|For other uses, see Shang-Chi (disambiguation)|
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is an upcoming superhero film, based on the Marvel Comics superhero of the same name. It is the twenty-fifth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the second film of Phase Four. The film is set to be released on July 9, 2021.
The film is directed by Destin Daniel Cretton and stars Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, Tony Leung as Wenwu/Mandarin, Awkwafina as Katy, Meng'er Zhang as Xialing, Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan, Ronny Chieng as Jon Jon, Fala Chen as Jiang Li, and Florian Munteanu as Razor Fist.
- Simu Liu as Shang-Chi
- Tony Leung as Wenwu/Mandarin
- Awkwafina as Katy
- Meng'er Zhang as Xialing
- Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan
- Ronny Chieng as Jon Jon
- Fala Chen as Jiang Li
- Florian Munteanu as Razor Fist
- Rosalind Chao as a to-be-confirmed character
- To-be-confirmed actor as Death Dealer
To be added
To be added
To be added
To be added
In 2001, Stephen Norrington announced that he had agreed to direct a film based on the Marvel Comics character Shang-Chi, describing it as "a real honest-to-goodness martial arts film, rather than a film that simply has martial arts in it."
In 2004, Ang Lee announced that he would be a producer on the film. In 2005, Stan Lee announced that he would executive produce the film for DreamWorks with Yuen Woo-ping set to direct from a screenplay by Bruce McKenna, while Avi Arad stated that he believed a PG-13 adaptation of the character was possible.
On December 3, 2018, Deadline reported that Marvel Studios had hired David Callaham to write a screenplay which would modernize the character to avoid stereotypes while Marvel was looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors to helm the film, while also intending for the film to be Marvel's first superhero film with an Asian protagonist.
On April 5, 2019, Marvel Studios announced that one of their upcoming films, believed to be this film, would shoot in Sydney and throughout New South Wales. By the end of the month, it was reported filming would not begin until Eternals was finished shooting.
On June 17, 2019, That Hashtag Show reported that Ludi Lin and Ross Butler were among the actors that Marvel Studios was interested in meeting to discuss the title role and that Marvel Studios was also interested in meeting Donnie Yen for an unidentified role.
On July 20, 2019, at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Kevin Feige revealed that the title of the film would be Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and that it was scheduled to hit theaters on February 12, 2021. It was also announced that Simu Liu would play the title character, while Tony Leung Chiu-wai and Awkwafina would appear in the film as the real Mandarin and an undisclosed character respectively.
On July 26, 2019, it was reported that filming was expected to begin in August 2019 in Sydney.
On October 26, 2019, it was reported that a portion of the filming would take place in the United States, under the working title "Steamboat".
On January 8, 2020, Kevin Feige revealed that the film would begin production soon.
On March 13, 2020, 24 hours after stating that second-unit production on the film would still continue, Walt Disney Studios suspended production on all its live-action projects, including Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On March 17, 2020, Destin Daniel Cretton revealed through his Instagram account that he had tested negative for COVID-19.
On April 3, 2020, it was announced that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film had been pushed back from its initial release date to May 7, 2021.
On July 1, 2020, Deadline reported that filming will restart at the end of the month in Sydney, Australia.
On August 2, 2020, it was reported that work was being done on a set and that filming would resume in the coming days.
On September 23, 2020, it was announced that the film had been pushed back from its May 7, 2021 release date to July 9, 2021.
On December 10, 2020, during Disney’s 2020 Investor Day, Kevin Feige revealed the full cast of the film.
- Marvel's 'Shang-Chi' Sets Director Destin Daniel Cretton
- ‘Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings’ Reveals Additional Cast
- ROSALIND CHAO CAST IN KEY ROLE FOR MARVEL’S SHANG CHI: EXCLUSIVE
- Marvel LEGO Set Reveals First Look at Shang-Chi Costume - ComicBook.com
- Marvel Superhero film now shooting in San Francisco
- You'll Flip When You Hear Who is Directing SHANG CHI: MASTER OF KUNG FU!
- Marvel's Shang-Chi gets a MASTER for a director and a big green meanie for a producer?
- Future Shocks: What's Ahead For Avi Arad and his Marvel empire?
- Marvel to Make Movies Based on Comic Books
- ‘Shang-Chi’ Marvel’s First Asian Film Superhero Franchise; Dave Callaham Scripting, Search On For Director Of Asian Descent
- Marvel's first Asian superhero movie tipped to shoot in Sydney
- Robert Downey Jr.'s Massive Payday Tops 'Avengers: Endgame' Star Deals
- EXCLUSIVE: Donnie Yen, Ludi Lin On Marvel Studios ‘SHANG-CHI’ Short List
- SDCC 2019: All of the Marvel Studios News Coming Out of Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con
- OSCAR NOMINATED CHUNG MAN YEE JOINS “SHANG-CHI”
- ‘Thor 4’ and ‘Shang-Chi’ to Shoot in Australia; Filming Dates Revealed
- EXCLUSIVE: Working Title For Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Confirmed To Be ‘Steamboat’
- Marvel's Kevin Feige Confirms Shang-Chi Begins Filming Soon
- Marvel's 'Shang-Chi' Temporarily Suspends Production as Director Self-Isolates (Exclusive)
- Disney Suspends Film Production Amid Coronavirus Concerns
- Destin Yori Daniel Cretton on Instagram - March 17, 2020
- The Walt Disney Studios Announces Updated Release Schedule
- ‘Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings’ Prepping To Restart Production In Australia By End Of July
- 'Shang-Chi' Production Ready to Return to Filming
- Marvel Studios' 'Black Widow' and More Receive New Phase Four Release Dates
- Destin Yori Daniel Cretton on Instagram - October 24, 2020
- Simu Liu on Instagram - October 24, 2020