|For alternate versions of Sprite, see Sprite's Character Hub|
Sprite is the grandiose storyteller of the community of genetically-engineered Eternals who came to Earth millennia ago. Having the permanent appearance of a child, Sprite told stories to humanity across the centuries, creating many myths and legends throughout history.
In 2023, Sprite was living with Sersi in London when Kro attacked, prompting them, along with Ikaris, to seek out Ajak, only to find her dead. In order to stop the threat of the Emergence, the Eternals reformed, Sprite accompanying the team as they reunited with Thena, Gilgamesh and Druig. At Druig's Compound, Kingo revealed his awareness of Sprite's secret, that she was in love with Ikaris, but was unable to be with him. When Ikaris betrayed the group, Sprite, motivated by her love, took his side, and fought against Sersi to stop her from preventing the Emergence. She failed, and the Emergence was prevented. After the battle and Ikaris' death, Sersi agreed to transform Sprite into a human, so she could live the life she always wanted.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Creation
- 1.2 Protecting Humans
- 1.3 Emergence
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
|This section requires expansion|
Sprite was built and programmed by Arishem the Judge, and presumably was sent to multiple planets to protect and help evolve sentient life forms from the Deviants, powering a Celestial seed inside the planet, which would absorb the energy made from the sentient lifeforms. Eventually, the Emergence would occur, destroying the planet in the process. Upon finishing their mission, the Eternals would be sent back to the World Forge to have their memories erased and reset.
Arriving on Earth
Sprite and the rest of the Eternals were sent to Earth on the Domo. Once awoken, the Eternals were provided with suits to wear before arriving at the planet. Not being one of the Eternal's main fighters, Sprite waited as the others fought the Deviants. When the Deviants attacking the humans were defeated, Sprite came down, and the Eternals presented themselves to the race they were assigned to protect.
Shaping Earth's Mythology
Following a battle against the Deviants in Babylon, the Eternals began to have a celebration with the humans who resided in the city. Sprite used her illusions to showcase and embellish Gilgamesh's exploits, which resulted in Gilgamesh becoming deified in Mesopotamian history. Sometime later, the Eternals left Babylon and relocated to Athens, Greece to continue fighting Deviants. During this period, Sprite once again introduced fictionalized stories of the Eternals to the native human population, creating tales regarding the flying Ikaris and Thena, the Eternal Goddess of War. The Ancient Greeks, who referred to Ikaris and Thena as Icarus and Athena respectively, incorporated them into their historical legends and mythology as deities.
Sprite attended Ikaris and Sersi's wedding in 400 AD at the Gupta Empire. Unlike the rest of her brethren, who observed the events with joy, Sprite looked at the newlyweds with a forlorn expression.
Defeating the Deviants
In 1521 AD, the Eternals believed they defeated the last of the Deviants around Tenochtitlan. However, there was an ongoing genocide between conquistadors and the natives at the same time, and Thena's Mahd Wy'ry took a turn for the worse. Sprite silently witnessed these events and went along with Ajak's plan to disperse the Eternals and make lives of their own.
Life on Earth
Sprite once followed Kingo on his adventures, but was abandoned by him somewhere in Macedonia.
During J. M. Barrie's lifetime, Sprite apparently became the basis for Tinker Bell: Peter Pan was alluded to be Ikaris, Wendy was alluded to be Sersi, and the Lost Boys represented the rest of the Eternals. Sprite's feelings toward Ikaris were picked up on by the author and it showed through Tinker Bell being in love with Peter but unable to be with him. During the same time period, Sprite apparently became acquainted with renowned escape artist Harry Houdini.
Sprite then lived at Ajak's Homestead with Ajak for sometime, before being asked to check on Sersi. Upon realizing how lonely both she and Sersi had become after being abandoned by the people they cared about, Sprite decided to stay in London to keep Sersi company.
Return of the Deviants
In 2023, Sprite lived in a small apartment with Sersi in London. Becoming acquainted with Sersi's new boyfriend Dane Whitman, Sprite told him some of the Eternals' adventures, but the man assumed she was merely spinning tales.
