|For alternate versions of Sersi, see Sersi's Character Hub|
- "I didn't see the lies right in front of me. I'm not even sure why Ajak chose me to lead."
"I asked Gilgamesh once why he chose to protect me. He said, "When you love something, you protect it. It is the most natural thing in the world." You have loved these people since the day we arrived. So, there is no one better to lead us now than you."
- ―Sersi and Thena[src]
Sersi is the Prime Eternal, and the current leader of Earth's Eternals. Created in the World Forge by Arishem the Judge, she was sent to Earth to protect humanity from the Deviants. While on her mission, she grew a close relationship with Ikaris and eventually married him. By 2023, after Ikaris left her, she became a history professor at the Natural History Museum, and started a romantic relationship with Dane Whitman.
Following the occurrence of seismic earthquakes shaking the Earth and the resurfacing of the Deviants once again, Sersi, Sprite and Ikaris reassembled the Eternals. Discovering that Ajak was killed in a Deviant attack, she was chosen to be her successor as the Prime Eternal, after which she learned of her true purpose to incite the planet's Emergence and the birth of Tiamut the Communicator. Learning the planet and all humanity would die in the process, Sersi and the Eternals worked together to stop the Emergence, averting Earth's destruction. Disappointed with the sacrifice of Tiamut for mankind, Sersi was abducted alongside Kingo and Phastos by Arishem, so Earth could face judgement.
|This section requires expansion|
Sersi was built and programmed by Arishem the Judge, and was sent to multiple planets to protect and help evolve sentient life forms from the Deviants, powering a Celestial seed inside the planet, which would absorb the energy made from the sentient lifeforms. Eventually, the Emergence would occur, destroying the planet in the process. Upon finishing their mission, the Eternals would be sent back to the World Forge to have their memories erased and reset.
Arriving on Earth
Sersi and the rest of the Eternals were sent to Earth in an inactive state on the Domo. Once awoken, the Eternals were provided with suits to wear before arriving at the planet. During planetfall, Sersi admired the beauty of Earth, and then introduced herself to Ikaris. Not being one of the Eternals' main fighters, Sersi waited as the others fought Deviants menacing a primitive human tribe in Mesopotamia.
When the Deviants attacking the humans were defeated, Sersi disembarked from the Domo, and the Eternals presented themselves to the race they were assigned to protect. As a gesture of goodwill, Sersi picked up a flint knife, transformed it into a more durable blue and gold one, then handed it over to a local boy who recently lost his father to the Deviants.
Sersi took a liking to the humans; mingling with them, assisting them in little ways, learning their customs and languages to talk with them. While the more combat-oriented Eternals subdued Deviant threats to population centers Sersi helped the local women prepare food and used her powers to irrigate the land.
Sersi and Ikaris developed an attraction to each other in their thousands of years of service. They started being together circa 2900s BC. In 575 BC, following the defeat of Deviants around Babylon, Sersi indulged Ikaris' assistance in her humanitarian activities, albeit she was amused at his attempts at telling her how beautiful she was in Babylonian. Regardless, she liked him enough to spend the night with him, and they both expressed their love for each other.
Defeating the Deviants
In 1521 AD, the Eternals engaged Deviants in battle around Tenochtitlan. Phastos explained to Sersi that the beasts would be completely eradicated from Earth once they defeated them. However, a concurrent war between conquistadors and native mesoamericans caused Thena to go berserk. It was Sersi who first noticed something wrong with her, and she would have been fully stabbed had Makkari not raced her out of the way in time. She still injured her shoulder from a glancing strike from Thena's halberd, however.
The Eternals regrouped to a temple in the city to assess Thena's condition. They believed she had Mahd Wy'ry, which Sersi thought was a mythical disease. With the Deviants gone, Ajak advised the Eternals to split up and live a life among the humans until they're called together again, something Sersi took to heart.
Life on Earth
In the centuries away from her teammates, Sersi became acquainted with several historical figures, such as Charles Darwin. Sersi was the basis for Wendy Darling in J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, with the titular character alluded to be Ikaris. Ikaris and Sersi stayed together until the 1920s, when Ikaris left her for reasons he could not bear to tell her. She waited for her husband to return, but he never came back, so she moved on and had a relationship with a human named Dane Whitman. In 2018, due to being an artifical being and not biological, Sersi survived the Snap.
