|For other uses, see Valkyrie (disambiguation)|
- "I've spent years, in a haze, trying to forget my past. Sakaar seemed like the best place to drink, and to forget, and to die. One day."
"Well, I was thinking that you drink too much and it was probably gonna kill you."
"I don't plan to stop drinking. But... I don't wanna forget. I can't turn away anymore. So... if I'm gonna die, well... it might as well be driving my sword through the heart of that murderous hag."
- ―Valkyrie and Thor
Brunnhilde is an Asgardian Valkyrie who was part of an elite group of warriors called the Valkyrie, and the Queen of New Asgard. She resided on Sakaar as a bounty hunter named Scrapper 142 after her defeat at the hands of Hela. Years into her self-imposed exile, Valkyrie found the Asgardian prince Thor and sold him to the Grandmaster, only to grow towards him when he told her of Hela's new invasion of Asgard. Joining the Revengers, Valkyrie escaped from Sakaar and assisted Thor to defeat Hela, witnessing the Ragnarök as a result before she then joined all of the remaining survivors traveling towards Earth, only for the Statesman to be attacked by the Black Order. She was one of the few survivors from Thanos's attack, helping lead the remaining Asgardians to safety before the Mad Titan destroyed the ship and killed the remaining forces, and ultimately survived the Decimation.
Valkyrie played an essential role in the relocation of the Asgardian population on Earth, in their new settlement of Tønsberg, Norway. Over the five years following the Decimation, Valkyrie helplessly saw Thor spiraling down into alcoholism and idleness due to his previous failure to stop Thanos. Nevertheless, as Thor had been convinced to rejoin the Avengers to reverse the effects of Thanos' actions, Valkyrie later led the charge of the Asgardians during the Battle of Earth, which ultimately saw Thanos and his forces meeting their complete demise. Following this victory, Valkyrie was appointed the new Queen of the Asgardians by Thor, who would join the Guardians of the Galaxy while knowing that the Asgardians were left in her capable hands.
Leading the Valkyrie
Defeated by Hela
- "My God, you're a Valkyrie... You know, I used to want to be a Valkyrie when I was younger, until I found out you were all women. There's nothing wrong with women, of course, I like women. Sometimes a little too much. Not in a creepy way, just more like a respectful appreciation. I think it's great, an elite force of women warriors. It's about time."
- ―Thor to Valkyrie
Brunnhilde was one of the many Valkyrie sent by Odin to drive Hela back to her prison. Riding a winged steed, Valkyrie and her fellow Valkyrie engaged Hela in combat. Hela created a vast amount of weapons that she used to kill the Valkyrie as they descended on her. Brunnhilde was one of the last of the Valkyrie, managing to avoid death by the ferocious attack when Hela then personally engaged her but was thwarted by the only other remaining Valkyrie.
Being all that remained of the Asgardian warrior maidens, Brunnhilde exiled herself to the planet Sakaar where she served the Grandmaster as one of his best acquisition specialists under the designation "Scrapper 142." She had an antagonistic relationship with the Grandmaster's bodyguard, Topaz, but was favored by the Grandmaster himself. Scrapper 142 eventually found and brought the Grandmaster the Hulk after he arrived on Sakaar.
Life on Sakaar
Meeting the God of Thunder
One day, Scrapper 142 located a group of Sakaaran Scrappers capturing Thor. Considering her payment for delivering the contender to the Grandmaster, Valkyrie intervened, drinking her alcohol, and she demanded them to relinquish their ownership over him. As the Lead Scrapper disobeyed her demand and insisted on capturing her too, Valkyrie then proceeded to eliminate the scavengers. One scavenger who survived attempted to escape, only for Valkyrie to subdue him due to her Asgardian strength. As Thor thanked her for seemingly rescuing him from a life of slavery, Valkyrie instead threw a disk on his neck, electrocuting him, thus allowing Valkyrie to abduct Thor and take him to the Grandmaster.
Some time later, Thor awoke up from his unconsciousness and found himself sitting in front of the Grandmaster, his bodyguard, Topaz, and the Valkyrie. As Thor attempted to break from his restraints, Valkyrie tased him again with the controller. Grandmaster then rewarded her for her mission, and proceeded to transfer ten million units to Valkyrie, much to Topaz's dismay.
