Meeting with Yelena Belova
At some point in the past, de Fontaine joined an organization interested in people with superhuman abilities. During her time working for the organization, de Fontaine met Yelena Belova, a trained assassin and spy and the surrogate sister of Natasha Romanoff, recruiting Belova into her organization. Following Romanoff's death in late 2023, Belova visited her headstone in Ohio to mourn while on holiday leave. De Fontaine visited Romanoff's grave at the same time to meet Belova, making her presence known by blowing into a handkerchief, joking that she was "allergic to the Midwest."
Belova called de Fontaine desperate for coming to her while she was on holiday, asking for a raise. De Fontaine joked that she wanted one too, before telling Belova that she had a new mission for her. Handing her a tablet, de Fontaine informed Belova that her next target would be the man responsible for Romanoff's death, revealing an image of Clint Barton. As Belova stared at the tablet, which displayed an image of Barton, de Fontaine remarked that he was cute.
Meeting with John Walker
In 2024, following John Walker, being stripped of his title as Captain America and military rank due to him murdering Nico, a surrendering foreign national and one member of the Flag Smashers, de Fontaine met with him and his wife, Olivia Walker, at a bench outside the main courtroom in the United States Capitol. She introduced herself to the two, noting the name that she would prefer them to address her by, before she then awkwardly sat down between them.
Sitting down, de Fontaine had told Walker that, if she had been in the same position that he had been in, she would have killed Nico too, as he had been responsible for the death of Battlestar, while also saying the only reason that Walker was getting punished was because the government had to uphold all their laws. She explained that she was aware Walker had also taken the Super Soldier Serum before fighting against these Flag Smashers, that he no longer possessed his shield, since Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes had earlier managed to subdue him and then reclaimed it, and that taking that serum also made him valuable to certain people, whom de Fontaine was connected to.
As Walker's wife tried to ask who de Fontaine was, she ignored her and continued speaking to Walker. She told Walker that his decision to take the serum was the best decision he had ever made, along with choosing to marry Olivia. She told Walker that the next best decision he would make would be to pick up the phone when she called him. Noting that the shield did not belong to the government, de Fontaine gave Walker a blank business card, before leaving.
Creating U.S. Agent
With the Flag Smashers defeated, de Fontaine reunited with John Walker, after he had helped in the fight. While Walker put on his uniform, de Fontaine talked with Olivia Walker about all but one of the remaining Flag Smashers being killed while being transported to the Raft, saying that Helmut Zemo, who intended to destroy all super soldiers, had gotten the last laugh after all. Walker then stepped into the room in a new version of his suit, now all-black. As de Fontaine complimented the suit, she told the Walkers that the world was changing and that people did not need a Captain America, giving Walker the new name of "U.S. Agent" before leaving.
Valentina Allegra de Fontaine is a very influential and manipulative figure. Her knowledge of how the United States government operates enabled her to convince John Walker to work for her. Additionally, de Fontaine was able to switch the narrative of Natasha Romanoff's sacrifice and frame it as a murder, convincing Yelena Belova that Clint Barton killed her, and sending her on a mission to kill him.
While insincere about Romanoff's sacrifice, she deeply admired the fallen hero and voiced her respect for her at her headstone.
This section requires expansion
- Tactician: To be added
This section requires expansion
- United States Capitol: To be added
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine is an alleged Italian noblewoman who joined S.H.I.E.L.D. and even ascended temporarily to the rank of Deputy Director, becoming Nick Fury's lover. Eventually, she infiltrated HYDRA and assumed the identity of Madame Hydra, though she was actually a Russian triple agent, having worked for Leviathan as a sleeper agent since before being recruited by S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Aida from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. assumed the identity of Madame Hydra in the Framework.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Fontaine shares similarities and covers a similar role to Valerie "Val" Cooper, a government advisor and liaison specialized in regulations of superhuman activities in the United States of America, who recruited and collaborated with John Walker for many years.
Behind the Scenes
- Valentina Allegra de Fontaine in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation portrayed by Lisa Rinna.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus was set to be introduced as Valentina Allegra de Fontaine in Black Widow before her appearance in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, but this was changed due to delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.