Morag is an oceanic planet located in the Andromeda Galaxy at the Eclipsing Binary Star M31V J00443799+4129236. Some inhabitants of this planet were the rodent-like Orloni and aquatic crocodile-like creatures.
Thousands of years ago, Morag was the home of an advanced and flourishing civilization, that was wiped out by a global warming catastrophe. Sometime prior to their demise, the inhabitants of Morag built a temple to guard the Orb, an artifact that contained an Infinity Stone. Following the warming, Morag became entirely covered in oceans. However, every three hundred years, the sea lowers and the Temple is made accessible.
In 2014, Star-Lord landed on Morag and entered the Temple Vault. He obtained the Orb, but was immediately surrounded by Korath the Pursuer and two others. After identifying himself, Star-Lord ducked as Korath fired upon him, destroying a temple wall. Star-Lord activated his helmet and quickly exited the Temple Vault with Korath and his men in pursuit. Star-Lord raced to the Milano and took off. Korath and the Sakaarans fired on the Milano but Quill dodged the blast and left the planet. Shortly after Quill left, Yondu Udonta came for the Orb, only to find it and Quill gone.
In 2023, War Machine, Nebula, Black Widow, and Hawkeye travel to Morag in 2014. Black Widow and Hawkeye then left and went to Vormir. While War Machine and Nebula knocked out Star-Lord and went on to steal the Orb. After acquiring it, War Machine traveled back to 2023, but Nebula was hijacked by Thanos and she was stuck on Morag until he picked her up onto Sanctuary II.
- In the comics, Morag IV is a remote planet whose barren surface played host to a throw down between Quasar and Moondragon against the Super-Adaptoid and the Phalanx.
Behind the Scenes
- In the original short storyboard that James Gunn used to pitch himself as director for Guardians of the Galaxy, Morag was originally referred as "Mazar".
- The Binary Star System where Morag is located really exists. It has been discovered in 2005, and it was used to calculate the distance of the Andromeda Galaxy from Earth.
- The first draft of Avengers: Endgame had the Avengers retrieving the Power Stone from Morag long before the Quest for the Orb, back when Morag was actually flooded. Anthony Russo later noted that the sequence may have involved a "giant sea eel" and that it was an early idea.
- ↑ James Gunn's Commentary on "Guardians of the Galaxy"
- ↑ Guardians of the Galaxy
- ↑ Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ From Hala To Xander: Mapping Out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
- ↑ James Gunn's Facebook
- ↑ First Determination of the Distance and Fundamental Properties of an Eclipsing Binary in The Andromeda Galaxy
- ↑ ‘Avengers: Endgame’: The Screenwriters Answer Every Question You Might Have
- ↑ AVENGERS: ENDGAME Directors On Deleted Scenes, Quicksilver Rumors, Why Bucky Isn't Captain America, More