- "Listen closely, your majesty. This is Sakaar, not Asgard. And I’m a scrapper, not a Valkyrie."
- ―Valkyrie to Thor
Buying alcohol near the gladiator's quarters, she was pointed out by the gladiator Korg as an Asgardian. Thor attempted to hold a conversation with her, telling her of the Siege of Asgard and Hela's return. Thor noticed a tattoo on her wrist symbolizing her as a Valkyrie. However, she ignored, stating that he was no longer on Asgard, but Sakaar. Valkyrie also warned the God of Thunder that he would never escape from Sakaar.
Valkyrie and left to watch the fight between Thor and the Hulk from her ship. During the fight, however, Thor channeled electricity from his body, subduing the Hulk, until the Grandmaster intervened and disarmed him. As Hulk stomped upon Thor's unconscious body, Valkyrie looked away taking another drink. 
Tricked by the God of Thunder
One day, Valkyrie was summoned to the Hulk's room in the Grandmaster's palace. As she and Hulk sparred, Thor appeared and ended the fight. Valkyrie attempted to leave the room only for Hulk to aggressively throw a part of his bed in front of the entrance, to prevent her from leaving. She finally agreed to listen to his story as long until she finished chugging a drink. Seconds later, she finished to Thor's surprise and attempted to leave.
Lamenting over Odin's recent death in Norway, Thor informs Valkyrie of Hela's return to Asgard. Valkyrie then started to open up to him, revealing how Odin and Hela's disagreement occurred, also noting that Hela's greedy desires to conqueror all the cosmos resulted in her banishment in Hel. She also explained her failed attempt at stopping Hela from escaping Hel resulted in her exile to Sakaar. Sensing the Asgardians in danger, Thor offers her an opportunity to join his team so as to escape Sakaar and prevent Hela from fulfilling her goals, only for an unfazed Valkyrie to explain that Hela's powers only enhance due to her connection to the realm of Asgard.
Telling him that she used to fight for Asgard, but became disillusioned with the Asgardian Royal Family, Valkyrie explained to him that she chose her life on Sakaar as a mean to forget her dark past. As Thor agreed with her as to how the Asgardian Royal Family had problems, Valkyrie drew her swords at his throat to warn him not to get too familiar with him. He then agreed with her statement that any hopes for saving the realm of Asgard from Hela's tyrannical rule were lost.
Thor then revealed that the whole conversation was a ruse as he stole the Obedience Disk from her during the conversation, thus allowing him to disarm his disk. Thor then reminded her that the Asgardians were their people, and that he will save them, and asked her if she was going to continue to enslave people on the Grandmaster's orders or fight her past.
Remembering Her Past
- "You’re a Valkyrie. I thought the Valkyrie all died gruesome deaths?"
"Choose your next words wisely."
- ―Loki and Valkyrie
In the wake of Thor and Hulk's recent disappearance, the Grandmaster summoned both Valkyrie and Loki to his chambers. Expressing his displeasure at the fact that the two fugitives disappeared from the palace, the Grandmaster offered them a bounty for the capture of Thor and the Hulk, instead of planning of a public execution, his original plan.
In a separate room, Loki, suspicious, interrogated her about her role in allowing the two fugitives to escape. Valkyrie then replied that she doesn't help anyone, followed by a brief physical fight. At one point, Valkyrie held the upper hand, until Loki discovered that she was a former Valkyrior warrior and he used his magical abilities to make her experience flashbacks of her fight against Hela.
Helping the Fugitives
With the memories awakened, Valkyrie decided to help Thor after all. She located Thor and Hulk in the city and tazed a potential threat. Valkyrie and Thor briefly exchanged glances and questioned who Bruce Banner was, unaware that his alter-ego was the Hulk.
The three then followed Valkyrie to her apartment, and she explained that her drinking habits were the result of the Massacre of the Valkyrie. Unwilling to stop drinking, but willing to fight the Goddess of Death one last time with the intent of stabbing her through the heart, Valkyrie reconciled with the two. Thor claimed that their new team would be called the Revengers as he believed that the three had a desire for revenge, although Banner claimed to be undecided.
