Talos is a Skrull General who had collaborated with Mar-Vell in order to save the remnants of his own people from the Kree Empire. As the war between the Skrulls and Kree progressed, Talos managed to extract information about the Light-Speed Engine from Carol Danvers and arrived on Planet C-53 to retrieve it. On C-53, Talos had confronted Vers and Nick Fury, while disguised as Keller, however, Talos' deception was soon exposed. Eventually, Talos helped Vers to realize that the Kree had been manipulating her as she had finally agreed to aid him, fighting the Starforce to find a new home for the surviving Skrulls, as well as his own family.
In 2024, Talos and Soren were asked by Fury to travel to Earth and impersonate himself and Maria Hill, respectively, while Fury took a leave of absence on vacation on his flagship. In doing so, Talos took the command of Fury's tactical team and came into conflict with the rising global threat of the Elementals, and bargained an alliance with Quentin Beck and Spider-Man, before realizing Beck's fraudulence.
Fugitives from the Kree
Talos, a Skrull General for what was once the Skrulls' military forces, had been leading the losing side of the Kree-Skrull War ever since the destruction of the Skrullos at the hands of the Kree Empire and the Accusers. By 1989, Talos brokered an alliance with Mar-Vell, who turned against the Kree Empire and offered Talos, his family and several other Skrull survivors refuge on her laboratory in the orbit of Planet C-53, while she would engineer a Light-Speed Engine to allow the Skrulls to escape Kree opposition.
Unfortunately, as a result of Mar-Vell's assassination executed by Yon-Rogg, this put an indefinite hiatus into her research, and set back their opposition in the war. By 1995, a remnant of the Skrulls led by Talos, who had since abandoned Mar-Vell's laboratory and thus left his family behind for their safety, had sought refuge on Torfa.
- "How did you know the code?"
"How about I tell you my secret when you tell me yours?"
- ―Vers and Talos
The Skrulls, led by Talos, had organized an ambush on Torfa with the objective of capturing Vers. On Torfa, Talos had successfully kidnapped Soh-Larr, a Kree spy, to find the coordinates for the laboratory, which had contained the Tesseract.
They lured Starforce members into the planet by impersonating Soh-Larr and using a code that only he would have known. The Starforce operatives quickly realized that the Torfan natives were Skrulls led by Talos. As most of the Skrulls were made quick work of by the Starforce, 'Soh-Larr' lured Vers to him, and exclaimed his verification code to prove that he wasn't a Skrull. Despite this, Talos revealed himself and abducted her to the Skrull flagship.
The Skrulls hooked Vers to a machine that allows them to visualize scenes of her memories, from where they are able to uncover the alias that Mar-Vell used in planet C-53. Once Vers got back her consciousness, she escaped from the machine and promptly started attacking every single Skrull on site. Talos tried to stall her on her way to the Escape Pod, though his efforts were futile.
Crashing in Los Angeles
The four pods carrying Talos, Norex, and two other Skrulls crash-landed in the Pacific Ocean, on the coast of California, and later emerged at a beach during a sun-sprawling morning in Los Angeles. While familiarizing themselves with their surroundings, Talos gave orders to the three Skrulls under his command to locate Vers. To blend in with the rest of the beach, Talos and the Skrulls had simmed several human surfers.
During the Chase of the Skrulls, which resulted in the death of one of his fellow subordinates at the hands of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, Talos confronted and assumed the guise of Keller, in order to gain the trust of his situational enemies.
'Keller' arrived at the autopsy of the deceased Skrull alongside Nick Fury, pretending to be as confused over the strange alien as Fury was to avoid any suspicion. Still motivated to capture Vers, he instructed Fury to track her down and keep him updated, before sending him off. Once he was alone, 'Keller' began mourning the death of his fellow Skrull and vowed to complete their mission, before leaving as well.
