|For other uses, see Shang-Chi (disambiguation)|
Xu Shang-Chi (Mandarin: 徐尚氣) is the son of Xu Wenwu, the founder of the Ten Rings. Since his childhood, Shang-Chi underwent a brutal training regime that turned him into a formidable martial artist; however, on a mission to avenge his mother's death, he chose to abandon the Ten Rings and leave his family past behind. Seeking to start a new life outside of his father's shadow, Shang-Chi fled to the United States of America, maintaining a peaceful life in San Francisco under the name Shaun with his friend Katy Chen. Eventually, the Ten Rings targeted Shang-Chi once again, so he joined forces with Chen and his sister Xu Xialing in order to oppose Wenwu in his quest to breach the Dark Gate of Ta Lo, which unleashed the Dweller-in-Darkness and the Soul Eaters. When his father sacrificed himself to save him, Shang-Chi inherited his mystical rings to defeat the Soul Eaters. Returning home, he began studying the rings when they emitted a signal.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Facing The Past
- 1.3 Recruited by Wong
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
Shang-Chi was born to Xu Wenwu and Ying Li and was raised at the Ten Rings Headquarters in the mountains of China. During his childhood, his mother would often tell him about how his father had been the wielder of a set of mythical rings for thousands of years, how she and his father met, and the legend of Ta Lo and the Great Protector. One day, after his mother told these stories, while folding origami dragons, she gifted Shang-Chi a green pendant necklace telling him that it could lead him home if he ever got lost.
Death of Ying Li
The family led a happy life until a past rival of his father, the Iron Gang, attacked their home. While Ying Li was teaching Shang-Chi the special martial arts style of the Ta Lo people, the Gang barged through the front gate. His mother sent him and his sister, Xu Xialing inside, where they watched from a window as their mother was killed by the Iron Gang. He then ran outside and held his mother's body as his father returned home and saw the carnage.
Trained by the Ten Rings
Shang-Chi was present when Xu Wenwu decided to reclaim the rings and rebuild his army. After learning of the identity of his mother's killers, Shang-Chi accompanied Wenwu to a bar, where Wenwu attacked and killed several Iron Gang members in an attempt to find their leader. Wenwu then told a traumatized Shang-Chi that "A blood debt must be paid in blood" before asking him if he wanted to join him in his quest to kill his mother's killer. Shang-Chi agreed.
Shang-Chi's father soon became distant from him and his sister, due to them reminding him of their mother. Shang-Chi was trained relentlessly between the ages 7 - 14 to become an expert martial arts fighter and assassin. He was eager to please and would often exercise so hard his knuckles would bleed. However, his father was proud of him and would take care of him. Shang-Chi trained well under the tutelage of Death Dealer, and eventually could beat over ten armed enemies at once.
In 2014, at the age of fourteen, he was tasked by his father to kill the Iron Gang's leader. Before he left, Shang-Chi told Xu Xialing that he would be back in three days. After killing his target, he decided not to return home and fled to the United States of America.
Shang-Chi moved to San Francisco, California, and changed his name to Shaun to ensure his father would be unable to track him, though he did not realize that he was already being tracked. He enrolled in school, and met Katy Chen, Soo, and John, who became his close friends. Shang-Chi was often bullied in school due to his Asian heritage, with people calling him "Gangnam Style" despite the fact that he was not Korean. Chen combated this bullying by randomly bursting into the song "Hotel California" as a distraction while she stole the bully's keys to his Ford Mustang. Chen, Shang-Chi, and Soo took his Mustang on a joyride. After graduating high school in 2017, Shang-Chi and Chen became valet workers for the Fairmont San Francisco and Shang-Chi bought his own apartment. Shang-Chi became close with Chen's family during this time, often coming over to the Chen's apartment for breakfast before work.
In 2018, Shang-Chi survived the Snap. Despite the easy job, Shang-Chi and Chen disliked their job as being a valet workers, being bored of doing the same thing all of the time, and hoped to find another job. One day in 2024, Chen decided to take a resident's car for a joyride and pleaded with Shang-Chi to join her. Reluctantly, he went with her.
