Shuri is the Princess of Wakanda, daughter of T'Chaka and Ramonda, sister of T'Challa, and the leader of the Wakandan Design Group. An innovator responsible for creating much of Wakanda's modern technology, she is also known for designing the current generation Panther Habits. After her brother's coronation, Shuri assisted him and the Dora Milaje in tracking down Ulysses Klaue, only to be forced to flee the Golden City as Erik Killmonger overthrew the throne, eventually returning to reclaim Wakanda. Shortly after, Shuri succeeds in eliminating the HYDRA programming from Bucky Barnes' mind.
Two years later, she was tasked by her brother and the Avengers in removing the Mind Stone from Vision's head to have Wanda Maximoff destroy it, as the android was under threat from Thanos. She was soon compromised by Corvus Glaive, who ambushed her lab and quickly defeated Shuri. Shortly after, she was among the many who died when Thanos completed the Infinity Gauntlet and wiped out half of all life in the universe. She was resurrected by Hulk in 2023, upon which she participated in the Battle of Earth.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 T'Challa's Rule
- 1.2 Sharing Resources
- 1.3 Helping the Winter Soldier
- 1.4 Infinity War
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Shuri's Designs
- 6 Facilities
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Appearances
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Behind the Scenes
- 11 References
- 12 External Links
Shuri was born to King T'Chaka and his wife, Queen Ramonda, members of the Golden Tribe of Wakanda. Due to her genius-level intellect and incredible engineering skills, Shuri led the Wakandan Design Group, creating much of Wakanda's modern technology, like Wakandan Maglev Train.
Along with Ramonda, Shuri greeted T'Challa when he returned to Wakanda from a mission to bring Nakia back to Wakanda as well. Shuri asked Okoye whether T'Challa had frozen when he encountered Nakia and laughed when Okoye confirmed. She then told T'Challa that she wanted to improve his EMP Beads, although he insisted that they were fully functional. Shuri then left T'Challa with Ramonda, not without a last obscene gesture towards her brother when he mocked her about her ceremony clothes, which was swiftly reprimanded by her mother.
Shuri then joined the ceremony for the Incoronation of T'Challa, dancing with her mother on the Golden Tribe boat. They arrived on the Warrior Falls for the ceremony and Shuri watched as Zuri prepared to make T'Challa the new King of Wakanda. When Zuri asked whether a member of the royal family wished to challenge for the throne, Shuri jokingly raised her hand, amused by the audience's confusion until she announced that she only wanted to be over with the ceremony so that she could change out of her uncomfortable clothes.
However, the ceremony was disturbed by the arrival of the Jabari Tribe, as M'Baku wanted to challenge T'Challa. Shuri attended the duel between T'Challa and M'Baku, strongly encouraging her brother as he had some trouble defeating his opponent. Eventually, T'Challa triumphed over M'Baku, causing Shuri to cheer with the rest of the public.
Mission in Busan
Shortly before T'Challa went to South Korea with Okoye and Nakia to arrest the criminal Ulysses Klaue, Shuri brought him to her lab to showcase new equipment she had developed for him, including sound-nullififying boots She also told him to bring the Remote Access Kimoyo Beads so that she could assist in the capture of Klaue, as she could provide backup for the mission if required and notified she already sent a car to Busan.
Shuri proceeded to demonstrate the new upgraded version of Panther Habit which were even more reliable than his original design. She further explained that the upgraded versions are made of nanotechnology and can be fit in a necklace. Shuri then asked her brother to kick the suit which he proceeded to do so. After placing it back she explained to him that the suit can absorb kinetic energy and redistribute it. Shuri asked him to strike the suit in the same spot and readied her camera, innocently claiming it is for research. As T'Challa kicked it he was knocked out by an impact of kinetic energy a scene which Shuri enjoyed. Shuri was then immediately ordered to delete the video by an embarrassed T'Challa.
Shuri was indeed called for assistance by T'Challa, much to her enthusiasm, as Klaue attempted to escape from the Wakandans. Using the Remote Access Kimoyo Beads, Shuri remotely drove a car which Black Panther stood on to chase Klaue in the streets of Busan. Shuri warned her brother that they would hit other cars, but Black Panther managed to redirect the car, enabling Shuri to keep driving.
