Sakaar is an artificial trash planet created by the Grandmaster in the Tayo star system, and is surrounded by numerous wormholes that deposit space waste. Sakaar is the homeworld of the Sakaarans and many other species stranded on the planet from different parts of the cosmos.
On Sakaar, time flows differently compared to most other worlds. This was shown when Loki was tossed onto Sakaar only seconds before Thor but arrived two weeks before Thor did, as well as the Grandmaster claiming that he would be "millions of years old" compared to the outside world.
Trapped on Sakaar
Following the Battle of Sokovia, Hulk took the Avengers' Quinjet and left Earth, flying into space and through a wormhole that caused him to crash land on Sakaar. Trapped on Sakaar, Hulk encountered the Grandmaster, who took a liking of his raging fighting skills. Soon, Hulk became the Grandmaster's new champion, fighting gladiators for the entertainment of thousands of Sakaarans acclaiming him.
When the Goddess of Death Hela returned from her banishment, she forcefully cast out her brothers Thor and Loki while on the Bifrost and they ended up on Sakaar. Loki arrived first and befriended with the Grandmaster while Thor only came weeks after his brother and was captured by Scrapper 142 to be sold to the Grandmaster, who sent Thor to fight in the Grand Arena with the other gladiators. There, Thor met and befriended Korg and Miek. He also had to fight against Hulk, who refused to return to his human form. Although Thor was on the cusp of defeating Hulk, the Grandmaster activated Thor's Obedience Disk so that he would lose the fight.
Thor met with Hulk in his apartment and after Valkyrie came to visit them, Thor stole the device controlling his Obedience Disk and tried to escape from Sakaar using the Quinjet which had brought Hulk. Although Hulk damaged the Quinjet, a video message from Black Widow had him turn into Bruce Banner. Thor and Banner then resolved to find a way to escape from Sakaar, going through festive crowds of aliens.
While the Grandmaster ordered the Sakaarans to find his missing champion, Valkyrie found Thor and Bruce Banner and took them to her apartment, where she had captured Loki after both of them were tasked by the Grandmaster to locate Hulk. Valkyrie agreed to help Thor fight Hela on Asgard, thus enacting the creation of the Revengers.
As they needed help to escape from Sakaar, Valkyrie went to find Korg in the Grand Arena and provided him with guns so he could start a revolution against the Grandmaster. While the Sakaaran Guards fought against the rebels, Thor stole the Commodore, the Grandmaster's leisure ship, after leaving Loki unconscious in the garage following another attempt of betrayal.
An intense pursuit in Sakaar's sky ensued as the Revengers were chased by the Sakaaran Guards. During the pursuit, the Warsong, Valkyrie's spacecraft, was destroyed, but she survived the blast and she and Thor destroyed several Sakaaran spaceships while Banner, flying the Commodore, accidentally caused the Grandmaster's song "It's My Birthday" to begin playing, which managed to get rid of Topaz, causing her to crash and explode. Thor and Valkyrie joined him on the Commodore and the three of them fled Sakaar through the Devil's Anus. Meanwhile, Loki was found by the Sakaaran rebels and quickly became their new leader, commandeering the Statesman and leaving Sakaar as well.
Having remained hidden on Sakaar, the Grandmaster was eventually found by rebels, although he tried to convince them that they should thank him as if it were not for him, they would have had nothing to rebel against.
Age of Ultron
- In the comics, Sakaar was near a single wormhole called the Great Portal. Hulk was exiled to Sakaar by the Illuminati, where he became a powerful gladiator and led an uprising against the Red King, the ruler of the planet.
- There is no vegetation on Sakaar, although different mushroom cultures grows on the waste plains.
- The buildings of Sakaar are made up of an assortment of scrap metals.
Behind the Scenes
- Taika Waititi stated that he wanted to evoke Jack Kirby's distinct art style in the buildings of Sakaar.
- Sakaar was almost featured in the post-credits scene of Captain Marvel, showing Yon-Rogg ending up on the planet through one of the many space wormholes across space.
- This Week's Cover: Thor gets a makeover in Ragnarok first look
- JACK KIRBY’S DESIGN INFLUENCE IS A FORCE IN 'THOR: RAGNAROK'
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Ragnarok production designer Dan Hennah explains how Hulk got to Sakaar
- What If...?: 1.08: What If... Ultron Won?
- Captain Marvel's Post-Credits Scene Was Almost a 'Thor: Ragnarok' Crossover