Later, Talos had been contacted by Fury via his Pager, who told him that Vers was with him at the Joint NASA USAF Facility in Nevada, where she was attempting to find some more information regarding Mar-Vell. 'Keller' informed Fury that he and several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were coming to apprehend the threat. Arriving at the facility, Fury became suspicious that his superior was a Skrull impersonator when 'Keller' referred to Fury by his first name when they boarded an elevator to capture Vers.
- "I want to question her alone. Excellent work, Nicholas."
- ―Talos to Nick Fury
During the elevator ride down, Fury attempted to test 'Keller' to confirm his suspicions by asking him if he remembered a strategy during a fictitious mission that he supposedly did with the real Keller in Havana.
Talos, unable to determine if the mission was real or not since Skrulls can only remember recent memories from the people they replicate, said he remembered the fake mission, confirming Fury's suspicion. Talos soon realized that his cover was blown and attempted to disarm and kill Fury, only to be stunned by Vers with a photon blast. While 'Keller' was incapacitated, Fury and Vers escaped to the facility's hangar. After 'Keller' sent several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents after the fugitives, the agents opened fire when the Quadjet became airborne and fled the facility.
Frustrated by losing Vers and Fury, 'Keller' took a moment, when he was interrupted by an agent who informed him about their process of locating the Quadjet, which Talos was confused on how they weren't able to do it quicker. He was then handed a file from Whitcher on a crash that occurred six years ago that matched Vers' memories. 'Keller' then asked if there was a record of the crash, which Whitcher informed him of a Black box that they had, which Talos later instructed Norex to retrieve. Talos then looked at the files and discovered Maria Rambeau and her address, leading him to head to the location.
Negotiating an Agreement
Talos and Norex tracked Vers to the Rambeau Residence, after she found out the truth about her real origins, about her being from Earth and previous Air Force pilot working with Mar-Vell. At first Carol, Maria and Fury believed him to be there for evil intentions. Talos was able to convince them that he was there to negotiate a peaceful deal and everybody calmed down.
Once the negotiation is successful, restoring Carol Danvers' memories of her crash, Talos alongside Maria Rambeau and Nick Fury began to find Mar-Vell's hidden Laboratory ship at space nearby Earth, while Norex sacrificed his life as a decoy to lure the Starforce, by disguising as Danvers. With the distraction a success, at cost of Norex's life, Talos and his allies finally arrived at Mar-Vell’s hidden lab ship, reuniting with his family and the fellow surviving Skrulls hidden by Mar-Vell once more.
- "You can see they're not soldiers, let them go. You can have me."
- ―Talos to Yon-Rogg
Yon-Rogg learns of the laboratory in orbit and attacks it alongside the rest of the Starforce, capturing Talos and his people, alongside Fury, Rambeau and Goose who are put in other cells, while Danvers is sent to commune with the Supreme Intelligence. During a mental battle with the Intelligence, Danvers manages to break free of its control and awaken her true power which causes all electrical devices aboard the laboratory to overload, icluding the cells Talos and his people were kept in, freeing them. Talos then manages to dispose of and disguise himself as one of the kree guards.
While disguised as a Kree foot soldier, Talos and his people reunited with Fury, Rambeau, and Goose, who too were freed by the efforts of the latter. Talos is shot and injured while risking his life, saving Fury from one of the remaining kree guards, but he manages to escape Mar-Vell's ship with his allies as it was about to be destroyed. Upon landing back at a desert at Earth, the Kree army finally retreats because of Danvers' undefeatable power.
Finding a New Home
Once the battle was over, Talos and his family sought temporary refuge at the Rambeau Residence, joining them for dinner. Afterwards, Captain Marvel left to search the galaxy for a habitable planet for the Skrulls to live. Using the Light-Speed Engine, Talos and his family followed suit.