Together, Black Panther and Shuri managed to take down several of Klaue's bodyguards, with Shuri even driving over one even if she was not fully aware of what went under her car. As they caught up on another of Klaue's bodyguard's SUV, Shuri told T'Challa to use the kinetic energy stored in his Panther Habit to damage their car and mocked him for showing off when he successfully did it.
Shuri eventually found Klaue's car and chased him but Klaue used the cannon on his prosthetic arm, which destroyed the Shuri's car. As a result, the hologram Shuri used in her lab was ended, keeping her from further assisting T'Challa, who nonetheless apprehended Klaue.
Healing Everett Ross
Shuri welcomed T'Challa, Nakia and Okoye in her lab when they returned to Wakanda. As they had taken with them a heavily wounded Everett Ross, Shuri expressed her enthusiasm at the idea of helping another American, due to the fact that she had already been asked to look after Bucky Barnes. Shuri assured her partners that Ross would survive and proceeded on the surgery. Thanks to the Vibranium technology, she successfully healed Ross.
While waiting for Ross to regain consciousness, Shuri worked on her Vibranium Gauntlets. She was scared when Ross, who had woken up, asked her where they were, to which Shuri jokingly replied that they were in Kansas. Shuri then explained that she had healed Ross overnight and instructed him to wait for T'Challa's return. While waiting for him, Shuri revealed to Ross that Wakanda heavily relied on Vibranium technology, which she had used to heal him.
Shuri was then called by Okoye, who looked for T'Challa. Shuri answered that she did not know where her brother was. She was then informed about the arrival of an unidentified Wakandan who claimed to have killed Ulysses Klaue and was on his way to the Citadel.
Erik Killmonger's Campaign
Shuri received a picture of the stranger, who Everett Ross claimed was not Wakandan, but instead an American operative. Knowing that something was not right, Shuri managed to contact T'Challa and instructed him to come back to the lab. As T'Challa and Nakia joined, Shuri listened to Ross' explanations about Erik Killmonger and told his brother that although Killmonger had a War Dogs tattoo, he did not appear in the Wakandan files.
Shuri joined the throne room where Killmonger was taken. As Killmonger repeatedly asked T'Challa to ask him his name and T'Challa refused, Shuri claimed that Killmonger was nothing more than an American mercenary. However, Killmonger replied that this was not his true name and, when asked by the River Tribe Elder, he disclosed his real identity: N'Jadaka, son of late Prince N'Jobu. Killmonger then called for a ritual duel against T'Challa to claim the throne of Wakanda.
Shuri went to the Warrior Falls to attend the duel, remaining confident that T'Challa would prevail. However, she watched in anguish as Killmonger slowly gained the upper hand over T'Challa while Shuri tried to encourage her brother. In the end, Killmonger defeated T'Challa and murdered Zuri, who intervened in the fight, before throwing T'Challa down the waterfall as Shuri and her mother Ramonda screamed in horror. In order to ensure their safety, Nakia took Shuri and Ramonda with her so they could escape.
Shuri waited for Nakia's return with her mother. Nakia eventually came back with Ross but without Okoye, who had refused to accompany them. Together, Shuri, Nakia, Ramonda, and Ross decided to journey to Jabari Land, where they intended to give the last Heart-Shaped Herb to M'Baku. On the way, they were captured by Jabari Tribe who took them in front of M'Baku. When M'Baku noticed that T'Challa had been seemingly killed in ritual combat, Shuri told him not to deepen their pain, but he ordered her to remain silent.
As Nakia offered the Heart-Shaped Herb to M'Baku, he told Shuri and the others to follow him and took them to see an unconscious T'Challa, who had been saved by a Jabari fisherman and covered in snow to prevent him from dying. Shuri suggested to bring T'Challa back to her lab, but M'Baku advised her against it as T'Challa would die in seconds. Thus, under Ramonda's guidance, Shuri and Nakia performed a ritual using the Heart-Shaped Herb to successfully revive T'Challa.
Shuri and the others went back to the Jabari throne room. Shuri figured out that Killmonger would seize all of her designs and share Vibranium weapons with the rest of the world, which they could not allow. Although T'Challa suggested having Shuri and Ramonda leave Wakanda for their safety, they insisted on staying. Shuri then revealed she had kept the necklace with T'Challa's Panther Habit and gave it to his brother, claiming that she would fight alongside the Black Panther. Shuri then left T'Challa as he wanted to speak privately with M'Baku and prepared her to return to the Golden City.
