|For other uses, see Sharon Carter (disambiguation)|
|For other uses, see Agent 13 (disambiguation)|
|For other uses, see Power Broker (disambiguation)|
Sharon Carter is the great-niece of legendary S.H.I.E.L.D. founder and Director Peggy Carter. Following in her aunt's footsteps, Carter became an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., although she never revealed her relation, not wanting to be put under the pressure of living up to any expectations. Under direct orders from Nick Fury, Carter was tasked with going undercover as a nurse, living next to Steve Rogers. When Fury was attacked, she blew her cover to Rogers. After HYDRA was revealed to have been operating within S.H.I.E.L.D., Carter chose to stay loyal to her organization, and fought during the Battle at the Triskelion to protect millions of lives.
In the aftermath of the HYDRA Uprising, Carter left the disbanded S.H.I.E.L.D. and joined the CIA, before being stationed at the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. When the Vienna International Centre was bombed, Carter returned to the JCTC after giving Rogers information on Bucky Barnes. When Barnes was arrested and brought into the JCTC, Helmut Zemo reactivated his mental programming, causing Carter to try and stop him, to no success. She later assisted Rogers in handing over his team's equipment, which would indirectly spark the devastating Avengers Civil War. Her involvement in helping Rogers would cause Carter to go on the run after being branded an enemy of the state by the US government and isolated from the intelligence community.
Relying on her skills and ingenuity to survive, Carter established herself in Madripoor as the Power Broker, who ruled the city's criminal underworld, amassing her wealth during the Snap, in which she was believed to have died. Carter would later reunite with Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes and Helmut Zemo, assisting them in uncovering the truth about the Flag Smashers. She would later hire the mercenary Georges Batroc as a means to spy on their leader Karli Morgenthau before joining Wilson and Barnes in New York City as the Flag Smashers attack the GRC. After Carter killed Morgenthau, Wilson was eventually able to get her pardoned, unintentionally allowing her to secure direct access to government resources for her buyers in Madripoor.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- 1.2 CIA Agent
- 1.3 Life on the Run
- 1.4 New Business
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Behind the Scenes
- 10 References
- 11 External Links
Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Proving her Value
Sharon Carter was born in New Orleans, Louisiana in the United States. The granddaughter of Michael Carter, Sharon would admire his sister and her great-aunt, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s co-founder and Director Peggy Carter, from a young age and form a close relationship with her. This would cause Carter to grow an interest in the agency, and follow Peggy's advice to join despite her mother's protests to the contrary. Peggy even bought Carter her first thigh holster. To ensure she would not be in her famed ancestor's shadow, Carter refused to disclose her surname while at S.H.I.E.L.D..
Nick Fury personally assigned Carter to monitor and protect Steve Rogers in his home apartment. She was given the apartment opposite to his, acting as a nurse and going by the name "Kate". Carter would report back to Fury to ensure that Rogers was not a threat to S.H.I.E.L.D. and could be trusted. Over her tenure as his protector, she became well-acquainted with Rogers and would talk to him whenever they met, often flirting with Rogers in order to gain his trust. However, Carter never told her aunt of her assignment, as she didn't want Peggy to have any secrets from Rogers.
One evening as Carter had been doing some of her laundry, she ran into Steve Rogers outside their respective apartments while talking with her aunt on the phone. After her call ended, the two neighbors began to chat, with Rogers offering to let Carter use his washing machine as opposed to the one in the basement. He also shyly asked if she wished to join him for a cup of coffee in exchange.
However, Carter politely declined Rogers' offer, excusing that her laundry was already in progress and her hospital scrubs had been present in the infectious disease ward. The two started to flirt, with Rogers jokingly telling her he would keep his distance then, but Carter suggestively responded that she hoped he would not stay too far away. Carter then left to go continue with her laundry, telling Rogers that he had left his stereo on in his apartment.