Valkyrie then welcomed the two fugitives into her apartments and showed them her peace offering; a restrained Loki. As Thor threw a bottle at his head to confirm that Loki was not an illusion, Valkyrie then showed Thor her ancient Dragonfang, which he was impressed by. As Loki began to offer the three advice, Valkyrie threw an empty bottle at his head. Thor and Loki explained to Valkyrie how Loki had masterminded behind the Chitauri Invasion and had tried to kill the two on many occasions. Discussing their escape plans, Valkyrie insisted that the best route through Asgard would be through a wormhole, which would take them to Xandar. Thor then suggested that they go through the largest wormhole on the planet, the Devil's Anus.
As she observed the wormhole, she pointed out that her ship would be destroy her Warsong. Loki then interrupted their conversation and explained that since he had won the Grandmaster's trust, he had the security codes to the Grandmaster's secret room of ships. Although reluctant at first, the three agreed to his plan.
Acting on the orders of Thor, Valkyrie used the security codes to break into the Sakaaran prisons, which held Korg, Miek, and other members of the Sakaaran Rebellion, and liberate them. She then proceeded to disable their Obedience Disks, and informed them of the location of the Grandmaster's room of ships, including the Commodore and Statesman.
She then boarded her Warsong, with her Dragonfang and traditional armor. However, a group of Sakaaran guards started to chase Valkyrie, with Topaz having been informed that the rebellion was started. During the pursuit, however,Although she managed to destroy a few pursuing ships, Topaz managed to shoot down her ship, forcing Valkyrie to jump from her ship, surviving due to her Asgardian strength. As Thor and Hulk piloted the Commodore, Valkyrie destroyed the remaining ships, before reuniting with Thor and Hulk in the Commodore. As they fled Sakaar, they made their way into the Devil's Anus, and were subsequently knocked out.
Hours later, the three awoke from their unconsciousness and seemingly found themselves back in Asgard. Horrified by the destruction Hela and her resurrected Berserkers caused to the civilization, Hulk commented that the realm was not in good condition and would have looked more nice had it not been in flames. Valkyrie then noticed a group of heat signatures clustered within a hidden stronghold in the Asgardian mountains. Thor, who assured Valkyrie that he had an ally on the inside, headed to the Asgardian Palace so he could lure Hela away from the Asgardian citizens.
Whilst the Asgardians headed towards Heimdall's Observatory to evade Hela's tyrannical rule on Asgard, a horde of Berserkers led by Skurge, Hela's right-hand-man, and Fenris surrounded them, preventing an escape. Valkyrie then proceeded to shoot at the gargantuan wolf, only for the creature to absorb the bullets. Having discerned that the bullets caused no harm to the wolf, Banner announced to Valkyrie that he would turn back into the Hulk. As Fenris launched toward Heimdall armed with Hofund, Banner fell on the Bifrost Bridge.
Fenris dismissed Banner as a threat and approached the Asgardians. However, Hulk suddenly attacked Fenris, which led to a fight between the two. Moments later, reinforcements from Sakaar arrived, providing a safe refuge to the Asgardian citizens onboard the Statesman as Loki and gladiators of the Sakaaran Rebellion prepared to combat Hela's forces. At one point a group of Berserkers attempted to overwhelm the Commodore ship, forcing Valkyrie to crash the ship on the Bifrost Bridge.
As Thor gained his new electricity powers, Valkyrie fought against a horde of Berserkers, slicing each one down with her Dragonfang. After all the Berserkers were killed, Valkyrie reunited with the Revengers as they prepared to fight Hela. Thor soon realized that since Asgard is a people, not a place, he authorized Loki to cause Ragnarok, as the doomsday prophecy foretold that only the Destruction of Asgard would end Hela's threat.
As Loki revived Surtur with the Eternal Flame in Odin's Vault, Thor and Loki fought against Hela. As a result of his lightning new powers, Thor and Valkyrie were both able to stalemate her. Hela then launched her Necroswords at Valkyrie, who was able to deflect all the weapons. However, the Goddess of Death managed to subdue the Asgardian warrior. Thor responded to one of Hela's attacks by launching another lightning blast at her, only for her to quickly impale him with a Necrosword.
