- "If I had my powers..."
"I can't give you those, but I can give you something else. Something that'll make all the pain go away."
"You have no idea what that even..."
"Lincoln Campbell? Think of it. You can live a peaceful life, have kids, grow old together. With no memory of what has happened here or there. No regrets. Just each other."
- ―Daisy Johnson and Aida[src]
In the Framework, Leo Fitz's one regret was never making amends with his father, and with that removed, his father molded him into a callous man who should not indulge in doubt or worry, as they are feminine nonsense and have no place in his head. As Fitz conducts an investigation into the spy in HYDRA, he finds himself questioning his choice to kill Agnes Kitsworth back in Ogygia.
After Fitz "interrogates" Daisy Johnson, Aida asks him to leave. All alone, Aida tells Johnson that if she simply divulges where the others are, she can make Lincoln Campbell return and the two of them can live a life together in peace, which Daisy refuses knowing it would never be the real Campbell. Through the vents in their holding cells, Daisy learns from Holden Radcliffe that Fitz killed Kitsworth. Johnson, in shock, can't believe such a thing about her friend until Radcliffe explains that one sentence in Fitz's altered timeline in the Framework changed the developmental course of his character. As a way of revenge for killing Kitsworth, Radcliffe tells Johnson of a backdoor he installed to escape the Framework that Aida is unable to disable, though she likely has it guarded.
Jemma Simmons informs Patriot that he is in fact in a simulated reality generated by Aida to rewrite his sense of reality. Grant Ward, uncertain if Simmons is mentally ill, keep a watch on her and apologizes for whatever his counterpart may have done. Alphonso Mackenzie, having joined the S.H.I.E.L.D. resistance gets intel on a repurposed radio which Mace and Phil Coulson use to infiltrate a HYDRA "Enlightenment Camp" to free Antoine Triplett.
They are tracked there by Melinda May, who uses a super serum to fight Mace, but it wears off. Coulson attempts to save Chris Adler, who he sees being held in a nearby brainwashing center, and Mace follows him into the building to help. May authorizes a Quinjet to shoot down the building, and May enters the rubble to ensure that Mace is dead. She finds him stopping debris from crushing the student, with Coulson and Triplett helping other children escape the building. May is horrified to find children being victimized by HYDRA, while they are undergoing the Faustus method. With the others evacuated to safety, Mace dies while attempting to hold up the crumbling debris, killing him in the real world as well.
May realizes too late that in serving HYDRA to make up for the tragedy at Cambridge, she became a blind tool of an oppressive force and allowed a true hero to die. Turning on HYDRA, May sneaks a Terrigen crystal to Johnson, so she can gain her Inhuman abilities within the Framework.
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Henry Simmons as Alphonso Mackenzie
- John Hannah as Holden Radcliffe
- David O'Hara as Alistair Fitz
- Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward
- Mallory Jansen as Aida/Madame Hydra
- B.J. Britt as Agent Antoine Triplett
- Jordan Rivera as Hope Mackenzie
- Adam Kulbersh as Kenneth Turgeon
- Jason O'Mara as Jeffrey Mace/Patriot
- Patrick Cavanaugh as Agent Burrows
- Taj Speights as Burnell
- Skyler James as Chris Adler
- Beau Bonness as HYDRA Gate Guard
- Christopher Showerman as HYDRA Soldier
- Playground (Framework)
- Triskelion (Framework)
- HYDRA Enlightenment Cultivation Center (Framework)
- Ivanov Oil Platform
- Maveth (mentioned)
- Infiltration into the HYDRA Enlightenment Cultivation Center
- Rescue in Bahrain (Framework; mentioned)
- Cambridge Incident (indirectly mentioned)
- Assassination of Agnes Kitsworth (mentioned)
- War on HYDRA (mentioned)
- Battle of Maveth (mentioned)
- Trail of Tears (mentioned)
- The Holocaust (mentioned)
- Patriot Suit (Framework)
- Faustus (Framework)
- Project Looking Glass (mentioned)
- HYDRA Super-Serum (Framework)
- Terrigen Crystals (Framework)
- Phil Coulson's Prosthetic Hand
- Backscatter X-Ray Eye Implant
- The Bakshi Report (mentioned)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. (Framework)
- HYDRA (Framework)
- Howling Commandos (Framework; mentioned)
- HYDRA (mentioned)
- Agnes Kitsworth
- Jeffrey Mace's Father
- Mrs. Fitz
- Antoine Triplett's Grandfather
- Daniel Whitehall (Framework)
- Grant Ward
- Lincoln Campbell
- Skye (Framework)
- Sunil Bakshi (Framework)
- John Horton (Framework)
- Katya Belyakov (Framework)
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- During the commercials before the credits of the episode, advertising of L'Oreal Hydra Genius Liquid Care, a blue liquid soap, was aired.