- "Mr. Scarlotti, I'll leave you to what you do best."
"Shame. I prefer to take my time."
- ―Julien Beckers and Marcus Scarlotti
Marcus Scarlotti is an assassin who was hired by HYDRA to pose as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in order to frame the organization as Scarlotti attacked the United Nations. Scarlotti was eventually discovered by S.H.I.E.L.D. and, having been defeated by Melinda May, he was handed over to Glenn Talbot's custody.
Mercenary for Hire
Attack Against Hawkeye
Marcus Scarlotti led an assassination attempt against Clint Barton, while he was still a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. Although the assassination attempt was unsuccessful, Scarlotti became well-known for coming close to killing the legendary S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.
- "S.H.I.E.L.D. is done hiding."
- ―Marcus Scarlotti
As a mercenary, Scarlotti was hired by HYDRA to lead a team of mercenaries and attack a meeting at the United Nations Headquarters where Glenn Talbot was speaking. Posing as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, they stormed into the meeting and killed many of the attendees with Splinter Bombs, including Adamo Dioli. As Talbot attempted to get the people to safety, Scarlotti threw a Splinter Bomb at him, but failed to kill him.
Encounter with Melinda May
Scarlotti and his team then went to a safehouse in Bruges to kill a team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents led by Noelle Walters. Once Julien Beckers had greeted Walters, Scarlotti's men captured her. Beckers spoke to her and invited Scarlotti to torture Walters to death, but she spat in his eye. This insult caused him to kill her with a Splinter Bomb. As Walters disintegrated, she attempted to tell him that HYDRA would never defeat S.H.I.E.L.D. but was cut off by her quick death, leading to Scarlotti mocking her.
While still in the safehouse, Lance Hunter arrived, posing as a HYDRA agent. Before they could react, however, Melinda May and Bobbi Morse smashed through the windows and began attacking Scarlotti's men and overpowering them. Scarlotti attempted to escape but was chased down and cornered by May. With nowhere to go, Scarlotti used a Rope Dart Knife against an unarmed May. May managed to disarm him and after a prolonged battle, Scarlotti was knocked unconscious. Glenn Talbot arrived shortly afterwards and took Scarlotti and his HYDRA soldiers into custody.
- Rope Dart Knife Mastery: Scarlotti is a master in the use of his personal weapon, the Rope Dart Knife, using it as both a piercing weapon and a whip.
- Master Combatant: Scarlotti is one of the world's most renowned, or infamous, mercenaries, being able to almost kill notorious S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Clint Barton. He managed to fight Melinda May as an equal, but May was able to defeat him in battle despite his skill.
- Rope Dart Knife: Scarlotti's personal weapon of choice is a knife attached to a metal rope; he is able to use this as both a whip and piercing weapon. He used it against Melinda May in Belgium, though May broke the knife at the tip and used it as a weapon against Scarlotti.
- Splinter Bombs: This weapon, given to Scarlotti by HYDRA, was used by him to discredit S.H.I.E.L.D. by attacking the United Nations Headquarters and killing some of its members, including Adamo Dioli. He also used it to kill Noelle Walters in Belgium.
- United States Air Force
- Adamo Dioli † - Victim
- In the comics, Marco Scarlotti was an agent of the Maggia and became known as Blacklash and the first Whiplash as well as being engaged to Victoria Snow. Scarlotti's use of a Rope Dart Knife in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was reflective of that.
- In the non-canon video game Iron Man, he is named Mark Scarlotti and was once an employee of Stark Industries. After that company stopped producing weapons, he later started working for the Maggia, former clients of Stark Industries. He was voiced by Zach McGowan, who later portrayed Anton Ivanov in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.