- "Shifted away from manned missions and refocused on robotics, nanotech, A.I. Sentient Weapons, like it says on the door."
"It also says 'Observation and Response' on that door, not 'Creation.'"
"World's not the same as you left it. Space is now full of unexpected threats."
- ―Tyler Hayward and Monica Rambeau[src]
The Sentient Weapon Observation and Response Division, better known by its acronym S.W.O.R.D., is an American extra-governmental intelligence agency.
The Foster Theory
In 2010, after Jane Foster formed the Foster Theory, in which she stated that a bridge that formed wormholes to other dimensions existed, S.W.O.R.D. granted Erik Selvig access to their databases, which he used to cross-reference astrophysical records provided by S.H.I.E.L.D..
Tyler Hayward's Command
Eventually, Tyler Hayward became the Acting Director of S.W.O.R.D., due to Monica Rambeau succumbing to cancer and passing away. Under Hayward's command, S.W.O.R.D. redirected their resources to robotics, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence. Hayward issued an order to launch the Project Cataract to find the way to reactivate Vision's body, recovered after the Battle of Wakanda.
Two weeks after the Blip, Wanda Maximoff arrived at the S.W.O.R.D. Headquarters, demanding S.W.O.R.D. to give her Vision's body, so he could have a proper funeral. Hayward personally took Maximoff to the laboratory and showed her Vision's body being dissected by S.W.O.R.D. scientists, noting that it was organization's legal and ethical obligation. Maximoff made her way to Vision's body, while Hayward called off S.W.O.R.D. agents who attempted to stop her, before leaving the facility.
Soon after recovering from the Blip, Monica Rambeau returned to S.W.O.R.D., and Tyler Hayward assigned her to assist the FBI in an investigation surrounding the mysterious disappearance of a Westview citizen who was in the Witness Protection Program. However, Rambeau ended up disappearing during the investigation, so S.W.O.R.D. and the United States Air Force assembled the research base outside Westview in response. S.W.O.R.D. brought Darcy Lewis, requesting her assistance in the anomaly research, and she managed to tap into the WandaVision, an illusion created by Wanda Maximoff which consumed the entire town, with its citizens and Rambeau.
S.W.O.R.D.'s attempts to research the anomaly closely by deploying a drone, establishing a communication to contact Maximoff, and sending Franklin into the anomaly, soon proved to be unsuccessful. However, Rambeau ended up being kicked out of the anomaly by Maximoff., so she gave S.W.O.R.D. an intel about her experience inside the anomaly. Hayward then claimed Maximoff to be the sole culprit of the Westview case, presenting an edited footage of her stealing Vision's corpse from the S.W.O.R.D. Headquarters.
Concluding that the anomaly was transforming the nature of anything that enters it to suit the appropriate time period, S.W.O.R.D. deployed a drone made in 1980s, and Hayward ordered to assassinate Maximoff. However, Maximoff destroyed the drone and hauled it outside of the anomaly, demanding S.W.O.R.D. to leave her alone, before using her telekinesis to make S.W.O.R.D. agents to aim their weapons at Hayward. In response, Hayward issued an order to take Maximoff down by any means to free the town from her spell, even if S.W.O.R.D. had to kill her. Hayward also ordered Rambeau, Lewis and Jimmy Woo off the base, after Rambeau suggested a peaceful approach, however, they were able to stay at the base and access S.W.O.R.D. database.
Later, S.W.O.R.D. detected that Vision reached the border of Westview and attempted to leave the anomaly, however, he started to crumble, since he was not able to exist outside of the anomaly. While Hayward and S.W.O.R.D. agents were observing the situation, Maximoff used her powers to extend the anomaly, transforming the S.W.O.R.D. base and the agents into the circus. Hayward then requested a backup and established a new base, preparing S.W.O.R.D. for invasion. Eventually, Hayward ordered to activate White Vision, using the sample of Maximoff's Chaos magic, and deploy him into the anomaly to kill her.
Planning on killing Maximoff and covering it with a false narrative, Hayward ordered to detain Woo, so the FBI would not interfere. While Maximoff was fighting against Agatha Harkness, and Vision was fighting White Vision, S.W.O.R.D. agents entered the anomaly which started to partially open. However, S.W.O.R.D. agents were disarmed by Tommy and Billy Maximoff, so Hayward attempted to shoot them himself, only to be stopped by Rambeau and Lewis. Eventually, after Maximoff defeated Harkness and dissolved the anomaly, the FBI assumed authority at the scene, taking Hayward into custody.
|Tyler Hayward||Acting Director||In Custody|
Equipment and Technology
S.W.O.R.D. personnel have access to an extensive array of technology at their disposal.
The following is a partial list of projects run by S.W.O.R.D.
- Cataract (2018-2023)
- Thor (mentioned; deleted scene)
- Season One
- Previously On (flashback)
- We Interrupt This Program
- On a Very Special Episode...
- All-New Halloween Spooktacular!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall
- Previously On
- The Series Finale
- Season One
- In the comics, S.W.O.R.D. stands for Sentient World Observation and Response Department and it is a subdivision of S.H.I.E.L.D. that deals with extraterrestrial threats to world security.
- In the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode Orientation Part One, Yo-Yo Rodriguez made an allusion to S.W.O.R.D., asking Phil Coulson if S.H.I.E.L.D. had a space division called "S.P.E.A.R.".
Behind the Scenes
- S.W.O.R.D. was co-created for the comics by The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron writer and director Joss Whedon.
- There were plans to introduce S.W.O.R.D. in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but the idea was shut down by Marvel Studios.
- WandaVision director Matt Shakman stated that to include S.W.O.R.D. in the show, the crew looked at Cape Canaveral and at the history of space agencies. They then worked with production designer Mark Worthington to design the agency. Shakman also opined that S.W.O.R.D. is the right agency to investigate radioactive anomalies and that they are used to going to foreign planets.
- WandaVision: 1.04: We Interrupt This Program
- Thor Deleted Scene
- WandaVision: 1.05: On a Very Special Episode...
- WandaVision: 1.08: Previously On
- WandaVision: 1.06: All-New Halloween Spooktacular!
- WandaVision: 1.07: Breaking the Fourth Wall
- WandaVision: 1.09: The Series Finale
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Series Finale Mystery: Is 'Spoiler' Now an Agent of S.W.O.R.D.?
- How WandaVision Director Made SWORD Different To SHIELD