However, when Carter overheard gunshots, she rushed back upstairs to check on Rogers. Carter forced herself inside of his apartment, breaking down the door, pulled out her gun and called out to Rogers. Carter then identified herself to the confused Rogers, informing him that she was a member of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Special Service tasked with protecting him, keeping her gun raised the entire time.
When Rogers asked who was the one that gave her those orders, Carter acknowledged it was Director Nick Fury, who had been attacked by the Winter Soldier in the apartment. She immediately checked on Fury, reporting that he had been shot and calling for an EMT. Rogers pursued the shooter while Carter got Fury into an ambulance and had him taken to a hospital for treatment.
When Nick Fury was declared dead after surgery, Carter met with Secretary Alexander Pierce inside the Triskelion, whom she debriefed about the incident. Pierce reassured her by saying that Carter did everything she could have done to save the Director. As she then exited his office, Carter passed by Steve Rogers, who was also on his way to meet with Pierce; when she greeted him, Rogers simply addressed her as "neighbor" without eye contact.
Later, Jasper Sitwell ordered all of the present S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, including Carter, to join the manhunt for Rogers, after he escaped from the Triskelion and took out multiple STRIKE operatives. Carter spoke up and demanded to know why they were being ordered to apprehend Rogers. Pierce then entered the room and answered that Rogers had lied to the organization by withholding information about Fury's murder. He declared Rogers a fugitive from S.H.I.E.L.D. and ordered everyone to begin their search, which Carter reluctantly obeyed.
Carter was working in the central control room for Project Insight when Captain America took over the PA system and revealed that HYDRA had infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D., with Alexander Pierce and the STRIKE operatives part of the terrorist organization. Carter continued to listen to Captain America's speech urging them not to launch the Helicarriers as it would allow HYDRA to kill whoever stood in their way to control world security, encouraging the true S.H.I.E.L.D. members to fight back.
At that moment, Brock Rumlow and the STRIKE operatives entered the control room and ordered Cameron Klein to proceed with the launch. However, he refused to comply due to Captain America's revelations. Rumlow then pulled his gun on Klein, causing Carter to immediately react, pulling her own gun out on Rumlow. The entire room then proceeded to turn into a standoff, with everyone holding their guns at each other. Rumlow warned that Carter was on the wrong side, but she affirmed herself to S.H.I.E.L.D. and Captain America.
Rumlow lowered his weapon, only to suddenly get the drop on Carter by pulling out his knife and cutting her arm. She then fell to the floor as Rumlow stole her gun, and an intense shootout occurred. Rumlow went to kill Klein, but Carter saved him by kicking away Klein's chair. She then maneuvered herself under a desk and equipped herself with another gun, which Carter fired at a fleeing Rumlow, who had initiated the launch.
With S.H.I.E.L.D. having been dismantled after the events of the HYDRA Uprising, Carter was left without employment. Seeking to still have a job which involved helping people, she joined the CIA as an agent due to the skills she possessed as a spy. To prove herself as an expert marksman, Carter demonstrated her abilities at a shooting range in Langley. Carter's skills later got her promoted to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, working with Everett Ross in Berlin.
Peggy Carter's Funeral
When her aunt Peggy Carter passed away, Carter attended the funeral in London and came to the podium to give a eulogy for her aunt. As she spoke, Sam Wilson noticed Carter and told Steve Rogers, who was also in attendance, and he realized that Carter was the great-niece of his former love.
In her eulogy, Carter explained that she could never live up to the reputation her aunt Peggy had created for herself, and thus never revealed to anyone they were related. Carter then talked about the legacy Peggy left behind and recounted her great-aunt's philosophy of always standing your ground and doing what you know to be right, even when confronted by a world strongly opposing you. Her words resonated with Rogers as he and Carter made eye contact.
