He assigned one of his top scientists, Doctor Lingenfelter, with finding a way to replicate the Obelisk's effect. With much work, Lingenfelter created a chemical weapon based on the Obelisk's effects and decided to test their creation.
HYDRA decided to test their weapon at the wedding of Peter and Mariah Leitner. The wedding was attended by many of Peter's colleagues from the United States Navy. As Peter's best friend Schneider was giving his toast to the couple, the wait staff started to serve champagne to the guests and would not allow them any other drink.
After the toast, the guests who drank the champagne started to petrify and died. Some of the wedding guests suffered no effects while others had to be hospitalized.
- "Unfortunately, the results were less than what we'd hoped for."
"There were positives. Many of the deceased were enemies of HYDRA."
"Some of us are pleased with these small triumphs. Others have loftier aspirations, passion, even. Our founder, he had his Tesseract. As for me, well, it would be an understatement to say that I’ve waited my whole life to get possession of the Obelisk. To harness its power."
- ―Daniel Whitehall and Lingenfelter[src]
Only a total of nine wedding guests died from drinking the poisoned champagne, which did not please Daniel Whitehall. Later, Whitehall summoned his top scientists to discuss solutions to solving the problem of fully recreating the Obelisk's effect.
- ↑ In Face My Enemy, Skye jokingly states that "[May] just said more words than I've heard her say in a year", implying that she has known May for more than a year.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.05: A Hen in the Wolf House
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.02: Heavy is the Head
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.11: Aftershocks