The next day, Shang-Chi went to the Chen Residence to have breakfast. While eating, Chen's grandmother asked him when he was going to marry her, and Chen and Shang-Chi, avoiding answering the question, left for the bus.
Facing The Past
Shang-Chi and Katy Chen rode on the bus and were soon confronted by Ten Rings agents. Startled by their presence, Shang-Chi tried to act dismissive until they hurt Chen, forcing him to fight back and reveal his martial arts skills to a very startled Chen. Shang-Chi swiftly knocked down three of the thugs unaware that Klev, a passenger, was recording the fight, he was then confronted by Razor Fist. Shang-Chi was forced on the defensive to avoid Razor Fist's blade which accidentally destroyed the bus' brakes and the bus driver was accidentally knocked unconscious and Shang-Chi ran to the driver's seat to drive the bus.
Chen took the driver's seat trying to steer the runaway bus while Shang-Chi continued to fend off Razor Fist. Shang Chi noticed the bus was about to be torn in half and formulated a plan to get rid of the assailants; he tricked Razor Fist into completely breaking the side of the bus he was on while the rest of the passengers moved to the front of the bus while Shang-Chi tossed the other Ten Rings agents off the bus. Shang-Chi finally instructed Chen to take a hard turn right causing the bus to finally break in half with Razor Fist in it while Shang-Chi jumped back to the front side. As Chen managed to stop the bus by slamming it into a garbage truck, Shang-Chi helped all the passengers exit the broken bus safely, but found out that his pendant had been snatched off his neck during the fight.
Trip to Macau
Shang-Chi returned to his apartment and began to pack a bag with his belongings, when Katy Chen arrived. Chen demanded he explain to her what occurred on the bus, but Shang-Chi told her he had no time and that he had to travel to China. However, Chen told him to wait for her at the airport, as she felt she needed to go with him. Shang-Chi then left his apartment and headed for the San Francisco airport. There he met Chen and while on the flight, explained to her his past and that his name wasn't Shaun, but Shang-Chi. After landing in Macau, they headed for the postcard's origin.
Shang-Chi and Katy Chen arrived at the Golden Daggers Club and were taken down an elevator, which seemed unstable. However, after they were dropped off, they were met by Jon Jon who eagerly welcomed them and showed them around the club. Jon Jon led them to the main cage where they watched Wong and the Abomination in a tournament. When Wong won the tournament, Shang-Chi and Chen went to see him in his chamber, but he left along with Abomination before they could speak. Jon Jon then announced that Shang-Chi would be the next contestant.
Shang-Chi was then instructed to take his shirt off and prepared for his opponent. However, when the opponent came into view, he realized that the opponent was Xu Xialing, his sister. Not wanting to fight her, he tried to explain why he was there, but she ignored him.
To his surprise, she demonstrated fighting skills that matched his, despite the fact that she never trained with him. Due to his being distracted and not wanting to fight her, she won the tournament and told him that she wasn't over the fact that he never returned for her years prior.
Shang-Chi followed Xu Xialing and tried to explain to her the reason he was there, but was interrupted when Katy Chen caught up with them. Shang-Chi then told Xialing that he received her postcard and that his pendant had been stolen and hers was in danger. She told him that she hadn't sent him a postcard, but before they could discuss this further, the Club was attacked by the Ten Rings agents. Jon Jon led Xialing to safety in an elevator, while Shang-Chi and Chen escaped through the window.
They found themselves on the supports of the building high above ground and carefully proceeded to walk across. When the agents caught up to them, Shang-Chi told Chen to continue as he fought them off. Some agents chased after Chen and caused her to lose her balance and fall off the building, but she was saved by Xialing.
As they were escaping, Shang-Chi spotted Death Dealer arriving via helicopter and told Xialing to take Chen to safety. He then engaged in a duel against Death Dealer, nearly managing to defeat him, until they were stopped when his father, Xu Wenwu, walked into the area with other agents who had Chen and Xialing in their custody. Wenwu told Death Dealer to stand down and expressed his delight in being reunited with his son, however, Shang-Chi didn't share the same feeling.