Reunion with Steve Rogers
During the wake, Carter and Steve Rogers sat down together at a table and caught up with one another over drinks, with Rogers now knowing Carter's familial ties to Peggy Carter. When he wondered if Peggy knew about her spying on him while undercover, Carter explained that she did not want Peggy to keep any secrets from Rogers, so she never told her aunt. Rogers then asked about her job at the CIA, and Carter informed him she was currently stationed in Berlin as part of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, which they joked about being really fun.
Carter asked about the Sokovia Accords, to which Rogers suggested that he might take some time off, not wishing to sign. However, Carter knew that he would not be able to retire from the Avengers, questioning how often he had his uniform in his closet, while also making her fondness for the uniform clear to him. Sometime later, Rogers walked Carter back to her hotel, as they talked about how she joined S.H.I.E.L.D.. Carter reflected that, while her mother opposed her desire to enlist, Peggy supported her from the beginning. When they reached the elevator, Carter thanked Rogers for walking her back. While waiting, she was about to move in for a kiss when they were interrupted by Sam Wilson, who had shocking news.
Sam Wilson told the two of the bombing that occurred at the Vienna International Centre, so they went up to Carter's room to watch the news report. While Steve Rogers and Wilson watched the report, Carter was called and updated on the situation. They saw as the report claimed that the bomber was Bucky Barnes. Carter then got off the phone and told Rogers and Wilson that she had to get back to Berlin and left the two of them behind.
However, before she left, she met back up with the two at a café where she updated them on the search for Barnes. She noted that most of the reports were useless, except for what was in a folder that she gave to Rogers. Carter told them that her boss was demanding a briefing immediately, so she wouldn't be able to give them anything more. She then added that there was an order to shoot on sight of Barnes, and then headed back to Berlin.
Capture of the Winter Soldier
When Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes and T'Challa were all brought to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, they were greeted by Carter and Everett Ross. Carter introduced them to Ross, who ordered her to oversee their equipment being put into lockup.
Carter later returned and gave Wilson the receipt for their equipment, which he took offence at the description of his costume, which she assured him she didn't write. At the same time, Barnes' interrogation was occurring, so Carter decided to disabled the restrictions, allowing them to listen in as well. As the interrogation continued, Rogers started to think about the whole situation, not feeling right about something.
He asked Carter why the photo of Barnes was released at all, which Carter stated it was to get the word out and have people on the look out. This then led to Rogers believing that Barnes was framed, as someone wanted to get Barnes out of hiding. Carter questioned how the person framing Barnes would be able to guarantee that they would capture him. However, they quickly then suspected the interrogator talking with Barnes.
Suddenly, the electricity cut out, causing them to no longer be able to view the interrogation. Now suspecting something was wrong with the capture of the Winter Soldier, Carter once again chose to help Steve Rogers and told him where the interrogation was being held so they could head down there. Carter then joined up with Tony Stark and Natasha Romanoff and led them to where they could apprehend Barnes.
Carter took them to where Barnes was currently fighting some operatives, and they all got into position. Stark attacked first, disorienting Barnes with the Iron Man Gauntlet, after which Carter and Romanoff joined in, fighting him together with their combat skills. However, Barnes countered one of Carter's attacks and threw her onto a table, subduing her, shortly followed by Romanoff. T'Challa rushed into the fight, saving Romanoff, but he too could not stop him and Barnes escaped.
Life on the Run
Assisting Steve Rogers
While Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes were all being hunted by the government, Rogers called Carter and got her to retrieve their equipment for them, Rogers' shield and Wilson's EXO-7 Falcon. She met up with them in a secret location, where Carter commented on Rogers' choice of a getaway car. Carter revealed she had successfully obtained their equipment from the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre, causing Rogers to owe her once again, to which she claimed she was keeping a list.
When Carter noticed Barnes, she told Rogers that he tried to kill her and Rogers apologized on his behalf. Rogers warned Carter that in helping them, she would now be hunted, too, which Carter was aware of. Rogers thanked Carter once again before kissing her passionately, deciding to finally make a move, as they both agreed that it took so long to get there. Carter then left the three, and proceeded to go on the run, as her actions made her an enemy of the state.
Moving to Madripoor
To ensure that she would not be found and arrested, Carter decided to move to Madripoor, as there was no extradition. However, while she was relatively safe, Carter was unable to ever make contact with her family or leave. Carter's new life entailed her hustling to survive, which led to her embracing the lifestyle of a black market art dealer, acquiring various valuable items, building a gallery, making connections as the Power Broker, and achieving a powerful status, as well as becoming hardened and nihilistic from her previous experiences. Carter was responsible for Georges Batroc's release from an Algerian prison.
Carter learned of Wilfred Nagel's work on a new Super Soldier Serum, and after Nagel returned in the Blip, she decided to provide him with the resources to synthesize the serum. Carter had also taken Karli Morgenthau in, but was ultimately betrayed by her when she stole twenty vials of the serum, and used them on herself and others to support her own Flag Smashers' Campaign. Angered by this, Carter sought out to bring an end to Morgenthau, promising to kill her, so she sent some of her men to do so, but she was able to get away.
Aiding Old Friends
While Carter was at the Brass Monkey, she noticed Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes arrive with Helmut Zemo, so she stealthily left the bar, deciding to watch them, while remaining hidden. Taking a sniper position, Carter watched as the three met with Selby, but when their cover was blown, she decided to help them by killing Selby.
Once a bounty was placed on the three because of Selby's murder, it caused them to be immediately attacked, so Carter further assisted them by eliminating all of threats that were coming after them. Carter then made her way down to the street so she could kill Zemo, as it was his actions that led to her becoming a fugitive. Carter determinedly pointed her gun at Zemo, but Wilson and Barnes, who were surprised to see her, stopped her from shooting, explaining that Zemo was helping them with a lead on the new Super Soldier Serum.
Barnes asked what she was doing in Madripoor, so she frustratingly reminded them that she was off the grid for helping them by stealing Steve Rogers' shield and Wilson's wings to save Barnes from Zemo's plans. Carter further explained that because she didn't have the support of the Avengers, she had to stay on the run, unlike Wilson. Barnes once more asked for her help, much to Carter's amusement, so she decided to take them to her apartment to hide out, but stated that her conflict with Zemo was not over.
Arriving back at her Art Gallery, Carter commented on the advantages of living as a real hustler, before telling Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes to get changed, as she was hosting clients soon. Wilson inquired why she never returned to United States of America, so Carter explained that she would be arrested immediately if she did, causing him to apologize for not calling her after the Blip. Carter cut Wilson off, saying that the whole hero thing was a joke, referring to him giving up the shield as hypocrisy.
Carter then asked about the new Captain America, and was surprised by Barnes' annoyance towards him, so she teased him about how he also cares about the whole American hero gimmick, in which he was Captain America's best friend to the public. Wilson informed Carter about the Flag Smashers, but she advised them to stay out of it for their own safety, but they were determined to find Wilfred Nagel, who made the new serum. Carter was aware of Nagel, revealing that he worked for the Power Broker.
Wilson asked Carter for her help, promising her could clear her name, but she was doubtful. However, she decided to take up his offer, telling the three to wait while she spoke with her contacts for leads. During the party Carter was hosting at her place, she met with her clients, and investigated into finding Nagel's whereabouts, which she was successfully able to do, so she let Wilson, Barnes and Helmut Zemo know, and they left.
Carter led the three to a shipyard, directing them to the shipping container that Wilfred Nagel was in so they could talk to him, while she kept watch outside, noting that the bounties on them made it crucial that they leave Madripoor as soon as they could. Soon, every bounty hunter in the city arrived, so Carter alerted the others of the situation, as they spoke with Nagel. To give them time, Carter decided to fend off all of the enemies, sneaking up on the bounty hunters and swiftly knocking them out.
