- "Where ignorance is bliss..."
"...'tis fooly to be wise."
- ―Howard Stark and Maria Stark
Maria Collins Carbonell Stark was Tony Stark's mother and Howard Stark's wife. She was assasinated along with her husband by the Winter Soldier under HYDRA orders, making it appear as an accidental car crash.
Marrying Howard Stark
Maria married Howard Stark, who became a devoted husband despite being a womanizer during his youth. In the 1960s, she and Howard had lunch with Anton Vanko after his defection from the Soviet Union.
Birth of Tony Stark
Maria and Howard Stark eventually became pregnant. Maria struggled with the pregnancy and would become easily annoyed, especially at Howard's late nights in the office and his loud chewing, as she would often force him to eat dinner in the pantry. The Starks had a son together, Anthony Stark, born on May 29, 1970. Throughout his life, Howard and Tony had a rough and strained relationship throughout the years, never being able to make amends. However, Maria and her son had a much closer and caring relationship, built on love.
Killed by Winter Soldier
On December 16, 1991, Stark was preparing to go to the Bahamas with Howard Stark, as she played the piano as Howard and Tony Stark had another tense conversation. During their conversation, Howard noted that they would likely be making a quick stop at the Pentagon since he had needed to collect some samples of their newest version of the Super Soldier Serum. Seeing her son was unhappy with Howard, Maria spoke to him calmly, before she and her husband left.
However, as they were driving down the road, the Starks were then attacked by the Winter Soldier, causing them to crash. While Maria was trapped in her seat, she watched Howard crawl out of the car and beg the Winter Soldier to help his wife, before being beaten to death with his Prosthetic Arm. Maria had then witnessed the Winter Soldier place Howard's corpse in his seat, making it appear that he had been killed in the crash, before then strangling her to death.
Tony Stark's Grief
To be added
- Maria Stark was due to appear in an alternate opening sequence for Iron Man 3, in which Tony tried to cheer her up after she got in a fight with Howard. However, though the sequence was shot, it didn't make the final cut of the film.
- The song that Maria plays on the piano in Captain America: Civil War is "Try To Remember" from the 1960 musical The Fantasticks, which was done at the suggestion of Robert Downey, Jr. because he loved the song when he was a child.
- Maria's death is listed on 12-27-1991 on Howard Stark's S.H.I.E.L.D. file, but this is later proven false as of her death being on 12-16-1991 in Captain America: Civil War.
|Appearances for Maria Stark|
In chronological order: