The Shotgun-Axe is a weapon crafted by Alphonso Mackenzie to be used as both a firearm and a melee weapon. Mackenzie completed it in time to fight Hive's Primitives on the Zephyr One, which is capable of firing normal and I.C.E.R. shells.
- "I need a bigger gun, I guess. Or my axe. Or maybe a shotgun-axe combination of some sort."
- ―Alphonso Mackenzie
Fighting the Watchdogs
- "Really got to commit to that shotgun-axe idea."
- ―Alphonso Mackenzie
The Watchdogs, believing that Mack was the one who had used powers, followed him and Ruben back to the Mackenzie home. After burning their motorcycles, the Watchdogs proceeded to break into the Mackenzie home and block off the exits. Mack grabbed their father's old shotgun and they proceeded to take out the Watchdogs inside the home. Eventually, the brothers reached the kitchen, and Mack found a butcher knife which he strapped onto the barrel of the shotgun, deeming it the first version of the Shotgun-Axe.
A True Shotgun-Axe
- "Well, I'd like to be in a fight. Built this damn thing for a reason."
- ―Alphonso Mackenzie
During his subsequent time at the Playground, Alphonso Mackenzie designed and finally crafted his Shotgun-Axe using a tactical shotgun and a custom axe blade. He finally found the opportunity to use it after Hive tried to turn all Humans into Primitives by using a specialized warhead inside Zephyr One. The team managed to get inside Zephyr One and Mackenzie, using the Shotgun-Axe, fought the Primitives in the plane.
During an investigation to track down the origin of a mysterious box and its contents, Alphonso Mackenzie equipped himself with his shotgun as his primary weapon. Alongside Leo Fitz, Mackenzie infiltrated a decommissioned research facility and entered a reactor room. Once inside, the pair were confronted by an intangible individual, and Mackenzie swung the axe blade at him. He continued to fire the shotgun at the disappearing man before he was trapped inside of a reactor.
Mackenzie and Phil Coulson detected Hellfire in a firework warehouse. Mackenzie bought his shotgun to the place, however he had to used it, against Watchdogs soldiers who worked with Hellfire. Coulson said that it was no smart to shot inside of firework warehouse.
Mackenzie geared himself with his Shotgun-Axe with I.C.E.R. bullets before coming to South Ridge Penitentiary prison to get Eli Morrow. As he was with Ghost Rider, the ghost Vincent appeared, so Mackenzie shot him but with no harm. After he was killed by Ghost Rider, Hugo appeared and passed through Mackenzie, therefore infecting him. Mackenzie tried to hit him with the Shotgun-Axe, but he missed all of them. So he threw it to Hugo, only to fall to the ground. After Mackenzie was cured, he used the Shotgun-Axe to open the door to save two staff members.
During the Battle at the Chinatown Crew Headquarters, Mackenzie plugged his Shotgun-Axe on the chest of a Chinatown Crew member. Yo-Yo Rodriguez, while in superspeed, extracted the blade and moved Mackenzie's hand so the Shotgun-Axe would be pointed at another criminal. Mackenzie, to his surprise, hit the criminal.
Mackenzie walked with his Shotgun-Axe as Aida invaded the Playground. As he and Rodriguez entered the hangar, a Quinjet suddenly flew by itself and started shooting at the two. When the shooting stopped, Mackenzie fired at the Quinjet multiple times only to take cover again. Later, Mackenzie cut off Aida's head from behind.
Mackenzie brought his Shotgun-Axe to Nome and Burkov Mining Facility as he searched for Jeffrey Mace. He later used it in a Russian facility to open a locked door and to kill several men who were about to kill Mace. After Mackenzie was replaced with a Life-Model Decoy, Mackenzie LMD took the Shotgun-Axe with him.
At the Playground, Mackenzie's LMD took with him the Shotgun-Axe and searched for Daisy Johnson. He arrived inside the Containment Module room where the Daisy Johnson LMDs where being kept. Believing Johnson had hidden herself among the identical robots, Mackenzie aimed his Shotgun-Axe and began looking for clue for the real Johnson's identity. Eventually Mackenzie aimed the gun at one LMD only for Johnson to appear behind him and knock him back with a powerful shockwave before taking the Shotgun-Axe and quickly escaping. Johnson later encountered Jeffrey Mace LMD and shot at him multiple times with the Shotgun-Axe, all of which he was unharmed by. She then attempted to strike him with the axe blade, only for the Mace LMD to catch it midair, disarming and knocking her down.
Before Leo Fitz was being frozen for decades, he hid behind one of the walls in the Lighthouse a box which contained the Shotgun-Axe, so when he would return to the place after his long-time sleep, it could be useful.
Mackenzie used the Shotgun-Axe against the Remorath who invaded the Lighthouse, but it had insignificant effect on them. Once the team regrouped, Mackenzie allowed Phil Coulson to use the Shotgun-Axe in the fight. Mackenzie patrolled in the Lighthouse to search for living Remorath, he encountered one of them who was powered by Odium. The Shotgun-Axe shots had no effect on him, but Mackenzie managed to knock him out with its blade. Mackenzie also took his Shotgun-Axe in prevision for the Battle of Chicago.
Taken into the Future
Seventy-four years later, it was eventually reclaimed by Alphonso Mackenzie to fight the Vrellnexians that had been unleashed by the Kree in the Lighthouse, and later against members of the Kree Watch during the Uprising in the Lighthouse.
Following the death of the future version of Yo-Yo Rodriguez, Mackenzie fought Kasius, who enhanced himself with Odium. Mackenzie shot two Kree with the Shotgun-Axe, but the shot for Kasius did not affect him. Only when Jemma Simmons came and distracted Kasius, Mackenzie used the Axe blade to stab him behind his back through his chest, killing Kasius for good.
The Shotgun-Axe is a shotgun combined with an axe. The improvised model was a Remington 870 with a cleaver duct-taped to the barrel. Mackenzie used this to systematically eliminate a squad of Watchdogs invading his home, using birdshot ammunition.
The first official model was a Mossberg 500 Cruiser, which used ammunition strong enough to harm the Primitives. The blade is sharp enough to decapitate a Life-Model Decoy, such as Aida, as well as to pierce the skin of an Odium-augmented Kree, seen when Mackenzie impaled Kasius through the back. Mackenzie accomplished this by folding the blade of the shotgun forward, instead of its standard inward position.
Deke Shaw's model has a chromed out blade with almost zero recoil.
- Contemporary with the true Shotgun-Axe's first appearance, the Solid Slug Shotgun became available in the browser-based game Marvel: Avengers Alliance, although it was ostensibly patterned after the vampire-hunting arsenal of Blade. It was a Hallowed weapon, especially effective against supernatural monsters, and was one of the only Gun-type weapons in the game with both a melee and a ranged attack.
|Appearances for Shotgun-Axe|
In chronological order:
In an alternate timeline:
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 3.01: Laws of Nature
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 3.14: Watchdogs
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 3.22: Ascension
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.02: Meet the New Boss
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.03: Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.05: Lockup
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.07: Deals With Our Devils
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.08: The Laws of Inferno Dynamics
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.09: Broken Promises
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.12: Hot Potato Soup
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.14: The Man Behind the Shield
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 4.15: Self Control
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.05: Rewind
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.13: Principia
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.19: Option Two
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.20: The One Who Will Save Us All
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.22: The End
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.08: The Last Day
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.09: Best Laid Plans
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.10: Past Life
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 7.07: The Totally Excellent Adventures of Mack and the D