- "Where ignorance is bliss..."
"...'tis fooly to be wise."
- ―Howard Stark and Maria Stark
Maria Collins Carbonell Stark was Tony Stark's mother and Howard Stark's wife. She was assasinated along with her husband by the Winter Soldier under HYDRA orders, making it appear as an accidental car crash.
Maria married Howard Stark, who became a devoted husband despite being a womanizer during his youth. In the 1960s, she and Howard had lunch with Anton Vanko after his defection from the Soviet Union.
Birth of Tony Stark
Maria and Howard Stark had a son together, Anthony Stark, on May 29, 1970. Howard and Tony had a rough and strained relationship throughout the years and were never able to make amends, however Maria and her son had a much closer and caring relationship, built on love.
On December 16, 1991, she and her husband Howard Stark were both apparently killed in a car accident, that in truth was arranged by HYDRA. Maria Stark was severely injured in the car crash but was not killed outright. After beating Howard to death, the assassin called the Winter Soldier strangled her to death.
- Maria Stark was due to appear in an alternate opening sequence for Iron Man 3, in which Tony tried to cheer her up after she got in a fight with Howard. However, though the sequence was shot, it didn't make the final cut of the film.
- The song that Maria plays on the piano in Captain America: Civil War is "Try To Remember" from the 1960 musical The Fantasticks, which was done at the suggestion of Robert Downey, Jr. because he loved the song when he was a child.
- Maria's death is listed on 12-27-1991 on Howard Stark's S.H.I.E.L.D. file, but this is later proven false as of her death being on 12-16-1991 in Captain America: Civil War.
|Appearances for Maria Stark|
In chronological order: