moving into the stairway where a large unit of Joint Counter Terrorist Centre agents were moving to him, Barnes then continued to fight back against his would be killers, while Rogers followed behind, ensuring nobody was accidentally killed due to Barnes' less careful fighting style.
Leaving Rogers behind, Barnes jumped down several stories, using his Prosthetic Arm to catch himself before running to a balcony and leaping onto the next building's rooftop, regaining his backpack and continuing to run. However, just as he began running, he was attacked by Black Panther, who had lost his father in the bombing. Without a word being spoken, Barnes and Black Panther began fighting as he used his Panther Habit to try and kill Barnes.
As Panther tried to use his claws to cut Barnes' throat, he became distracted as the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre helicopter began shooting at the pair, only for Panther's vibranium armor to protect him from the bullets. Barnes began to run again, with the Panther and Rogers running close behind him as they leaped down from the building and onto the street, while the Falcon managed to knock the helicopter out of the way of danger to protect them all.
Barnes used his momentary lead to run ahead of Black Panther and jumped down into a busy underground road, fleeing through the traffic while Black Panther and Captain America followed close behind him. Realizing that Black Panther would be able to catch up to him eventually, Barnes was able to get ahold of a man's motorbike and used the extra speed to get ahead in the chase while Rogers and the Panther used a stolen car to try and catch up with him.
Despite his head start, the Black Panther managed to catch up with Barnes and attempted to kill him, however, Barnes was just able to use his bionic arm to block Black Panther's attack, grabbing him by the throat and knocking him into the road. While also grinding his hand across the tarmac to keep from falling off his bike and had still continued to ride away from danger while the still determined Joint Counter Terrorist Centre agents followed behind in their cars.
Coming to the end of the tunnel, Barnes used a Ball Grenade to destroy the roof, hoping to trap his attackers and get away. However, Black Panther was able to gain extra speed by jumping on Wilson's back and knocked Barnes off his bike before Rogers kept him from killing his friend. The manhunt was finished as War Machine cornered them and they were arrested by the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, with Black Panther revealing himself to be Wakandan King T'Challa.
Captured by Everett Ross
With Barnes now in custody, he was locked in a containment cell with his cybernetic arm tightly fixed down and taken to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre Building in Berlin. From within his cell, Barnes watched as Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and T'Challa were greeted by Sharon Carter and the leader of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, Everett Ross, before Barnes was taken away to await his questioning.
Barnes was later greeted by what was supposed to be the psychiatrist Theo Broussard, who had been sent to interview Barnes and evaluate his mental well-being. "Broussard" claimed to only want to ask Barnes some simple questions in order to help him, but Barnes remained silent, only answering to say that he would prefer to be called Bucky rather than James while "Broussard" asked him about the horrors he had seen during his time with HYDRA.
"Broussard" set off a blackout that cut the security cameras, and began reciting the trigger words that would reactivate Barnes' Winter Soldier Program training by using the Winter Soldier Book originally owned by Vasily Karpov. Unwilling to be a slave to HYDRA again, Barnes gathered all of his strength and attempted to break free of his restraints and stop "Broussard", ripping his arms free and punching the glass in an attempt to escape.
However, "Broussard" was able to finish saying the code words just as Barnes broke free and went into his compliant assassin mode, blind to all his loyalty to his friends. "Broussard"'s first question was about his mission in 1991 where he had assassinated Howard Stark and his wife, Maria Stark, in order to steal the Super Soldier Serum. "Broussard" demanded to know the location of the HYDRA Siberian Facility so he could unleash the other Winter Soldiers.
The Winter Soldier was then ordered by "Broussard" to fight and kill anyone who attempted to stop him, before getting escaping in a helicopter to seemingly prove his guilt for the recent terrorist attacks. The Winter Soldier was soon found by Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson, who were trying to question "Broussard", so the Soldier quickly fought and subdued the pair before heading back upstairs.
Finding himself surrounded by Joint Counter Terrorist Centre agents, the Winter Soldier fought his way through until he was attacked by Tony Stark, who attempted to use an Iron Man Gauntlet to subdue the Soldier. Despite being hit by several shockwaves, the Winter Soldier was able to withstand them and attacked Stark, attempting to shoot him in the head. However, Stark fought back and disarmed the Soldier before being subdued himself with a punch to the chest.
Before the Winter Soldier could kill Stark, however, Sharon Carter and Natasha Romanoff came to his aid and began fighting the Winter Soldier together, using their combined skill to try and subdue the assassin. However, the Winter Soldier's remarkable strength allowed him to defeat the pair and smashing Carter against a table before attempting to use his Prosthetic Arm to strangle Romanoff to death, despite her attempts to reason with him.
The Winter Soldier was again stopped from killing one of his own allies when T'Challa charged in and began fighting his enemy, proving that even without his Panther Habit he remained a fierce opponent to the Winter Soldier. The pair proved to be eventually matched as they each managed to briefly subdue the other until T'Challa was able to kick the Winter Soldier down a stairway where he managed to escape towards the rooftop.
Having gotten to the helipad, the Winter Soldier ripped the cables away and prepared to make his escape from the building; however, not before Rogers found his friend and refused to allow him to leave. Using all his might, Rogers grabbed ahold of the helicopter and pulled it back down towards the helipad, with the Winter Soldier watching as Rogers managed to pull it towards the ground despite the Soldier's attempts to fly away.
Seeing that Rogers would not allow him to leave, the Winter Soldier instead crashed the helicopter towards him, hoping to decapitate him with the blades. When Rogers survived, the Winter Soldier grabbed him by the throat as they fell into the river below. During the crash, Barnes hit his head and was knocked unconscious. Rogers then rescued his friend from drowning and took him to a warehouse as police helicopters continued their search.