By 2023, Sersi was living in London with Sprite. During her job as a museum scientist and teacher, Sersi came across a billboard featuring artifacts that shaped human history, and she recognized the metal knife she gave to the Mesopotamian boy 7,000 years earlier prominently displayed. She took a picture of it before realizing she was late to work. Whitman filled in for her spot until she arrived, and she began teaching a class of children about apex predators. An earthquake occurred in the middle of the lesson, and Sersi instructed the kids to take refuge under their tables. She used her powers to turn a falling fossil into sand, assuring the girl beneath it that she was safe afterward.
Later that night, Sersi and Whitman celebrated the latter's birthday with friends at a bar. During a private moment outside the bar, Sersi gifted him with a ring that had his family crest dating back to the Middle Ages. Whitman asked Sersi to move in with him, and after considering it she declined. Sersi denied she was a wizard like Doctor Strange when Whitman guessed for reasons, because he observed weird things happening during their time together like his water turning to coffee in addition to Sprite telling stories about their past adventures. Sersi tried to downplay these, blaming Whitman's coffee addiction and claiming Ikaris was a "pilot" when Sprite told Dane Sersi's ex-boyfriend could fly. Sprite, who was lurking around the bar, interrupted them, claiming they need to go as it's way past her bedtime.
Return of the Deviants
Sersi couldn't move in yet with Dane Whitman because she was still working on revealing to him her and Sprite's true nature as Eternals. Sprite encouraged her to tell him already during the walk home, since he won't live forever like them. However, they were interrupted by a Deviant rising from the river and attacking them. Sersi screamed at Whitman to run, and delayed the Deviant by turning the concrete beneath it to quicksand and resolidifying it. When the Deviant broke free, Sersi ordered Sprite to keep Dane safe then ran away to divert the creature's attention.
Sersi attempted to face the Deviant alone, though she was joined by multiple illusions of her and Sprite on the scene. This temporarily confused the Deviant, though it eventually figured out where the real Eternals were. It knocked the real Sprite to the ground, and Sersi tried to rescue her, though fortunately Ikaris flew in on time and fought the Deviant. Ikaris and the Deviant collided with an incoming bus, forcing Sersi to turn it into a storm of petals and apologizing to the hassled occupants. Ikaris successfully chased the Deviant off, and in the aftermath Sersi awkwardly watched her ex-husband and current boyfriend meet each other for the first time.
When things quieted down, Sersi divulged her true nature as an Eternal to Whitman, and answered some of his follow-up questions regarding her team's non-interference, why they're still around, and what happened between her and Ikaris. Because of the resurgent Deviant threat, Sersi told Whitman she had to go and rejoined Ikaris and Sprite in the search for answers.
Back in her apartment, Sersi watched a WHiH World News report and figured the global earthquakes and Deviant threat must be related. Ikaris apologized for abandoning her, and promised to leave once he's assured that she's safe. Sersi set it aside and suggested they should go to Ajak first as she'll know what to do.
Chosen by Ajak
Sersi, Ikaris, and Sprite traveled to Ajak's Homestead in South Dakota to inform their leader what happened. However, they found her house empty, and Sersi found her corpse out in the back. Ajak's Celestial Communication Sphere rose from her chest and flew into Sersi when the latter was saying her goodbyes, causing Sersi to briefly communicate with Arishem, who told her it was almost time for something. Pressed by Sprite and Ikaris to confirm what happened, Sersi didn't know how to use the sphere properly and can't replicate the event, and Ikaris suggested she may have Mahd Wy'ry like Thena, causing Sersi to look sharply at him.
Reuniting the Eternals
The trio traveled to Mumbai next and witnessed Kingo shooting a Bollywood dance number for his movie Shaandar Dastan-e-Ikaris. Sersi in particular looked amused as she watched the whole scene, though she grew somber after it ended as they needed to tell Kingo about Ajak's death.
Aboard Kingo's Jet en route to Australia to retrieve Gilgamesh and Thena, Sersi was interviewed by the Bollywood star, who was making a documentary about the Eternals. Caught offguard because she was busy fiddling with her phone, Sersi listed the many times she turned rocks into other things before Kingo cut her off. Since they don't age she took a picture of Ikaris with an age filter app and showed it to him, thinking he looked quite good even as an old man.
