Chan Ho Yin was a Hong Kong street magician who developed pyrokinetic powers, and under encouragement from Raina, he joined the Centipede Project, adopting the name Scorch. However, when he went rogue, he was subdued and killed by S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Melinda May.
- "Chan Ho Yin. Just a struggling street performer until a few years ago, when Mr. Chan began to exhibit moderate pyrokinetic abilities."
"So what gave him powers?"
"It's still under investigation, but Chan did live near the decommissioned Wan Tai Nuclear Plant when it caught fire."
- ―Phil Coulson and Leo Fitz
Placed on the Index
Recruited by Raina
In 2013, Chan was approached by a woman named Raina, who offered to increase his power and give him the fame that he craved. She suggested that he take the alias of "Scorch" to further his fame. However, Raina was just using him to further her own ends and the ends of her mysterious employers.
After being captured by Raina, Scorch was taken to a nearby lab, where he was injected with Extremis, a component to the Centipede Serum, by a doctor named Debbie. Extremis enhanced his abilities, and due to special heat-resistant platelets in his blood, he did not overheat or detonate like other users of the serum. Having gotten what they needed from him, Debbie ordered his blood be drained from his body in order for it to be replicated to stabilize the Extremis element of the Centipede Serum. A S.H.I.E.L.D. extraction team led by Quan Chen and Agent Phil Coulson came to rescue him.
Scorch was growing more mentally unstable by the minute (a side-effect of the serum as the same thing happened to Michael Peterson) and attacked the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, killing Quan by blasting a hole into him. Coulson attempted to shoot tranquilizer darts at him, but he vaporized them on approach. He then escaped from the lab. Upon confronting Debbie, Scorch incinerated her reducing her to ashes within seconds while Raina escaped.
Overload and Death
- "Mr. Yin, we don't want to hurt you... but we have to."
- ―Phil Coulson
Seeing no other option to subdue Scorch non-lethally, Coulson ordered Agent Melinda May to sneak up behind him when he was distracted and overdose him with Extremis, which caused him to overheat and detonate, killing him.
Powers and Abilities
- "You almost got scorched."
- Fire Manipulation: Chan Ho Yin had the power to create and manipulate small flames, usually using his powers as part of his street magic performances. However, the injection of the Centipede Serum greatly enhanced his powers, and using the codename "Scorch", he became able to create stronger burst of flames, powerful enough to burn a hole in a person's chest or burn another to ashes. He also used his powers in a defensive manner, creating a shield of flames around him that was able to melt the bullets shot at him.
- "The reason you don't burn is because your blood platelets are fire-resistant."
- ―Raina to Scorch
- Fire Immunity: Chan Ho Yin was immune to his own powers due to special heat-resistant platelets in his blood. However, after being injected with Centipede Serum, a Centipede scientist removed some of those platelets, resulting in him losing this immunity.
- "English isn't my first language."
- ―Chan Ho Yin
- Bilingualism: Chan Ho Yin spoke fluent Cantonese and English.
In chronological order:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- In the comics, there are many characters that use the "Scorch" codename. Among them are Tommy Ng, a pyrokinetic mutant; Ross Jonas, former Air Force Major mutated by adrenalin taken from Prime Skrull; and a former member of A.R.E.S.
Behind the Scenes
- Marvel.com originally listed the character as Renshu Tseng.