Understanding Zemo's Plan
Later, Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson, not knowing if Barnes was still activated as the Winter Soldier or not, trapped his metal arm in a vice leaving him defenseless and unable to continue fighting or running. When Barnes woke up, he recognized Rogers, prompting him to ask Barnes whether it was him or the Winter Soldier speaking. Barnes replied that Rogers' mother's name was Sarah and that he had worn newspapers in his shoes, personal facts that only Barnes knew that were not in a museum.
Rogers and Wilson discussed the situation, deciding they would not call Tony Stark and Wilson saying he knew a guy who could assist them in Stark's place. Barnes also revealed he was not the only Winter Soldier, and Helmut Zemo, the man posing as Doctor Theo Broussard, was seeking the program's Siberian training facility to presumably free the other Winter Soldiers from cryostasis, and then unleash them upon the world to cause chaos.
Stealing a car, the three went to meet with Sharon Carter, who had recovered Captain America's Shield and the EXO-7 Falcon. While Rogers spoke with Carter, Barnes asked Wilson if he could move his seat forward in the car to give him more room, but Wilson refused, as he still disliked Barnes due to their many fights. When Rogers and Carter shared a brief but passionate kiss before she departed, both Barnes and Wilson smiled at their friend.
Having regained their equipment, the group met with Clint Barton, who had successfully rescued Wanda Maximoff from the New Avengers Facility and had also recruited Scott Lang into their cause. While Lang expressed his delight in being invited to join the fight, Barnes listened as he overheard an announcement saying that the nearby airport was being evacuated due to Iron Man's arrival and translated this for everybody else to understand.
With time running out to find Helmut Zemo before he could reactivate the Winter Soldiers, Barnes and the rest of the assembled members of Captain America's team arrived at the airport to locate him. Barnes and the Falcon took position inside the building while Rogers was confronted by Iron Man and the people supporting his views of the Sokovia Accords, advising Rogers to hand himself and Barnes over to Thaddeus Ross for questioning before the situation got even worse.
When Rogers made his move, Barnes and the Falcon ran to their position, only to find themselves being followed and confronted by Spider-Man. When Spider-Man attacked and kicked Falcon away, Barnes tried to hit him, but the hero caught his Prosthetic Arm and commented on how cool it was. A fight then broke out with Falcon and Spider-Man chasing each other while Barnes threw items at Spider-Man, only for them to be thrown back at him.
As the fight continued throughout the airport, Barnes found the Falcon had been almost subdued by Spider-Man, who had used his Web-Shooters to pin him to a wall. When Barnes attempted to assist his ally, they were both knocked off a platform and pinned to the floor with Spider-Man's webbing. When Spider-Man tried to mock them, Falcon used Redwing to throw him out of the building, at which point Barnes mocked him for not doing that sooner.
Rejoining the rest of his teammates, Barnes attempted to run for the Quinjet to escape, only to find that their path was blocked by Vision, who used the power of the Mind Stone to stop them and insisted that they surrender now before it was too late. As Barnes and Rogers' team faced off against Iron-Man's team, it became clear that their views of the Sokovia Accords would not change. Seeing no other alternative, Rogers ordered his team to fight and together they ran forward against their opponents.
Barnes quickly found himself engaged in a one on one fight with the furiously vengeful Black Panther. As the battle raged on, Barnes managed to wrap his Prosthetic arm around the throat of the Panther Habit, while locked together, Barnes tried to insist that he was not responsible for the death of T'Chaka, but Black Panther only questioned why he had run when confronted about it.
Not accepting his plea of innocence, Black Panther managed to gain the upper hand and kicked Barnes across the runway. Once Barnes was on the ground and recovering from the blow, the Panther then attempted to cut his throat with his claws. However, Scarlet Witch intervened and used her powers to stop Black Panther's hand inches before he cuts Barnes, stopping him before he could kill his enemy; she then launched him across the runway.
Having regrouped with Captain America, Barnes listened in as the group, including Hawkeye agreed that the only way to win this war as if a lot of them lost the battle of Iron Man's team while Rogers and Barnes escaped. Knowing that it would be almost impossible to reach the Quinjet without being stopped, Ant-Man volunteered to make a distraction, turning himself into his giant form and attacking War Machine while Barnes and Rogers ran to the Quinjet.
While Giant-Man caused chaos, both Barnes and Rogers ran to the Quinjet, almost being stopped when the Vision tried to destroy a tower to block their path, although Maximoff ensured it stayed up long enough for them to make it under. They were then confronted by Black Widow who considered stopping them, but knowing Rogers would not stop, decided to use her own Taser Disks to keep Black Panther at bay while they escaped on the Quinjet.
While traveling on the Quinjet having escaped from Iron Man's team, Barnes asked Rogers what would likely happen to the members of the Avengers who were supporting his cause. Although Rogers claimed he did not know, he, in fact, knew that Thaddeus Ross would send them to the Raft. Although Barnes questioned if his life was worth all this suffering, Rogers insisted that everything he had done while a HYDRA assassin was not his own fault.
Upon arriving in Siberia at the Facility there, Barnes armed himself before he and Captain America then discussed their time growing up together in the 1940s, with Rogers teasing Barnes over a time when he had attempted to seduce Dolores by spending their bus money to win her the stuffed bear. When Barnes noted how Dolores would be over a hundred years old, Rogers then noted that they were too.
While they both had explored the facility, they were soon alerted to a noise in the elevator and had discovered Iron Man had arrived. While Barnes aimed his gun at Stark, fearing that he was still his true enemy, he revealed that he had discovered recently Barnes' own innocence regarding T'Chaka's death and followed them to Siberia to form a truce to capture Helmut Zemo, with Stark convincing Barnes to lower his weapon eventually as he established his peace.