As Hela approached Valkyrie, Thor leapt up and told her that Asgard was all hers. Surprised by his statement, Hela claimed that he could not defeat her as she was the Goddess of Death. Thor agreed with her statement and acknowledged that while he couldn't, Surtur could, who emerged from the Asgardian Palace, having been resurrected by Loki. As Hela attempted to stop the attack, Valkyrie attacked Hela, which allowed enough time for Thor to use his lightning powers to destroy a portion of the Bifrost Bridge.
- "Your throne."
- ―Valkyrie to Thor
Valkyrie and Thor watched helplessly as Surtur laid waste to all of Asgardian with his Twilight Sword. Together, they sadly acknowledge the prophecy of Ragnarok, and accepted that they would die to ensure that the safety of the remaining Asgardian refugees who were on the Statesman. Suddenly, they spotted the Hulk emerge from the waters attacking Surtur. The unaffected Fire Demon threw Hulk onto the Bifrost Bridge and continued his mission. As Hulk approached Surtur, Valkyrie and Thor told him to stop smashing.
Hulk proceeded to help the two Asgardian warriors escape onto the Statesman. Aboard the Statesman ship, both Valkyrie and Thor witnessed the realm's destruction, and Hela's apparent demise. The crestfallen Asgardians looked up to their new king, Thor, for leadership. Valkyrie was then present when Thor announced the new Asgard would in fact be Earth.
On the journey to Earth, the Asgardians were ambushed by the Titan warlord Thanos and the Black Order. During the ambush, half of the Asgardians on the ship were slaughtered, along with Heimdall and Loki. Valkyrie was one of the many survivors from Thanos' attack, helping lead the remaining Asgardians to safety escape pods alongside Korg and Miek, before the Mad Titan destroyed the ship and killed the remaining forces inside the Statesman.
Shortly after the attack, Thanos managed to complete the Infinity Gauntlet and snapped his fingers, causing half life in the universe to disintegrate into nothingness. Valkyrie was among those who survived Thanos' snap.
Settling in New Asgard
Five years after the Decimation, the surviving Asgardians were forced to accept that their days of fighting were passed them, as their homeworld had been destroyed during Ragnarok along with half of the population having been murdered by Thanos. Therefore, they settled in Tønsberg, Norway, renaming it the New Asgard. Instead of ruling in an effective way, Thor neglected his duties as king and reverted to a life of alcoholism, which resulted in a massive weight gain as a way to cope with his failures, much to Valkyrie's dismay.
Hulk and Rocket Raccoon, having discovered a way to reverse the Decimation, visited the New Asgard in hopes of recruiting Thor. As they arrived, Valkyrie was greeted by Hulk, who commented that it was nice to see her again. Warning the two that they shouldn't have come, Rocket introduced himself to the Asgardian warrior, who exchanged glances with him. When asked about Thor's status, she revealed that he only is seen when he is replenished of alcohol and other drinks. Despite her reluctance, she directed the two to Thor's hut.
Valkyrie, along with Korg, Miek, Einherjar guards, Wakandans, Ravagers, the fallen Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy who perished during the Decimation, and the Masters of the Mystic Arts, were transported by Doctor Strange and Wong to the destroyed ruins of the New Avengers Facility right as Thanos unleashed his army of the Black Order, the Outriders, Sakaarans, Chitauri, and Leviathan on the Avengers in search of the Infinity Gauntlet. Riding her steed, she charged into battle once again and aided the Avengers in fighting Thanos's army. Eventually, Iron Man snapped his fingers with the gauntlet, which killed Thanos and his army for good. Stark died and was given a funeral.
Sadly, the Massacre of the Valkyrie by the Goddess of Death Hela inflicted deep psychological scars on Valkyrie, traumatizing her greatly. The final blow came as she witnessed a fellow Valkyrie sacrifice herself to save her from Hela's attack. With the overwhelming grief combined with anger against Odin for sending them against Hela, and with the shame of being the only survivor, Valkyrie abandoned Asgard and fled into exile on Sakaar.