Carter told them that they had to leave immediately, as she continued to face off against the swarm of opponents. Carter was able to hold her against the bounty hunters, but knew there were too many of them for her to deal with, so she headed to the laboratory in the container to regroup with the others. When she entered, Helmut Zemo shot and killed Nagel, right before the lab was blown up by a bounty hunter. Carter, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes got out of the lab, but were unable to find Zemo.
A gunfight ensued, as they attempted to escape from their attackers, but were cornered. Right as Carter ran out of ammo, they were saved by Zemo, who took out a few of the bounty hunters, allowing them to move, only to then be under more fire, so they hid in a container, and escaped out the other end. They were then greeted by Zemo, who drove up to them in a car, and Wilson asked Carter to come back with them, but she could not and asked him to keep his promise to get her pardoned. After being thanked by Wilson for her help to them, Carter left them, meeting up with her bodyguard, who was waiting to pick her up. Carter stated that they had a few problems, and was driven away, as she talked about them.
Assisting Sam Wilson
Not long after her encounter Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes, Carter was contacted by Wilson to ask for a favor. Wilson informed Carter that they found a Flag Smashers camp, and that Helmut Zemo was withholding information from them about where the group would be.
Not wanting to go into a potentially dangerous situation blind, Wilson asked Carter to provide them with eyes on the camp, so Carter agreed to help, revealing she had access to a satellite. Carter then told Wilson that if Karli Morgenthau managed to escape them, they wouldn't be able to find the Super Soldier Serum, revealing that the "Power Broker" was upset about Wilfred Nagel's death, and wanted the serum back.
Later, Carter was once again contacted by Wilson through a secure messaging line, now asking her to keep a watch on John Walker, and if he went after Morgenthau. Carter complied with the request, and used the satellite to successfully track Walker's location, discovering that he was moving in on the Flag Smashers. Carter notified Wilson of Walker's whereabouts, and he and Barnes proceeded to go after him.
Contacting Georges Batroc
Carter called Georges Batroc, revealing that she had a job for him to do for her, reminding him that she was the one that got him out of prison in Algeria. However, Batroc became angry because of how the last job she gave him went, but Carter promised him double the payment, and that he wouldn't regret taking it. Carter explained the job was to spy on Karli Morgenthau for her, which he accepted, and she provided Batroc with some weaponry to give to the Flag Smashers.
Stopping the Flag Smashers
When Sam Wilson learned the Flag Smashers were going to attack the Global Repatriation Council, he contacted Carter to asked for her support in stopping them, so she decided to leave Madripoor and return to the United States of America. Carter made her way to the GRC Meeting Hall, wearing a Photostatic Veil to disguise herself as a man, until she found Bucky Barnes.
Carter revealed herself to Barnes, assuring him that no one would be looking for her, and they joined communications with Wilson, who thanked Carter for risking her safety to help them. Wilson notified the two that the Flag Smashers would move in on the building soon, so Carter and Barnes made their way inside, only to discover none of the Flag Smashers were there. Figuring out that they were wanting to get the GRC outside, Carter and Barnes worked to keep everyone inside, with Carter following a Flag Smasher underground, where GRC members were being led.
Carter watched as the members of the GRC were escorted into armored trucks, and Lennox used a device to lock them inside, ensuring they could not escape. Once the vehicles drove off, Barnes hastily chased after them on a motorcycle, telling Carter to deal with Lennox. Pretending to accidentally bump into Lennox, Carter was successfully able to plant mercury vapor on him, brutally killing him as he entered a vehicle to drive away. Heading back outside, Carter noticed a helicopter taking off on the roof, so she informed Wilson.
As Barnes engaged in fight with the Flag Smashers, Carter made her way to his location, where she witnessed one of the armored trucks carrying hostages fall off the ledge, but it was saved by Wilson, who had taken up the mantle of Captain America. When Georges Batroc arrived on the scene, he created a smokescreen, allowing the Flag Smashers to get away, but Carter was determined to confront Karli Morgenthau, so she went after her. Barnes notified Carter of their location in the tunnels, but she entered though the other end to get to Morgenthau first.