Skirmish in Mexico
In 2024, Talos and his wife Soren were called to Earth to impersonate Nick Fury and Maria Hill, while the latter two were away. Fury required Talos to act as himself to watch over Spider-Man, and ensure Parker received an item that Tony Stark left for him. After the two arrived on Earth, and keeping with their aliases, they began an investigation in the city of Ixtenco, Mexico. There they encountered Quentin Beck, who arrived to battle Sandman.
In summer 2024, Talos had Happy Hogan tell Spider-Man he would call, but was ghosted by the high schooler and made to speed dial him. Repeatedly failing to contact Parker, Talos awaited him in his room at the Hotel DeMatteis. Tranquilizing Ned Leeds, he tried to explain the situation but was repeatedly interrupted by Parker's tour group members at the door which forced them to relocate to his hideout.
At the base, Talos introduced Parker to Quentin Beck, who explained the situation. Talos then requested Parker to help in their mission to destroy the Elementals, with the Fire Elemental projected to appear in Prague. Since Parker wanted to continue his vacation, Talos hijacked the travel itinerary of his European tour to change the Paris stop to Prague to "respect" Parker's wishes of staying on his vacation while ensuring the mission succeeds.
Talos rerouted Peter Parker's travel group to a rest stop in Austria where his envoy, the Seamstress, would deliver Parker a stealth suit. However, he later learned the incident of Parker's negligence calling for an inadvertent drone strike on his tour bus endangering his friends. The night of Parker's arrival in Prague, he berated him for his negligence in the endangering his friends. Once Parker left, Quentin Beck followed momentarily.
As Parker and his class were seating in the State Opera, Talos called Parker through the latter's earpiece to determine if he was in position. As Parker was attempting to talk his way out of the opera, Talos urged him to move. Once Parker was set in the predicted coordinates of the Molten Man that arose from the ground and began the assault. During the battle where Beck and Parker were struggling to suppress the creature, Talos and Soren in their respective forms raced with their assault teams to reach the duo. They arrived at the climax of the battle, where just as the Molten Man was gaining too much mass, Beck seemingly sacrificed himself to destroy it and emerged victoriously.
Maintaining his persona, Talos approached Beck to propose a new team and to rendezvous in Berlin for talks. While Beck agrees candidly, he approached Parker to reiterate that, but while the young hero was gifted, he needed to find focus in how he used himself. Talos then departed with his team for clean-up and mission report activity, while Beck invited Parker to a pub.
An unexpected resurgence of Elemental activity made Talos call in Mysterio to scout the city of London to report what happened. After Beck departed, Talos received a call from Happy Hogan with a coded message, alerting him of Beck's deception. As the Elemental Fusion attacked Tower Bridge, Beck's report of the matter finally convinced Talos that Beck was lying.
Readying for a potential assassination, Soren had set up on the roof with a rocket launcher. Upon Spider-Man's victory at exposing the illusion of the Drone, including the cloaked drone aimed at Talos at the time, he asked if she had him with Soren replying she did, shooting the drone at once and destroying it.
Following Spider-Man's victory, Talos wanted a debrief which was denied by Happy Hogan, as Parker wanted to enjoy what was left of his vacation. Talos chuckled at the response, demanding Hogan ensure some report of how the battle occurred, or there would be consequences.
Rendezvous with Nick Fury
Following the fight between Beck and Parker, Talos realized just how far he had been deceived. Despite justifying Beck's quality of deception, Soren still compelled him to report to Nick Fury. He completed his mission as Fury to protect Earth in his absence, but failed in his part to protect Parker when Beck leaked doctored footage to The Daily Bugle that exposed Parker's identity and incriminated him for the events of London.
As Talos called Nick Fury, he confirmed that he had returned custody of E.D.I.T.H. and Tony Stark's glasses to Peter Parker, but he was hesitant to go into full detail about his blunders with Beck. Nevertheless, he still successfully conveyed the message of requiring Fury's official return from the Skrull ship he was on. While Talos was delivering a long message, Fury cut the recording short.
- "You know, you should always be polite to your neighbors. You never know when you might need to borrow some sugar."
