Tiamut the Communicator was a Celestial whose seed was planted within Earth. His growth was fueled by the energy of humans living on the world and shepherded by the Eternals. However, most Eternals became attached to their charges. Upon learning of Tiamut's Emergence, they sought to prevent his coming but ended his life as a result, stopping the Emergence partway through in the process, in fact, he himself joined the Uni-Mind and lends Prime Eternal Sersi his power to do so.
Planted on Earth
Millions of years ago, as decreed by Arishem the Judge, a Celestial seed was sent to Earth. The seed impacted the planet, burrowing deep into its core, where it came to rest. As with all Celestial births, it would require a great amount of energy from sentient lifeforms to grow. This seed became known as Tiamut, who would begin to grow off the energy of the human race that inhabited its host planet. Due to humanity's primitive status and lack of numbers, the process would take thousands of years.
To make matters worse, the planet was infested with Deviants. Arishem sent ten human-looking Eternals to Earth aboard the Domo, to destroy the Deviants and ensure humanity's evolution. However, the Eternals did not know of their true purpose. Only Ajak was aware of the true mission, and as the Eternals watched humanity progress over the millennia, Tiamut slowly grew.
In 2018, Thanos used the Infinity Stones to wipe out half of all life in the universe. This deeply affected the unborn Tiamut, and delayed the Emergence due to a lack of lifeforms to grow off of. However, in 2023, the victims of the Snap were resurrected by the Avengers,and the population was now large enough to trigger Tiamut's Emergence.
Following the Blip, Earth was wracked by global earthquakes due to Tiamut's impending rise. In Arishem's visualization of the Emergence to Sersi, Tiamut burst out of Earth hand-first, which destroyed the whole planet in a cataclysmic explosion but left him intact. Once the Eternals discovered their true purpose, they began plotting to delay Tiamut's awakening, initially by having Druig put him back to sleep via Uni-Mind. Makkari raced across the world to find out where he would be appearing, which was determined to be at an active volcano in the Indian Ocean.
Due to an ideological split that resulted in the Eternals clashing, the plan to make Tiamut sleep became nonviable. Ikaris and Sprite's interference with their brethren's plans was enough for parts of Tiamut's head and left hand to arise out the ocean, causing massive tsunamis and drowning islands. The active volcano site was revealed to have been above the palm of his left hand. Once his palm has been exposed, Sersi began turning Tiamut into stone, eliciting strange cries from the Celestial. Surprisingly he also joined the ensuing Uni-Mind and lent the Eternals his power, preventing his own Emergence. The lights from Tiamut's eyes were extinguished as the transmutation reached his head.
Tiamut would have become a golden four-eyed Celestial were he allowed to awaken. However, his remains were marble-white due to Sersi's transmutation.
- Celestial Physiology: Tiamut would have become a cosmic being of immeasurable power and size, just like other Celestials.
- Immortality: As a Celestial, Tiamut would have been immortal, being able to live forever, without dying due to old age or illnesses. The Eternals only managed to kill him after they united cosmic energy with Tiamut to form Uni-Mind.
- Cosmic Energy Manipulation: Tiamut would have been able to control vast amounts of cosmic energy to create life and planets around the entire galaxy.
- In the comics, Tiamut the Communicator is a Celestial who was trapped underneath the Diablo Mountains in California by the Second Celestial Host, becoming known as the Dreaming Celestial.
Behind the Scenes
- According to Eternals VFX supervisor Matt Aitken, Tiamut is about 500 km tall; however, the size can change depending on the scene.