Gilgamesh already slew a Deviant when Sersi and the others arrived to tell him about the recent happenings. She told him of the Deviant in London that Ikaris had difficulty killing. Sersi tried to approach Thena next, though Gilgamesh warned that she's unstable at the moment because of the attack.
Gilgamesh prepared a feast for his visitors. When the conversation shifted to the issue of Ajak's successor, Sersi excused herself from the table to get some air. She investigated Thena's artwork of ominous imagery produced during one of her episodes, and Gilgamesh told Sersi they were depictions of Centuri-Six, a planet where Thena supposedly lived before. Hearing massive global quakes wracked this planet before everyone there was killed, Sersi surmised the global quakes happening to Earth foretold the same disaster. As she wasn't able to use the Celestial Communication Sphere again despite numerous attempts to speak with Arishem, Gilgamesh advised her to relax and listen instead of forcing it.
Learning the Truth
Following Gilgamesh's words, Sersi cleared her mind and successfully initiated a lengthy audience with Arishem. She learned about the Eternals' true nature as synthetic beings sent to cull Arishem's failed experiments the Deviants while making sure the sentient population of Earth grows to trigger the Emergence of a new Celestial. She learned about the place of Celestials in the universe and the sacrifices that come with it. The revelations left her stunned and in tears.
Sharing what she learned with the group, Sersi opined that they had to stop the Emergence: innocents sacrificed for the greater good always turned out to be a mistake. She advocated for a solution where nobody died, like delaying Tiamut the Communicator's rise while the Eternals looked for ways to transport all humans offworld.
Druig's mind control powers seemed like a way forward for Sersi's preferred solution to the problem, so the group set out to his compound in the Amazon to retrieve him. While apprising Druig of recent events Sersi's cellphone rang loudly as Dane was trying to call her, forcing her to put it on silent. Druig was upset and needed time to think, so Sersi told the others to wait for him to come around.
Sersi finally put Dane Whitman on video call during the wait, and she tried to tell him the world was ending. Dane had too many questions about her role in history, like if she was involved in the stories of King Midas, Confucius, and Aristotle, so she just advised him to make amends with his estranged uncle. She lost the signal though, causing her to utter aloud that he's breaking up, at which Ikaris jokingly perked up to confirm what he heard.
Hearing her ex-husband's concerns for her if Arishem found out what they were trying to do, Sersi assured Ikaris she's not afraid of the consequences. She finally asked him why he abandoned her, and Ikaris was about to confess when a flying Deviant snatched him away.
The Deviants have begun attacking the Eternals at Druig's compound. Sersi herded the local humans to Druig's church and fortified the wooden structure by turning it to metal, though a Deviant's tail sent her flying to a house just as she finished. Sersi recovered and assisted Druig in fighting a beast by turning part of a tree trunk to water then turning the tree into metal, which crashed onto the Deviant. Druig was mind-controlling some humans to fire guns in unison at the Deviants, though Sersi convinced him to let them go.
Ikaris went back to assist the team at the camp, though he had trouble dealing with a Deviant that pinned him to the ground. Sersi transformed a tree branch to metal and stabbed the creature, though it retaliated by tossing her into a pool. The Deviant followed underwater, and in desperation Sersi tried to transmute it. Though she thought she could not transform sentient beings, her powers worked and the Deviant turned into a tree, surprising her.
The skirmish ended with most Deviants killed while Gilgamesh was fatally injured. Following a funeral for the fallen Eternal, Sersi approached Druig and convinced him to come with them again. Druig did not have enough power to subdue a Celestial, so Sersi suggested they need Phastos next for ideas.
Returning to the Domo
Sersi and Ikaris visited Phastos in Chicago to bring him in again to the fold. The duo became curious about Phastos' domestic life, and tried to observe him discreetly as he interacted with his son Jack Stoss. Phastos approached them in the living room, and they both scrambled to look innocent: Sersi grabbed a Star Wars coloring book, which Ikaris snatched away and pretended to read, forcing her to grab a mug. The technopath initially refused to help and claimed he doesn't use his powers anymore, so Ikaris tested it by using his eye beams at a door (it was shielded with Phastos' tech) and banging his fist on the table (it wasn't vibranium, so it broke). Sersi was surprised at both gestures, and Phastos rhetorically asked her how she was able to put up with her ex-husband's behavior for over 5,000 years. In the end, Phastos went with Sersi and Ikaris after some convincing from his husband Ben Stoss.