Having established their peace for the time being, the group had then explored the facility while searching for their target, they had soon discovered that all of the Winter Soldiers had been shot in their Cryostasis Chambers while they were still asleep, seemingly destroying their theory that they were planned to be unleashed upon the world. They all then discovered Zemo had always been watching them, noting that Zemo had never actually intended to have more Winter Soldiers in the world. While his allies confronted Zemo over why he had killed innocent people to bring them there, Barnes kept his gun raised at Zemo, ready to fire upon him if needed.
While Rogers personally confronted him, Zemo revealed that he had in fact been from Sokovia and had lost his entire family during their terrible final fight between the Avengers and Ultron. While Barnes had watched on with horror, Zemo unleashed his plan by using the security footage of Howard Stark's own fatal "car crash" to reveal Barnes was responsible for the deaths of Stark's parents, having been sent to steal the Super Soldier Serum from them.
Iron Man, blinded by his utter rage upon learning who had actually killed his own mother and father, attacked Barnes and did not listen to Rogers' explanation that HYDRA made Barnes kill them via brainwashing, resulting in a fight with both Barnes and Captain America. Although Barnes attempted to defend himself, Iron Man had thrown him across the facility and pinned him down, furiously attempting to avenge his parents' murder at Barnes' hands.
Despite Captain America attempting to come to his rescue, Barnes was still pinned down as Iron Man knocked back his former friend and launched the Winter Soldier into the air. Once airborne, Iron Man had attempted to fire a rocket directly into Barnes' face, which he deflected and caused much of the facility to crumble around them. While this fight continued, Zemo silently made his escape, satisfied that he had caused this utterly terrible rift between the heroes.
Having just freed himself by Iron Man's vengeful rampage, Captain America then ordered Barnes to then desperately attempt to flee through the top of the silo, while he held back Iron Man. While the Winter Soldier attempted to make it up the several platforms to reach freedom, Iron Man had furiously followed him despite considerable damage to his Mark XLVI Armor. Although Iron Man almost reached him, Captain America came to his aid and helped him escape.
Despite having dept him at bay, for the time being, Captain America acknowledged that Iron Man was not going to stop and ordered the Winter Soldier to escape while he could, while Captain America still attempted to keep him at bay. Despite having Captain America still fighting him, Iron Man still managed to prevent the Winter Soldier from escaping as he destroyed the hatch by firing his missile at it, keeping Barnes trapped inside the facility.
Now trapped with the man who had furiously wanted him dead, the Winter Soldier then desperately tried to defend himself by using a steel beam before Iron Man locked him into a headlock. As Iron Man questioned if he even remembered killing his parents, Barnes then responded by insisting that he remembered every single person he had been forced to murder while working for HYDRA before Captain America had managed to separate their furious conflict.
Witnessing Captain America furiously fighting to defend him as Iron Man demanded vengeance for his mother's murder, Barnes furiously grabbed Captain America's Shield and attacked Iron Man, as the Winter Soldier and Captain America both fought together to defeat the enraged Iron Man who was determined to gain revenge for the murder of his parents. Once Captain America had been subdued, the Winter Soldier furiously fought against Iron Man on his own.
The fight ended when the Winter Soldier had furiously attempted to rip out Stark's own Arc Reactor, which then had just resulted with Barnes' Bionic Arm destroyed by a powerful blast of energy. Captain America then responded by disabling Stark's Arc Reactor, shutting down the armor Stark was using. Now fugitives, the two then fled the facility, Captain America laying down his shield, as Stark's father was the one who created it and therefore still technically owned it.
Once outside the facility, Rogers and Barnes were then confronted by the Black Panther, who revealed that he had overheard everything and had already apprehended Helmut Zemo. Before leaving to take Zemo to Everett Ross, Black Panther then told Barnes that he had sources in Wakanda that could help remove HYDRA's programming. As Rogers went to save his teammates from the Raft, Barnes stayed behind in the Quinjet, his injuries making him unable to assist.
Treatment in Wakanda
- "Sure about this?"
"I can't trust my own mind. So until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head, I think going back under is the best thing."
- ―Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes
Some weeks after the Escape from the Raft, Barnes was granted asylum within Wakanda and had all of the remains of his mostly-destroyed robotic arm removed. Barnes and Steve Rogers were then told by T'Challa that Barnes would have to return to cryo-sleep stasis to have a better chance of having his Winter Soldier programming removed.
Though Rogers disagreed, he left the choice to Barnes, who decided to give it a chance. Once Shuri had explained how she intended to remove the HYDRA programming, Barnes willingly went back into cryogenic sleep until all their Wakandan scientists could cure him of HYDRA's brainwashing. As Barnes went under the ice, Rogers then stood by his friend and offered him support as they said goodbye to each other once again just before Barnes was then refrozen.
Worried that the governments of the world would invade Wakanda for harboring Barnes, Rogers spoke with King T'Challa, who mockingly dared them to try, claiming that both Barnes and his father were now victims as Helmut Zemo's actions and therefore, he wanted to help Barnes find peace however he could. Months later, Shuri voiced her idea to "reset" Barnes to remove the trigger words to T'Challa as she continued her work to try and help him return to a normal life.
After having his brainwashing cured, Barnes later brought out of cryo-stasis by Shuri and began his recuperation in a remote Wakandan village. One morning, Barnes, who had been titled as the "White Wolf", woke to find himself being pestered by a trio of Wakandan children before Shuri arrived to help with his rehabilitation. As he looked over the river, Shuri stood with Barnes and asked how he was feeling, to which Barnes told her he was feeling good and then thanked Shuri for all of her work.
