The S.H.I.E.L.D. team is left reeling and decimated as Hive continues to sway Inhumans to his side. But there is a sliver of hope as Agents Fitz and Simmons follow a lead that may be able to stop the maniacal Inhuman once and for all.
Daisy Johnson's Escape from the Playground has decimated the base; as Alphonso Mackenzie walks around the facility, he sees Melinda May who informs him that all vital information has been transferred to the Zephyr One where Phil Coulson is stationed and insisting upon take-off despite the hangar doors not properly working. Coulson gives a speech to the others that Johnson is still one of their own, but under the sway of Hive, and will be rescued.
Meanwhile, Johnson and Hive converse; the dark Inhuman uses the memories of Grant Ward during the conversation, but Johnson corrects his calling her "Skye".
Coulson deduces that Hive is building an army and Alisha Whitley would be an asset for him in that endeavor. Lincoln Campbell is allowed to go on the mission once he chooses to wear the Nanothermite Vest to prevent his betrayal. The agents soon realize that Whitley has already been visited when she tries to use a clone to kill Campbell.
In Bucharest, Fitz and Simmons meet Anon who says she will take them to Radcliffe. As they wait for the meeting, they talk about their relationship and compare it to a singularity and how everything will change once sex is involved.
JT James is visited by Johnson and Hive, who cannot possess Inhumans upon their death; James is sent through Terrigenesis so Hive can sway him to reveal where the companion piece to the Kree Orb is. Hive reveals that the components are the only thing that can destroy him.
Anon tells the couple that to prove the worth of themselves and the eye technology they offer to Radcliffe, they must perform an optic surgery on a living human, giving him the cybernetic eyes. Simmons realizes that it was a ruse and gets an audience with the scientist.
Hive and Johnson go to Bucharest and confront Simmons and Fitz, respectively, for Radcliffe. Hive uses the memories of Will Daniels while he talks to Simmons. Johnson uses her powers on Fitz, choking him, to convey that she has no desire to be "rescued" by S.H.I.E.L.D.; she promises no other warning. When Hive caresses Simmons' face, acting as Daniels, Simmons shoots him repeatedly and flees.
Though Radcliffe was captured by Hive, who survived his gunshots rather easily, Fitz and Simmons use the hotel to start the next phase of their relationship.
Later, Hive reveals that he has bought a town in which Radcliffe can experiment freely.
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Brett Dalton as Hive
- Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Henry Simmons as Alphonso Mackenzie
- Luke Mitchell as Lincoln Campbell
- John Hannah as Doctor Holden Radcliffe
- Axle Whitehead as JT James/Hellfire
- Camille De Pazzis as Anon
- Adrian Pasdar as Brigadier General Glenn Talbot
- Alicia Vela-Bailey as Alisha Whitley
- Alexander Wraith as Agent Anderson
- Rudy Dobrev as Bartender
- Los Angeles, California
- Bucharest, Romania
- South Dakota
- Union City, Wyoming
- Cocoon (mentioned)
- GT Agrochemical Facility (mentioned)
- Maveth (mentioned)
- Inhuman Outbreak
- Destruction of HYDRA
- Phil Coulson's Prosthetic Hand
- Terrigen Crystals
- Kree Orb
- Backscatter X-Ray Eye Implant
- Nanothermite Vest
- Backscatter Glasses
- Captain America Card Collection
- I.C.E.R. (mentioned)
- United States Air Force
- Advanced Threat Containment Unit
- Strategic Scientific Reserve (logo)
- GT Agrochemical (mentioned)
- Cybertek (mentioned)
- Centipede Soldiers (mentioned)
- Joey Gutierrez
- Elena Rodriguez
- Grant Ward
- Calvin Zabo
- Gideon Malick
- Andrew Garner
- Will Daniels
- Bobbi Morse
- Lance Hunter
- Burning Man
- Hellfire states that he considered "Firestarter" as an alias, but decided against it because it felt "a little 90s". This is a reference to the song "Firestarter" by The Prodigy.
- He also considered "Inferno" and "Scorch", both of which are common codenames for pyrokinetic individuals in the comics.