Shuri, Nakia and Everett Ross sneaked in Shuri's Lab while T'Challa confronted Erik Killmonger on Mount Bashenga. There, Shuri reclaimed her Vibranium Gauntlets and told Nakia to wear a Dora Milaje armor. She also gave Remote Access Kimoyo Beads to Ross, instructing him to remain in the lab and be ready to fly the Royal Talon Fighter to destroy the weapons cargos sent by Killmonger. Shuri then left the lab with Nakia to join the battle.
Shuri and Nakia arrived on top of Mount Bashenga. They knocked over two Wakandan Royal Guards who were guarding the Royal Talon Fighter and successfully gave Ross remote access to it, enabling him to fly it away. They then watched as several members of the Dora Milaje, including Okoye, were defeated by Killmonger. Shuri and Nakia attacked him, and thanks to their combined efforts, they were able to briefly subdue him.
Despite that, Killmonger proved to be too much of a challenge for them. He damaged Shuri's gauntlets, rendering them useless, and pinned down Shuri on the ground. Expecting to be killed, Shuri told Killmonger that he would never be a true King. However, Shuri was rescued by T'Challa, who threw himself and Killmonger down into the Great Mound. When they landed, T'Challa ordered Shuri to activate the Wakandan Maglev Train so the sonic stabilizers would disable Killmonger's Panther Habit, although Shuri warned him that this would affect T'Challa's suit the same way.
Armed with a Sonic Spear, Shuri then rushed to a slightly wounded Nakia and they joined the battlefield, where the Dora Milaje fought against the Border Tribe. Shuri, Nakia, Okoye and Ayo were cornered by their opponents, only to be rescued by the unexpected arrival of the Jabari Tribe, who broke the Border Tribe's formation. Shuri resumed the fight against the Border Tribe, who eventually surrendered. Meanwhile, T'Challa defeated Killmonger, enabling Shuri to safely remain in the Golden City.
Construction in Oakland
Shuri was taken by her brother T'Challa to Oakland. She asked him why they were here, expressing disappointment over this first view of California, and T'Challa told Shuri that they were in the place where their uncle N'Jobu, Erik Killmonger's father, had been killed by their own father T'Chaka. As Shuri expressed relief at the idea that the building where the murder had been perpetrated would be torn down, T'Challa replied that he had bought it and that he would make it the first Wakandan International Outreach Centre, appointing Shuri the head of the science and information exchange.
As Shuri asked her brother whether he was kidding, he brought the Royal Talon Fighter and disabled its cloaking, enabling children playing nearby to see it. Shuri approached the children who admired the ship, introduced herself and began her work of sharing innovative technology with the rest of the world.
Helping the Winter Soldier
When T'Challa brought Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes to Wakanda, he entrusted Barnes to Shuri so she could remove the HYDRA's programming from Barnes' mind. At the lab, Shuri explained to T'Challa and Rogers that she was using the most sophisticated bio-scanners in Wakanda to create a digital representation of Barnes' mind, in which the process would be tested to avoid damaging it while attempting to remove his brainwashing.
Months later, Shuri brought T'Challa to give his brother an update on Barnes. Shuri explained to T'Challa that, since Barnes programming was mostly connected to trigger words, she would use an algorithm that would 'reset' Barnes so HYDRA's programming could be destroyed without removing his memories. Shuri then revealed that her algorithm could be used to improve the Wakandan's technology through artificial intelligence in a more effective way than Ultron.
Extracting the Mind Stone
When Wakanda was warned of the impending invasion of Thanos' army to retrieve the Mind Stone from Vision (and by consequence, deliver it to Thanos), the Avengers brought the android to Wakanda to try and save his life. Bruce Banner believed that Vision was more than just the Mind Stone, and if the Stone was to be removed carefully, it could be possible for Vision to survive without it and for Wanda Maximoff to destroy it. Banner knew he was unable to do the work, but Steve Rogers suggested Shuri was up to the task.
With the Avengers and the Wakandan military buying time fending off Thanos' army, Shuri attempted to disconnect the Mind Stone from Vision under the protection of Ayo and Scarlet Witch. During the battle, Maximoff left to join the fray. With her absence, Corvus Glaive attacked. While Ayo briefly held him off, Shuri managed to shut down her work and enable Vision to be active again. Firing her gauntlets at Glaive, Shuri was nonetheless quickly incapacitated and was unable to complete her work.
