|For other uses, see What If...? (disambiguation)|
- "Time. Space. Reality. It's more than a linear path. It's a prism of endless possibility, where a single choice can branch out into infinite realities, creating alternate worlds from the ones you know. I am The Watcher. I am your guide through these vast new realities. Follow me, and ponder the question... What if?"
- ―The Watcher[src]
What If...? is an animated American web television series based on the Marvel Comics series of the same name. It is the sixteenth television series and the first animated series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The series is produced by Marvel Studios and was released on Disney+.
What if instead of Steve Rogers, Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) actually became the first Super Soldier? That creative brainstorming exercise is the heart of What If...?, the Marvel Cinematic Universe's first animated series. The anthology reimagines numerous major events from the movies in game-changing ways, and also features Chadwick Boseman, who was able to reprise T'Challa via voice work before his death.
After enlisting the Guardians of the Multiverse to stop Infinity Ultron, The Watcher returns in Season 2 of What If...? to meet new heroes and explore more strange new worlds in the MCU's ever-expanding Multiverse.
- Jeffrey Wright as Uatu/The Watcher (Seasons 1-2)
- Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter/Captain Carter (Seasons 1-2)
- Sebastian Stan as Sergeant Bucky Barnes / Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Season 1)
- Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark (Season 1)
- Stanley Tucci as Doctor Abraham Erskine (Season 1)
- Toby Jones as Doctor Arnim Zola / Doctor Arnim Zola (Season 1)
- Bradley Whitford as Colonel John Flynn (Season 1)
- Ross Marquand as Johann Schmidt/Red Skull / Ultron (Season 1)
- Darrell Hammond as General Roeder (Season 1)
- Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Star-Lord / T'Challa/Black Panther / T'Challa/Black Panther (Season 1)
- Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta (Season 1)
- Josh Brolin as Thanos (Season 1)
- Benicio del Toro as Taneleer Tivan/Collector (Season 1)
- Kurt Russell as Ego (Season 1)
- Ophelia Lovibond as Carina (Season 1)
- Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight (Season 1)
- Tom Vaughan-Lawlor as Ebony Maw / Ebony Maw (Season 1)
- Karen Gillan as Nebula / Nebula (Season 1)
- Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer (Season 1)
- John Kani as King T'Chaka / King T'Chaka (Season 1)
- Sean Gunn as Kraglin Obfonteri (Season 1)
- Chris Sullivan as Taserface (Season 1)
- Seth Green as Howard the Duck / Howard the Duck (Season 1)
- Danai Gurira as Okoye / Okoye / Okoye (Season 1)
- Samuel L. Jackson as Director Nick Fury / Director Nick Fury / Director Nick Fury (Season 1)
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye / Clint Barton/Hawkeye / Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Season 1)
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk / Bruce Banner/Hulk (Season 1)
- Tom Hiddleston as Prince Loki / Loki (Season 1)
- Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson / Agent Phil Coulson (Season 1)
- Jaimie Alexander as Lady Sif / Lady Sif (Season 1)
- Frank Grillo as Agent Brock Rumlow / Agent Brock Rumlow / Agent Brock Rumlow (Season 1)
- Lake Bell as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Season 1)
- Mick Wingert as Tony Stark/Iron Man / Tony Stark / Tony Stark/Iron Man / Tony Stark/Iron Man / Tony Stark/Iron Man (Season 1)
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange / Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange (Season 1)
- Rachel McAdams as Doctor Christine Palmer (Season 1)
- Benedict Wong as Master Wong (Season 1)
- Tilda Swinton as Ancient One (Season 1)
- Ike Amadi as O'Bengh/Cagliostro (Season 1)
- Leslie Bibb as Christine Everhart / Christine Everhart (Season 1)
- Paul Bettany as Vision / J.A.R.V.I.S. (Season 1)
- Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne/Wasp (Season 1)
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man (Season 1)
- Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan / Happy Hogan (Season 1)
- Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter (Season 1)
- David Dastmalchian as Kurt Goreshter (Season 1)
- Hudson Thames as Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Season 1)
- Michael B. Jordan as N'Jadaka/Erik Killmonger (Season 1)
- Angela Bassett as Queen Ramonda (Season 1)
- Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaue (Season 1)
- Don Cheadle as Colonel James Rhodes (Season 1)
- Chris Hemsworth as Prince Thor (Season 1)
- Natalie Portman as Doctor Jane Foster (Season 1)
- Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis (Season 1)
- Jeff Goldblum as En Dwi Gast/Grandmaster (Season 1)
- Cobie Smulders as Deputy Director Maria Hill (Season 1)
- Taika Waititi as Korg (Season 1)
- Alexandra Daniels as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel / Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel / Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel (Season 1)
- Rachel House as Topaz (Season 1)
- Josh Keaton as Steve Rogers/HYDRA Stomper / Steve Rogers/Captain America / President Steve Rogers (Season 1)
- Georges St-Pierre as Georges Batroc (Season 1)
On March 12, 2019, /Film reported that Marvel Studios was developing an animated television series based on the What If comic book series for Disney+ with Kevin Feige set to serve as an executive producer.
On April 11, 2019, during Disney’s 2019 Investor Day, it was announced that the series would premiere during the first year of Disney+. Kevin Feige also announced that each episode would explore a key moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and that first episode would explore what if Peggy Carter was given the Super Soldier Serum instead of Steve Rogers.
On July 20, 2019, at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Kevin Feige revealed most of the cast and announced that the series was scheduled to debut on Disney+ in the Summer of 2021. It was also announced that Jeffrey Wright would voice The Watcher in the series.
On December 18, 2019, Kevin Feige revealed that the first season of the series would consist of ten episodes and that the second season of ten episodes was already in pre-production.
On May 14, 2021, Entertainment Weekly reported that the series would premiere in August.
On July 8, 2021, it was announced that the series would premiere on August 11, 2021.
On August 2, 2021, in an interview with Collider, Brad Winderbaum revealed that first and second season of the series would consist of nine episodes each. That same day, Winderbaum also revealed that Captain Carter would appear in every season of the series.
On March 12, 2022, it was reported that the second season of the series was expected to premiere in 2022.
- BuzzFeedBrasil on Twitter - December 18, 2019
- Marvel's What If Season 2 Receives Promising Release Update
- An exclusive look at 26 of summer 2021's must-watch TV shows
- Disney+ Day 2021: ‘What If…?’ Season 2 Announced
- Exclusive: Marvel Studios Producing ‘What If’ TV Series For Disney+
- Your Complete Guide to Disney+ Entertainment
- Marvel Studios Brings First Animated Series 'Marvel's What If...?' to Disney+
- SDCC 2019: All of the Marvel Studios News Coming Out of Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con
- Variety’s L.A. Women’s Impact Report 2020
- 'What If… ?': Watch the New Trailer Now
- Exclusive: Marvel's 'What If...?' Episode Count Revealed — And It's Not What You Think
- What If...?'s Captain Carter Story Unfolds Over Multiple Seasons
- Marvel's What If Season 2 Confirmed To Include Phase 4 Movies
- Inside Marvel’s ‘What If…?’ Finale, Season 2 Plans and the T’Challa Spinoff That Never Was