Reunion with Wenwu
Shang-Chi, Xu Xialing, and Katy Chen were taken onboard the helicopter and flown to the Ten Rings Headquarters. That night, Wenwu had a dinner made for Shang-Chi, Chen, and Xialing and sat with them at his dinner table. During the dinner, Wenwu told them about a terrorist who had mocked him with the name of Mandarin. Shang-Chi was asked to join Wenwu in his legacy but Shang-Chi refused.
After the dinner, Wenwu explained how he heard his wife's voice calling out to him and brought them to the Dragon statue where he placed the pendants. This unlocked a small gate that unleashed water that formed a visual of Ta Lo. Wenwu told them that he wanted to go inside Ta Lo in order to rescue his wife. Shang-Chi, along with the others, believed he was mentally unstable. Afterwards, Wenwu ordered Shang-Chi and Xialing to accompany him, but when they refused, he knocked them to the ground and ordered them to be imprisoned. He then had Chen taken into custody as well.
Shang-Chi, Katy Chen, and Xu Xialing found themselves in the prison and immediately heard a loud noise coming from somewhere within their containment. Shang-Chi and Chen went together to check it out and found a lit room with a mirror and a man sitting at a drawer. The man saw them and introduced himself as an actor named Trevor Slattery. Slattery told them what caused him to get there and why he was kept alive. Shang-Chi and Chen both were then startled when an unusual creature walked into the room. Slattery told them he was Morris and that he had come from Ta Lo. He then told them that Morris could help them get to Ta Lo, but that there was a low percentage of Morris remembering how too. They were then interrupted when Xialing broke into the room through a secret passageway and told them to follow her.
The passageway led to the Headquarters' garage and they decided to take Razor Fist's Car to escape. When they found the car, Slattery was already inside. Chen took the driver's seat, while Shang-Chi and Xialing filed in the back. As they were driving off, Ten Rings agents arrived to stop them. Shang-Chi jumped out of the car to fight them off, and was soon joined by Xialing. Together, they defeated the agents and hopped back inside the car as they made their escape.
Journey to Ta Lo
After making their escape, Trevor Slattery interpreted what Morris was saying and by morning, Katy Chen had driven them to the edge of the forest. While driving through the forest, Shang-Chi grew worried after the trees began to move unnaturally and soon the forest appeared to close in on them. Slattery continued giving Chen directions, and they made it to a safe spot, just as the forest did in fact close on them. Slattery then told Chen to drive them through a nearby portal and they were then transported into the alternate dimension of Ta Lo.
As Chen continued to drive them through Ta Lo, Shang-Chi observed mythical creatures such as Shishi, Fenghuang, Jiu Wei Hu, and Qilin. They then came to the end of the road at the Ancient Village. They were greeted by Ying Nan and other Ta Lo natives who recognized Shang-Chi and Xialing due to their mother.
Training with Ying Nan
Shang-Chi was then given clothes native to Ta Lo and after getting dressed, he wandered around the village and found Ying Nan practicing her fighting skills in one area. After she saw him watching her, she offered for him to learn how to fight like his mother did.
Ying Nan then demonstrated to Shang-Chi how to fight like his mother did, and afterwards, invited him to try. When he had difficulty, she joined in and aided him. Eventually, he was able to master the skill. That night, he sat by the lake and was joined by Katy Chen, who told him that she had been training with archery and asked how he was doing.
The next day, Shang-Chi, Katy Chen, and Xu Xialing were given new suits, while Ying Nan and the villagers prepared at the entrance to the Ancient Village. Xu Wenwu then arrived with Razor Fist, the Death Dealer, and the Ten Rings army. As Wenwu confronted the villagers, Ying told him that his wife was not behind the Dark Gates. Wenwu tried to persuade Shang-Chi, but Guang Bo ordered him to leave the village. Wenwu demanded that he gain passage to the Dark Gates, but instead, the villagers readied themselves for battle, seeing no other option, he had ordered his warriors to burn the village down.
As Wenwu made his way through, Xialing told Shang-Chi to go after their father, while the others fought the Ten Rings. Shang-Chi saw Wenwu walking towards his wife's memorial and ran after him. However, Razor Fist blocked Shang-Chi's path, swiping at him with his blade until Xialing kicked him aside. As Shang-Chi found his father, he approached him as they confronted each other. Wenwu threatened Shang-Chi, but Shang-Chi told him he wasn't afraid.