After the failed attempt to extract the Mind Stone from Vision, Thanos arrived and the Battle of Wakanda took place. While the Avengers and the Wakandans were able to defeat the Black Order, Thanos was ultimately successful in killing Vision and taking the Mind Stone. Escaping defeat, Thanos snapped his fingers with the Infinity Gauntlet and wiped out half the life in the universe. As with her brother, Shuri was among those who disintegrated into nothingness.
Five years later, the Avengers were successful in collecting all the Infinity Stones, bringing Shuri, as well as everyone else who had died from the Snap back to life. They were all then recruited by the Masters of the Mystic Arts to help fight in the ongoing battle against Thanos at the New Avengers Facility, so Shuri stood alongside Black Panther and Okoye as they arrived through a portal with the rest of their people.
Shuri then stood alongside the epic line of assembled heroes, as Captain America led the charge against the opposing army. As the battle proceeded, Shuri fought against several of Thanos' forces alongside the Wakandan with great skill. When the Nano Gauntlet was required to get to the Quantum Tunnel in Luis' Van, Shuri assisted Captain Marvel in fighting off the fast approaching horde.
As the group of heroes cleared the way for Captain Marvel, Thanos attempted to stop her and started to charge at her. However, Shuri, Rescue and Wasp launched a coordinated blast at Thanos, knocking him away, allowing Captain Marvel to make her way to the van. Unfortunately, Thanos was able to destroy the van with his Double-Edged Sword. The battle was ultimately concluded when Iron Man obtained the Infinity Stones and wiped out Thanos and his army.
However, this action cost Iron Man his life due to the power of the Infinity Stones. Following Hawkeye, all the heroes showed their respect for the fallen hero and kneeled before him. Later, all the heroes gathered again at the Stark Eco-Compound to attend his funeral. Shuri stood with T'Challa and Okoye as they honored Stark, despite not knowing him before the previous battle. Shuri and her brother returned to Wakanda to reunite with their mother.
- "Just because something works doesn't mean it cannot be improved."
Shuri is a technological genius at heart, making good use of the abundance of the rare metal Vibranium to help advance her home country. She is always willing to continue innovations for whatever she invents, believing there's no end to a device's improvement. The Wakandan princess gets very excited to have her latest creation used by herself, her brother, etc. to see how effective it is.
Like many younger siblings, Shuri has a very childlike demeanor, always teasing T'Challa and never having many regards to formality. But she loves her family a lot and does become very concerned for her brother's safety. Not to mention that she has faith in her brother in becoming a great king and the next Black Panther, always willing to stand by his side.
Shuri is a big fan of American culture, with a lot of her inventions hinted to be directly inspired by movies that she would watch with her father. She often dresses in American style clothing as well, such as brand t-shirts, jeans, and shorts in high contrast to the traditional or high-class clothes of other Wakandans. Shuri also disliked traditional ceremonial clothing, once complaining about the corset she had to wear during T'Challa's crowning ceremony. She also appears to be very interested in social media, recording instances of her pranks on T'Challa and quoting internet memes at him.
She can also be sarcastic at times and doesn't suffer fools. When Everett Ross asked Shuri what to do with the Wakandan planes he found, she responded impatiently, since she was fighting off Killmonger at the time, telling him "Shoot them down, genius!".
- Genius-Level Intellect: Shuri is extraordinarily intelligent despite her young age. Indeed, her intelligence marks her as one of the smartest humans in the world, which allows her to be in charge of the Wakandan Design Group and create some of the most recent Wakandan advanced technology.
- Master Engineer: Shuri is an exceptionally accomplished and ingeniously prolific engineer, as she developed and has overseen Wakanda's technology, including weaponry, defenses, communications, transportation, her own energy blast gauntlets, her brother T'Challa's new Panther Habit and Bucky Barnes' Vibranium arm. Her usage of advanced technology integrating nanotechnology in the Panther habit preceded the genius Tony Stark's fiftieth armor.
- Master Scientist: Shuri is an exceptional scientist, being the leader of the science division of Wakanda, and having expertise in fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, medicine and computer programming. Some of her most impressive features were saving Everett Ross from an injury that would have rendered him paraplejic in a matter of hours, being able to remove Bucky Barnes' programming, or come up with a method to remove the Mind Stone harmlessly from Vision superior to that of the renowned scientist Bruce Banner.
