|For other uses, see Agent 13 (disambiguation)|
- "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage at a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, "Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say, 'No, you move'"."
- ―Sharon Carter[src]
Sharon Carter is the great-niece of legendary S.H.I.E.L.D. founder and Director Peggy Carter. Following in her aunt's footsteps, Carter became an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., although she never revealed her relation, not wanting to be put under the pressure of living up to any expectations.
Under direct orders from Nick Fury, Carter was tasked with going undercover as a nurse, living next to Steve Rogers. When Fury was attacked, she blew her cover to Rogers. After HYDRA was revealed to have been operating within S.H.I.E.L.D., Carter chose to stay loyal to her organization, and fought during the Battle at the Triskelion, facing off against Brock Rumlow to protect millions of lives.
In the aftermath of the HYDRA Uprising, Carter left the disbanded S.H.I.E.L.D. and joined the CIA, before being stationed at the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. In 2016, her aunt passed away, and Carter gave Peggy's eulogy at the funeral, where she revealed her true identity to Rogers. When the Vienna International Centre was bombed, Carter returned to the JCTC after giving Rogers information on Bucky Barnes. When Barnes was arrested and brought into the JCTC, Helmut Zemo reactivated his mental programming, causing Carter to try and stop him, to no success. She later assisted Rogers in handing over his team's equipment, which would indirectly spark the devastating Avengers Civil War. Her involvement in helping Rogers would cause Carter to go on the run.
In 2018, when Thanos obtained all of the Infinity Stones, he snapped his fingers, wiping out half of all life across the universe. Carter was amongst the victims in this catastrophic event, suddenly turning to dust. Fortunately, five years later, after the Avengers stole the Infinity Stones, Bruce Banner successfully brought everyone who had died back to life, returning to where they had disappeared.
Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Proving her Value
The great-niece of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s co-founder and Director Peggy Carter, Sharon Carter would admire her aunt and form a close relationship with her. This would cause her to grow an interest in the agency, and follow Peggy's advice to join despite her mother's protests to the contrary. Peggy even bought Carter her first thigh holster. To ensure she would not be in her famed ancestor's shadow, Carter refused to disclose her surname while at S.H.I.E.L.D..
Nick Fury personally assigned Carter to monitor and protect Steve Rogers in his home apartment and was given the apartment opposite to his, acting as a nurse and going by the name "Kate". She would report back to Fury to ensure that Rogers was not a threat to S.H.I.E.L.D. and could be trusted. Over her tenure as his protector, Carter became well-acquainted with Rogers and would talk to him whenever they met, often flirting with Rogers in order to gain his trust. However, Carter never told her aunt of her assignment, as she didn't want Peggy to have any secrets from Rogers.
One day when Carter was doing her laundry, she ran into Rogers outside their respective apartments while talking with her aunt on the phone. After her call ended, the two neighbors began to chat, with Rogers offering to let Carter use his washing machine as opposed to the one in the basement. Following Natasha Romanoff's advice about getting a date, he also shyly asked if she wished to join him for a cup of coffee.
However, Carter politely declined Rogers' offer, excusing that her hospital scrubs had been exposed to germs. The two then started to flirt, with Rogers jokingly telling her he'll keep his distance due to her clothes being present in the infectious disease ward, but Carter suggestively responded that she hoped he wouldn't stay too far away. Carter then left to go continue with her laundry, telling Rogers that he had left his stereo on in his apartment.
However, when she overheard gunshots, she rushed back up to check on Rogers. She forced herself into the apartment, breaking down the door, pulled out her gun and called out to Rogers.
She then identified herself to the confused Rogers, informing him that she was a member of the S.H.I.E.L.D. special service tasked with protecting him. When Rogers asked who was the one that gave her those orders, she acknowledged Fury, who had been attacked by the Winter Soldier in Rogers' apartment. Carter then checked on Fury, reporting that he had been shot and called for an EMT, as Rogers pursued the shooter.