Sprite could go anywhere using illusions, including non-child-friendly locales, such as bars. Donning the guise of an adult woman, she tried flirting with a guy, but when the man accidentally brushed through her illusory hand she hastily excused herself out, claiming he'd had too much to drink. Attending Dane's birthday party next, she witnessed Sersi and Dane making out, prompting her to impatiently call their attention and claim it's way past her bedtime.
Walking home with Sersi (and Dane a few steps ahead), Sprite asked her if she was really in love, urging her to tell Dane the truth about them if so. Sersi was apprehensive of moving in with Dane, though Sprite gave her blessing to go ahead. However, a Deviant rising from the river interrupted their chat, causing Sprite to curse and exclaim at the unbelievable sight. Running away from the monster, Dane realized Sprite's stories about Deviants were true, although Sprite thought they were wiped out centuries ago.
Sersi then tried to draw the Deviant away from the group, instructing Sprite to guard Dane. Shortly after Sersi left, Sprite declared that Dane was fine and rushed to follow Sersi. She then conjured multiple copies of herself and Sersi walking in different directions to confuse the Deviant, which went along fine until a car went through a Sersi illusion, causing another car to collide with it. The Deviant then recognized where the real Sprite was at and lunged toward her, with one of its tentacles managing to knock her down. Fortunately, Ikaris flew in on time to slam the Deviant away.
Helped up to her feet by Dane, Sprite was overjoyed at Ikaris' arrival. The tide of the skirmish turned toward the Eternals' favor, although Sprite observed the Deviant began regenerating wounds caused by Ikaris' optic blasts. Following the creature's escape, Sprite hugged Ikaris then turned her group invisible, allowing them to escape from the arriving police.
Reuniting the Eternals
Once Sprite, Ikaris, and Sersi held off Kro in England, they decided to travel to Ajak's Homestead to discuss the sudden return of the Deviants, and Sprite mused it's about time for a reunion. However, they instead found Ajak's corpse outside the house. While Sersi and Ikaris discussed what they needed to do now, Sprite conjured an illusion of Ajak and her dancing, as a way of coping with the sudden loss of their leader.
Traveling next to Mumbai, India, Sprite witnessed Kingo rehearsing a dance number for the Bollywood movie Shaandar Daastan-e-Ikaris, and acknowledged Karun Patel introducing himself as Kingo's valet to her, Ikaris, and Sersi. Reluctant to discuss Eternal matters within a human's presence, Sprite tried to tell Kingo they need to talk in private, though the latter assured the group Karun already knew who they were. She then broke the news of Ajak's death to him.
Aboard Kingo's private jet en route to Gilgamesh and Thena in Australia, Sprite was interviewed by Kingo, who was trying to make an Eternals documentary. Still mad at him for leaving her in Macedonia, she flipped him off and turned herself invisible. Reappearing later with popcorn, Sprite asked Kingo how nobody was able to figure out his apparent longevity despite being a public figure. While he was explaining his fictitious Bollywood "family dynasty", Sprite reminded him of his abandonment of her. Kingo tried to justify his actions by saying he got tired of having to constantly explain Sprite's stagnant youth, but this only made her angrier as she bitterly mused that they used to be friends. After telling Karun to turn off the camera, Kingo explained to her the reason he went into acting is because he missed her stories and accompanying theatrical embellishments.
On Gilgamesh's residence in the Outback, Sprite helped the other Eternals bring Gilgamesh up to speed on unfolding events while toying with one of his dishes. Thena was deep in a Mahd Wy'ry episode, so Sprite conjured up an illusion of the Domo's interior to help remind Thena who she was.