- Bilingualism: Shuri is fluent in her native language, Xhosa as well as English.
- Combatant: Although not a Wakanda Warrior and the leader of the Wakandan Design Group and rarely fighting in the front-lines, Shuri is nevertheless an excellent fighter on her own right, displaying great proficiency with a Wakandan Spear, able to defeat many Border Tribe members with ease, surviving the Battle of Mount Bashenga with no injury. She also managed to briefly fight against Erik Killmonger for a time but was swiftly defeated.
- Vibranium Gauntlets: These gauntlets shoot blasts of sonic energy powerful enough to subdue Killmonger in the Golden Jaguar Habit. They are also able to send grown men flying several feet.
- Sonic Spear: Shuri goes into battle against Killmonger's forces and gains one of these weapons, which Killmonger states are powerful enough to stop a tank.
- Kimoyo Beads: Shuri is able to communicate with people and remote Wakandan technology using these beads, including control of the vast Vibranium mines.
- Remote Access Kimoyo Beads: Shuri uses this equipment to drive and pilot various vehicles from her lab in Wakanda. These disks also possess an array of advanced technological capabilities.
- Panther Habit: Upgraded by Shuri, the Panther Habit is now one of Wakanda's more advanced products, housing an advanced array of sophisticated technology to greatly enhance T'Challa's capabilities as the Black Panther. The most prominent feature of the upgraded Habit is its ability to redistribute stored energy. It can receive energy from any incoming source, such as bullets being fired at T'Challa or attacks from enemies.
- Griot: Griot is an artificial intelligence created by Shuri, using it such as to guide Everett Ross to pursue three jets that Erik Killmonger had ordered an attack on New York City, London, and Hong Kong.
- Sneakers: Shuri created sneakers that are sound adsorbent and are incorporated into the Panther Habit with the use of Wakandan nanotechnology.
- Remote Access Kimoyo Beads: The Remote Access Beads can transmit control to the console in Shuri's Lab, allowing a user to remotely pilot any vehicle they're placed on, even from large distances.
- Vibranium Gauntlets: Due to the connection between Wakanda and the panther goddess Bast, Shuri designed the gauntlets so they would have the shape of a panther. The Vibranium Gauntlets can fire single energy shots that are powerful enough to throw grown men in the air and force a wearer of a Panther Habit to step back when hit.
- Shuri's Lab: Shuri personally designed her laboratory beneath Mount Bashenga, close to Wakandan Vibranium mine. Together with the Wakandan Design Group, Shuri worked in her lab on new designs based on Vibranium. Before the battle with Erik Killmonger's forces, Shuri left Everett Ross in the lab to take control over the Royal Talon Fighter and destroy Vibranium weapons. As he completed his task, Ross managed to escape while the lab was destroyed by the Dragon Flyer.
|Appearances for Shuri|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Shuri assumed the mantle of Black Panther from her half-brother T'Challa after he was temporarily left in a comatose state.
- Director Ryan Coogler stated that Shuri's science skills are on par with those of world-renowned geniuses' like Tony Stark.
- Producer Nate Moore stated that Shuri is "...the smartest person in the world, smarter than Tony Stark but she’s a sixteen-year-old girl..."
- While Moore claims Shuri is 16 in Black Panther, Black Panther: The Junior Novel and Letitia Wright both state that Shuri is 18 during the film.
- Although Shuri was shown wearing her battle dress in promotional pictures and posters for Avengers: Infinity War, in the film she never wears it.
Behind the Scenes
- Crystal Michelle was a stunt double for Letitia Wright in the role of Shuri.
- Letitia Wright describes Shuri as "an innovative spirit and an innovative mind" who "wants to take Wakanda to a new place... [and] has a great fashion sense". Wright also felt Shuri was "vibrant" and "refreshing", and was a good role model for young black girls.
- Black Panther: The Junior Novel
- Black Panther
- Avengers: Infinity War Prelude
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Avengers: Endgame
- Translates from Xhosa to: "Hold strong!"
- Avengers: Endgame Deleted Scene
- Black Panther trailer decoded: Secrets of the new Marvel movie
- Letitia Wright on Press Reader
- Interview Magazine on Shuri