The Eternals went to Iraq next to retrieve the Domo so Phastos could use its lab to brainstorm a solution for the Emergence. He came up with the Uni-Mind which would allow Eternals to share their powers so one of them became strong enough to stop Tiamut. Makkari, who was already inside the ship when the Eternals boarded it, asked what happens if they succeed, and Sersi told her they should find humans a new home on another planet. Sprite was skeptical because of the time frame, though Sersi was hopeful it would go quicker with their help. Kingo had concerns about accidentally killing Tiamut the Communicator and asked Ikaris to vouch for him, though Ikaris deferred to Sersi's authority as Prime Eternal after Ajak.
While Phastos was finishing his designs, Sersi approached Ikaris outside the ship. She found him in the same spot where they first made love outside Babylon millennia ago. She knew Ikaris opposed their plan to stop the Emergence, but she tried to convince him Arishem's way of birthing Celestials was archaic and unnecessarily wasting lives. She resented having to start over and over without memories or free will, always arriving at the same violent end. Ikaris confessed he only wanted to remember their life together whatever happens to them after the Emergence, so Sersi held his hand in response.
Returning to the Domo, the Celestial Communication Sphere inside Sersi flared up, signalling to her that the Emergence had begun. She badgered Phastos how much longer would figuring out the Uni-Mind take. Later, she found Ikaris putting on his armor in advance, who ominously told her he wanted her to remain ignorant about the Emergence and he regretted Ajak choosing her as their leader. When he sabotaged Phastos' workplace, it dawned on Sersi that Ikaris already knew about the Emergence way before they reunited in London. He confirmed he already knew their true mission to Earth since after they left Babylon, and it was the main reason he abandoned her as he could not bear to tell her the truth. Reduced to tears, Sersi wondered why Ajak chose her instead of Ikaris, and could not believe that Ikaris had their leader killed.
Ikaris, Sprite, and Kingo (and his valet Karun Patel) left the ship. The former two would oppose the others and let the Emergence happen while Kingo didn't want to fight his family over it. Druig suggested they need a backup plan in case he failed, and pointed out Sersi can transform sentient beings now. She vehemently opposed the idea because using her powers would mean killing Tiamut, though Thena convinced her to reconsider, using her great love for humans as her motivation.
Phastos figured out they could use Sersi's communication sphere to facilitate the Uni-Mind, and Sersi allowed him to take it from her to build bracelets for the Eternals still around.
Stopping the Emergence
Using the Domo to travel to the Emergence point in the Indian Ocean, Sersi, Makkari, and Druig initiated the Uni-Mind near a volcano. Ikaris interrupted the process, took Druig out of commission, and damaged the Domo, causing it to crash. Sersi was in the way of the ship, so Makkari hastily carried her off. The Uni-Mind was initially successful, though without Druig the volcano began erupting again, forcing Sersi to transmute falling molten rocks in her way.
With no other options, Sersi decided to use her powers to stop Tiamut, and ordered Phastos, Makkari, and Thena to keep Ikaris busy. On the way to a vantage point near the volcano, Sprite conjured up an image of Ajak to talk to Sersi, telling her she's not powerful enough and she's not a killer. She was then stabbed in the back by Sprite, who ranted about her hidden jealousy of Sersi and all the things she missed because she was stuck in the body of a child. Fortunately Druig survived Ikaris' attack and knocked Sprite unconscious, though it still fell to Sersi to execute the backup plan as he could no longer put Tiamut to sleep. Sersi transformed Sprite's dagger to water and kept going.
When Tiamut had risen enough to expose parts of himself, Sersi began turning him to stone. Ikaris could no longer be delayed nor restrained, so he flew to her and attempted to kill her. However, he couldn't do it because he still loved her, allowing Sersi to trigger the Uni-Mind and complete the transmutation. All Eternals on-site joined the Uni-Mind, even Ikaris and Sprite and Tiamut himself.