When Nick Fury was declared dead after surgery failed to save him, Carter met with Alexander Pierce inside the Triskelion, who then had questioned her about the incident and reassured her by saying that she had done everything she could have done to save the Director. As she exited Pierce's office, Carter passed Steve Rogers who was also on his way to meet with Pierce; as they passed Rogers nodded to her and called her neighbor without eye contact.
Manhunt on Steve Rogers
Later, Jasper Sitwell ordered all of the present S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, including Carter, to join the manhunt for Rogers after he escaped the Triskelion and taken out multiple STRIKE operatives. Carter spoke up and demanded to know why they were being ordered to hunt Rogers, which was answered when Pierce entered the room. He told them that Rogers had lied to them and was withholding information about Fury's murder. He then declared Rogers a fugitive from S.H.I.E.L.D. and ordered everyone to begin their search.
Carter was working in the central control room for Project Insight when Captain America revealed that HYDRA had infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D., and that Alexander Pierce and the STRIKE operatives were apart of the terrorist organization. Carter continued to listen to Captain America's speech, telling them not to launch the Helicarriers as it would allow HYDRA to whoever stood in their way.
At that moment, Brock Rumlow and the STRIKE operatives walked into the control room and ordered Cameron Klein to proceed with the launch. However, he refused to comply due to what had been said by Captain America. Rumlow then pulled his gun on Klein, causing Carter to immediately react, pulling her gun out on Rumlow. The entire room then proceeded to turn into a standoff, with everyone holding their guns at each other. Rumlow expressed that Carter was on the wrong side, but she affirmed herself to S.H.I.E.L.D. and Captain America.
Rumlow then lowered his weapon, only to then get the drop on Carter by pulling out his knife and cutting her arm. Carter then fell to the floor, and Rumlow stole her gun, as an intense shootout occurred. Rumlow went to kill Klein, but Carter saved him by kicking Rumlow in the leg. She then maneuvered herself under a desk and equipped herself with a gun, and fired at a fleeing Rumlow, who had initiated the launch.
Working for the CIA
With S.H.I.E.L.D. having been dismantled after the events of the HYDRA Uprising, Carter was left without employment. Seeking to still have a job which involved helping people, she joined the CIA as an agent due to the skills she possessed as a spy. To prove herself as an expert marksman, Carter demonstrated her abilities at a shooting range in Langley. Carter's skills later got her promoted to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, working with Everett Ross in Berlin.
Peggy Carter's Funeral
- "Margaret Carter was known to most as the founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I just know her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office: Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to, which is why I never told anyone we were related."
- ―Sharon Carter[src]
When her aunt Peggy Carter passed away, Carter attended the funeral in London and came to the podium to give a eulogy for her aunt. As she spoke, Sam Wilson noticed Carter and told Steve Rogers, who was also in attendance, and he realized that Carter was the great-niece of his former love.
In her eulogy, Carter explained that she could never live up to the reputation her aunt Peggy had created for herself, and thus never revealed to anyone they were related. Carter then talked about the legacy Peggy left behind and recounted her great-aunt's philosophy of always standing your ground and doing what you know to be right, even when confronted by a world strongly opposing you. Her words resonated with Rogers as he and Carter made eye contact.
During the wake, Carter and Rogers sat down together at a table and caught up with one another over drinks, with Rogers now knowing Carter's familial ties to Peggy. When he wondered if Peggy knew about her spying on him while undercover, Carter explained that she didn't want Peggy to keep any secrets from Rogers so she never told her aunt. He then asked about her job and Carter informed him she was currently stationed in Berlin as part of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, which they joked about being really fun. Carter asked about the Sokovia Accords, to which Rogers suggested that he might take some time off, not wishing to sign. However, Carter knew that he wouldn't be able to retire from the Avengers.
The two then started to flirt, with Carter complimenting Rogers' Captain America uniform. Sometime later, Rogers walked Carter back to her hotel as they talked about how she joined S.H.I.E.L.D.. Carter reflected that while her mother opposed her desire to enlist, Peggy supported her from the beginning. When they reached the elevator, Carter thanked Rogers for walking her back. While waiting, she was about to move in for a kiss when they were interrupted by Wilson, who had shocking news.
