In 1945, the Red Skull vanished from Earth upon holding the Tesseract while trying to finish off Captain America, leading him to be teleported by the Space Stone to Vormir, where he was cursed to serve as the keeper of the Soul Stone.
Decades later, Gamora came to learn of Vormir and its housing of the Soul Stone, keeping this information a secret from Thanos, whom desired all the Infinity Stones to wipe out half of the life in the universe to avoid the extinction of lives by overpopulation.
In 2018, eventually being forced to reveal the location of the Soul Stone upon seeing her sister Nebula being tortured, Thanos took Gamora to Vormir to find it. Reaching the mountains, they were greeted by the Red Skull. Red Skull explained that the only way to acquire the Soul Stone was to give up one's soul but it had to be the soul of someone he loved. Gamora laughed saying that Thanos never felt a thing for anyone but himself just to find him crying, as he pulls her into the abyss. Thanos sacrificed Gamora in anguish, weeping for her, while earning the Soul Stone for his Infinity Gauntlet soon afterward. On the other hand, the Red Skull's curse was finally broken and he was liberated from his duty, free to leave Vormir after seventy years of lonely torment.
During the Avengers' Time Heist, after traveling from 2023 to 2014, Black Widow and Hawkeye headed to Vormir to collect the Soul Stone. There, they found out by word of Red Skull that the only way to obtain the Infinity Stone is by giving away the life of a beloved one.
Both Romanoff and Barton were determined to sacrifice themselves so the other could get the stone and had a fight over who should stay alive and return with it; however, after a tense struggle, Natasha won and decided to sacrifice herself falling into the abyss, allowing Barton to obtain the Stone soon afterward and liberating the Red Skull from his duty earlier than in the original timeline.
Return of the Soul Stone
After the Battle of Earth, Steve Rogers was assigned to return all the Infinity Stones to their original places in the timeline just as the Hulk promised to the Ancient One. When he went to Vormir, Rogers met with the Red Skull for the second time, but rather than showing hostility to each other, Rogers delivered the Stone to Schmidt, who bound to guard it, placed it back to its spot.
- In the comics, Vormir is the sixth planet in the Helgentar system, and home to the Vorms.
Behind the Scenes
- The scenes that took place in Vormir were shot in Lençóis Maranhenses National Park in Maranhão, Brazil. The shootings lasted for two weeks and as part of a confidentiality agreement, the project was called "Mary Lou" to keep them a secret.
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Avengers: Infinity War
- ↑ What comes next for Red Skull as Russo brothers confirm Cap's nemesis is 'free' after Infinity War
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ Joe Russo's Q&A about the plot of Avengers: Endgame in China
- ↑ Lençóis Maranhenses create 'fantastic' planet environment in 'Avengers: Infinity War'