Despite appearing to be a fearsome military leader on the surface, Talos is an honorable, kind, and caring leader who wants the best for the Skrull population and his family, whose safety he puts before everything else. He respects diplomacy, often choosing to solve problems through negotiations rather than conflict, as he called out Carol Danvers for being too quick to attack during his visit to the Rambeau Residence. That being said, Talos has an intense hatred towards the Kree and won't hesitate to resort to violence when facing them or those who he thinks are their allies, as was seen by how he also attempted to kill Nick Fury when the latter was working with Vers and discovered that he was impersonating Keller.
Talos is a pragmatic person willing to forgive others and accept his mistakes, as he decided to seek help from Danvers and Fury upon discovering that they were being misled by the Kree into thinking that the Skrulls were the enemy and wanted to clear the misunderstanding despite knowing that Danvers could eradicate any of his soldiers with ease. Talos was even willing to confront Fury and Danvers in his true form without any shapeshifting as a sign of trust and helped Danvers rediscover her real identity. He also apologized to Fury for their previous encounter.
Once his trust is earned, Talos is a very loyal ally and respects the wishes of those he works with; after learning of Fury's preference to only be called "Fury", he used this as a code word to let him know he had disguised himself as one of the Kree attempting to take him and the Skrulls hostage. Talos also felt sympathetic towards Danvers after learning that she had been manipulated by the Kree into becoming their weapon, he also did not hold any grudge against her for her previous hostility either.
Talos also has a tendency to use humor as a way to defuse tense situations, but due to being unaccustomed to human socialization, he can sometimes come off as awkward when asked about his shapeshifting abilities. Talos is afraid of Flerkens, he often warned Nick Fury to stay away from Goose, which eventually became an ultimate price of his regrets, his left eye.
Talos and Fury mantained a friendship over the years, to the point that Fury allowed Talos to impersonate him in order to investigate the Elementals and track down Spider-Man. During that time Talos knew Fury's mannerism enough that he could convincingly trick everyone around him into thinking that he was the real Fury, however some aspects of his impersonation were off, most notably Talos' trustworthy nature made him believe Mysterio's lies rather easily whereas it is implied that the real Fury would've seen through Beck's deception.
Powers and Abilities
- Shapeshifting: Like the rest of his species, Talos has the ability to shapeshift into sentient humanoid beings, perfectly matching their height, voice, unique physical characteristics, and even copying their clothing- by way of Skrull co-morphing apparel. However, he has to visually perceive the person who is going to be imitated, and Talos has admitted that this is more of a skill requiring practice, and perhaps some remarkable talent to use.
- Voice impersonation: Talos is able to accurately replicate the voice of whoever he is shapeshifting into as a means to further sell the impersonation.
- Memory Replication: Talos is able to mimic the exact memories of anyone he replicates, allowing him to perfectly imitate the person. However, he can only replicate the person's short-term memory and most recent thoughts, making him unable to use information from years ago but recent memory like the last few days. This was how Nick Fury deduced that he was not Keller, as Talos referred to him by his first name "Nick", which Keller never did.
- Superhuman Strength: Talos has considerable levels of superhuman strength and was able to overpower Nick Fury easily and toss him around. However, his strength is average when compared to others of his race.
- Superhuman Durability: His skin, bones and muscles are denser and tougher than a human being, being able to survive a direct Photon Blast from Carol Danvers at approximate point blank range.
- Superhuman Agility: Talos was able to fight with Carol Danvers and Nick Fury, with both agility and superior reflexes.
- Expert Combatant: Talos is highly trained in unarmed combat, capable of fighting expert combatants such as Carol Danvers, Yon-Rogg, and Nick Fury.
- Expert Leader: Talos was a General of Skrull forces, and even after their home planet was destroyed, he led a group of surviving Skrulls on Torfa and their flagship into capturing Vers, Starforce's most prominent member, and eventually led them to victory by allying with her.
