Xu Shang-Chi (Chinese: 徐尚氣) is the son of Xu Wenwu, the founder of the Ten Rings. Having been trained by the organization since childhood, he has become a master martial artist with skills that are unsurpassed by many.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Facing The Past
- 1.3 Recruited by Wong
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
Shang-Chi was born to Xu Wenwu and Ying Li. During his childhood, his mother would often tell Shang-Chi about how his father had been the wielder of the Ten Rings for thousands of years, how she and his father met, and the legend of the Ta Lo people and the Great Protector. One day, after his mother told these stories, while folding origami dragons, she gifted Shang-Chi a green pendant necklace, telling him that it could lead him home if he ever got lost.
The family led a happy life until a past rival of his father, the Iron Gang, attacked their home. While Jiang Li was teaching Shang-Chi the special martial arts style of the Ta Lo people, the Gang barged through the front gate. His mother sent him and his sister Xu Xialing inside, where they watched from a window as their mother killed the Iron Gang, but also died in the conflict. He then held his mother's body as his father returned home and saw the carnage.
Shang-Chi was present when Xu Wenwu decided to reclaim the Ten Rings and rebuild his gang. After learning of the identity of his mother's killers, Shang-Chi accompanied Wenwu to a bar, where Wenwu attacked and killed several Iron Gang members in an attempt to find their leader. Wenwu then told a traumatized Shang-Chi that "A blood debt must be paid in blood" before asking him if he wanted to join him in his quest to kill his mother's killer. Shang-Chi agreed.
After Ying Li's death, Shang-Chi's family life soured, with his father becoming distant due to his children reminding him of his lost wife. Shang-Chi was trained relentlessly between the ages 7 - 14 to become someone who couldn't be taken down by the best warriors. Shang-Chi was eager to please and would often exercise so hard his knuckles would bleed, and his father would take care of him. Shang-Chi trained well under the tutelage of Death Dealer, and eventually could beat over ten armed enemies at once.
At the age of fourteen, he was tasked by his father to finally avenge the murder of his mother. Before he left, Shang-Chi told his sister that he would be back in three days. After killing his target, agitated and enraged by the criminal world his father got him into, Shang-Chi escaped the Ten Rings and fled to the United States. He never returned for Xialing. While there, he moved to San Francisco, California, and changed his name to Shaun to ensure his father would be unable to track him, though he did not realize that he was already being tracked.
Meeting Katy Chen
After moving to San Francisco, he enrolled in school, and met his lifelong friend, Katy Chen. Shang-Chi was often bullied in school due to his Asian heritage, with people calling him "Gangnam Style" despite the fact that he was not Korean. Chen combated this bullying by randomly bursting into the song "Hotel California" as a distraction while she stole the bully's keys to his Ford Mustang. Chen, Shang-Chi, and another classmate named Soo took his Mustang on a joyride. Shang-Chi became close with Chen's family during this time, often coming over for breakfast before work.
In 2018, Shang-Chi survived the Snap, along with Chen. After they completed school, both Shang-Chi and Chen took jobs as valet workers for a hotel. Despite the easy job, Shang-Chi and Chen hated their job as being a valet workers, being bored of doing the same thing all of the time. One day in 2024, while having breakfast with Chen’s family, Chen's grandmother asked him when he was going to marry her.
Facing The Past
To be added
Trip to Macau
To be added
To be added
To be added
Reunion with Wenwu
To be added
To be added
Journey to Ta Lo
To be added
Training with Ying Nan
To be added
To be added
Recruited by Wong
Shang-Chi and Chen returned to San Francisco and met their friends, Soo and John, at their preferred restaurant. While they were eating, they told their friends about their recent experiences, but Soo and John didn't believe them. However, a portal appeared behind them and Wong stepped out into the restaurant. He called for Shang-Chi and told him and Chen to come with him, much to their friends and the rest of the public's amazement. Shang-Chi and Chen followed Wong and were transported to Kamar-Taj. There they met Carol Danvers and Bruce Banner via holographic call and Wong discussed the Ten Rings, telling Shang-Chi that after he used it, it sent out a beacon to a location unknown. Danvers reported that the Ten Rings weren't alien technology and Banner said they weren't vibranium. Wong said he didn't know anything about the origins either, but Banner said that they had been around for a vast amount of time. With no clear knowledge of what the Ten Rings were capable of, Wong explained that he wanted to know where the location of the beacon went. Danvers suddenly had to leave to answer an alert, telling Shang-Chi it was nice to meet him. Banner welcomed Shang-Chi and Chen to their world of heroes before signing off also. Wong then told them that their lives now had been changed and that there was no going back. He told them to get rest, but Chen suggested they go to a bar nearby and sing karaoke, in which the three did.
Shang-Chi is an extremely calm, confident, fearless individual who isn't afraid to step up to those who are supposedly above him, as shown by how he wasn't afraid of his father despite his imposing nature upon him. Despite being an incredibly trained martial artist thanks to his for father Shang-Chi seems to loathe violence to an extent fighting only to protect himself or others, he resisted against fighting the Ten Rings soldiers trying to take his pendant until one of them harmed Katy and only fought his sister in an attempt to get her to listen to him and even then he fought noticeably to defend rather then attack which cost him to lose the match to Xialing.
Shang-Chi is shown to be an incredibly responsible, loving, and caring person who loves his family and friends, being willing to do anything for their happiness. He cares deeply about his family, no matter how they treat him, as shown by how he didn't kill Wenwu, despite how he continuously manipulated him for his own selfish motives. Shang-Chi has a certain aura of justice surrounding him as seen how he never wanted any innocent people to get hurt during the hijacking of the bus.