Pushing him aside, Wenwu taunted him as the two fought, eventually kicking Shang-Chi to the ground. Wenwu reprimanded him for his inactions to save his wife as Wenwu pushed Shang-Chi outside of the memorial. The two continued battling each other until Shang-Chi gained the upper hand using a pole, accusing Wenwu of choosing the rings over his mother. Knocking Wenwu down, Shang-Chi told him that his family needed him, but Wenwu used the rings to send Shang-Chi flying into the lake, leaving him in an unconscious state.
An unconscious Shang-Chi floated to the bottom of the lake. However, after regaining consciousness, he nearly drowned but was rescued by the Great Protector. The Great Protector made eye contact with him and lifted him out of the water. When they surfaced, Shang-Chi saw that Soul Eaters had been released from the Dark Gates and were attacking the Ancient Village. The Great Protector quickly killed some along the way as they made it over to the Village.
After the Great Protector dropped Shang-Chi off by the Dark Gates, Shang-Chi found his father and approached him. During their duel, Shang-Chi gets the upper hand and causes Wenwu to lose control of his rings. Shang-Chi then took possession of the rings and pleaded with his father to just be his father again, giving the rings back to him. However, they were interrupted when the Gates broke and the Dweller-in-Darkness was released. To Shang-Chi's distress, the Dweller captured Wenwu. In order to save Shang-Chi, Wenwu passed the rings on to him, sacrificing himself as the Dweller devoured his soul.
Shang-Chi was then rescued by Xialing and the Great Protector. However, the Dweller caught up to them and nearly killed the Great Protector, but Chen saved her using the bow and arrow. With Xialing and the Great Protector's help, Shang-Chi then used the rings to destroy the Dweller, ending the battle.
Aftermath of the Battle
Following this, the Great Protector took Shang-Chi and Xialing back to the Ancient Village. Shang-Chi was then met by Katy Chen, who ran over to hug him. That night, Ying Nan led the villagers in a lantern ceremony, detailing how those who have died will always be with them in spirit. As the villagers placed their lanterns by the water one by one, Chen rested on Shang-Chi's shoulders as he looked towards the lights and saw the Great Protector flying above them.
Recruited by Wong
Shang-Chi and Katy Chen returned to San Francisco and met their friends, Soo and John, at their favorite restaurant. While they were eating, they told their friends about their recent experiences, but Soo and John didn't believe them. However, an Inter-Dimensional Portal appeared behind them and Wong stepped out into the restaurant. He called for Shang-Chi and when Shang-Chi stood up, he told him and Chen to come with him, much to their friends and the rest of the public's amazement. Shang-Chi and Chen followed Wong and were transported to Kamar-Taj in Nepal.
There they met Carol Danvers and Bruce Banner via holographic call and Wong discussed the rings, telling Shang-Chi that after he used it, it sent out a beacon to a location unknown. Danvers reported that the rings weren't alien technology and Banner said they weren't vibranium and that they were far older than the thousand years for which Wenwu had been using them. Wong told them that whatever they were and whatever their origin was, it was nothing that had yet been documented in the sorcerers' archives.
With no clear knowledge of what the rings were capable of, Wong explained that he wanted to know where the location of the beacon went. Danvers suddenly had to leave to answer an alert, telling Shang-Chi it was nice to meet him. Banner welcomed Shang-Chi and Chen to their world of heroes before signing off also.
Wong then told them that their lives now had been changed and that there was no going back. He told them to get rest, but Shang-Chi suggested they go to a bar and sing karaoke. Shang-Chi and Chen then returned to San Francisco and were joined by Wong, who accompanied them to a bar where they sang karaoke to the Hotel California song.
Shang-Chi is an extremely calm, confident, fearless individual who is not afraid to step up to those who are supposedly above him, as shown by how he was not afraid of his father despite his imposing nature upon him. Despite being an incredibly trained martial artist thanks to his for father Shang-Chi seems to loathe violence to an extent fighting only to protect himself or others, he resisted against fighting the Ten Rings soldiers trying to take his pendant until one of them harmed Katy Chen and only fought Xu Xialing in an attempt to get her to listen to him and even then he fought noticeably to defend rather then attack which cost him to lose the match to Xialing.
