May Parker met and married Ben Parker and the two would come to look after their young and orphaned nephew, Peter Parker. The three lived in Queens as Peter grew up and eventually her husband died, resulting in May to look after Peter as he grew up.
Peter Parker's Secrets
Tony Stark's Surprise Visit
- "But you didn't tell me anything. What's up with that? You keeping secrets from me now?"
"I just know how much you love surprises so I thought I would let you know..."
- ―May Parker and Peter Parker
May was greeted by Tony Stark at Parker Residence. He told her that he had offered Peter a scholarship. Before Peter came back to her apartment, the two were seemingly into a discussion, with Stark complimenting May on her walnut date loaves. When Peter got home from school, May asked him why he did not tell her about the scholarship. Peter, knowing he did not apply for a scholarship and did not receive one, played along until he and Stark decided to discuss everything in private.
Caring for Peter
- "What's the matter, I thought you loved larb? Too much larb? Not larby enough. Okay, how many times do I have to say larb to get you to talk to me? You know I "larb" you."
- ―May Parker to Peter Parker
Two months later, May let Ned Leeds, a friend of Peter Parker's, into his room so he could build his Lego Death Star with Peter. A few minutes later, May heard a crash and asked what it was, to which Peter replied was nothing. She came by the room, to find Peter in his underwear and Leeds' Lego scattered over the floor. She invited the two to a Thai restaurant, which Peter accepted but told May that Leeds was unable to go. May told Peter to perhaps put on some clothes before they went out.
At the restaurant, May commented on how Peter had barely touched his food. Seeing that her nephew was distracted, she turned around and saw on the television, footage of the Robbery at Queens Community Bank. May told Peter to run for safety if he ever sees something like that happening. A waiter then gave her an extra helping of food, which surprised May as she did not order it. The waiter insisted that it was on the house, and once he left Peter pointed out that he had given it to her out of sheer physical attraction.
- "Oh, Peter. I know. I know its really hard trying to fit in with all the changes your body is going through. It's flowering now."
- ―May Parker and Peter Parker
A few nights later, May dropped Peter Parker and Ned Leeds off at Liz Toomes' party. May complemented Leeds' hat, saying that she finds it well fitted for him. Leeds responded with a thanks and claimed that the hat gave him confidence. Peter was nervous as he thinks that it was a mistake coming to the party. May tells him that it was okay to be nervous. Before the two got out of the car, May tells Peter to have fun at the party as Leeds waves bye as she drives away.
Having received a call from the Midtown School of Science and Technology about Peter Parker attempting to skip school and leaving detention early, May waited for Peter to come home so she could talk to him. When Peter came home, she confronted him, informing him that she knew of his absence from school and his sneaking out of the Parker Residence. She offered to help him with whatever he needed, only that he had to tell her what was going on. Peter confessed that he had lost the Internship at Stark Industries. May comforted Peter and told him that she was there for him.
- "May! I need your help!"
- ―Peter Parker to May Parker
Several days later, Peter Parker ran into their house and told May that he needed her help in preparing for the Homecoming Dance, as he had got a date with Liz Toomes. May helped Peter out, giving him a suit to wear, a corsage and teaching him how to tie a Windsor Knot. On the night of the dance, May dropped Peter off at the Toomes Residence after giving some final advice.
- "What the fu—"
- ―May Parker to Peter Parker
- "You know, It's so hard for me to believe that she is someone's aunt."
"Yeah, we come in all shapes and sizes, you know."
- ―Tony Stark and May Parker
May cares much for her nephew Peter having to raise him alone after the death of her husband, constantly worrying about him as well as giving him advice, including that she believed Tony Stark's "internship" may not be the best thing for him, as she is not a fan of Stark and that it left him distracted and tired, which took away from his school life. May has been described as being very attractive by both Stark and Mr. Delmar, and is further evident when a server at a Thai restaurant winked at her and gave her free food.
- Parker Residence: The Parker Residence is the apartment home to May Parker and her nephew, Peter. When Tony Stark is required to bring Captain America and his team in to custody, he tells May that Peter has applied for "grant" and is going to Germany. After Spider-Man's battle at the airport with the Avengers, May tended to Peter's bruise in his room. When Peter returned back into the residence, Peter then discovered that Stark had returned his suit. Spider-Man put on the suit again, but May shockingly discovered him on the suit.
|Appearances for May Parker|
In chronological order:
- Differently from the comics, May Parker is Italian-American, like the actress Marisa Tomei who portrays her.
Behind the Scenes
- The casting of Marisa Tomei as May Parker received some backlash on social media, with some claiming that she was too young and attractive to play the character, who has previously been a much older woman in various other incarnations. Stephen McFeely explained that this change was made to fit with Marvel Studios' approach to Spider-Man, as they had found it unrealistic for a teenager to have such an elderly aunt: "We were all in lockstep pretty early on to make him as naturalistic as possible, in addition to being as young as possible. So what is it really like for a 15-year-old kid? Where does he live in Queens? That’s partly why his aunt isn’t 80 years old; if she’s the sister of his dead mother, why does she have to be two generations ahead?"
- Jonathan M. Goldstein revealed in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that May had a boyfriend in an early draft of the script for Spider-Man: Homecoming, and that he and John Francis Daley were not opposed to exploring this idea in future instalments: "We loved the idea of a cool aunt. In an early draft we actually even had her dating a guy, and part of her relationship with Peter was this inappropriate frankness. It didn’t make the cut, but I could see in the sequel she could get a boyfriend. She doesn’t have to be a mourning widow."
- May Parker in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the fourth live-action incarnation of the character, following incarnations portrayed by Jeff Donnell, Rosemary Harris and Sally Field.
- Dana Jones was a stunt double for Marisa Tomei in the role of May Parker.
- Grace Marie Williams was a stand-in for Marisa Tomei in the role of May Parker.
- Jennifer Finley was a photo double for Marisa Tomei in the role of May Parker.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Spider-Man: Homecoming
- ↑ Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ Captain America: Civil War Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Twitter backlash after 'too hot' Marisa Tomei cast as Spider-Man's Aunt May
- ↑ How Spider-Man saved 'Civil War' from being too predictable
- ↑ Spider-Man: Homecoming writers answer some burning questions