Recruited to Fight
- "Where's the fight?"
"On its way."
- ―Bucky Barnes and T'Challa
Having had his mind repaired by Shuri, Barnes' recovery continued as he had begun to work as a farmer within Wakanda to try and gain some normality back into his life and find his inner peace away from his life as an assassin for HYDRA. However, Barnes' attempts at a peaceful life were shattered when T'Challa and Okoye visited him, needing his help as T'Challa noted that the White Wolf had rested for long enough.
Barnes had then greeted them both while he saw T'Challa had come bearing a new Cybernetic Arm to replace the one that Tony Stark had destroyed in Siberia. Without any hesitation, Barnes asked where the fight was, knowing this would be the only reason why T'Challa would bring him a new arm. T'Challa told him that the fight was currently on its way as Thanos was attempting to unite all of the Infinity Stones in a final effort to wipe out half of all life in the entire universe.
Barnes accepted the mission to defend the Earth, attaching his new arm to his body as he joined T'Challa and the Dora Milaje in greeting all of the remaining members of the Avengers once they had arrived in Wakanda in an attempt to protect Vision from Thanos' forces and ensure Thanos would not get his hands onto the Mind Stone. While T'Challa then explained their situation, Barnes greeted the team and reunited with his old friend, Steve Rogers as the pair shared a hug.
While the Avengers then met with Shuri to try and figure out a way to remove the Mind Stone from the Vision without killing him, Barnes and Falcon stood outside where they noticed Thanos' army arriving. Barnes and Falcon had then watched as Thanos' dropships began to crash onto Wakanda's protective dome, which exploded on contact and making Barnes declare that he loved Wakanda. However, Barnes then saw more dropships began to land outside of the dome.
The heroes joined together and headed towards the fields to fight off any attacks in order to protect Vision. When his allies had returned from talking with the Black Order, Barnes asked if the enemy were going to surrender, and Captain America informed him they were not. Barnes watched on as Proxima Midnight then initiated the attack, releasing an army of Outriders who began to kill themselves while attempting to breach the dome.
When a few Outriders managed to get through the barrier, Barnes along with other Wakandan soldiers fired at the Outriders before they could reach them. Once Black Panther opened the barriers so they could directly fight them, Barnes took out several Outriders with his gun, until one attacked him and knocked his gun away, slaying it with his knife. Once Barnes started to become overwhelmed by the army, he was saved from their grasp once Thor arrived along with Rocket Raccoon and Groot via the Bifrost Bridge.
During the battle, Barnes crossed paths with Rocket and the two became surrounded by Outriders. Barnes picked up Rocket and spun in a circle while both fired their weapons, cutting down a number of the enemy. Rocket then inquired how much Barnes wanted to sell his gun for, to which Barnes replied that it was not for sale. Rocket then inquired about Barnes' prosthetic arm; Barnes walked off, leaving Rocket to mutter that he was definitely going to get that arm.
- ―Bucky Barnes to Steve Rogers
As Thanos himself finally took to the field of battle, Barnes attempted to stop him from taking the Mind Stone from Vision, only for the Mad Titan to effortlessly blast him away with the Power Stone after Barnes' shots proved to be completely useless against him. Uniting the six Infinity Stones on his gauntlet, Thanos snapped his fingers and wiped out half of the universe's population. Barnes called out to Steve Rogers just as he disintegrated into dust in front of him and Thor.
- "Avengers... Assemble!"
- ―Captain America
Five years after the Snap, the Avengers went back in time to obtain the six Infinity Stones in order to undo the Snap, leading to Bruce Banner using the Nano Gauntlet to resurrect everyone who was affected. With the help of inter-dimensional portals created by the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Barnes arrived from Wakanda on the battlefield alongside the other Avengers and their combined forces to face Thanos and his army.
During the battle, Barnes shot down Thanos' soldiers with Rocket Raccoon, and continued fighting until Iron Man stole the Infinity Stones and inserted them into his armor. Stark then wiped out Thanos and his army at the cost of his own life.
Steve Rogers' Retirement
- "Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."
"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."
- ―Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes
Later, he is present with Wilson and Bruce Banner when Steve Rogers is preparing to return the Infinity Stones and Mjølnir to their proper places in time, via a newly-constructed Quantum Tunnel. Barnes shares a fond farewell with his best friend before watching him depart.
Rogers fails to return to the present after the scheduled five seconds, but Barnes appeared calm and turned away to spot an old man sitting alone on a bench near the lake. He immediately recognizes this man as a much older Steve Rogers.
Barnes calls Wilson over and beckons him to approach Rogers, having been aware of his plan to return to Peggy Carter in the past. Barnes then watches proudly as Rogers passes his shield onto Wilson.
- "This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck."
"It always ends in a fight."
- ―Captain America and Winter Soldier
Bucky Barnes was extremely devoted, loyal, headstrong and patriotic and had a strong moral center. He was a good and close friend to Steve Rogers during their youth; he helped him when he got into fights and tried to cheer him up and look after him when Rogers' mother died. Best friends since childhood, they went through many trials and tribulations together. He was also protective of Rogers, as demonstrated when Steve planned to enlist in the United States Army. Barnes tried to talk him out of it, as he knew he would die because of his physical condition and poor health.
Due to his advanced physiology, however, Barnes survived his apparent death but was found by HYDRA instead. Trained as a living weapon, Barnes became a new man so to speak, as his memories and identity were constantly being wiped until he was augmented into the perfect assassin, the Winter Soldier. As the Winter Soldier, he was brutal and ruthless with an utter lack of conscience, and remorselessly followed HYDRA's every order. Even so, he still saved Steve Rogers from drowning after the Insight Helicarrier blew up. Although he tells Steve he did not know why he did it, it was due to Rogers reminding him of who he was, to which he initially reacted with violence before finally accepting the truth of it.