Sam Wilson told the two of the bombing that occurred at the Vienna International Centre, so they went up to Carter's room to watch the news report. While Steve Rogers and Wilson watched the report, Carter was called and updated on the situation. They saw as the report claimed that the bomber was Bucky Barnes. Carter then got off the phone and told Rogers and Wilson that she had to get back to Berlin and left the two of them behind.
However, before she left, she met back up with the two at a cafè where she updated them on the search for Barnes. She noted that most of the reports were useless, except for what was in a folder that she gave to Rogers. Carter told them that her boss was demanding a briefing immediately, so she wouldn't be able to give them anything more. She then added that there was an order to shoot on sight of Barnes, and then headed back to Berlin.
Capture of the Winter Soldier
When Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes and T'Challa were all brought to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, they were greeted by Carter and Everett Ross. Carter introduced them to Ross, who ordered her to oversee their equipment being put into lockup.
Carter later returned and gave Wilson the receipt for their equipment, which he took offence at the description of his costume, which she assured him she didn't write. At the same time, Barnes' interrogation was occurring, so Carter decided to disabled the restrictions, allowing them to listen in as well. As the interrogation continued, Rogers started to think about the whole situation, not feeling right about something.
He asked Carter why the photo of Barnes was released at all, which Carter stated it was to get the word out and have people on the look out. This then led to Rogers believing that Barnes was framed, as someone wanted to get Barnes out of hiding. Carter questioned how the person framing Barnes would be able to guarantee that they would capture him. However, they quickly then suspected the interrogator talking with Barnes.
Suddenly, the electricity cut out, causing them to no longer be able to view the interrogation. Now suspecting something was wrong with the capture of the Winter Soldier, Carter once again chose to help Steve Rogers and told him where the interrogation was being held so they could head down there. Carter then joined up with Tony Stark and Natasha Romanoff and led them to where they could apprehend Barnes.
Carter took them to where Barnes was currently fighting some operatives, and they all got into position. Stark attacked first, disorienting Barnes with the Iron Man Gauntlet, after which Carter and Romanoff joined in, fighting him together with their combat skills. However, Barnes countered one of Carter's attacks and threw her onto a table, subduing her, shortly followed by Romanoff. T'Challa rushed into the fight, saving Romanoff, but he too could not stop him and Barnes escaped.
While Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes were all being hunted by the government, Rogers called Carter and got her to retrieve their equipment for them (Captain America's Shield and EXO-7 Falcon). She met up with them in a secret location, where Carter commented on Rogers' choice of a getaway car. Carter revealed she had successfully obtained their equipment, causing Rogers to owe her once again, to which she claimed she was keeping a list.
When Carter noticed Barnes, she told Rogers that he tried to kill her and Rogers apologized on his behalf. Rogers warned Carter that in helping them, she would now be hunted, too, which Carter was aware of. Rogers thanked Carter once again before kissing her passionately, deciding to finally make a move, as they both agreed that it took so long to get there. Carter then left the three, and proceeded to go on the run.
Death and Resurrection
Once Thanos collected all the Infinity Stones and completed the Infinity Gauntlet, he snapped his fingers. Carter was wiped out of existence, as well as half of all living creatures in the universe. Eventually, the Avengers obtained the Stones and Hulk used the Nano Gauntlet to undo the Snap and bring all the victims back to life, including Carter.
Sharon Carter is guided by a strong moral compass and is not afraid to speak out when her ethics are challenged. She holds a high opinion of and belief in Steve Rogers, due to stories of him passed down from her aunt and from how often the two would see each other due to her being assigned to watch over him; during this assignment, the two developed a romantic interest in one another, eventually sharing a kiss, the two of them joking that it was "late". Because of this, she sided with him despite Rogers protecting the Winter Soldier which the CIA she was by then working for was after and accepted the trouble she would be in for it.