In the aftermath, Sersi regenerated her suit and wounds where Sprite stabbed her. She accepted Ikaris' apology for his deeds, and watched him fly off to the sun to commit suicide. She then walked down to the beach to rejoin the other Eternals, and told Phastos how she was able to fully transform the Celestial. She still had some energy left from the link. She offered to turn Sprite human, though she warned her she'll no longer be immortal. Sprite accepted and touched Sersi's outstretched hand.
Taken by Arishem the Judge
Two weeks later, Sersi saw Sprite off to begin her new life as a human, and told her to visit often. She harbored no hard feelings for Sprite as she understood her reasons, and hugged her farewell. However, she confessed to Kingo she often wondered if killing Tiamut was the right thing to do, and he assured her they all followed their hearts for what they believed was right.
Sersi informed Dane Whitman of their adventures later, noting she still couldn't transform him into a giraffe unless she happened to be in a Uni-Mind again. Dane started telling her about his family history, though Sersi became petrified and unable to move except for her eyes. The clouds parted and Arishem had arrived over Earth, placing restraints on Sersi, Kingo, and Phastos, and flying them off the planet to the palm of his gigantic hand. Hearing their memories were to be analyzed and that Arishem would return to Earth to render judgement, the three could do nothing but dread what came next as their creator transported them all through a spatial distortion.
Sersi had a great love for humans so she often used her transmutation powers to protect them and help them advance. She took the time to mingle with them and understand their ways. She had a positive and highly sympathetic demeanor, though she tended to be low-key in her interactions with others.
Sersi had been in love with Ikaris for millennia. Their relationship ended when the Eternals developed conflicting ideals and went their separate ways, but nevertheless she helped him reunite the group for one last mission. She was on friendly terms with the rest of the Eternals, and held no grudges even against Sprite who coveted her ex-husband as she understood her resentments.
In the present day, Sersi became addicted to smartphones and would often be seen fidgeting with the gadget.
Powers and Abilities
- "Well, uh... I can change a rock into water. Uh, I could turn a rock into wood. Or a rock into metal. Actually, one time, I turned a rock into air."
- Eternal Physiology: By design from the Celestials, Sersi is an Eternal possessing superhuman strength, durability, speed, agility, stamina, reflexes, and healing, numerous times superior than any normal human being, as well as immortality and being able to manipulate cosmic energy to a certain degree.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all Eternals, Sersi possesses great superhuman strength, numerous times stronger than any normal human being. She was able to pierce a Deviant's side with an enhanced weapon, but has not demonstrated any other instances of increased strength.
- Superhuman Durability: Sersi's body is numerous times more resistant to physical and energy damage than any normal human being. During the battle in the Amazon Rainforest, Sersi was unharmed and experiences no injuries after being knocked aside by the tail of a large Deviant, which sends her flying into a wooden building which is destroyed in the process. She was also stabbed through the stomach with a knife by Sprite in an attempt to stop Sersi from ending the Emergence. Whilst this does initially disable Sersi, she appears to have suffered no repercussions from this injure and she soon joined the Uni-Mind.
- Superhuman Speed: Sersi can run and move at great superhuman speed, much faster than any normal human being.
- Superhuman Agility: Sersi naturally possesses far greater agility, equilibrium, flexibility, dexterity, balance, and body coordination than any normal human being. In an attempt to lure a Deviant away from Sprite and Dane Whitman, she jumped over a fence and scaled a wall with relative ease.
- Superhuman Stamina: Sersi's advanced musculature is considerably more efficient than any normal human being. As a result, her muscles virtually do not produce fatigue toxins during physical activity. Her endurance allows her to exercise her maximum capacity for an extremely long period of time without tiring at all. This is shown during the emergence when Sersi runs for miles towards the active volcano, with lava around her, without any sign of exhaustion from the immense heat around her.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Sersi can react and dodge objects traveling at high speeds, much quicker than any normal human being. During an "earthquake," she quickly transformed a shield-like artifact into sand before it could harm one of her students, transformed the pavement into sand before Kro could attack her, and turned a bus into rose petals before it could land on civilians. Most impressively, she turned a volcanic rock hurdling towards her into a flock of birds.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Sersi's metabolism enables her to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissue with far greater speed and efficiency than any normal human being.
- Immortality: As an Eternal, Sersi is genetically able to live forever, without dying due to old age or illnesses.
