After the ghost Lucy Bauer infected Melinda May and nearly killed her and S.H.I.E.L.D. encountered an unusual individual known as the Ghost Rider, Phil Coulson decided to investigate the matter. By sending Robbie Reyes talk with his uncle Eli Morrow who was imprisoned at the South Ridge Penitentiary, S.H.I.E.L.D. learned that Bauer's existence was due to an infamous book known as the Darkhold. They went to interrogate Joseph Bauer, Lucy's husband who had just got out of coma. Before dying, Joseph Bauer informed Coulson and Alphonso Mackenzie had already reclaimed the Book of Spells. They decided to enlist Morrow's help by getting him out of prison.
Unbeknownst to them, however, Lucy could not read the Darkhold and needed someone alive to do it in her place and help her getting read of her ghostly condition. She targeted Morrow as he was the one responsible for her suffering.
- "If I release the door, all the doors in cellblock A open. The security wings, the exterior exits."
- ―Leo Fitz
Phil Coulson and Melinda May went to South Ridge Penitentiary and met with Warden Green to settle the details for taking Eli Morrow out of jail. However, Lucy Bauer and her team of ghosts had been ahead of them and infected all the prison's staff, rendering them crazy and making them see demons everywhere. Green assaulted Coulson and May with a shotgun. They managed to knock him out, but as more guards were coming, they retreated inside Green's office, alerting Alphonso Mackenzie of the situation and waiting for reinforcements.
After Leo Fitz provided them with antidotes to the ghostly infection, Mackenzie led a team to the penitentiary. Mackenzie and the Ghost Rider went through the cellblocks to find Morrow. On the way, Reyes recognized Santino Noguera, a member of the Fifth Street Locos, which happened to be the gang responsible for the accident crippling Gabe Reyes and turning him into the Ghost Rider. However, Mackenzie prevented Reyes from assaulting the thug and they went further into the penitentiary where they encountered two ghosts: Reyes destroyed Vincent and Hugo infected Mackenzie before being burnt down as well. After injecting himself with the antidote, Mackenzie resumed the search and they eventually found Morrow.
Meanwhile, Quake rescued Coulson and May before heading to Morrow as well. However, their progression was stopped when Bauer unlocked the cells' doors. The prisoners got out and began to chase the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, initiating a riot within the prison. They tried to escape, but upon seeing that they would be overrun, Quake decided to remain behind in the cafeteria and to fight the prisoners, who also happened to be recruits for the Watchdogs, forcing Coulson and May to leave her. However, they refused to do so and Fitz managed to give them an itinerary so that they could rescue Quake who was being choked to death after defeating many prisoners.
Mackenzie and Reyes took Morrow out of his cell and warned him about Bauer. Morrow agreed to follow them and they made their way out of the penitentiary. While Mackenzie helped some lucid guards to escape as well, he tasked Reyes with escorting Morrow outside. However, upon passing in front of Noguera's cell once again, Reyes told his uncle to go outside alone. Once he was out of sight, Reyes took his demonic form and incinerated Noguera, frightening the other prisoners. Unfortunately, Morrow was left without protection and was kidnapped by Bauer. The S.H.I.E.L.D. team eventually made it out of the prison but realized that Morrow was missing.
Beside having lost Eli Morrow, S.H.I.E.L.D. would soon have to deal with another issue as the murder of Santino Noguera had been captured on security video feed. Senator Ellen Nadeer accessed those feeds, which also showed that Ghost Rider was associated with S.H.I.E.L.D. Therefore, she blackmailed Director Jeffrey Mace, threatening to go public with the images and forcing him to send Jemma Simmons investigate the Terrigenesis of her brother Vijay Nadeer.
Having kidnapped Morrow, Lucy Bauer brought him to the Roxxon Power Plant to have him read the Darkhold and help her getting rid of her ghostly condition. However, Morrow would take advantage of having access to the Darkhold to gain superhuman powers.
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.07: Deals With Our Devils
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.11: Wake Up
- ↑ Explanation for its placement
- ↑ Due to Hope Mackenzie's April 18th birthday and on-screen time-spans (see other references), The Laws of Inferno Dynamics is definitively placed on April 12, 2017. The concluding events of Deals With Our Devils could occur anywhere between the day before, up to about a week before. In Lockup, there are jokes about it being "Taco Tuesday," and it is said in The Good Samaritan that this was yesterday, putting the events of that episode and Deals With Our Devils on a Wednesday. April 12th was a Wednesday, so the earliest Wednesday before that is April 5th, putting the events of Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire to Deals With Our Devils from April 3-5, 2017, being the Riot on April 4th.
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.03: Uprising
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.04: Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.05: Lockup
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.06: The Good Samaritan