Confronting Karli Morgenthau
Using the Flag Smashers' whistle to lure Karli Morgenthau, Carter confronted her at gunpoint, which Morgenthau reciprocated by pointing her gun, too. Carter withdrew her gun, saying she was disappointed in Morgenthau for betraying her after she had given her an opportunity in Madripoor. Morgenthau stated that it was because Carter wanted to control the world, whereas she wanted to change it. Carter made an offer for her to come back and work for her, but Morgenthau refused, and questioned how much power Carter still had, but she declared was more than Morgenthau.
At that moment, Georges Batroc joined them, and upon learning Carter was the Power Broker, he decided to threaten her, asking for four times what he was getting paid, or he would reveal her identity to the world. Having no desire to be blackmailed, Carter, without hesitation, shot Batroc dead, but was also shot herself by Morgenthau. As Carter laid on the ground wounded, Morgenthau went to finish her, but was saved by Sam Wilson, and the two fought. Because Wilson refused to fight, Morgenthau was going to kill him, but at the last moment, Carter shot and killed her.
Making her way outside, Carter regrouped with Bucky Barnes, refusing his recommendation for her to go to a hospital for her gunshot wound. After Wilson, who announced himself as the new Captain America to the public, gave a speech to the GRC about making a change, he and Barnes meet up with Carter. Wilson insisted that Carter should get medical attention, but she assured them she'd be fine. After Carter commented on liking Wilson's new suit, Barnes went to take her to get treated, and Wilson reminded her that he'd keep his promise and get her pardoned.
- "Start lining up our buyers. Super soldiers may be off the menu, but we're about to have full access to government secrets, prototype weapons, you name it. Should be something for everyone."
- ―Sharon Carter[src]
Sam Wilson kept his promise, and was able to get Carter her pardon, allowing her to no longer be wanted, and able to return to the United States of America. Carter went to the Capitol where she was officially offered her pardon, as well as an opening in her old division, which she accepted.
Having acquired what she had been wanting for so long, the only thing on Carter's mind was continuing future operations to build her empire as the Power Broker to control the world, as she was still hurt by how she was treated all the way back in 2016 during the Avengers Civil War, despite now regaining her freedom. Outside the Capitol, Carter called one of her contacts and told them to prepare all of their buyers, as she was going to take advantage of her newly returned government position to steal high-level agency secrets, weapons in the prototype stage, and a magnitude of more things to sell to them.
Sharon Carter was initially guided by a strong moral compass and was not afraid to speak out when her ethics are challenged. She held a high opinion of and belief in Steve Rogers, due to stories of him passed down from her aunt and from how often the two would see each other due to her being assigned to watch over him; during this assignment, the two developed a romantic interest in one another, eventually sharing a kiss, the two of them joking that it was "late". Because of this, she sided with him despite Rogers protecting the Winter Soldier which the CIA she was by then working for was after and accepted the trouble she would be in for it.
Carter was in great awe of the life her aunt Peggy had lived; at Peggy's funeral, Carter mentioned a picture of Peggy standing next to JFK, describing it as "cool" but "a lot to live up to". Because of this, she never told anyone prior to this that the two were related, but was nonetheless determined to follow in her footsteps, leading her into joining S.H.I.E.L.D. She was loyal to S.H.I.E.L.D right up until its collapse following the HYDRA's uprising, after which she joined the CIA.
After betraying the U.S. government to help Steve Rogers, Carter became more cynical and hardened after years of being on the run. Contrasting her former belief in the system, Carter enjoys life outside the law, working as a black market art dealer in Madripoor. Despite living luxuriously, Carter still misses her old life before going rogue, and is still willing to help her old friends when the occasion arises.
