- "I need you on my side, Janet. I carry you. I carry this whole family, and the least you could possibly do is give me some support."
- ―Victor Stein to Janet Stein
Victor Stein is a genius engineer, inventor, and the founder and CEO of Nemo, as well as a member of the PRIDE. He is the husband of Janet Stein and the father of Chase Stein. While serving the needs of Jonah by creating a technology, Dematerialization Box, that kept him alive through human sacrifices, Stein also raised his son Chase with his wife Janet, being abusive to both of his family members. When a brain tumour caused Stein to struggle with his work he began to break apart, soon discovering his wife was sleeping with Robert Minoru. When Stein came close to death, Jonah saved his life but this only resulted in Stein having a mental breakdown in which he attacked his son, causing Janet to shoot him. Stein then fell into a coma and Jonah vowed to save his life somehow.
Victor was kept by Jonah in an Healing Algorithm so that he could design a new Dematerialization Box. Initially, Victor was reluctant to help Jonah, but Janet convinced him to achieve his task as soon as possible so that he could return into the real world and help PRIDE with its new objectives. Victor notably gave Janet insights about the deciphering of the Abstract before being taken out of the algorithm by Janet. He and Janet were decisive in the fight against Jonah at the PRIDE Construction Site, but it also caused Victor to be possessed by Jonah. Initially, Victor managed to keep his personality from time to time, but thought that his losses of time were due to the return of his brain tumor, which pressured him to convince his son Chase to return home. Eventually, however, Victor, who had helped to design weapons against the Runaways, was entirely possessed by Jonah.
- "Time travel's not about going back and forth. It's about staying right where we are, about positioning ourselves so that we remain in the presence of beauty."
- ―Victor Stein to Janet
Victor Stein graduated and went to Culver University and met a woman named Janet in class. The two discussed the idea of inventing time travel and quickly became smitten with each other. Showing himself to have a brilliant mind, Stein worked himself in engineering and eventually founded Nemo Industrial, a manufacturing company and moved to Los Angeles with Janet.
Birth of Chase
Victor married Janet Stein and the two had a son named Chase in 2000. On the day Chase was born, Victor held him and talked with the nurse briefly. Victor told Janet that he understood what everyone meant when saying that a child is the only thing that matters.
Victor and Janet joined PRIDE, a group led by Leslie Dean to sacrifice individuals to Jonah. To hide their agenda, the group aligned with their companies and made PRIDE appear as a Los Angeles-charity organization and used the Church of Gibborim to sacrifice members who were helped off the street. During the PRIDE's first annual ceremony, Victor and Dean were the only members who were aware of what they were doing with the Dematerialization Box which was kept by Victor.
"You don't know shit about sh...!"
"Say it again."
"You don't know shit about...""
- ―Victor Stein and Chase Stein
Victor became more focused on his work, leading him to become abusive towards Janet and Chase Stein. Despite being named Time's man of the year, he constantly disappointed his son who became to resent him. One day, Victor missed the city championship where his son won the trophy, failing his promise he made on the morning. Picking up Chase, Victor was criticized by Chase who mocked him for being awarded and considered a visionary. Victor ordered him to stop, but Chase cursed him, leading to Victor to punch him hard enough to hit the door window, shocking the boy. Stein dared his son to say again, having to hit him again in anger when he cursed him for the second time.
Like all the members of PRIDE, Stein took part to rituals meant to revive Jonah. To that end, he was entrusted with the management of the Dematerialization Boxes used in these rituals. However, unlike most of his associates, Stein knew what would happen to the selected victims. As such, when they sacrificed Brooks Watten, Stein explained to the other members of PRIDE that the body of the young an had been converted into pure energy which had been absorbed by Jonah.
In 2017, Victor, who kept behaving as an abusive husband and father to his wife Janet and his son Chase, had trouble fixing issues with the Dematerialization Box, which added to the high level of distress Stein experienced since he had been diagnosed with an extremely hard to cure brain tumor. Nevertheless, Stein chose not to disclose any of these information to the other members of PRIDE, claiming that he would fix the Box and that the headaches he suffered from were benign.