While he still holds a mostly serious demeanor, he retains a sense of humor, as shown when he and Falcon both smiled with approval at Rogers' kiss with Sharon Carter and later as he and Captain America reminisced over earlier times in their friendship. His sense of humor can also be dry at times, as shown when he asked Wilson why he couldn't use Redwing on Spider-Man earlier.
Even though Barnes has regained his identity and former values, he has also developed a guilt-ridden conscience, and became deeply ashamed and remorseful over his actions as the Winter Soldier. He previously stated that he has an absolute memory of every person he has killed, and knows and freely acknowledges with a tone of great regret that the fact he was brainwashed does not change the fact that he killed them. Upon watching his murder of Howard and Maria Stark, he was clearly visibly stunned and ashamed of what he had done. Fearing for his mental state and anyone around him, Barnes ultimately decided that placing himself in cryogenic stasis until he can be cured of HYDRA's mental programming completely would be the best course of action.
After being cured of HYDRA's programming, Barnes appears to have come to terms with his past. As the White Wolf, Barnes lived quietly in Wakanda, where he spent his time entertaining children and farming until T'Challa asked for his assistance in the Battle of Wakanda. When presented with a replacement cybernetic arm, Barnes, recognizing its meaning, didn't hesitate to join his allies in the battle.
Powers and Abilities
Artificially Enhanced Physiology and Bionic Arm: Barnes was one of many prisoners of war used in Zola's quest to recreate the Super Soldier Serum and received an alternate formula variation. There were no apparent effects at the time of his rescue by Steve Rogers, but the changes the serum caused in Barnes' body were sufficient to let him survive to plunge into an icy river at the bottom of a fall that should have killed him. Zola further refined Barnes' body in the Winter Soldier Program, ultimately creating an enhanced soldier with physical abilities equal to the Captain America, and without mental enhancements or psychological instabilities which continue to plague similar programs into the 21st century. Like Captain America, he too has early levels of superhuman conditioning, due to his Super-Soldier physiology. He was also equipped with a titanium arm capable of deflecting bullets, and was later given a new Vibranium Arm after losing his original one.
- Enhanced Strength: As the Winter Soldier, Barnes's physical strength is immensely enhanced to the early levels of a superhuman condition by a series of treatments performed on him by HYDRA scientists. He has used his legs and right arm to strike enemies with tremendous force and his physical might is easily on par with Captain America.
- Bionic Arm: HYDRA also removed the remnants of Barnes' severed left arm and replaced the missing limb with a cybernetic one. The bionic arm gives him extraordinary superhuman strength, superior to that of Captain America's strength, though not quite on par with that of Spider-Man. Winter Soldier was able to rip open a S.H.I.E.L.D armored SUV, rip apart Falcon's EXO-7 suit, and smash concrete by punching it. With his bionic arm supporting his already enhanced natural strength, the Winter Soldier was shown to be able to overpower Captain America in a fight. Furthermore, the bionic arm also allows Winter Soldier to slightly damage Iron Man's Mark XLVII Armor (chest plate and glove) during his fight.
- Superhuman Durability: Winter Soldier's cybernetic arm is incredibly resistant to physical damage. The cybernetic arm is shown to be bulletproof, made evident when Barnes used the arm to block several gunshots from a German officer. After losing his original cybernetic arm, Barnes was given a new vibranium one by Black Panther. This new arm grants him even higher durability due to it being composed of vibranium, as well as the benefit of being vibration absorbent.
- Bionic Arm: HYDRA also removed the remnants of Barnes' severed left arm and replaced the missing limb with a cybernetic one. The bionic arm gives him extraordinary superhuman strength, superior to that of Captain America's strength, though not quite on par with that of Spider-Man. Winter Soldier was able to rip open a S.H.I.E.L.D armored SUV, rip apart Falcon's EXO-7 suit, and smash concrete by punching it. With his bionic arm supporting his already enhanced natural strength, the Winter Soldier was shown to be able to overpower Captain America in a fight. Furthermore, the bionic arm also allows Winter Soldier to slightly damage Iron Man's Mark XLVII Armor (chest plate and glove) during his fight.
- Enhanced Durability: Winter Soldier's bones and muscles are apparently vastly denser and more resilient than a normal human's. He even managed to survive a fatal fall from immense heights into the Daube River in the Swiss Alps. Arnim Zola's further experiments greatly fortified his physique to the extent that he routinely leaps from significant heights onto hard surfaces and lands without any apparent injury. Bucky was able to leap off a bridge onto the top of a car below, crushing the roof and shattering the windows while he was unfazed by the landing. He was also able to withstand blows from various opponents that would have seriously injured or killed an average person. Winter Soldier withstood getting brutally hit by Iron Man and his energy blast.
- Enhanced Speed: Winter Soldier's speed is tremendously enhanced beyond the peak of human potential, moving into the early levels of superhuman condition. Barnes' speed is equal to both Black Panther and Captain America, as he was able to stay ahead of them with a slight head start. In combat, he can easily keep up with the extremely agile Black Widow and Black Panther.
- Enhanced Agility: Winter Soldier's enhanced agility is superior to even Olympic gold medalists. He could quickly leap on top of midsize cars in a single bound while running and do complicated acrobatic flips in order to avoid gunfire, and to quickly dive into cover.