However this is all simply a façade, and as the Power Broker she is a manipulative and power-hungry woman who wants to make the American government suffer for branding her a criminal and control the world through her criminal empire, and is willing to use the Flag Smashers and Wilson and Barnes to further her goals while playing both sides of the conflict. As described as Zemo, Carter is "judge, jury and executioner" in Madripoor and will punish or execute those who threaten her authority or try and double-cross her, hunting down and killing Karli for not following her orders. Though she accepts the pardon and her old job from the government, Carter only does so to be able to access top secret weapons and technology to sell to her clients.
- Expert Spy: Being an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Carter spent time undercover as a nurse well enough that even Black Widow referred to her by that title until her cover was blown. After S.H.I.E.L.D. collapsed, Carter used her experience in espionage to join the CIA. She was also able to steal Captain America and Falcon's gear from the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre and escape without being caught. As the Power Broker, Carter retained her skills in espionage and discreetly planted a mercury vapor charge on Lennox, which killed him.
- Expert Marksman: Carter demonstrated excellent accuracy with firearms during her shooting range test for the CIA, hitting the bullseye on all her shots. She also nearly shot down Brock Rumlow during a gunfight after he tried to launch Project Insight. In Madripoor, she shot and killed Selby, and later shot and killed both Georges Batroc and Flag Smasher.
- Expert Martial Artist: As a former agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the CIA, Carter has received training in martial arts. She was able to prevent Rumlow from killing Cameron Klein by kicking the latter's chair after being knocked down. Carter further demonstrated proficiency in martial arts when together with Black Widow, she briefly fought off the Winter Soldier by executing a series of kicks against him, which had some effect on the super soldier. She also proved capable of taking down several mercenaries.
- Staff Proficiency: Carter displayed exceptional skill in wielding a collapsible baton against mercenaries in Madripoor.
- "Karli, you know I’m always prepared."
- ―Sharon Carter[src]
- Master Tactician: After becoming the Power Broker, Carter gained experience and skill in manipulating and influencing people and the situation around her, allowing her to remain anonymous and do business separately as a trader and hustler while still holding power in Madripoor as its ruler and crime lord. Carter is able to both play Wilson and Barnes and the Flag Smashers into her hands, keeping them in conflict with each other while still being seen as an ally and outsider despite having the advantage the whole time. She hires Batroc to spy on Karli under the façade of making a deal with her in exchange for fighting Wilson, is able to keep her identity as the Power Broker a secret and eliminates everyone who knows of it, keeping her former allies none the wiser. By appearing to help save the Government Official and his colleagues, Carter is pardoned and given her old job as a CIA agent, allowing her access to top secret weapons and equipment she can now sell to clients to increase her influence and authority in the criminal underworld.
- Bilingualism: Carter fluently speaks her native English. She also understands French, allowing her to communicate with Batroc.
- FNX-45 Tactical: Carter's weapon of choice. She carried it when she stormed into Steve Rogers' apartment in Washington, D.C. when the Winter Soldier shot Nick Fury, and also used it to threaten Brock Rumlow in an attempt to avoid the launch of the Project Insight Helicarriers, but Rumlow disarmed her and used the gun to shoot against loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
- Glock 17: Carter armed herself with a Glock 17 after losing her sidearm, using it to fight in the shootout in the Triskelion.
- Glock 19: Carter was issued with one of these handguns when she joined the CIA, practicing her marksmanship in a shooting range with it.
- Glock 26: Carter's new sidearm in Madripoor is a compact version of her previous handguns. She aimed it at Wilson, Barnes and Zemo after they escaped Brass Monkey. She used it during a shootout against mercenaries in Buccaneer Bay, and later used it to shoot and kill both Georges Batroc and Flag Smasher.
- IWI Masada: Carter took Zemo's pistol after he dropped it and kept it on her belt, giving it to Wilson later on.
