The Consultant is the first in a series of Marvel One-Shots, released on the Thor Blu-ray on September 13, 2011. It is set after the main events of Thor and during the final events of The Incredible Hulk. It focuses on Phil Coulson and Jasper Sitwell's attempts to out-manuever the World Security Council's orders.
Phil Coulson walks into a restaurant where Jasper Sitwell is eating breakfast, and informs him that the World Security Council wishes Emil Blonsky released from prison to join the Avengers Initiative. They see him as a "war hero" and blame his fight in New York City with Bruce Banner on Banner himself. They order S.H.I.E.L.D. to send an agent to ask General Thaddeus Ross to release Blonsky into their custody. The two agents decide to send a patsy to sabotage the meeting, so Ross will refuse to release Blonsky. At Sitwell's urging, Coulson reluctantly sends the consultant: Tony Stark.
A disgraced Ross sits drinking in a bar when he is approached by Stark, who ends up annoying Ross so much that Ross tries to have him removed from the bar. In reply, Stark buys the bar and schedules it for demolition. The next day at the restaurant, Sitwell arrives at Coulson eating breakfast. Coulson informs him that their plan worked and that Blonsky will remain in prison.
- Main article: Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant/Credits
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Maximiliano Hernández as Jasper Sitwell
- Deborah Knox as the Night Waitress
- Duel of Harlem (mentioned)
- Iron Man Armor (mentioned)
- Avengers Initiative
- Clearance Level
- Project Rebirth
- Abomination (flashback)
- Bruce Banner
- Tony Stark (flashback)
- Thaddeus Ross (flashback)
- According to Eric Pearson in an interview for Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe, the action scene in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer took up 80% of the budget for the first two One-Shots leaving only enough money for two people talking, forcing Pearson to come up with the idea for The Consultant.
- Music was composed by Paul Oakenfold.