Later, during a feast prepared by Gilgamesh, Sprite dressed him in a giant baby suit after one too many jokes about her eternal youth, though she discarded the illusion once everyone got their laughs. When the table discussion turned to the Eternals' connections with the Avengers, Sprite wondered who could lead them now that Tony Stark and Steve Rogers are dead and retired, respectively. Ikaris mused himself as a candidate, though Gilgamesh questioned his leadership skills since among their own Ajak chose Sersi as her successor instead. The gentle ribbing caused Sprite to remark that it was harsh.
When Sersi learned the truth about the Eternals' real mission on Earth, Sprite attended the discussion about it. She supposed Thena's Mahd Wy'ry was a memory reset gone wrong, for Thena was actually remembering past missions to other worlds but in a disjointed manner. When the others suggested they should stop or delay the Emergence, Sprite doubted Druig could put something like Tiamut the Communicator back to sleep.
Ikaris ended the discussion by resolving they should gather the other scattered Eternals before doing anything else. Traveling next to Druig's commune in the Amazon, Sprite asked a local where Druig was, claiming they're "old friends from college". Druig mind-controlled the local in response and greeted Sprite.
Later during a dusktime lull, Sprite watched Ikaris from afar, getting startled when Kingo sneaked up behind her. Kingo brought up the Tinker Bell and Peter Pan analogies to her, letting Sprite know he's aware of her unrequited attraction to Ikaris. Sprite wondered why Arishem made her childlike, though Kingo had no answer. Realizing Karun was filming her nearby, Sprite confiscated his second camera and threw it to the ground (the first being destroyed by a Druig-possessed Karun earlier).
Shortly afterward, Kro's pack of Deviants assaulted Druig's compound. Sprite ushered Karun to safety upon suggestion from Kingo, though noting Karun now had a third camera on hand she wondered just how many of the devices he had.
Later, Sprite spent the battle assisting Kingo. While Kingo charged cosmic energy in his hands, Sprite used her cloaking skills to distract a Deviant by reappearing on the battlefield to stab its head, only withdrawing and disappearing when Kingo had enough to take the monster out. When Kingo got thrown into a house Sprite rushed over to his side; he told her to leave him, but she didn't want to. She hastily conjured up an illusion against an oncoming Deviant but the creature slashed through instead, and only a timely intervention from Ikaris prevented it from befalling Sprite. The Deviant was later transformed into a tree by Sersi, causing Sprite to approach the scene as Sersi was never able to do that before.
The battle left Gilgamesh and most of the Deviants dead. Sprite attended his funeral rites and cremation.
Returning to the Domo
Following Phastos and Druig rejoining the team, the Eternals went next to Iraq, where the Domo lay buried for centuries. While Druig mind-controlled the archaeologists in the area Sprite concealed her team, only deactivating the spell once the interlopers went away. As they entered, they realized Makkari had been residing in the ship, filling it with items she had collected from around the world. While examining a scroll Sprite noticed Thena holding a sword that she thought was the Ebony Blade. Thena told her it was Excalibur, and Sprite wryly noted King Arthur used to have a crush on Thena.
With the surviving Eternals now reunited, the plan to delay the Emergence began to take shape. Phastos developed a means to do so called the Uni-Mind, which Sprite noted to be a terrible name. As they all pondered on what they would do once Tiamut was put to sleep, Sersi supposed they could relocate humans to another planet, but Sprite testily asked if the Eternals were going to build them a big ship and get a pair of each animal while they're at it. Phastos joked her sarcasm never saved the planet, though Sprite pointed out space colonization could take decades, which they didn't have. She began to question if humanity was even worth all the trouble, hoping Ikaris would take her side, but he deferred to Sersi's leadership. Sprite angrily stormed off.
Later, Ikaris confessed he already knew about the Emergence and he had Ajak killed to delay the others. Sprite chose to join him and conjured up a swarm of insects to cover their departure. Only afterward did Kingo tell everyone of Sprite's attraction to Ikaris, which nobody else aside from Kingo realized.
Siding with Ikaris
Ikaris and Sprite arrived at the Emergence point on the Indian Ocean, watching the active volcano from afar. As they waited for the others to make their move, Ikaris expressed his gratitude towards Sprite for remaining loyal to him even after learning about his betrayal, although he remained unaware that she stayed by him because of her unrequited love, much to her sorrow.