Carter was in great awe of the life her aunt Peggy had lived; at Peggy's funeral, Carter mentioned a picture of Peggy standing next to JFK, describing it as "cool" but "a lot to live up to". Because of this, she never told anyone prior to this that the two were related, but was nonetheless determined to follow in her footsteps, leading her into joining S.H.I.E.L.D. She was loyal to S.H.I.E.L.D right up until its collapse following the HYDRA's uprising, after which she joined the CIA.
- Expert Spy: Being an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Carter spent time undercover as a nurse well enough that even Black Widow referred to her by that title until her cover was blown. After S.H.I.E.L.D. collapsed, Carter used her experience in espionage to join the CIA. She was also able to steal Captain America and Falcon's gear from the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre and escape without being caught.
- Expert Marksman: Carter demonstrated excellent accuracy with firearms during her shooting range test for the CIA, hitting the bullseye on all her shots. She also nearly shot down Brock Rumlow during a gun fight after he tried to launch Project Insight.
- Expert Martial Artist: As a former agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the CIA, Carter has received training in martial arts fighting. She was able to prevent Rumlow from killing Cameron Klein by kicking the latter's chair after being knocked down. Carter further demonstrated proficiency in martial arts when together with Black Widow, she briefly fought off the Winter Soldier by executing a series of kicks against him, which had some effect on the super soldier.
- FNX-45 Tactical: Carter's weapon of choice. She carried it when she stormed into Steve Rogers' apartment in Washington, D.C. when the Winter Soldier shot Nick Fury, and also used it to threaten Brock Rumlow in an attempt to avoid the launch of the Project Insight Helicarriers, but Rumlow disarmed her and used the gun to shoot against loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
- Glock 17: Carter armed herself with a Glock 17 after losing her sidearm, using it to fight in the shootout in the Triskelion.
- Glock 19: Carter was issued with one of these handguns when she joined the CIA, practicing her marksmanship in a shooting range with it.
- Triskelion: As the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Carter worked at the organization headquarters in Washington, D.C. under Nick Fury's direct command. Close to the launch of Project Insight, Captain America exposed that S.H.I.E.L.D. was infiltrated by HYDRA. Carter then confronted Brock Rumlow who attempted to force Cameron Klein to launch the Project. As the confrontation progressed, Carter collaborated loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to fight against HYDRA.
- Joint Counter Terrorist Centre Building: Recruited into the CIA, Carter was stationed in Berlin, in the headquarters of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. Together with Everett Ross, Carter supervised the containment of the Winter Soldier and temporary arrest of Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and T'Challa. Suddenly, Barnes freed himself, killing several JCTC operatives and Carter, as well as Black Widow and Tony Stark, fought against Barnes.
|Appearances for Sharon Carter|
|In chronological order:|
- In the comics, Sharon Carter was originally written as Peggy Carter's younger sister, but was later retconned as her niece.
Behind the Scenes
- Emily VanCamp stated that she was involved in discussions to play Sharon Carter in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but the actress was working on the ABC series Revenge at the time.
- Anna Kendrick, Felicity Jones, Imogen Poots, Teresa Palmer, Alison Brie, Emilia Clarke, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Elizabeth Olsen, and Jessica Brown Findlay were previously considered to play Sharon Carter.
- Kimberly Shannon Murphy and Joanna Bennett were stunt doubles for Emily VanCamp in the role of Sharon Carter.
- Heather Witherill was a stand-in for Emily VanCamp in the role of Sharon Carter.
- An early draft of Avengers: Endgame had Carter living with Steve Rogers by 2023 following the Snap, but their relationship would've been turbulent. However, Carter's role was ultimately excised because it was inessential to the plot.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ Captain America: Civil War Deleted Scene
- ↑ Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ Emily VanCamp On New Fox Drama ‘The Resident’, Marvel Universe & Equal Pay – TCA
- ↑ Avengers: Endgame’s Original Ending Had Steve Rogers Living With Sharon Carter