Shang-Chi is shown to be an incredibly responsible, loving, and caring person who loves his family and friends, being willing to do anything for their happiness. He cares deeply about his family, no matter how they treat him, as shown by how he did not kill Xu Wenwu, despite how he continuously manipulated him for his own selfish motives. Shang-Chi has a certain aura of justice surrounding him as seen how he never wanted any innocent people to get hurt during the hijacking of the bus.
Shang-Chi was afraid of acknowledging his own past and accepting his mistakes. For the ten years that he lived in San Francisco under the name "Shaun", he would always avoid the topic of his past or his family and was ashamed to see his sister again after abandoning her. Even after being forced to reveal his past to Chen, Shang-Chi still omitted the fact that he did murder the Iron Gang Leader, and instead lied that he got cold feet and ran away from the mission. During his training with Ying-Nan, she pointed out that Shang-Chi was hesitant to use the same martial arts style that his mother used to defeat his father in the past. It was not until Shang-Chi's encounter with the Great Protector and witnessing Wenwu sacrifice his own life to give him the rings that Shang-Chi learned to stop running away from his true self and came to terms with his lineage, both the good and the bad of it.
Powers and Abilities
- Ten Rings Empowerment: The Ten Rings empowered Shang-Chi with a variety of superhuman abilities, including enhanced strength, durability, speed, and agility, the ability to manipulate the Rings' energy at will, and superhuman longevity. When used by Shang-Chi, the Rings glow golden rather than blue like when used by his father. During his time at Ta Lo, due to learn how to master his own innate energy at will, Shang-Chi has an enhanced mastery of the Rings that he frequently uses to his advantage during battle, even surpassing the original user of the Rings, his father, Xu Wenwu. The most prevalent example being when he used the full force of them to create an energy blast strong enough to kill the Dweller of Darkness.
- Superhuman Strength: When worn, the Ten Rings enhance the strength of one's physical attacks. The Rings enhance Shang-Chi's physical strength proportional to how many Rings he's carrying at once. When he fought his father, he was able to generate a shockwave by kicking him with some of the rings against his leg.
- Enhanced Durability: When worn, the Ten Rings cause one's durability to increase beyond peak-human capabilities.
- Enhanced Speed: Using the Ten Rings, Shang-Chi gains incredible level of speed, being able to outrun many of his enemies during the Battle of Ta Lo and even keep pace with the Great Protector.
- Enhanced Agility: To be added
- Enhanced Stamina: While wearing the Ten Rings, Shang-Chi could fight for extensive periods of time without tiring or needing to rest.
- Enhanced Reflexes: To be added
- Longevity: When worn, The Rings prevent their owner from aging, making Shang-Chi near-immortal. He is unable to die from natural causes. However, Shang-Chi can still be killed through other means.
- Weapon Summoning: As the owner of the Rings, Shang Chi can summon them any time as weapons to attack his opponents, being able to use them in several ways to attack his opponents. Shang-Chi can throw the Rings around to attack or destroy objects.
- Energy Manipulation: Shang-Chi can control the energy of the Rings for a variety of purposes such as throwing them as projectiles which then return to him, have the Rings hover in the air to use them as platforms, extend the Rings as chains to use them as an energy lasso, etc. By combining his abilities inherited from his mother with the power of the Rings, Shang-Chi was able to use all Ten Rings at once to create an energy blast powerful enough to kill the Dweller-in-Darkness. Shang-Chi has a higher level of control of the Ten Rings than Wenwu, due to his different fighting style.
- Energy Projection: Shang-Chi can create project energy through the use of the Ten Rings - leaving off an orange aura whilst using the Ten Rings.
- Force-Field Generation: Shang-Chi has the ability to manipulate the Ten Rings to act as a shield for him, through the use of their energy.
- Energy Blasts: Shang-Chi can also create powerful energy blasts through the use of the Ten Rings, being able to create one strong enough to kill the Dweller-in-Darkness. This is highly attributed due to his higher control of the Ten Rings than his father, Xu Wenwu.
- Energy Rope: Using the energy of the Ten Rings, Shang Chi can also use it as a rope as shown when he used the Ten Rings to hold onto Xu Xialing to prevent her from being grabbed by the Dweller-in-Darkness.