Valkyrie's overall personality underwent a drastic change during her time on Sakaar. She became a notorious alcoholic, seeking to eventually drink herself to death, and adopted a rude, sardonic, gung-ho and generally selfish attitude towards everyone besides the Grandmaster and Hulk. Feeling no remorse or empathy, she delivered numerous contenders to the Grandmaster for years, filling in any spare time with drinking, fighting, training, or hunting - sometimes all at once. She developed a strong bitterness toward Asgard and the monarchy but her deep-rooted fear of Hela and the trauma from their last encounter remained with her even though she was eventually able to bury the memories of the massacre deep in her subconscious.
When she encountered the Asgardian prince Thor, Valkyrie initially remained apathetic and unmoved by his efforts to get her to help him and Hulk escape. Valkyrie took a sharp turn however when in an encounter with Loki, he unlocked the memories of the Valkyrie massacre that she had buried long ago, forcing her to finally confront her fear and guilt and enabling her to begin moving past it at last. Thus, Valkyrie finally resolved to help Thor and Hulk escape Saakar and help save the Asgardian people from Hela. By the time she reached Asgard, she was essentially her old self again except her penchant for heavy drinking remained. Nonetheless, she bravely charged into battle against Hela's Berserkers and helped distract Hela long enough to cause the Goddess' eventual downfall at the hands of Surtur. Following this, she rejoined her people as a lieutenant of the new Asgardian king Thor.
Powers and Abilities
As an Asgardian, Valkyrie possesses superhuman physical attributes such as strength, durability, speed, reflexes, agility and stamina, and she is an extremely powerful combatant. She wields a double edged sword, which she uses perfectly as a single long sword staff.
Asgardian Physiology: Valkyrie possesses all of the various superhuman attributes common among the Asgardians, including superhuman strength, speed, agility, reflexes, durability, and longevity. Due to her being a former Valkyrie, who were an elite fighting force, her physical attributes are higher than the average Asgardian.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all Asgardians, Valkyrie is superhumanly strong and possesses greater physical strength than the average Asgardian as a warrior maiden. She managed to help Thor stalemate Hela, with a kick managing to slightly make her stumble back and she managed to stab her with enough force to cause her some pain and impale her through the chest with her sword so Thor may blast Bifrost Bridge and her down to the ocean. She also managed to overpower Loki and even knock down Hulk in a brief sparring match. Valkyrie was also able to defeat many members of Thanos' army, knock down a Chitauri Giant Dog while riding on her steed and pierce a Leviathan's thick armor with her spear.
- Superhuman Durability: Valkyrie's body is much more resistant to physical harm than that of a normal human being. Hence, she was able to withstand Hela's mighty attacks, falls from great heights, extreme pressures and temperatures and powerful explosions. Valkyrie also resisted being shot down, along with her Pegasus, by an energy shot from Thanos' ship.
- Superhuman Speed: Valkyrie can move at high speeds, allowing her to dodge a powerful attack from Hulk, to deflect a wave of projectiles hurled at her by Hela in rapid succession, and to momentarily incapacitate Hela with a sudden jump on the latter.
- Superhuman Agility: Valkyrie naturally possesses greater agility, dexterity, balance, and body coordination than that of a normal human being, allowing her to easily jump and fall on her feet.
- Superhuman Stamina: Like all Asgardians, Valkyrie's musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than that of humans, which allowed her to fight many Berserkers, and even the more powerful Hela herself, without tiring at all.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite her body's resistance, Valkyrie can be injured like any other Asgardian. However, her metabolism enables her to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissue with greater speed and efficiency than that of a human. Similarly, she is unaffected by drinking large amounts of alcohol.
- Longevity: Like all Asgardians, Valkyrie ages at a rate that is much slower than that of a human being, allowing her to remain physically young for thousands of years.