During the Eternals' attempt to stop the Emergence, Sprite attempted to persuade Sersi from transmuting Tiamut with an illusion of Ajak, claiming she isn't a killer and is not powerful enough to do it, allowing Sprite to sneak up behind her and stab her with a dagger. Sprite explains that she has always envied Sersi for being able to live with humans while she couldn't because of her childlike appearance. Sprite wanted to experience growing up, falling in love, and having a family, but living with humans constantly reminded her she never could, and thus grew to hate it. Wanting a fresh start on another world, she wanted the Emergence to happen, and conjured up numerous more volcanoes in an attempt to confuse Sersi as to the location of the real one. However, Druig knocked her unconscious with a stone shortly afterward, dispelling the illusions.
Sprite regained consciousness in time to help Sersi with the Uni-Mind, although it isn't known if she had any choice in the matter as all Eternals on-site (and even Tiamut himself) joined the procedure. After Tiamut's demise, Sprite grudgingly walked down to the beach with Druig to meet up with the other remaining Eternals. She mourned Ikaris' loss, because this time he flew up to the sun for real after the Uni-Mind. Sersi told her she still had leftover energy from the link, enough to turn Sprite human. Sprite took Sersi up on her offer by touching her hand, aware that she won't be immortal anymore.
Two weeks after the failed Emergence, Sprite began attending school, which Kingo thought would be a good way for her to pick up some social skills, causing her to glare at him in return. Sersi bade her farewell as Karun and Kingo drove her off to her new life.
At a first glance, Sprite comes off as distant, apathetic, cynical, sarcastic, brash, and slightly misanthropic, but behind her prickly exterior she hides a world-weary sadness because of how society has treated her due to her childlike appearance which did nothing to betray or even expose her long-lived existence. Despite her dissatisfaction with humanity, she found herself longing for the experience of growing up and falling in love. She is also somewhat antisocial, not interacting with many people outside of the Eternals since they were the only ones who took her seriously and treated her as an equal. Sprite has a love of storytelling, using her powers to inspire many myths and legends throughout history.
Sprite was motivated by her hidden love for Ikaris, and was even willing to turn on the group for him, fighting against them in an attempt to ensure the Emergence takes place, not sharing Ikaris' devotion to the Celestial plan, her devotion to him alone. After his death, she moved past him and wanted to live a human life, in order to experience real reciprocated love.
Powers and Abilities
- Eternal Physiology: By design from the Celestials, Sprite is an Eternal possessing superhuman strength, durability, speed, agility, stamina, reflexes, and healing, numerous times superior than any normal human being, as well as immortality and being able to manipulate cosmic energy to a certain degree. However, after Sersi transformed her into a human, Sprite no longer possesses her powers anymore.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all Eternals, Sprite possesses great superhuman strength, numerous times stronger than any normal human being.
- Superhuman Durability: Sprite's body is numerous times more resistant to physical and energy damage than any normal human being. Sprite was able to withstand a hit over the head with a large rock by Druig with considerable force, and while it was enough to render her unconscious, she suffered almost no repercussions and had no visible injuries from it. Further to this, during the emergence, Sprite followed Sersi into the scorched earth surrounding the volcano. The immense heat generated by the lava appeared to have no effect on her.
- Superhuman Speed: Sprite can run and move at great superhuman speed, much faster than any normal human being.
- Superhuman Agility: Sprite naturally possesses far greater agility, equilibrium, flexibility, dexterity, balance, and body coordination than any normal human being. During the attack in London, Sprite was able to scale a large wall with minimal effort, jumping a great height to climb the bridge. During the attack in the Amazon forest, Sprite has shown to be considerably agile during her battle against a Deviant. In an attempt to assist Kingo in fighting a Deviant, she leaps through the air towards the Deviant, successfully stabbing it in the neck and holding on to it while Kingo was charging his cosmic energy blasts.