- Energy Whip: Shang-Chi can extend the Ten Rings as a whip, extending them in order to make giant leaps and attack opponents, as seen during the Battle of Ta Lo.
- Great Protector Empowerment: Shang-Chi briefly bonded with the Great Protector and gained access to a portion of her power in order to defeat Wenwu.
- Enhanced Strength: Through bonding with the Great Protector, Shang-Chi had enhanced strength, as seen in the Battle of Ta Lo he managed to fight with Xu Wenwu while being empowered by Ten Rings.
- Enhanced Durability: Through bonding with the great protector, Shang-Chi has enhanced durability, as seen by how he withstood multiple attacks from Wenwu's Ten Rings.
- Enhanced Speed: Through bonding with the great protector, Shang-Chi has incredible speed.
- Enhanced Agility: Shang-Chi gains incredible agility after bonding with the great protector.
- Enhanced Stamina: To be added
- Enhanced Reflexes: To be added
- Air Manipulation: As inherited from his mother, Shang-Chi can freely manipulate air and thus enhanced several physical attributes including strength, durability, speed and agility.
- Force-field Generation: Shang-Chi can create a barrier of air in order to evade attacks from his opponents.
- Air Blasts: Shang-Chi can generate powerful air blasts against his opponents.
- Hurricane Generation: Shang-Chi can use the Great protector's blessing to cause small but intense storms with high wind speeds.
- Master Martial Artist: Shang Chi is an extremely skilled and formidable hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist, having trained very harshly and extensively by his father and Death Dealer ever since he was a child, making him one of the most powerful and best fighters on the planet. His fighting style includes several styles of kung fu, such as Shaolin-style, Bajiquan, tai chi, Wing Chun and wushu, as well as taekwondo, muay Thai, silat, Krav Maga, jujutsu, and boxing. Shang-Chi was able to easily defeat unarmed several trained members of the Ten Rings simultaneously. He was even able to defeat his mentor Death Dealer, going toe-to-toe against him and even almost killing him if not for the intervention of his father. After training in Ta Lo for only a short period of time, he became skilled enough to face his father with help from his staff even when he was using the Ten Rings, at one point Shang-Chi even temporarily gained the upper hand and knocked him down with a kick, though he was ultimately no match for him. However, after fully understanding the fighting style of Ta Lo, he was finally able to go toe-to-toe with Wenwu and took half of the Ten Rings in the process. Then, he was able to compete with Wenwu in a fair hand-to-hand battle, evenly matched against Wenwu and even gaining the upper hand at times, ultimately ending the fight in a standstill. Shang-Chi also trained with all kinds of weapons since the age of seven.
- Staff Mastery: Shang-Chi is extremely skilled at using a staff in combat. He was able to put up a reasonable fight against his father for a while even when he was using the Ten Rings, fending off his attacks and launching his own, and being able to deflect the rings thrown at him as projectiles and even temporarily gain the upper hand, before he was ultimately defeated and his staff was broken. He could also improvise a broken bus pole against several assassins.
- Knife Mastery: Shang-Chi is extremely skilled at using a knife in combat. During his fight against Death Dealer, Shang-Chi was able to disarm him and use his knives to fight against him, going toe-to-toe against him and even almost killing him if not being intervened by Wenwu.
- Whip Mastery: Shang-Chi is extremely skilled at using a whip in combat, being able to use the Ten Rings to conjure an energy whip. He was able to evenly matched against Wenwu when they were both using the Ten Rings to conjure a whip during the Battle of Ta Lo.
- Rope Dart Mastery: Like his sister Xu Xialing, Shang-Chi is extremely skilled at using a rope dart in combat, often using them during his training. However, he is likely not as proficient as his sister in using it, as it is not his primary weapon.
- Sword Mastery: Shang-Chi is extremely skilled at using a sword in combat.
- Master Marksman: Shang-Chi is an extremely skilled marksman.
- Master Acrobat: Shang-Chi's years of training have made him an extremely skilled acrobat, gymnast, and aerialist, being able to fluidly dodge attacks from multiple directions using coordinated flips, twists, and sharp turns without losing balance. He often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes. He was able to use numerous complex acrobatic maneuvers with ease during the fight against many members of the Ten Rings, Razor Fist, Death Dealer and later the battle with Wenwu.
