Centuries ago, the Frost Giants of Jotunheim, led by their king Laufey, arrived to Tønsberg, planning to conquer Midgard, freezing everything in their path using the Casket of Ancient Winters to plunge the world in a new glacial period. However, the Asgardian army, led by King Odin, defended Midgard and engaged in a war against the Frost Giants, forcing them to abandon Earth and retreat to their own world. Years later, Odin brought the Tesseract to Tønsberg and elected to leave it in the care of Asgardian worshipers.
During World War II, Johann Schmidt, German SS officer and leader of HYDRA, organized an incursion in Norway searching for the Tesseract. Following its trails until reaching a church full of Viking warriors entombed within its walls, Schmidt interrogated the Church Keeper, who tried to make Schmidt cease his search, claiming the Tesseract was a simple myth.
Schmidt, convinced of its existence as the most valuable object in Odin's Vault, located a fake replica inside one of the tombs, and threatened the Church Keeper to kill all the inhabitants of the village if he didn't help him locate the Tesseract. Schmidt then focused his attention at a sculptured mural of Yggdrasil, finding a hidden box behind a Nidhogg depiction in the mural with the actual Tesseract inside. The Church Keeper warned Schmidt that he wouldn't control the Tesseract's power, but Schmidt killed him and ordered his army to destroy Tønsberg.
In 2018, following the Snap, Tønsberg was repopulated by the surviving Asgardians who renamed it New Asgard. The aftermath of the Infinity War and the inability to undo the Snap left Thor bitter and he became a drunken overweight hermit who cared nothing about his people. Over the next five years, the Asgardians lived peacefully as fishermen, accepting the fact that their days of battles and glory were over.
- Tønsberg is regarded as the oldest town in Norway.
- The Tønsberg scenes in Avengers: Endgame were filmed at St Abbs. Signs in the small fishing village now proclaim it to be twinned with New Asgard.
- In the comics, the Asgardians settled near Broxton, Oklahoma after Asgard fell on Earth after the Siege of the city.
- In the alternate reality of Earth-3515, New Asgard was a city built over the ruins of New York City after the Asgardians conquered Earth.
- As a small fishing village, New Asgard closely resembles Asgard as it was originally envisioned in Norse Mythology.
Behind the Scenes
- While developing the story of Spider-Man: Far From Home, New Asgard was considered to be one of the stops in Europe as part of the trip of Peter Parker and his friends, but the idea was dropped.