Talos is a Skrull general who had collaborated with renegade Kree scientist Mar-Vell in order to save the remnants of his own people from the Kree Empire. As the war between the two races progressed, Talos managed to extract information about the Light-Speed Engine from Vers and arrived on Planet C-53 to retrieve it as well as his long lost family. On C-53, Talos had confronted Vers and Nick Fury, while disguised as S.H.I.E.L.D. director Keller, however, Talos' deception was soon exposed. Eventually, Talos helped Vers to realize that the Kree had been manipulating her and her real name was Carol Danvers. Danvers then agreed to aid him and reunite him with his family at Mar-Vell's Laboratory. then having fought Starforce and being injured in fight, he connived Danvers to join him and find a new home for the surviving Skrulls far away from the Kree.
Seeking out Asylum
Talos, a General in the Skrull Empire, had been leading the losing side of the Kree-Skrull War, as the Kree Empire's technological and strategic advancements have wiped out much of the Skrull population. By 1989, a desperate Talos brokered an alliance with rebel Kree scientist Mar-Vell, who offered Talos, his family and several other Skrull survivors refuge on her laboratory in the orbit of Planet C-53, while she would engineer a Light-Speed Engine from the Tesseract to allow the Skrulls to escape Kree opposition.
Unfortunately, as a result of Mar-Vell's assassination executed by Starforce commander Yon-Rogg, this put an indefinite hiatus into her research, and set back Talos their opposition in the war, as many more Skrull lives were lost.
The Skrulls, led by Talos, had organized an ambush on Torfa with the objective of capturing Vers. They lured Starforce members into the planet by impersonating Soh-Larr and using a code that only he would have known. Despite their cover being blown, they successfully captured her and took her to their ship.
- "Where are you going? We were just getting to know each other!"
- ―Talos to Captain Marvel
The Skrulls hooked Vers to a machine that allows them to visualize scenes of her memories, from where they are able to uncover the alias that Mar-Vell used in planet C-53. Once Vers got back her consciousness, she escaped from the machine and promptly started attacking every single Skrull on site. Talos tried to stall her on her way to the Escape Pod, though his efforts were futile.
Crashing in Los Angeles
To be added
Talos, while under the guise of S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Keller, had been contacted by Nick Fury, who told him that Vers and him were visiting the Joint USAFA Facility, where she was attempting find some more information regarding Doctor Wendy Lawson. Via his Pager, Fury was told that Talos and some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were coming to apprehend the threat. Once Fury reported to Keller, he became suspicious of him, as Keller had referred to him as Nicholas as they boarded an elevator to hunt down Vers.
Because of this, Fury became suspicious, so on the ride down, he tricked Talos by asking if he remembers a strategy during a mission that he did with the real Keller in Nevada. Despite his best efforts, Talos could not convince Fury that he remembered, since Skrulls are able to remember recent memories from the people they replicate. This made Fury change allegiances, and thus he helped Vers escape from the facility.
Negotiating an Agreement
To be added
Once the negotiation is successful, restoring Carol Danvers' memories back to normal, Talos alongside Maria Rambeau and Nick Fury began to find Mar-Vell's hidden Laboratory ship at space nearby Earth, while Norex sacrificed his life as a decoy to diverse a distraction to lure the Starforce, by disguising as Danvers. With the distraction is success, at cost of Norex's life, Talos and his allies finally arrived at Mar-Vell’s hidden lab ship, reuniting with his family and the fellow surviving Skrulls hidden by Mar-Vell once more.
Unfortunately, the Starforce already called the reinforcements, including the Accusers, with Talos and his people, alongside Fury, Rambeau and Goose are held hostage, and being put in other cells respectively, while Danvers being put into having her memories wiped again. Thanks to Davers' fully awakened power which manage to resist the Supreme Intelligence's control, Talos manage to dispose one of the Starforce guards and disguise as one of them, once the cell he and his people were in are turned off by the results of Danvers' battle against the majorities of Starforce.
While disguising as one of the Starforce, Talos and his people reunited with Fury, Rambeau and Goose, who too freed by the efforts of the latter. Although there are still few remaining Starforce guards remains. Once Talos begin to rescue his allies, and was injured while risking his life saving Fury from one of the remaining Starforce guards. Talos, while recovering, remaining the ship where he and his allies escaping, as Mar-Vell's ship is about to be destroyed. Upon landing back to the desert at Earth when once the majority of Kree army finally retreats because of Danvers' undefeatable power, Talos was the one who replies to Fury, whose left eye got scratched by Goose comically after retrieving the Tesseract onto her mouth that a Flerken's scratch is much worst than Earth cat’s scratch by simply replying “No” when the scarred S.H.I.E.L.D. agent says “it was “just” a scratch”.
Finding a New Home
To be added
- "You know, you should always be polite to your neighbours. You never know when you might need to borrow a cup of sugar."
Despite appearing to be a fearsome military leader on the surface, Talos is an honorable individual who wants the best for the Skrull population, whose safety he puts above everything and he deeply cares about his family. He respects diplomacy, often choosing to solve problems through negotiations rather than conflict, as he called out Carol Danvers for being too quick to attack during his visit to the Rambeau Residence. That being said, Talos has an intense hatred towards the Kree and won't hesitate to resort to violence when facing them or those who he thinks are their allies, as was seen by how he also attempted to kill Nick Fury when the latter was working with Vers and discovered that he was impersonating the S.H.I.E.L.D. director.
Talos is a pragmatic person willing to forgive others and accept his mistakes, as he decided to seek help from Danvers and Fury upon discovering that they were being misled by the Kree into thinking that the Skrulls were the enemy and wanted to clear the misunderstanding despite knowing that Danvers could eradicate any of his soldiers with ease. Talos was even willing to confront Fury and Danvers in his true form without any shapeshifting as a sign of trust and helped Danvers rediscover her real identity. He also apologized to Fury for their previous encounter.
Once his trust is earned, Talos is a very loyal ally and respects the wishes of those he works with; after learning of Fury's preference to only be called "Fury", he used this as a code word to let him know he had disguised himself as one of the Kree attempting to take him and the Skrulls hostage. Talos also felt sympathetic towards Danvers after learning that she had been manipulated by the Kree into becoming their weapon, he also did not hold any grudge against her for her previous hostility either.
Talos also has a tendency to use humor as a way to diffuse tense situations, but due to being unaccustomed to human socialization, he can sometimes come off as awkward when asked about his shapeshifting abilities. Talos is afraid of Flerkens, he often warned Nick Fury to stay away from Goose, which eventually becomes an ultimate price of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent’s regrets, his left eye.
Powers and Abilities
- "Now, you know... I don't really need these to see. But they kind of complete the look, don't you think?"
- ―Talos to Nick Fury
- Shapeshifting: Like the rest of his species, Talos was able to shapeshift into sentient beings, perfectly matching their height, voice, unique physical characteristics, and even copying their clothing. However, he has to visually perceive the person who is going to be imitated. Talos admitted that this is more of a skill and requires practice, and perhaps some remarkable talent to use.
- Memory Replication: Anyone that he replicates, Talos is able to mimic the exact memories of that person, allowing Talos to perfectly imitate the person. However, he can only replicate the person's short-term memory and most recent thoughts, making him unable to use information from years ago. This is how Nick Fury deduced that he was not Keller, as Talos referred to him by his first name, which not even his mother does.
- Superhuman Strength: Talos was able to overpower Nick Fury easily and toss him around.
- Superhuman Durability: Talos was able to survive a direct Photon Blast from Carol Danvers.
- Superhuman Agility: Talos has a greater agility, dexterity, balance, and body coordination much bigger than a being.
- Expert Combatant: Talos is a very skilled fighter, capable of fighting formidable combatants such as Carol Danvers, Yon-Rogg, and Nick Fury.
- Expert Leader: To be added
- Expert Tactician: To be added
- Skrull Blaster: Talos carried this as a sidearm, standard to all military personnel in the Skrull Empire.
- Skrull Electroshock Baton: During the Ambush on Torfa, after Vers uncovered Talos' disguise as Soh-Larr, Talos used this baton to electrocute her, and take her into Skrull custody.
- SIG Sauer P226: The SIG Sauer P226 was the standard pistol issued to S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel in the 1990s. As such, Keller carried this on his sidearm, and when Talos simmed him, he took possession of the weapon and used it while hunting down Carol Danvers, and engaged in a duel with Nick Fury over it.
- In the comics, Talos was a Skrull who didn't possess the shapeshifting abilities of his species due to a genetic defect, but became respected as a fearsome warrior and gained the nickname of Talos the Untamed.
- Talos is also the name of a norse deity in the game Skyrim.
Behind the Scenes
- Ben Mendelsohn portrays Talos' true Skrull form with his own Australian accent, while he portrays Talos disguised as Keller with an American accent inspired by politician Donald Rumsfeld.
- Kieran Gallagher and Colin Follenweider were stunt doubles for Ben Mendelsohn in the role of Talos.
- James Henderson was a stand-in for Ben Mendelsohn in the role of Talos.
- According to Marvel Studios' Senior Visual Development Artist Jackson Sze, the reason Talos wears trenchcoat is because his look would eventually inspire Nick Fury to wear his own iconic trenchcoat seen in other installments of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, such as The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.