- Master Combatant: As the leader of the Valkyrie, Valkyrie is one of the most powerful warriors of Asgard with immense training and millennia worth of experience in unarmed combat and swordsmanship, which allowed her to overpower and chain up Loki fairly quickly and possibly able to train Hulk for The Contest of Champions, defeat several Berserkers with little effort, and even aid Thor in fighting against Hela herself, though Hela had the upper hand. In fact, Valkyrie was the only Valkyrie to survive the battle against Hela, whereas her fellow Valkyrie who were legendary for being elite Asgardian warriors were massacred by Hela.
- Sword Mastery: Valkyrie has proven to be an immensely skilled and formidable swordswoman, managing to defeat several Berserkers, and to fight off Hela with her sword.
- Spear Mastery: As an Asgardian warrior maiden, Valkyrie was trained in different Asgardian weapons, as in the handling of a spear in combat. This was demonstrated when he used a spear to defeat many soldiers of Thanos' army and to cut a Leviathan.
- Multilingualism: As an Asgardian, Valkyrie is well-versed in the native languages of several alien species among the Nine Realms.
- Expert Pilot: As a scavenger and bounty hunter, Valkyrie is well-versed with operating various types of spacecraft, including her own ship, the Warsong.
- Dragonfang: The standard issue sword for all the Valkyrie.
- Daggers: Valkyrie was equipped with dual daggers that she used against Thor and would later use them while sparring with Loki.
- Asgardian Spear: Weapon from Asgard used to fight.
- Valkyrie's Armor: As a former Valkyrie maiden, Brunnhilde wears a prestigious gray and white uniform consisting of an ornate protective armor that includes: a chest plate with a collar or high collar protector, shoulder protectors, gauntlets, boots and other armor plates. His armor is also complemented by a blue layer of cloth that has the symbol of Odin in relief.
- Warsong Remotely-Controlled Gatlings: Activating a pair of holographic devices on her gauntlets, Valkyrie is able to remotely controlled the weapons of the Warsong.
- Warsong: The ship of Valkyrie; used to bring Thor to the Grandmaster.
- Commodore: Grandmasters space ship used to escape Sakaar.
- Statesman: Grandmasters ship used to transport the surviving Asgardians, Valkyrie, Loki, Thor, Korg, Meik, and himself. It was later attacked by Thanos.
- Grandmaster Palace: To be added
- In the comics, Brunnhilde was selected by Odin to lead the Valkyrior, and she became a long time member of the Defenders. She was based on the Norse mythological figure Brynhildr.
- Following her introduction in Thor: Ragnarok, an alternative version of Valkyrie that resembles Tessa Thompson's character introduced in the mainstream comic universe, as an Asgardian vigilante and a member of the Exiles.
- During her battle with Hela in Hel, Valkyrie's life is saved by the sacrifice of a blonde Valkyrie more closely resembling the Brunnhilde from the comics.
- Valkyrie's number among the Grandmaster's Scrappers, 142, refers to the Incredible Hulk #142 issue, where Valkyrie first met the Hulk.
- Valkyrie is the first ruler of the Asgardians that is not part of the Asgardian Royal Family.
Behind the Scenes
- Valkyrie was originally planned to be introduced in Thor: The Dark World, but her appearance was ultimately scrapped.
- According to Taika Waititi, Tessa Thompson's casting was not a deliberate decision to diversify the film, but to choose the best person: "You're working with comic-book Vikings, so you have to look at the source material as a very loose inspiration. A character's skin tone and hair color doesn't matter. I think the story is king, and you want the best person for the job, and Tessa was the best person."
- Tessa Thompson stated that Valkyrie is bisexual, based on her comic book relationship with Annabelle Riggs. There was a deleted scene including a glimpse of a woman walking out of Valkyrie's bedroom.
- Tessa Thompson based her performance as Valkyrie on Sarah Connor from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- Danya Bateman, Tara Macken and Brittany Morris were stunt doubles for Tessa Thompson in the role of Valkyrie.
- ↑ Tessa Thompson on Twitter - December 2, 2017
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Thor: Ragnarok
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Avengers: Infinity War
- ↑ 'Avengers: Infinity War' Director Reveals Fate of Valkyrie, Asgardians
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ How Tessa Thompson Went From Indie Actor to ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Badass
|Ruler of New Asgard|