The Mark III War Machine Armor was the second armor used by James Rhodes while he was an official member of the Avengers. It was created sometime after the Battle of Sokovia, as a replacement to the Mark II War Machine Armor. It was damaged by Vision at the Clash of the Avengers.
The armor was created following the Battle of Sokovia. Significantly bulkier than its predecessor, it incorporated much more firepower into its frame while also having flexibility and maneuverability on par with the Mark XLVI.
Arresting Captain America
Following a bombing during the ratification of the Sokovia Accords, the Winter Soldier was suspected of orchestrating the attack and was found in Bucharest. However, as Captain America and Falcon were aiding in the Winter Soldier's escape, Rhodes arrested the pair, as well as another mysterious assailant who revealed himself to be King T'Challa of Wakanda, much to the hero's surprise. As Captain America, Winter Soldier and T'Challa were being transported to Berlin, Rhodes was tasked with supervising clean-up.
Later, as a team led by Captain America attempted to steal a Quinjet, Rhodes accompanied a team led by Tony Stark to apprehend the renegades. During the ensuing fight, Rhodes used the armor's baton and was damaged by a combined attack from Captain America and Ant-Man. Rhodes later used his sonic weaponry to incapacitate Scarlet Witch when she tried to prevent a destroyed tower from blocking the Quinjet hangar.
As Captain America and Winter Soldier escaped aboard the aircraft, Rhodes and Tony pursued them. However, Vision accidentally disabled the armor when trying to fire a beam at Falcon, striking Rhodes instead and sending him plummeting towards the ground. Neither Iron Man or Falcon were able to reach him in time before the moment of impact. Rhodes survived the accident, but suffered severe spinal injuries that left him almost paralyzed.
- Superhuman Durability: Owing to the titanium composition, the armor gives its user an enhanced durability. During the Clash of the Avengers, the armor resisted being at the center of an explosion, Falcon's weapons, Giant Man's fists, being thrown into an airplane and Captain America's shield all with superficial damage. It was vulnerable however to the power of the Mind Stone, the blasts shearing off the arc reactor and causing it to plummet several hundred feet. The armor was durable enough however to remain intact following the crash and allowed Rhodes to survive his fall, albeit with a disability resulting from a severe spinal injury he suffered.
- Superhuman Strength: The armor amplifies its pilot's strength to superhuman levels. It allowed Rhodes, in concert with Stark, to topple Giant-Man as well as grab airport equipment with ease.
- Flight: The armor allows for flight via jets in the back, boots, and palm repulsors. While not as maneuverable, it is able to outpace the EXO-7 Falcon with ease.
- "Sorry, Cap. This won't kill you, but it ain't gonna tickle either."
- ―War Machine to Captain America
- War Hammer: A non-lethal melee weapon. It looks like an energy emitting collapsible baton. It is able to emit concussive force on impact. It was stored in the right side of the armor's back, but was destroyed in the Clash of the Avengers.
- Machine Guns: Two small machine guns are stored in the anterior forearms. Two dual barrel machine guns are stored in the posterior forearms.
- Missile Launchers: The armor is equipped with multiple Missile Launchers. Launchers, each stored with three miniature guided missiles, are located in the two shoulder harnesses and another retractable launcher with six other miniature missiles at the back of the right shoulder. A small portion of this formidable arsenal was capable of completely destroying a bus.
- Back Machine Gun: Like the War Machine Mark II, the Mark III is equipped with a long, thin, rifled gun mounted on the shoulder. Improving over the Mark II's double-barreled gun, the Mark III's gun has four barrels. Unlike with Mark II, the Mark III has no V-track for the Machine gun to slide on with the left shoulder for the machine gun and the right for the War Hammer and missile launchers.
- Stark Sonic Cannon: The armor was equipped with the Stark Sonic Cannon on the back of the right hand, which can release high-frequency pulses.
- Repulsors: The Mark III has repulsors in the palms.
- Unibeam: A more powerful version of the hand repulsors mounted on the chest.
- There is an Ultron Sentry kill count of 22 on the right side of the War Machine Armor: Mark III's chest.
| Mark I • Mark II • Mark III • Mark IV • Mark V • Mark VI • Mark VII|
Mark VIII • Mark IX • Mark X • Mark XI • Mark XII • Mark XIII • Mark XIV • Mark XV • Mark XVI • Mark XVII •
Mark XVIII • Mark XIX • Mark XX • Mark XXI • Mark XXII • Mark XXIII • Mark XXIV • Mark XXV • Mark XXVI •
Mark XXVII • Mark XXVIII • Mark XXIX • Mark XXX • Mark XXXI • Mark XXXII • Mark XXXIII • Mark XXXIV •
Mark XXXV • Mark XXXVI • Mark XXXVII • Mark XXXVIII • Mark XXXIX • Mark XL • Mark XLI
Mark XLII • Mark XLIII • Mark XLIV/Veronica • Mark XLV • Mark XLVI • Mark XLVII • Mark XLIX • Mark L • Mark LXXXV
|Mark I • Mark II/Iron Patriot • Mark III • Mark IV • Mark V • Mark VI • Mark VII|
|Mark I • Mark II|
|Spider-Man Suit • Iron Spider Armor|