- Superhuman Stamina: Sprite's advanced musculature is considerably more efficient than any normal human being. As a result, her muscles virtually do not produce fatigue toxins during physical activity. Her endurance allows her to exercise her maximum capacity for an extremely long period of time without tiring at all.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Sprite can react and dodge objects traveling at high speeds, much quicker than any normal human being.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Sprite's metabolism enables her to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissue with far greater speed and efficiency than any normal human being.
- Immortality: As an Eternal, Sprite is genetically able to live forever, without dying due to old age or illnesses. In her case, this permanently arrested her into the likeness of a teenager which made the perpetuity of her own existence even more apparent compared to her fellow Eternals, potentially exposing her true nature to anyone who would observe her long enough.
- Cosmic Energy Manipulation: By design of the Celestials, all Eternals are genetically capable of using cosmic energy. Each Eternal possesses a unique ability, all derived from the same cosmic power source. The Eternals can also harness their comic powers together to create the uni-mind, which amplifies their powers. In her specific case, Sprite is able to use her cosmic energy to cast lifelike illusions; but though convincing and virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, Sprite's projected illusions are clearly limited to the sound and visual-based, making it possible for means other than sight and hearing to discern through these insubstantial artifices born from the source-Eternal's imagination.
- Illusion Manipulation: Sprite has the ability to cast lifelike illusions.
- Duplication Casting: As part of her illusions, Sprite can create identical duplicates of herself and selectively others around her.
- Presence Concealment: Sprite could use her abilities to turn herself, and selectively those around her, invisible.
- Shapeshifting: Sprite can shapeshift through illusions, appearing as an adult at Dane Whitman's birthday party.
- Sound Manipulation: Sprite can induce aligning "sound effects" to her generated illusions to render them audible; she, on occasion, implements this to disguise her own voice when talking to strangers.
- Uni-Mind Energy Manipulation: To be added
- Levitation: To be added
- Genius-Level Intellect: To be added
- Expert Combatant: To be added
- Knife Proficiency: To be added
- Multilingualism: Having lived through all of recorded human history and being a storyteller by nature, Sprite was fluent in multiple languages: from the ancient tribal ones spoken 7,000 years ago, to Akkadian and Sumer, to modern Spanish and English.
- Dagger: Sprite used this knife to stab a Deviant in the head during the Ambush at Druig's Compound, then stabbed Sersi through the abdomen with it during the Prevention of Tiamut's Emergence. It was then transmuted to water by Sersi shortly afterward.
- Celestial Armor: Sprite donned a blue armor, equipped on her by the Domo. The armor was durable enough to withstand multiple blows during the fight with the Deviants.
- Domo: Sprite arrived on Earth aboard this starship with her brethren, and continued using it as a base of operations until it was buried beneath Babylon. She resumed using it in 2023 with the reunification of the scattered Eternals.
- Kingo's Jet: Sprite traveled to Australia and the Amazon aboard Kingo's private plane prior to the Domo's rediscovery.
- Ajak's Homestead: Sprite lived here for a time with Ajak prior to reconnecting with Sersi in London.
- In the comics, Sprite is a member of the Eternals. Unlike the more stoic and noble members of the Eternals, Sprite is considered a trickster, often taunting his fellow Eternals with his illusions.
- Sprite is the twelfth character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to be depicted as a different gender from their counterpart in the comics, following Jeri Hogarth, the Ancient One, Fenris, Ghost, Mar-Vell, Morgan Stark, Gabriella Rosetti, Flag Smasher, Taskmaster, Ajak, and Makkari.
- However, during the wide rebirth of all the Eternals, Sprite was reborn as a female. According to Ikaris, Eternals commonly take advantage of the rebirth process to change appearance and biological sex every 20,000-25,000 years.
- The first Eternals trailer depicted Sprite drunkenly singing karaoke aboard Kingo's jet. The scene is not in the theatrical version of the film.