Mar-Vell, also known as Wendy Lawson, was a Kree scientist who used to live on Earth where she worked with the United States Air Force in the framework of Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.. Together with Carol Danvers and Maria Rambeau, Mar-Vell worked on harnessing the energy of the Tesseract to create a Light-Speed Engine which according to her, would help end the Kree-Skrull War. Despite being a Kree herself, Mar-Vell intended to offer the technology to the Skrulls so they could relocate far from the Kree. However, while putting the engine on trial, Mar-Vell and Danvers were attacked by the Kree Starforce, which caused them to crash, and Mar-Vell was eventually shot by Yon-Rogg while trying to destroy the engine so the Kree could not control it.
Developing the Light Speed Engine:
To be added
While testing the Light-Speed Engine with Carol Danvers, Mar-Vell was found by Yon-Rogg and Minn-Erva, two Kree soldiers of Starforce who shot the plane out of the sky. After crash-landing, Mar-Vell told Danvers the truth about who she was and her mission on Earth. She insisted on destroying the energy core of the engine so that the Kree could not get it. Before she could do so, Yon-Rogg shot her in the chest, killing her.
To be added
Powers and Abilities
- Kree Physiology: As a Kree, Mar-Vell possessed all of the natural attributes common among her people such as superhuman strength, durability, agility, and an efficient healing factor.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all Kree, Mar-Vell is superhumanly strong.
- Superhuman Durability: Mar-Vell's body is more resistant to physical damage than the body of a human being. However, Mar-Vell can be killed, as she was shot by Yon-Rogg.
- Superhuman Agility: Mar-Vell naturally has greater agility, dexterity, balance and body coordination than a normal human being.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: As with all Kree, Mar-Vell possesses a healing factor which allows her to recover from injuries in a much shorter timespan than humans.
- Genius Level Intellect: To be added
- Master Scientist: To be added
- Master Engineer: To be added
- Expert Marksman: To be added
- Kree Pistol: To be added
- Mar-Vell's Laboratory: To be added
- In the comics, Mar-Vell was a Kree male and Captain of the Imperial Kree Army war hero. Arriving at Earth, Mar-Vell disguised himself as Walter Lawson, researching the human race. Eventually, Mar-Vell turned against Kree Empire and became the original Captain Marvel.
- Mar-Vell is the fourth character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to be depicted as a different gender from their counterpart in the comics, following Jeri Hogarth, the Ancient One, Ghost and preceding Morgan Stark.
Behind the Scenes
- Kevin Feige stated the decision to cast Annette Bening came very late, as they were still intending to cast a male actor shortly before filming began. Feige attributed Bening's casting to Anna Boden's decision to make the Supreme Intelligence take on Mar-Vell's appearance, stating "it was like, 'Oh, of course! That's perfect!' And we stopped looking for another actor."
- Elisabeth P. Carpenter and Ingrid Kleinig were stunt doubles for Annette Bening in the role of Mar-Vell.