- CZ P-10: Carter took Zemo's pistol after he used it to shoot and kill Nagel, but it was reclaimed by the Baron when Nagel's lab was hit by a rocket launcher.
- Smith & Wesson M&P9: Carter disarmed a mercenary of his pistol in Buccaneer Bay.
- Colt M1911A1: Carter carried two pistols in a double shoulder holster in New York.
- LaRue Tactical OBR 7.62: Carter used a sniper rifle to shoot and kill Selby, and took down several bounty hunters chasing Wilson, Barnes and Zemo.
- Captain America's Shield: In the wake of the Sokovia Accords, Carter stole the shield and returned it to Steve Rogers, before going into hiding.
- EXO-7 Falcon: Carter also stole Sam Wilson’s weapons and returned it to him via Rogers.
- Photostatic Veil: When returning to the United States of America while still wanted, Carter wore a photostatic veil to disguise herself.
- Mercury Vapor Bomb: To be added
- Triskelion: As the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Carter worked at the organization headquarters in Washington, D.C. under Nick Fury's direct command. Close to the launch of Project Insight, Captain America exposed that S.H.I.E.L.D. was infiltrated by HYDRA. Carter then confronted Brock Rumlow who attempted to force Cameron Klein to launch the Project. As the confrontation progressed, Carter collaborated loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to fight against HYDRA.
- Joint Counter Terrorist Centre Building: Recruited into the CIA, Carter was stationed in Berlin, in the headquarters of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. Together with Everett Ross, Carter supervised the containment of the Winter Soldier and temporary arrest of Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and T'Challa. Suddenly, Barnes freed himself, killing several JCTC operatives and Carter, as well as Black Widow and Tony Stark, fought against Barnes.
- Sharon Carter's Art Gallery: To be added
|Appearances for Sharon Carter|
|In chronological order:
- In the comics, Sharon Carter was originally written as Peggy Carter's younger sister, but was later retconned as her niece.
- The Power Broker was the title held by two different individuals in the Marvel Comics Universe, specialized in providing superpowers and augmentations for paying customers. The original Power Broker, Curtiss Jackson was the founder of Power Broker, Inc. and worked with Dr. Karl Malus and provided superpowers for John Walker. He was eventually killed by the Punisher, and replaced by a new Power Broker, who possessed superhuman abilities.
Behind the Scenes
- Emily VanCamp stated that she was involved in discussions to play Sharon Carter in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but the actress was working on the ABC series Revenge at the time.
- Anna Kendrick, Felicity Jones, Imogen Poots, Teresa Palmer, Alison Brie, Emilia Clarke, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Elizabeth Olsen and Jessica Brown Findlay were previously considered to play Sharon Carter. Karen Gillan previously auditioned for the character.
- Kimberly Shannon Murphy, Joanna Bennett and Jess Durham were stunt doubles for Emily VanCamp in the role of Sharon Carter.
- Heather Witherill was a stand-in for Emily VanCamp in the role of Sharon Carter.
- An early draft of Avengers: Endgame had Carter living with Steve Rogers by 2023 following the Snap, but their relationship would've been turbulent. However, Carter's role was ultimately excised because it was inessential to the plot.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier: 1.02: The Star-Spangled Man
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier 1.03: Power Broker
- Explore Madripoor
- Captain America: Civil War
- Captain America: Civil War Deleted Scene
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier: 1.06: One World, One People
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier: 1.05: Truth
- Avengers: Endgame
- Falcon and the Winter Soldier Director Talks About That Sharon Carter Reveal, Rumored Pandemic Storyline
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier 1.04: The Whole World Is Watching
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier: 1.06: One World, One People Mid-credits Scene
- Emily VanCamp On New Fox Drama ‘The Resident’, Marvel Universe & Equal Pay – TCA
- Karen Gillan Auditioned for a Role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Avengers: Endgame’s Original Ending Had Steve Rogers Living With Sharon Carter