- Enhanced Stamina: Winter Soldier's musculature produces far fewer fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human, allowing him to exert himself at peak capacity for hours before tiring. Hence, he could endure the Clash of the Avengers and the later showdown at the HYDRA Research Base without showing signs of fatigue.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Winter Soldier's reflexes are enhanced to extraordinary levels. His reflexes are responsive enough to catch Captain America's shield being thrown at him at a high velocity. He was also able to catch enemy grenades thrown at him, dodge fire from Falcon's Steyr SPPs, and leap on top of a moving car accelerating towards him with pinpoint accuracy.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Winter Soldier's body is able to heal with extraordinary speed and efficiency, at a rate well beyond that of a regular human being, though he is unable to regenerate missing limbs. This may be one of the factors of his survival from the Swiss Alps. His healing has also allowed him to quickly recover from injuries received in battle; the injuries he had received during combat with Iron Man healed in a matter of days without bruising or scarring.
- Master Martial Artist: Winter Soldier is an extremely skilled and formidable martial artist and hand-to-hand combatant, excelling at improvisation and weapons handling. Originally, Barnes was a three-time YMCA welterweight boxing champion. Later, as the first Winter Soldier, Barnes received vast training from HYDRA, as well as the United States Armed Forces. Combined with his enhanced physical abilities, Barnes became a dangerous master assassin who can slaughter dozens of enemies alone, take on and even overpower extremely skilled combatants such as Black Widow and Falcon with relative ease, be in charge of training the other Winter Soldiers, and go toe-to-toe with the likes of Black Panther and even Captain America himself. The two engaged in a brutal one-on-one fight, both matching each other with every move, though Rogers was ultimately able to defeat him in their second duel, he later beat Rogers after being released by Zemo, catching him off guard. Barnes also single-handedly killed up to a dozen well-armed Quinjet pilots in a single encounter, and escaped uninjured. Barnes easily overpowered a suitless Tony Stark, Sharon Carter, and Black Widow, all in rapid succession and fought evenly with Black Panther. Barnes also held his own repeatedly against T'Challa, even when he wears his Panther Habit. Although Barnes was briefly outmatched by Iron Man in Mark XLVII Armor, he later managed to beat him to submission. He employs mixed martial arts that include elements of Systema, Karate, Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, and Kali.
- Knife Mastery: Winter Soldier excels in knife fighting with an emphasis in Kali knife fighting. The Winter Soldier usually resorts to his combat knife in close quarters combat. He usually holds the knife in his natural hand and uses his bionic arm for support should he need more force to overpower an opponent, using a downward stab or tossing it between hands to advance his assault.
- Master Marksman: Barnes is highly proficient in handling firearms with remarkable precision, even prior to being turned into the Winter Soldier. During World War II, he shot a HYDRA operative that even Captain America did not see until he was down. As the Winter Soldier, he became an even deadlier master marksman. He accurately fired a single round through Black Widow's stomach and into a nuclear scientist that she was protecting, killing him. Winter Soldier is also capable of making long-range shots without the use of a rifle, for example, shooting Nick Fury multiple times through the wall of Steve Rogers' apartment and from the top of another building. As the Winter Soldier, Barnes has caught and handled Captain America's Shield on two occasions and showed impressive ability in doing so. He was also able to use his gun to swiftly take out many Outriders during the Battle of Wakanda. He even attempted to shoot Thanos to prevent him from extracting the Mind Stone out of Vision, only to be subdued by Thanos, who blasted him into the bushes with the Power Stone.
- Master Assassin: Winter Soldier is a master assassin. Ever since he's been brainwashed, Winter Soldier has lived in complete anonymity with most of the intelligence community not even believing he exists. He's been credited with over two dozen of HYDRA's most crucial assassinations in the last 50 years. He was even able to shoot Nick Fury while himself outside of Rogers' apartment, and shoot through Black Widow to take out his target.
- Master Acrobat: Due to his extraordinarily enhanced agility and reflexes, Winter Soldier has shown immense capability in using flips to evade fire such as when he flipped to cover when he was being shot at by Falcon's Steyr SPPs. He could also maintain the balance of a moving motorcycle he was utilizing while engaged in a fight with Black Panther.
- Expert Pilot: Winter Soldier was able to hijack a Quinjet after killing the pilot, he also effortlessly flew a helicopter in Berlin.
- Multilingualism: Barnes speaks his native English, as well as fluent Romanian and seasoned Russian (albeit with a thick accent). It is shown that he can also understand (and possibly speak) German. He most likely is able to speak and understand a multitude of other languages as well, seeing as he mentioned that the other Winter Soldiers knew over thirty languages.
World War II Weapons
- Colt M1911A1: Barnes was issued an M1911A1 as his sidearm during World War II. He carried it after joining Captain America and the Howling Commandos in a series of attacks across Europe. Barnes resorted to using it in a mission to capture Arnim Zola, when he ran out of ammunition in his primary weapon.
- M1928A1 Thompson: Barnes carried an M1928A1 as his weapon of choice during World War II, using it during the attacks led by Captain America against HYDRA across Europe. He also carried it during his final mission to capture Arnim Zola, running out of ammunition when he was ambushed inside the train.
- M1941 Johnson rifle: Barnes was the sniper of the squad who was led by Captain America during World War II, the Howling Commandos. When he acted as such during missions against HYDRA. He used the rifle once to save Captain America himself from a soldier who almost shot him while he was examining a destroyed HYDRA base.
- M1903A1 Springfield: Barnes used this sniper rifle during the Battle of Azzano, in an attempt to battle German forces in Italy. Despite his efforts, he was captured along the rest of his unit by HYDRA, and taken to one of its facilities as forced labor.
Winter Soldier's Arsenal
While working for HYDRA, the Winter Soldier carried a vast array of weapons for combat, adapting his uniform with customized holsters to carry them. He was also usually handed extra weapons by his support henchmen and kept relying on firearms for battle even after HYDRA collapsed and he overcame his brainwashing.
