In 1989, a group of HYDRA operatives claiming to be S.H.I.E.L.D. raided the village in Hunan and abducted several of the elders, including Jiaying. They brought Jiaying and the elders to Austria, where Jiaying was horrified to find herself reunited with Daniel Whitehall who was released from prison. When Whitehall saw that Jiaying was alive and physically unaged, he vivisected the woman and used her blood and organs to regain some of his youth. Then Whitehall had Jiaying's body disposed of in the wilderness.
Calvin Zabo, her husband, left their daughter Daisy Johnson among people he trusted, and set off to search for his wife. He later found her body remains in Austria. Using his medical skills, Zabo stitched her body back together until her Inhuman powers allowed her to recover and return to life.
The object turned out to be a baby girl, who had fallen asleep in the dead agent's arms, and the five surviving agents took the baby and returned to the United States, where they began to be killed one by one, leaving Lumley the only survivor, although Avery devised a plan to erase all information about the baby and put her under an invisible protocol so that the foster system moved the child every few months in order to protect her.
- "The five of us helicoptered the kid off, headed home. After we landed, we started getting crossed off."
"Tortured, heads bashed in. And when it came down to Avery and I, we realized the only way to keep our people and the kid from being hunted–"
"Was to erase her from existence."
"Avery was smart. She used a lead agent's credentials to fake a Level 8 clearance. She set up a nearly invisible protocol. The foster system was ordered to move the child around every few months."
- ―Richard Lumley and Phil Coulson
- ↑ S.H.I.E.L.D.'s document on Skye
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.05: Girl in the Flower Dress
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.08: The Things We Bury
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.13: One of Us
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.10: What They Become
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.12: Seeds
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.19: The Only Light in the Darkness