- Master Assassin: Shang-Chi is an extremely skilled assassin, being taught every possible way to kill people since he was seven, up until the age of fifteen. Shang-Chi accomplished the difficult task of being able to kill the Iron Gang's leader despite only being fourteen years old, after orders from his father. Further, through his immense skillset, Shang-Chi was able to defeat his former teacher, the Death Dealer, even after the former's attempts to kill him.
- Gifted Intellect: Shang-Chi has a gifted intellect as shown by his mastery of speaking four languages, being able to deduce when and how to turn the bus. Perhaps the biggest feat of his intellect was being able to deduce how to defeat his father Wenwu from mere memories from his mother, along with some training with his aunt, Ying Nan.
- Multilingualism: Shang-Chi is fluent in four languages, including his native Mandarin, as well as English.
- Ten Rings: After defeating his father Xu Wenwu in combat and proving his worth to him, Wenwu bequeathed the rings to Shang-Chi shortly before the Dweller-in-Darkness consumed his soul.
- Death Dealer's Daggers: Shang-Chi gained the poessesion of his former mentor's daggers after taking them away after his attempt of assasinating him.
- Dragon Scale Staff: Shang-Chi gained the poessesion of this staff by Ying Nan to prepare for the Battle of Ta Lo and used it against his father, notably deflecting the Ten Rings launched at him.
- Eye of the Dragon: It is an emerald pendant from one of two bestowed to Shang-Chi by his mother, Ying Li. While Ying Li was still raising Shang-Chi and Xialing, she gave one of the Eyes to Shang-Chi, reminding him of their family's legacy, while giving the other to his sister Xu Xialing. Together, the Eyes of the Dragon are capable of revealing the safe pathway of Ta Lo, though it could be only be shown after they are inserted into the dragon head bust. Shang-Chi's Eye was stolen by Wenwu's gang during the attack on the bus.
- Dragon Scale Armor: It is an incredibly durable armor made by dragon scales bestowed to him by his aunt, Ying Nan. At a point in time, Shang-Chi's went to Ta Lo and left this for him in her possession. Shang-Chi used this during the Battle of Ta Lo, to protect himself.
- Razor Fist's Car: Shang-Chi, along with Katy, Xialing, Trevor and Morris escaped the Ten Rings Headquarters and journeyed to Ta Lo by stealing Razor Fist's car.
- Ten Rings Headquarters: As the son of Wenwu, Shang-Chi has lived in the Ten Rings Headquarters. Currently it is owned by his sister, Xu Xialing.
- Fairmont San Francisco: Shang-Chi and Katy Chen took up jobs as valets at the hotel.
- Golden Daggers Club: Shang-Chi fought against his sister after mistakenly signing a contract on the elevator to the club.
- In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of Zheng Zu, and his name meant "the rising and advancing of the spirit." Shang-Chi became known for being the master of kung fu and a member of the Avengers.
- His surname is Xú (徐). His given name is "尚气" (Simplified Chinese) or "尚氣" (Traditional Chinese). The Hanyu Pinyin system romanizes it as "Shàng qì" (pronounced "Sh-ah-ng chee") in Mandarin and "Seung hei" in Cantonese. His given name can be translated to "the rising and advancing of the spirit."
- Shang-Chi's physical conditioning is similar to that of Iron Fist's training with the Order of the Crane Mother, as they were both repeatedly stricken with wooden poles.
Behind the Scenes
- Shang-Chi was considered by Marvel Studios to be introduced in The Avengers alongside the Mandarin.
- Ludi Lin, Steven Yeun, Mike Moh, Alex Landi, and Ross Butler were considered for the role of Shang-Chi, before Simu Liu was cast.
- Lewis Tan auditioned for the role of Shang-Chi, before Simu Liu was cast.
- Brandon Holam Lee and Jesse Turner were stunt doubles for Simu Liu in the role of Shang-Chi.
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Translates from Mandarin to: "You have the heart of our dragon."
- THE AVENGERS Nearly Included A Post-Credits Scene Introducing Shang-Chi And The Mandarin To The MCU