- "Nate, mayo or mustard?"
"How 'bout ketchup."
- ―Laura Barton and Nathaniel Barton
Nathaniel Pietro "Nate" Barton is the third child of Clint and Laura Barton. His first name is the masculine form of Natasha, after Natasha Romanoff, while his middle name is a homage to Pietro Maximoff.
When Clint and Laura Barton decided to have a third child, they decided to name it Natasha, after their good friend Natasha Romanoff. However, they would soon discover that the gender of the baby would be a boy and change the name to Nathaniel. When the Avengers arrived at Clint Barton's Homestead, Laura informed Natasha of this situation, causing her to jokingly call the unborn child a traitor.
Shortly before Nathaniel was born, his father retired from the Avengers to live with him and his family, as with another child, Clint needed to help out a soon-to-be outnumbered Laura. They also decided to have his middle name be Pietro after Pietro Maximoff, who sacrificed his life for Clint during the battle. Soon after, Nathaniel would be born and the Bartons sent a Skype video to Natasha to show off their newborn as she worked at the New Avengers Facility.
- "Good throw, kiddo."
- ―Laura Barton to Nathaniel Barton
In 2018 while his family was having a picnic outside their homestead, Nathaniel became one of the trillions killed by Thanos' Snap, alongside his mother, brother, and sister. Clint Barton lost his whole family, and in his grief turned to violent vigilantism.
- Paternal Grandfather †
- Edith Barton † - Paternal Grandmother
- Clint Barton - Father
- Laura Barton - Mother
- Cooper Barton - Brother
- Lila Barton - Sister
- Thanos † - Killer
|Appearances for Nathaniel Barton|
|In chronological order:|
- In the Ultimate Marvel comics, Clint and Laura Barton's younger son is named Lewis Barton. His mother, his siblings and himself were murdered by a black ops team that was led in Barton's home by Black Widow.
- As of Avengers: Endgame, Barton is now named after two people who have sacrificed themselves for Hawkeye.