The Supreme Intelligence is an artificial intelligence and the ruler of the Kree Empire who embodies the empire's greatest minds. The Supreme Intelligence appears as a different person to everyone, notably appearing as Mar-Vell to Vers.
Recruiting Carol Danvers
When Mar-Vell, one of the top Kree scientists on Hala living undercover on the Earth, decided to turn her back on the Kree and aid the Skrulls to escape from Kree oppression, and search for a new place to live using her Light-Speed Engine, the Supreme Intelligence dispatched Yon-Rogg and Minn-Erva, two Starforce members, to capture Mar-Vell and retrieve the Light-Speed Engine.
However, the operatives were unsuccessful in carrying out the mission assassinating Mar-Vell, while the Light-Speed Engine was destroyed by Carol Danvers, one of Mar-Vell's test pilots, absorbing its energy in the process. Yon-Rogg then took her to Hala, recognizing her usefulness in the war against the Skrulls, the Supreme Intelligence renamed her "Vers" and integrated her into the Starforce team. To make Danvers one of them, the Supreme Intelligence had her believe that the Skrulls invaded and destroyed her home, her family and her memory away from her, giving her the Photon Inhibitor to use her powers to fight back and giving her a "purpose".
One day, Vers visited the Supreme Intelligence to receive some advice from her about her mysterious past and her joining the Starforce. The Supreme Intelligence lied to Vers and explained that the Skrulls have threatened Hala as well as many other planets. She then suggested Vers to overcome her emotions and her past, citing that perhaps her loss of memory was a kind of mercy to spare her from a deeper pain.
Capture and Escape of Vers
After advising Vers, the Supreme Intelligence gave the Starforce team a mission to go to Torfa and rescue the Kree spy Soh-Larr from Talos and his Skrull forces. However, the rescue plan failed and Vers ended up getting kidnapped by Talos, but she managed to escape aboard the ship using one of the Skrulls' Space Pods to Earth, her original homeworld, where she found the Tesseract that powered the Light-Speed Engine. As such, the Starforce team was assigned by the Supreme Intelligence to go to planet C-53 to retrieve Vers and the Tesseract.
Before leaving for Earth, Yon-Rogg was called by the Supreme Intelligence, who wanted to question his leadership abilities. Adopting Yon-Rogg's own appearance, the Supreme Intelligence reprimanded him for his feelings towards Vers, for having executed Mar-Vell in 1989 when his mission was to capture her and for indirectly causing the Light-Speed Engine to allow Vers to obtain superhuman abilities. Afraid of his fate, Yon-Rogg told the Supreme Intelligence that he would kill Vers himself, but the Supreme Intelligence instead asked him to bring Vers alive back to it, so they could disable her powers and obtain the core.
After having been captured by the Starforce, Vers was brought to the Supreme Intelligence in restraints. Still under the impersonation of Mar-Vell, the Intelligence revealed its true, arrogant nature by taunting her about her weaknesses. This continued until Captain Marvel removed her Photon Inhibitor and unlocked her true powers, freeing herself from the Supreme Intelligence's control and proceeding to defeat her former teammates, and then stop the Accusers from destroying the Earth.
After driving Ronan's forces away from the Earth, Captain Marvel descended to the Mojave Desert and once there she easily defeated Yon-Rogg, whom she spared to send him back to Hala with a message for the Supreme Intelligence: that she would be back for it, to put an end to its genocidal war and lies.
Unknown to most Kree, the Supreme Intelligence was actually really vast for most of them, as it used to adopt new forms for whoever was communing to it as a unique virtual form which represented a respected and admired individual above all others for one talking to it, leading the Kree to realize that even their minds couldn't comprehend its true image yet learning to respect it as their supreme ruler. For Captain Marvel, the Supreme Intelligence took the form of Mar-Vell, her mentor.
When evaluating Vers, the Supreme Intelligence presented itself to her as being wise, cautious and understanding. This was seen in the way the Supreme Intelligence counseled Vers on focusing less upon the mystery of her past and more upon her present duty to fight for the good of the Kree Empire. To make her one of them, the Supreme Intelligence assured Vers that the Skrulls were responsible for taking away her home, her family and her memory from her to convince her of joining them, giving her the Photon Inhibitor and a "purpose".
However, when the Supreme Intelligence confronted Carol Danvers after she became aware of her human past, the Supreme Intelligence was shown to be callous, arrogant, and completely dismissive of Danvers' humanity, judging it to be her greatest weakness. The Supreme Intelligence also showed a capacity to adapt to new information gleaned from the subjects it connected to as it took on an appearance more in alignment with human fashion and showed a mockery of appreciation for popular music.
Powers and Abilities
Dimensional Lordship: Within its own dimension in the minds of people, the Supreme Intelligence has complete control over its own realm.
- Superhuman Intellect: The Supreme Intelligence is an A.I., thus possessing an advanced intelligence compared to regular living beings. The Supreme Intelligence has the collective knowledge, memories, philosophies and experiences of all of the Kree throughout the ages. It is shown to be able to process and adapt to new information and stimuli rapidly.
- Avatar Creation: Within its dimension, the Supreme Intelligence can create a body to communicate with the person who wants to talk to it, usually choosing someone that is familiar to the recipient.
- Superhuman Strength: The Supreme Intelligence possessed great physical strength and could overpower and throw Carol Danvers against a wall with relative ease.
- Mind Manipulation: The Supreme Intelligence could make Carol see her past and the times she failed in her life.
- Photon Inhibitor Manipulation: The Supreme Intelligence proved to be able to activate the Photon Inhibitor to prevent Carol from attacking her with her photon blasts.
- Energy Blasts: The Supreme Intelligence can generate powerful explosions of green energy from its hands.
- Starforce Uniform (as Mar-Vell and Yon-Rogg): While posing as the Kree traitor Mar-Vell, and Kree commander Yon-Rogg, the Supreme Intelligence depicts itself as wearing the same uniform worn by all members of the Starforce, including Captain Marvel. However, as the uniform forms part of its digital manifestation and isn't a real one, it doesn't contain all the real uniform's capabilities.
To be added
- In the comics, the Supreme Intelligence is an organic artificial intelligence who ruled over the Kree Empire and was created by the Kree using the minds and knowledge of their most influential citizens.
Behind the Scenes
- Annette Bening wasn't initially intended to play the Supreme Intelligence as well as Mar-Vell, with the original idea, according to Anna Boden, was for the Supreme Intelligence to have a separate figure, but it was ultimately decided to have Bening playing both roles so the Intelligence could represent somebody from Captain Marvel's past that she knew and admired but she didn't know who it was because she had that part of her self missing.
- Production designer Andy Nicholson has stated that the Supreme Intelligence's comic book depiction was originally set to make an appearance in the film as its true form in the moment in which Carol Danvers pulls out her Photon Inhibitor: "It was there. We did develop a line where within that space from the big pool of water in the back of the room, that eventually, that's where the big green head would come out of. I think eventually for the final scene of the movie, it would've taken away from what was the core focus which was, it would've been a big spectacle which would've overwhelmed the main thrust of what we were doing which was talking about Carol's development and transformation into Captain Marvel".
- Elisabeth P. Carpenter and Ingrid Kleinig were stunt doubles for Annette Bening in the role of the Supreme Intelligence.