|For alternate versions of Surtur, see Surtur's Character Hub|
Surtur was a Fire Demon, lord of Muspelheim, and a significant figure in the prophecy of Ragnarök as the one who would initiate the fall of Asgard. Seeking to prevent this prophecy, Odin defeated Surtur thousands of years ago, taking the source of his power, the Eternal Flame back to Asgard and confining Surtur to Muspelheim, where he remained for over 5,000 years. After Odin went missing following the Second Dark Elf Conflict, a weakened Surtur intended to finally start Ragnarök, only to be defeated and killed by Thor. Despite this, Loki later resurrected him with the Eternal Flame and used him to defeat Hela. Surtur then fulfilled the prophecy of Ragnarök by destroying Asgard along with Hela and himself in the process, unaware that the realm had already been evacuated.
Banished by Odin
There is an ancient Asgardian prophecy describing the ultimate destruction of Asgard in a cataclysmic event known as Ragnarök. According to the prophecy, the end of Asgard was to begin with the Fire Demon Surtur, empowered by his Eternal Flame, raining destruction down on the Asgardian home world, consuming it in flames.
Seeking to subvert fate, Odin battled Surtur, incapacitating him and taking the Eternal Flame, which he brought back to Asgard, sealing it in a vault beneath the palace. Surtur was left severely weakened, hobbled by a damaged leg and arm, in Muspelheim, where he spent thousands of years plotting vengeance.
Beginning of the End
Two years following the devastation of the Battle of Sokovia, Surtur had been informed that Thor had been searching across the Nine Realms for the Infinity Stones. Surtur then took the opportunity to take Thor as his hostage, locking him in a cage within Muspelheim. When he chose to speak with him, Surtur then had the chained up Thor dropped from his cage down before Surtur's throne.
Thor expressed his surprise at seeing Surtur was still alive, noting that Odin had seemingly killed him half a million years ago, although Surtur insisted he could not die until he had fulfilled his destiny and laid waste to Asgard. As Thor explained that he had been having dreams of this, Surtur claimed that Thor was seeing Ragnarök, but before he could continue on, Thor awkwardly swung around in his chains and asked to wait until they were back facing each other.
As Surtur continued to explain how his power would grow as big as a mountain once the Crown of Surtur had finally been reunited back with the Eternal Flame, Thor, however, noted that the flame was still locked away inside Odin's Vault where Surtur could not get near it. Surtur, however, revealed that Odin is no longer on Asgard, before insisting that Ragnarök had already begun. Upon hearing this, Thor then responded by calling Mjølnir and breaking free of his chains.
Despite his prisoner's escape, Surtur merely laughed, claiming that Thor had made a grave mistake as he sent his Fire Demons to destroy the God of Thunder. Thor was unintimidated, however, as he used his Asgardian might to easily fight back against Surtur's forces. When Thor was proving himself to be a vastly stronger warrior than all of the demons, Surtur responded by using his Twilight Sword to launch flames at Thor, which he was still able to block.
Thor then proceeded to launch Mjølnir directly at Surtur several more times, knocking him back, before Thor unleashed a final blow while charged with lightning and smashed Surtur on the head. This final blow had seemingly killed Surtur as all of his power and essence was absorbed into his Crown. Thor then proceeded to make his escape while chased down by a Fire Dragon as Thor returned to Asgard and had the crown locked away deep inside Odin's Vault for safety.
Some time later when Thor came to reclaim Asgard from the clutches of Hela, he found it too difficult a task to defeat her alone due to her incredible strength. With the surviving population of the Asgardians disembarking from Asgard on the Statesman, Thor made a decision to actualize Ragnarök and use Surtur's power to defeat and kill Hela. Knowing the Asgardian people were out of harm's way, he ordered Loki to place Surtur's crown in the Eternal Flame, thereby finally resurrecting him.
Within moments, Surtur had regained his form and then continued growing, until he smashed through the Royal Palace of Valaskjalf, completely destroying it in a massive fireball as he proudly declared himself to be Asgard's final doom while he towered over the entire Realm. While both Thor and Valkyrie defeated the horrified Hela, Surtur had begun using his Twilight Sword to lay waste to Asgard, burning the streets and smashing all of the Realm's buildings apart in his fury.
With almost all of Asgard now in flames below him, Surtur prepared to thrust his blade, as was foretold in the prophecy, straight through Asgard. However, he was briefly stopped when Hulk had jumped towards Surtur's head in an attempt to fight him. As Hulk punched at the Crown of Surtur with the intent to overpower the Fire Demon, he failed to do so as Surtur managed to throw him away before Thor ordered Hulk to escape from Asgard with them before it was too late.
