Melina Vostokoff (Russian: Мелина Востоков) is a scientist and a Red Room operative who has been through the Black Widow program four times, as well as the adoptive mother of Natasha Romanoff and Yelena Belova. While working for Dreykov, Vostokoff helped him develop a brainwashing mechanism that he used on Black Widows after Romanoff's defection. After reuniting with Romanoff, Belova, and Alexei Shostakov, Vostokoff joined them in their mission to liberate the Widows and terminate the Red Room once and for all.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
Red Room Assassin
Black Widow Training
At some time, Melina Vostokoff was taken from her home and raised in the Red Room to become a member of the Black Widows. Vostokoff was recycled four times to become a full fledged killer, all prior to 1984.
In 1992, Vostokoff went undercover with Alexei Shostakov, who was Dreykov's business partner to steal data from S.H.I.E.L.D. in Ohio in the United States of America. To make their cover more plausible, they adopted two girls named Natasha Romanoff and Yelena Belova, and raised them as their daughters. For three years, they lived a double life until the mission was successful in 1995. Vostokoff and Shostakov wanted to defect but they were soon found by S.H.I.E.L.D. and local police, which forced them to leave Ohio.
After getting on a plane, Vostokoff was shot and injured badly. When the plane landed in Cuba, she was taken away to receive medical attention. During this time, Romanoff and Belova were taken to be trained in the Red Room Academy as Black Widows. Sometime later, Vostokoff went off the grid and settled in a farm near Saint Petersburg.
Reunion with her Family
In 2016, Vostokoff was reunited with Alexei Shostakov, Natasha Romanoff, and Yelena Belova in Saint Petersburg, after her sensors detected movement in her perimeter. Inviting them inside, she admired Shostakov when he tried on his Red Guardian uniform and told them about her mind control experiment. To demonstrate, she showed them Alexei, her pet pig that she could control.
Making a Plan
She then put a plan in motion with Natasha Romanoff to destroy the Red Room. Vostokoff and Romanoff swapped clothes and used Photostatic Veils to disguise themselves. When the Black Widows arrived, Vostokoff pretended to be unconscious and was taken up in their aircraft.
Vostokoff then attempted to hack into the system to give directions to Yelena Belova to use the vents to disperse the Red Dust to cure the mind-controlled Black Widows. However, this failed as Dreykov locked her out of the system and quarantined her. Staying in touch with Yelena, she escapes via a vent and ends up cornered over one of the engines. Surrendering at first, she then used her grenade launcher to shoot debris into the propeller, destroying the engine and sending the Red Room into a controlled crash. Vostokoff informed Yelena that there was little time left and that she needed to free the Widows as quick as possible before coming to Shostakov's aid, launching Taskmaster into a cell and locking it up. She then piloted the plane away as the Red Room exploded.
Family Split Apart
After landing on the ground, Vostokoff and Alexei Shostakov reunited with Natasha Romanoff and Yelena Belova. The four shared a moment together, but Romanoff then alerted them to Thaddeus Ross who had found them. Vostokoff, along with the other two, wanted to stay to fight but was persuaded by Romanoff to leave and that everything would be okay. Vostokoff then left with the newly liberated Black Widows on their aircraft.
Melina is shown to be very compassionate and sweet to others such as Yelena Belova or Natasha Romanoff when she and Alexei Shostakov were looking after them while trying to access data from S.H.I.E.L.D. She has also show signs of loyalty to the "Family" and towards the Red Room and Dreykov, having served under them for a long time, but was willing to listen and be persuaded by Natasha that Dreykov needed to be killed.
- Master Martial Artist: Vostokoff is an extremely skilled and formidable hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist, having gone through the Red Room training process four times. She was able to dispatch the soldiers in the Red Room with ease, even able to use a typical head-scissor throw to catch Taskmaster off guard and fling her into a cell, whereas Natasha failed to subdue her with the same technique.
- Master Marksman: As a Black Widow, Vostokoff is highly skilled and well-trained in the use of firearms. She is proficient with sniper rifles, as she prepared to take down the people approaching her farm, until she realized they were her surrogate family. She later easily used a rifle's grenade launcher to demolish one of the Red Room aerial facility's engines.
- Master Acrobat: As a Black Widow, Vostokoff is highly skilled in incorporating gymnastics and acrobatics into her fighting style as she battles opponents, such as when she used a head-scissor throw to force Taskmaster into a holding cell.
- Master Spy: Vostokoff is a highly skilled spy, being able to go undercover in the United States of America, and pretend to be Alexei Shostakov's wife and the mother of Natasha Romanoff and Yelena Belova perfectly for three years without arousing suspicion. She was able to deceive Romanoff, Belova and Shostakov and set them up to get captured by the Red Room before she turned sides.
- Master Assassin: Vostokoff is a highly skilled assassin. She has been indoctrinated by the Red Room four times to become an elite assassin.
- Master Scientist: Vostokoff was able to make a chemical that could control pigs' minds, which was employed by Dreykov as a way to ensure the loyalty of his Widows. She demonstrated knowledge in entomology and chemistry when she identified a species of fireflies and explained the concept of bioluminescence to a young Yelena.
- Expert Engineer: Vostokoff is highly skilled at engineering, claiming to have designed the holding cells of the Red Room Academy herself.
- Expert Tactician: According to Shostakov, Vostokoff is a skilled tactician who is able to make strategies on the fly and adapt to different situations.
- Pilot: Vostokoff is able to fly a plane, and was the designated pilot in their escape plan. She later taught a young Romanoff how to fly it to escape. When infiltrating to destroy the Red Room, Vostokoff was able to fly a jet after the Red Room's destruction.
- Bilingualism: Vostokoff is fluent in her native Russian, as well as English.
- Black Widow's Batons: To be added
- Black Widow's Bite: To be added
- Kimber K6s CDP: Vostokoff put a revolver in her purse before leaving Ohio.
- CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1: Vostokoff used a rifle fitted with a grenade launcher during the Destruction of the Red Room to demolish one of the facility's engines.
- Blaser R93 Tactical: Vostokoff armed herself with a sniper rifle when people approached her farm, but lowered her sights when she recognized them as her surrogate family and returned the rifle to her hidden armory.
- Uniform: To be added
- Winter Uniform: To be added
- Helicopter: To be added
- Red Room Academy: To be added
- Family Temporary House: To be added
- Melina Vostokoff's Homestead: To be added
- In the comics, Melina Vostokoff is an agent of the Russian Government who eventually left Russia to become a freelance mercenary and assassin, codenamed Iron Maiden.
- Melina enjoys caviar and champagne.
Behind the Scenes
- Lucy Cork, Nicole Reddinger and Katie O'Donovan were stunt doubles for Rachel Weisz in the role of Melina Vostokoff.
- Laura Hydari was a stand-in for Rachel Weisz in the role of Melina Vostokoff.
- Nina Jalava was a stand-in and a photo double for Rachel Weisz in the role of Melina Vostokoff.