Victor and Janet went to the Wilder Mansion for the PRIDE's annual meeting, during which Leslie Dean gave them the file of the next victim: Destiny Gonzalez. Victor noticed that Geoffrey Wilder did not read the file and asked him whether he questioned their activities. Still, PRIDE decided to carry on the ritual. Victor prepared the Dematerialization Box, waiting for the arrival of Gonzalez with Leslie Dean. He then helped the members of PRIDE to restrain Gonzalez as she was frightened by what was happening, and closed the Box on Gonzalez when she entered it, initiating the ritual.
As the members of PRIDE noticed a flashlight, Victor remained in the secret basement while Geoffrey and Catherine Wilder left to investigate its origin. When they returned and informed them that their children were in the mansion, Victor remained alone in the basement to pack up the Dematerialization Box. However, he heard a strange noise coming from it. When he opened it, Victor was shocked to discover that Gonzalez was still alive in it. Although Gonzalez begged him to help her, Victor chose to murder her to cover up for his failure in fixing the Box. Keeping her body inside the Box he took back to the Stein Mansion, Victor later dropped Gonzalez's body into the ocean.
Highly disturbed by the failed sacrifice, Victor had a hard time finding sleep, having visions of Gonzalez begging him to let her go. He was found in his lab by Janet, who expressed concern at the idea that Victor might have a problem he was keeping for himself, but Victor angrily retorted that he needed Janet on his side and trusting him without question.
To be added
- "What, what were we moving on to? Father and son, playing together at the beach."
"I'm an idiot."
"I am making you a man! But you don't want that, do you? You wanna be a baby!"
- ―Victor Stein and Chase Stein
To be added
To be added
This section requires expansion
Victor Stein has a brilliant mind and is great at engineering and making ground breaking technology but is abusive towards his wife, Janet, and son, Chase, causing his wife to cheat on him and his son to hate him. Whilst under the influence of Jonah's drug he was extremely loving towards his family causing Chase to love his father again and Janet to end her affair for the sake of her family. However, Victor fell back into his old ways that lead to him attacking Chase before being shot by Janet.
- "Forgive me if I'm too busy changing the world to notice that your bangs have grown out."
- ―Victor Stein to Janet Stein
- Genius-Level Intellect: Victor Stein showed himself to be brilliant individual, being awarded and crowned a visionary by many news companies and magazines.
- Expert Engineer: Stein excelled in engineering, working with his son on the Fistigons and X-Ray Specs, as well as a time machine which can display images coming from the future. Stein's skills enable him to understand the functioning of the Dematerialization Box, which makes him a highly valuable member of PRIDE. As such, Jonah declared that Stein was the only member of PRIDE he truly needed to ensure his own survival and to fulfill his projects.
- Expert Businessman: Stein is an accomplished businessman. Prior to his coma, he was the founder and CEO of the company Nemo. The company was well known for its technological prowess and Stein's leadership was regularly praised in magazines.
- Dematerialization Box: Stein was the only member of PRIDE able to understand the mechanisms of the Dematerialization Boxes used to revive Jonah, and was therefore entrusted with one Box he kept in the garage of the Stein Mansion, trying to fix it when it experienced malfunctions.
- Victor Stein's Time Machine: As part of his main scientific ideas about time travel, Stein invented a time machine designed to show pictures of both past and future events. However, he was never able to make it properly work until he decided to resume the project with his son Chase. The time machine notably gave him images of a warning coming from a future Chase.
- Fistigons: Stein helped his son Chase to work on the energy-blasting gauntlets named the Fistigons. Ignoring the warning given to him earlier by his own time machine, Stein picked them up when attacking Chase in an anger outburst and fired at his son with it.
|Appearances for Victor Stein|
In chronological order:
Behind the Scenes
- James Marsters has stated that his performance as Victor Stein is inspired by Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of the Kingpin in Daredevil: "He did a Kingpin that so surprised me. It was in so many ways exactly opposite of what I was expecting, of what I’d read in the comics. In the comics, Kingpin is always charming. He’s an extrovert. He’s in control of any social situation. And in private he’s mean and that’s the contrast. Vincent just flipped it 180° and went for the vulnerabilities and the insecurities in the character. He was able to bring out a sophistication that you can’t get in a static image."
- Simon Potter was a stunt double for James Marsters in the role of Victor Stein.