- Gerber Mark II Combat knife: The Winter Soldier's weapon of choice in close quarters combat. He had one holstered on his right thigh. He used it against Captain America while confronting him on the streets of Washington, D.C. and inside one of Project Insight Helicarriers.
- Gerber Yari ll Tanto: The Winter Soldier was equipped with 2 of these knives. They were holstered with the hilts facing opposite sides on his lower back. He used one against Captain America during their battle on the streets of Washington, D.C. and another one inside one of the Project Insight Helicarriers, successfully stabbing Rogers in the shoulder.
- Benchmade SOCP Dagger: The Winter Soldier was equipped with this knife. He carried it in a holster next to his Gerber Mark ll, though he was never seen using it.
- Bayonet knife: Barnes had this knife holstered on his right thigh during the Battle of Wakanda. He used it to kill an Outrider who tackled him to the ground.
- Beretta 92FS Inox: The Winter Soldier carried this gun during his mission to assassinate Howard Stark. He shot at one of the wheel's of Stark's car, causing an accident, and then proceeded to kill both Stark and his wife Maria with his hands in order to make it pass as an actual accident. Once the couple was dead and he had retrieved the Super Soldier Serum that Stark was carrying, the Winter Soldier used his gun again to destroy a nearby security camera which recorded the incident.
- SIG-Sauer P220ST: The Winter Soldier's weapon of choice, a semi-automatic pistol heavily used by armed forces and police of many countries. He used it against Captain America while confronting him on the streets of Washington, D.C. and inside one of Project Insight Helicarriers.
- SIG-Sauer P226R: The Winter Soldier dual-wielded the SIG-Sauer P226R along with a Glock 19, using them against Captain America during their final confrontation inside one of the Project Insight Helicarriers.
- Glock 19: The Winter Soldier dual-wielded the Glock 19 along with a SIG-Sauer P226R, using them against Captain America during their final confrontation inside one of the Project Insight Helicarriers.
- Glock 17: Barnes took one of this handguns from security staff at the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre Building. Tony Stark prevented him from using it to kill two security guards and engaged Barnes, who shot at Stark at point-blank range. Stark was able to block the bullet with his Iron Man Gauntlet, before dismantling the handgun to disable it.
- COP .357 Derringer: A very small gun that the Winter Soldier carried in the right thigh custom holster. He tried to use it against Steve Rogers in the streets of Washington, D.C. while he was distracted, but he could not fire as Natasha Romanoff shot a grenade at him.
- Intratec TEC-38: A very small gun that the Winter Soldier carried in the right thigh custom holster.
- Vz.61 Skorpion: A sub-machine gun carried on the back of his vest. Steve Rogers forced him to use it as he had to drop his assault rifle, but Rogers quickly disarmed him. He later used it to kill a Quinjet pilot at the Triskelion, stealing the jet to board a Helicarrier.
- Colt M4A1 with a M203 Grenade Launcher: A fully automatic carbine and the standard weapon used by S.H.I.E.L.D. Strike Team members, outfitted with a grenade launcher. The Winter Soldier was handed one of them by one of the mercenaries that accompanied him on the streets of Washington, D.C. while trying to kill Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff, using both the grenade launcher and the assault rifle against them. He lost it during the battle, but he obtained another in the Triskelion, and used to kill all the S.H.I.E.L.D. pilots that were about to board their Quinjets and help Captain America.
- Barrett M82A1M: A heavy rifle that the Winter Soldier used as a sniper rifle during an assassination. He was captured in a photograph released by the press, but his image was so blurry and small that it needed technological enhancements to be distinguished.
- M249 SAW Paratrooper: Barnes obtained this machine gun from Black Widow's equipment locker inside the Quinjet and took it to infiltrate the HYDRA Siberian Facility with Steve Rogers. However, he was unable to use it, as Tony Stark disarmed him as soon as he engaged Barnes and Rogers.
- M249 SAW: Barnes was given this gun by Black Panther to assist in the upcoming Battle of Wakanda. He put down many Outriders with it, and used it in conjunction while holding Rocket Raccoon, aiming it with one hand.
- FN Mk 13: A grenade launcher customized to fire Disc Grenades. The Winter Soldier used it against Nick Fury's SUV, in an assassination attempt against Fury.
- Milkor MGL: A six-shot revolver-type grenade launcher, that the Winter Soldier used on the streets of Washington, D.C. against Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff. His first shot sent Rogers to the street down a highway, and he kept using it to destroy the cars that Romanoff used for cover until she also fell to the street.
- Disc Grenade: During the assassination attempt on Nick Fury, the Winter Soldier used a disc grenade to disable Nick Fury's SUV.
- M67 Grenade: The Winter Soldier caught a grenade thrown against him by one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents protecting the pilots at the Triskelion, and quickly threw it inside a Quinjet to destroy it.
- Ball Grenade: The Winter Soldier rolled a heavily-customized variant of the "Ручная Граната Наступательная (Ruchnaya Granata Nastupatel'naya)", a Soviet hand grenade, underneath a car towards what he thought was Natasha Romanoff, but was in reality just her phone. The Winter Soldier later used another grenade to destroy the roof of a tunnel while being chased by Black Panther and the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre hoping to trap his attackers and get away.
- Battering Ram: During a fight with the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, Barnes took a battering ram from them and briefly used it to fight against the agents before discarding it on his way out of the building.