Moments before Surtur could complete his destiny, however, Hela rose from below the Bifrost Bridge and furiously attempted to battle against Surtur, using all her Necroswords to impale the Fire Demon. However, Surtur remained unaffected and, as foretold in the prophecy, he penetrated his blade straight through Hela and embedded it deep within Asgard. This final strike caused the foundations of Asgard to implode, finally destroying it and killing Surtur.
Surtur was a sinister, cold, emotionless, remorseless and diabolical individual who would not hesitate to kill anyone who stood in his way, be it friend or foe. He was the ultimate personification of destruction; he had used his mighty powers against his enemies, and had no fear to destroy everything in his path, indicating the fact that Ragnarök must happen and that only he can ensure it happens.
Surtur seemed to be only and completely committed to his destiny to bring forth Ragnarök by destroying Asgard. In fact, he was so committed to his destiny that, when it came time to initiate Ragnarök, he didn't even take time to notice that there were no people on Asgard. He even proved to be suicidal as he was willing to forsake his own life in order to destroy Asgard.
Surtur also appeared to have a very serious, no nonsense mindset, being visibly annoyed when Thor refused to take him seriously during their first encounter.
Powers and Abilities
- Fire Demon Physiology: Surtur was one of the most powerful beings in the cosmos, capable, even in his weakened state, of nearly overpowering Thor. After being resurrected by the Eternal Flame, Surtur's powers were immeasurably increased as he was finally able to bring Ragnarök to Asgard, destroying the incredibly powerful Hela in the process.
- Superhuman Strength: Even while weakened, Surtur was still strong enough to challenge Thor. After being resurrected at full power by the Eternal Flame, Surtur's strength was such that he was able to effortlessly swat away Hulk and quickly destroy Hela, who had herself been able to fight Thor and Valkyrie to a stalemate. Odin is the only being known to have been able to defeat Surtur at full power, having depowered, wounded, and banished him thousands of years ago.
- Superhuman Durability: Surtur was able to withstand blows from Mjølnir in his weakened state, only dying after sustaining a full-power electrically charged blow from the hammer to the head. Surtur's durability, with all his other abilities, increased massively following his resurrections by the Eternal Flame. In this state, Surtur was practically invulnerable, being only slightly phased by a leaping blow from Hulk and being only barely affected by Hela piercing him with an onslaught of huge blades. He also withstood a powerful shockwave that wiped the surface of the whole of Asgard. Odin, however, was able to severely wounded him at full power, leaving him battered and hobbled for more than 5,000 years.
- Immortality: Surtur was effectively ageless, living as long as he needed in order to initiate Ragnarök, as recorded in a file from the Time Variance Authority called "Event Inquiry: Destruction of Asgard."
- Fire Manipulation: As a Fire Demon, Surtur can generate massive waves of fiery energy from his Twilight Sword. This fire was strong enough that, in his weakened state, he was able to hold his own against Thor. Upon reaching full power, Surtur's flames were strong enough to consume all of Asgard.
- Sword Mastery: Surtur is adept in the use of his Twilight Sword, a massive flaming blade he used to slice through whole palaces and kill Hela.
- Twilight Sword: An enormous sword seemingly composed of fire. It can launch fiery projectiles to engulf targets and grows to match Surtur's size when he is restored to full strength. Surtur was able to bring about Ragnarök by plunging the blade into the ground, shattering Asgard and everything on it, killing Hela in one fell swoop.
- Crown of Surtur: A burning crown that sustains Surtur's lifeforce and gives him his power. When removed, it turns a dull grayish color and Surtur's body disappears. When combined with the Eternal Flame, Surtur attains his full, realm-destroying power.
- Eternal Flame: The Eternal Flame is an everlasting fire which was taken from Surtur by Odin thousands of years ago and kept in his vault on Asgard. Hela used it to revive her army and wolf, Fenris. It was later used by Loki to revive Surtur and bring about Ragnarök. By placing the Crown of Surtur in the Eternal Flame, Surtur was able to destroy Asgard completely.
- Surtur's Lair: This lair was Surtur's domain in Muspelheim where he resided with other Fire Demons and the Fire Dragon following his defeat by Odin. It was also where he confronted and intended to kill the captured Thor, only for the latter to slay him and his subordinates before bringing his crown to Asgard.
- Surtur is based on the Norse mythological figure Surtr. In the comics, he is a recurring foe of Thor's and is responsible for the destruction of the Korbinites' homeworld when creating his Twilight Sword.