- Expert Marksman: Talos is an accomplished marksman, capable of using a blaster to takedown three Starforce guards with ease. He also precisely shot Ned Leeds in the neck with a tranquilizer dart.
- Expert Tactician: As the leader of the remaining Skrulls, he orchestrated an ambush against the Kree's most elite squad of warriors, leading to the capture of Vers. Even though she proved to be too strong for the Skrulls to keep in custody and easily escaped, Talos again made good use of the situation by infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D. and gathering information about her, turning her against the Kree and allying with her; A decision that later pays off greatly, as she single-handedly destroys a large armada of Kree warships and helps the Skrulls find a new home.
- Skrull Blaster: Talos carried this as a sidearm, standard to all military personnel of the Skrull race.
- Skrull Electroshock Baton: During the Ambush on Torfa, after Vers uncovered Talos' disguise as Soh-Larr, Talos used this baton to electrocute her, and take her into Skrull custody.
- SIG Sauer P226: The SIG Sauer P226 was the standard pistol issued to S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel in the 1990s. As such, Keller carried this on his sidearm, and when Talos knocked him out, he took possession of the weapon and used it while hunting down Carol Danvers, and engaged in a duel with Nick Fury over it.
- Kree Blaster: Talos carried this as a sidearm while under the disguise as a Kree foot soldier.
- Crosman 2240 CO2 Pistol: Talos used this tranquilizer gun to shoot Ned Leeds in the neck during his first meeting with Peter Parker.
- Tony Stark's Glasses: Talos received this pair of glasses, which housed the E.D.I.T.H. AI, from Fury, who in turn had received them from Tony Stark in the event of his death. The Skrull kept these glasses with him until he gave them to Parker.
- Skrulls' Ship: Talos was the commander of a large ship in Earth's orbit, which served as their flagship. After he captures Vers, he brings her to this ship, as it housed a memory probe that he wanted to use to search her memories.
- Quadjet: Talos' science advisor modifies the Quadjet that Vers and Fury had stolen, making it capable of launching into Earth's orbit. Talos then rides the Quadjet to Mar-Vell's Laboratory, along with Vers, Fury, Maria Rambeau and Goose. He rides it again when they escape the laboratory and go back on Earth.
- Mar-Vell's Laboratory: Mar-Vell had kept a number of Skrull refugees including Talos' family in her laboratory, but was unable to inform Talos of its whereabouts in Earth's orbit before she was assassinated. Talos, with help from Vers and Fury, eventually finds it and reunites with his family. However, they are forced to escape it after the Starforce arrive at the laboratory.
- Talos' Command Ship: To be added
- Audi e-tron SUV: Disguised as Nick Fury, he rode this car to missions.
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Field Office: After impersonating Keller, Talos visits this office. While watching over the Skrull Spy's body, Nick Fury explains his encounter with the Skrulls to Talos, who orders Fury to track down Vers and investigate the Skrull invasion.
- Nick Fury's Hideout: To be added
- Shard: To be added
- In the comics, Talos was a Skrull who didn't possess the shapeshifting abilities of his species due to a genetic defect, but became respected as a fearsome warrior and gained the nickname of Talos the Untamed.
Behind the Scenes
- Ben Mendelsohn portrays Talos' true Skrull form with his own Australian accent, while he portrays Talos disguised as Keller with an American accent inspired by politician Donald Rumsfeld.
- Ben Mendelsohn was uncredited for his appearance in Spider-Man: Far From Home.
- Kieran Gallagher and Colin Follenweider were stunt doubles for Ben Mendelsohn in the role of Talos.
- James Henderson was a stand-in for Ben Mendelsohn in the role of Talos.
- According to Marvel Studios' Senior Visual Development Artist Jackson Sze, the reason Talos wears a trenchcoat is because his look would eventually inspire Nick Fury to wear his own iconic trenchcoat seen in other installments of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, such as The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.