- Cosmic Energy Manipulation: By design of the Celestials, all Eternals are genetically capable of using cosmic energy. Each Eternal possesses a unique ability, all derived from the same cosmic power source. Sersi uses her cosmic energy to transmute matter, changing objects into different materials.
- Matter Transmutation: Sersi wields the power of matter transmutation, changing the makeup of any non-sentient material she touches. Upon her arrival on Earth, Sersi transformed a rustic knife into a more ornamented one and turned the earth into water to irrigate the plantations in the mountains. Sersi transformed a shield-like artifact into sand to save one of her students. During the fight against Kro in London, Sersi transformed the ground into sand and then returned it to its original form to trap the Deviant and later transformed a bus into rose petals. In the ambush in the Amazon Rainforest, to help Druig fight a Deviant, Sersi transformed first a tree into water and then into ice, making it heavier and dropping it on top of the Deviant. In the same battle, Sersi also transformed a wooden cabin into steel to protect the civilians inside and even a Deviant into a tree, a feat that surprised all of her fellow Eternals, as Sersi was only supposed to be able to transmute non-sentient materials. During Tiamut the Communicator's Emergence, Sersi transformed a volcanic rock into several birds that flew away, showing that she can manifest life from the lifeless and possibly vice-versa.
- Divine Communication: After becoming the new Prime Eternal, Sersi received the Celestial Communication Sphere from Ajak, allowing her to telepathically communicate directly with the Celestials, the architects of existence itself. However, she lost this power after Phastos extract the sphere from her to use it in the Uni-Mind's bracelets.
- Uni-Mind Energy Manipulation: The Eternals can harness their cosmic powers together to create the Uni-Mind, which amplifies their powers. After connecting with the cosmic energy and mind of the other Eternals, Sersi's powers was increased to the point she was able to transform Tiamut the Communicator, an all-powerful Celestial, into stone. Later, she also transformed Sprite into a normal human with the remaining Uni-Mind energy.
- Nigh-Omnipotence: When Tiamut joined the Uni-Mind, Sersi became immensely powerful with the near-omnipotent powers from the Celestial and the combined powers from the remaining Eternals. This briefly made Sersi slightly more powerful than a Celestial.
- Levitation: During the Uni-Mind, Sersi was able to float a few feet above the ground.
- Cosmic Healing: With the Uni-Mind energy, Sersi was able to heal herself from the injury of Sprite's knife.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Sersi has acquired several millennia worth of knowledge and has gradually helped guide humanity to prosperity. She is a former teacher for the prestigious Natural History Museum, where she gave a lesson on the importance of apex predators in a balanced ecosystem.
- Expert Scientist: Sersi worked as a museum scientist, and taught students about it.
- Expert Combatant: Sersi has spent several millennia fighting the Deviants and has become an expert combatant due to her years of experience.
- Multilingualism: Sersi is fluent in English, Babylonian, and sign language, using the latter to communicate with the deaf-mute Makkari.
To be added
- Celestial Armor: Sersi donned a green armor, equipped on her by the Domo. The armor was durable enough to withstand multiple blows during the fight with the Deviants.
- Celestial Communication Sphere: To be added
- Domo: Sersi and the rest of the Eternals boarded the Domo in order to arrive on Earth.
- Kingo's Jet: Sersi, along with the other Eternals boarded Kingo's private jet in order to find Gilgamesh, Thena, Druig, Phastos, and Makkari before the Emergence could begin.
To be added
- In the comics, Sersi is a member of the Eternals who became a member of the Avengers after Gilgamesh was wounded in battle. In her free time, she usually hangs out with New York's high society.
- Phastos refers to Sersi as "Sylvia" with his husband Ben: this is a reference to her human alias in the comics, "Sylvia Sersi" that she used while residing in New York.
Behind the Scenes
- Before Gemma Chan was cast as Sersi, Tatiana Maslany, Sofia Boutella and Marie Avgeropoulos were all considered for the role.
- Having previously portrayed the ill-fated Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel, Gemma Chan didn't expect to return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe until Kevin Feige approached her while promoting Crazy Rich Asians to play a new character in some further production, which ended up being Sersi in Eternals.
- Zoe Purdy and Ellette Craddock were stunt doubles for Gemma Chan in the role of Sersi.