Shang-Chi was afraid acknowledging his own past and accept his mistakes. For the ten years he lived in San Fransisco under the name "Shaun" he would always avoid the topic of his past or his family and was ashamed to see his sister again after abandoning her. Even after being forced to reveal his past to Katy Shang-Chi still omitted that he did murder the Iron Gang Leader, instead lying that he got cold feet and ran away the mission. During his training with Ying-Nan she pointed out that Shang-Chi was hesitant to use the same martial arts style that his mother used to defeat his father in the past. It wasn't until Shang-Chi's encounter with the Great Protector and witnessing Wenwu sacrifice his own life to give him the rings that Shang-Chi learned to stop running away from his true self and came to terms with his lineage both the good and the bad of it.
Powers and Abilities
- Air Manipulation: As inherited from his mother, Shang Chi can freely manipulate air and thus enhanced several physical attributes including strength, durability, speed and agility.
- Enhanced Strength: To be added
- Enhanced Durability: Through his mastery of aerokinesis, Shang-Chi has enhanced durability, as seen by how he withstood multiple attacks from Wenwu's 10 Rings.
- Enhanced Speed: Through his mastery of aerokinesis, Shang-Chi has incredible speed.
- Enhanced Agility: Shang-Chi gains incredible agility through his use of aerokinesis.
- Force-Field Generation: Shang-Chi can create a shield made out of air in order to evade attacks from his opponents.
- Air Blasts: Shang-Chi can generate powerful air blasts against his opponents.
- Ten Rings Empowerment: Shang-Chi is an immensely powerful being as the current master of the Ten Rings.
- Superhuman Strength: When worn on the wrist, the Ten Rings enhance the strength of one's physical attack. This directly correlates to how many Rings are worn, i.e. wearing all 10 on one's hand grants a stronger punch than simply 5.
- Enhanced Durability: When worn, the Ten Rings causes one's durability to increase beyond peak human capabilities.
- Enhanced Speed: Using the Ten Rings, Shang-Chi gains incredible levels of speed.
- Enhanced Agility: Using the Rings, one can shoot a Ring to break a fall or to cause a bigger leap, giving the wearer more agility than an average person.
- Longevity: When worn, the Ten Rings causes one to never age or die from natural causes. This makes the wearer near immortal.
- Energy Manipulation: Shang Chi used the rings to kill the Dweller in Darkness by summoning a giant explosion in its throat.
- Energy Projection: To be added
- Energy Whip: To be added
- Energy Blasts: To be added
- Master Martial Artist: As the son of Xu Wenwu, the leader of the Ten Rings, Shang Chi is an extremely skilled master hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist, making him one of the most dangerous and best fighters on the planet. Trained ever since he was a young child, his fighting skills allows him to easily defeat unarmed several trained members of the Ten Rings, even his mentor Death Dealer. His fighting style includes several styles of Kung Fu, such as Tai chi, Wing Chun and Wushu, as well as Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Silat, Krav Maga, Jujutsu, and Boxing. After training in Ta Lo for only a short period of time, he became skilled enough to face even his father with help from his staff, at one point knocking him down with a kick, though he was ultimately no match for him at first, and after fully understanding the fighting style of Ta Lo, he was finally able to compete with Wenwu in a fair hand-to-hand fight and even gain the upper hand at times, ultimately ending the fight in a standstill.
- Staff Mastery: Shang-Chi has displayed incredible skill in fighting with a staff, being able to put up a reasonable fight against his father for a while, fending off his attacks and launching his own and able to deflect the rings thrown at him as projectiles and even temporarily gain the upper hand, before he was ultimately defeated and his staff broken.
- Knife Mastery: To be added
- Whip Mastery: To be added
- Master Acrobat: To be added
- Multilingualism: Shang-Chi is fluent in four languages, including his native Chinese and English.
- Death Dealer's Daggers: To be added
- Dragon Scale Staff: To be added
- Ten Rings: After defeating his father Xu Wenwu in combat and proving his worth to him, Wenwu bequeathed the rings to Shang-Chi shortly before the Dweller-in-Darkness consumed his soul.
- Dragon Scale Armor: Shang-Chi's mother left this for him in her possession.
- Eye of the Dragon: To be added
- Razor Fist's Car: Shang-Chi, along with Katy, Xialing, Trevor and Morris escaped the Ten Rings Headquarters and journeyed to Ta Lo by stealing Razor Fist's car.
- Ten Rings Headquarters: To be added
- Fairmont San Francisco: Shang-Chi and Katy Chen took up jobs as valets at the hotel.
- Golden Daggers Club: Shang-Chi fought against his sister after mistakenly signing a contract on the elevator to the club.
- In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of Zheng Zu, and his name meant "the rising and advancing of the spirit." Shang-Chi became known for being the master of kung fu and a member of the Avengers.
- His surname is Xú (徐). His given name is "尚气" (Simplified Chinese) or "尚氣" (Traditional Chinese). The Hanyu Pinyin system romanizes it as "Shàng qì" (pronounced "Sh-ah-ng chee") in Mandarin and "Seung hei" in Cantonese.
- Shang-Chi's physical conditioning is similar to that of Iron Fist's training with the Order of the Crane Mother, as they were both repeatedly stricken with wooden poles.
Behind the Scenes
- Shang-Chi was considered by Marvel Studios to be introduced in The Avengers alongside the Mandarin.
- Ludi Lin, Steven Yeun, Mike Moh, Alex Landi, and Ross Butler were considered for the role of Shang-Chi, before Simu Liu was cast.
- Lewis Tan auditioned for the role of Shang-Chi, before Simu Liu was cast.
- Brandon Holam Lee and Jesse Turner were stunt doubles for Simu Liu in the role of Shang-Chi.