- Bionic Arm: HYDRA designed a special titanium bionic arm to replace Barnes' lost arm, which he lost after falling from the train. During his transformation progress, he started to gain control over his new arm, strangling a HYDRA scientist. His new arm also had a red star on its shoulder, hinting that the Soviets who operated as HYDRA's allies had also participated in the process of Barnes's transformation into the Winter Soldier. During the Battle at the HYDRA Siberian Facility, Barnes' arm was disintegrated by Iron Man when he tried to rip the arc reactor out of the suit. T'Challa gave Barnes one built by Shuri soon before the Battle of Wakanda; the new arm functioned much the same as HYDRA's one, but with enhancements stemming from the use of vibranium.
- Captain America's Shield: Barnes had wielded Captain America's Shield on a few occasions. During the Capture of Arnim Zola Barnes briefly used the shield while trying to kill a HYDRA soldier but was unsuccessful. During the Attack on Nick Fury, Barnes shot Nick Fury and was chased by Captain America across rooftops. Captain America caught up to him on a rooftop and threw his shield at him. However, Barnes caught his shield with his bionic arm and threw it back at him, allowing Barnes to escape. During the Battle of Washington, D.C., Captain America and Barnes fought again and during that fight, Barnes managed to steal the shield and briefly used it against Captain America. During the Battle at the Triskelion Barnes briefly used the shield against Captain America by throwing it at him. During the Battle at the HYDRA Siberian Facility, Captain America and Barnes fought Iron Man, as the fight continued, Barnes used the shield against Iron Man alongside Captain America.
- Uniform: HYDRA designed a lightweight tactical suit for the Winter Soldier, complete with a half-face mask in an attempt to conceal his true identity from the world. The uniform is constructed from Nomex thread and Kevlar fiber. The lightweight suit provided resistance to small arms fire and had advanced flexibility for close quarters combat. In addition, he also sometimes wore bulletproof tinted goggles to further conceal his face and for eye protection.
- Grapple Device: A line cable firing device that automatically entangles a limb of flying or fleeing culprit, thus preventing their escape. Winter Soldier used this cable to pull the Falcon out of the air by his wing.
- Memory Suppressing Machine: When Barnes was captured by HYDRA, his mind was then wiped which removed any memories of his time fighting in World War II and his friendship with Captain America. Before his upcoming missions, the Winter Soldier would have his mind wiped once again, to ensure that he remained an empty vessel of a man who would obey HYDRA's orders without question. Following his brief encounter with Rogers, the Winter Soldier began questioning his past, leading to Alexander Pierce ordering that the Winter Soldier be put back into the machine and have his mind wiped yet again.
- Cryostasis Chamber: During his time as an assassin for HYDRA, Barnes was placed in a cryostasis chamber to be kept under control. HYDRA would only unfreeze him when they had a mission ready. That way, he could last for decades, and not succumb to age and become wasted. As soon as the mission was over, HYDRA would return him to this chamber. After finding asylum in Wakanda, Barnes voluntarily allowed himself to be placed in cryostasis until Wakandan scientists could find a way to reverse his brainwashing.
This section requires expansion
- HYDRA Siberian Facility: As an assassin for HYDRA, the Winter Soldier would report back to his HYDRA superiors in Siberia after he completed an assassination mission for the terrorist group. He would then be put under deep sleep under the Cryostasis Chamber to ensure that he would remain loyal towards HYDRA and emotionless towards those he killed. In 1991, Bucky was kept at the Siberian compound, the main headquarters of the Winter Soldier Program. After he assassinated Howard and Maria Stark and obtained all the Super Soldier Serum, five additional HYDRA assassins were chosen for candidates for the program. However, the soldiers instigated sedition against their HYDRA superiors, and they were eventually put under suspended animations. After, the Winter Soldier left the Siberian facility, although continuing to work for HYDRA, namely Alexander Pierce's division in America.
- Ideal Federal Savings Bank: To be added
- Wakanda Medical Center: To be added
|Appearances for Bucky Barnes|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, James Buchanan Barnes, named after the 15th President of the United States of America, James Buchanan, had a complicated romantic relationship with Black Widow, and took over the mantle of Captain America after Steve Rogers was assassinated by Crossbones.
- The story and characterization of Winter Soldier, who debuted in 2005, bears a striking resemblance to the character Gray Fox in the Metal Gear video games, specifically Metal Gear Solid. In both cases, Gray Fox/Winter Soldier is a ghost of the protagonist's past who comes back to haunt him, a former comrade who was previously thought dead, only to return as an enhanced superhuman antagonist after a brainwashing project, before eventually becoming an ally again.
Behind the Scenes
- Winter Soldier co-creator, Ed Brubaker appears in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as a HYDRA doctor who helps repair the Winter Soldier's mechanical arm.
- Sebastian Stan was uncredited for his appearances in Ant-Man and Black Panther.
- James Young, Jason Charles Hill, Greg Rementer, Jimmy N. Roberts, Justin Sundquist and Spencer Mulligan were stunt doubles for Sebastian Stan in the role of Winter Soldier.
- Colin Botts and Jared Leland Gore were stand-ins for Sebastian Stan in the role of Winter Soldier.
- ↑ Translates from Russian to "Soldier"
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Captain America: First Vengeance
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger Deleted Scene
- ↑ Marvel Studios Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Winter Soldier actor Sebastian Stan reveals that Bucky Barnes killed JFK in the MCU
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Translates from Russian to: "Longing, Rusted, Seventeen, Daybreak, Furnace, Nine, Benign, Homecoming, One, Freight Car. Soldier?
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Translates from Russian to: Ready to comply
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Ant-Man Post-credits Scene
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 Avengers: Infinity War Prelude
- ↑ Black Panther Post-credits scene
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Avengers: Infinity War
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ https://zombiesruineverything.com/2014/04/08/metal-gear-and-winter-soldier/