Post-credits scenes are a recurring staple in the feature films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, during which one or more shorts clips are shown before, during, and/or after the closing credits. The clips usually foreshadow future films, resolve a plotline from the film, or provide comic relief.
|The Incredible Hulk|
|Iron Man 2|
|Thor||Foreshadowing The Avengers, Nick Fury welcomes Erik Selvig to a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility and, after showing him the Tesseract, asks him to investigate the object further. Selvig agrees, unaware that his mind is being controlled by Loki.|
|Captain America: The First Avenger|
|The Avengers assemble at the Shawarma Palace and eat in silence due to their combined exhaustion from the Battle of New York.|
|Iron Man 3||
After recounting his battle with Aldrich Killian and his struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder, Tony Stark realizes Bruce Banner slept through most of the story. Thinking nothing of it, Stark begins telling another story, much to Banner's chagrin.
|Thor: The Dark World|
While entertaining several colleagues in her London flat, Jane Foster sees a portal open on her balcony and runs outside to find Thor, whom she happily embraces. Meanwhile, a flock of birds attempts to flee from the Frost Beast.
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||
In a mid-credits scene foreshadowing Avengers: Age of Ultron, Wolfgang von Strucker and List makes their way through a facility where the Scepter is being studied and approaches a pair of holding cells containing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.
|Guardians of the Galaxy|
|Avengers: Age of Ultron|
In a cut-down scene from Captain America: Civil War, Captain America and Falcon discuss what to do with a trapped Winter Soldier. With "the accords" preventing them from contacting Tony Stark, Falcon recommends "a guy" who can help them.
|Captain America: Civil War||
In a mid-credits scene foreshadowing Black Panther, Steve Rogers watches Bucky Barnes go back into cryostasis and thanks T'Challa, who has granted them asylum in Wakanda until a cure for Barnes' mental programming can be found.
Foreshadowing Spider-Man: Homecoming, Peter Parker rests on his bed as Aunt May inquires about his black eye. As soon as she leaves the room, Peter inspects his Web-Shooters and watches as they emit a spider-shaped symbol.
In a cut-down scene from Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange asks Thor why he brought Loki to Earth. Discovering that they are searching for Odin, Strange offers to help on the condition that the two brothers return to Asgard once their mission is completed.
|Karl Mordo confronts Jonathan Pangborn and takes away his magic, explaining he is doing so because he could "see at long last what's wrong with the world, there are too many sorcerers."|
|Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2|
Adrian Toomes encounters Mac Gargan in prison and learns that he has "friends" looking to kill Spider-Man before being confronted with a rumor about him knowing who the young crimefighter is. Toomes denies knowing Spider-Man's true identity and leaves to see his family.
In a mid-credits scene, T'Challa travels to the Vienna International Centre with Nakia, Okoye and Ayo to speak before Everett Ross and the United Nations, stating that Wakanda will open its borders and utilize its resources to help the wider world.
|Avengers: Infinity War|
|Ant-Man and the Wasp|
In a mid-credits scene foreshadowing Avengers: Endgame, Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff and James Rhodes are speaking with Bruce Banner about the Transmitter Pager when Captain Marvel appears and demands they tell her where Nick Fury is.
|Inside Nick Fury's office, Goose jumps onto his desk and, following several attempts, regurgitates the Tesseract.|
|Spider-Man: Far From Home||
Peter Parker and Michelle Jones finish their date as Pat Kiernan presents a breaking news bulletin. To Parker's horror, The Daily Bugle editor J. Jonah Jameson releases footage leaked by the late Quentin Beck in which Beck suggests that Spider-Man murdered him and ordered the deaths of many others, after which he reveals to the world that Parker is Spider-Man.
|"Nick Fury" and "Maria Hill" are revealed to be Talos and Soren in disguise. At Soren's urging, Talos contacts the real Fury, who is commanding a ship crewed by Skrulls, and informs him of the unexpected complications they faced in their mission to stop the Elementals.|
|Black Widow||Foreshadowing Hawkeye, Yelena Belova visits Natasha Romanoff's grave and receives a mission from Valentina Allegra de Fontaine to take down Hawkeye, whom she states is the man responsible for Romanoff's death.|
|Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings||In a mid-credits scene, Bruce Banner and Carol Danvers meet with Wong, Shang-Chi, and Katy Chen via holograms to observe the Ten Rings and discuss their origin, discovering that the rings are sending a message. After Danvers and Banner leave, Wong joins Shang-Chi and Chen in spending the night singing karaoke.|
|Foreshadowing the return of the Ten Rings, Xu Xialing takes her father's spot as leader of the organization, accompanied by Razor Fist and Jon Jon.|
|1||07. Breaking the Fourth Wall||Monica Rambeau finds the entrance to the basement while investigating Agatha Harkness's house but is interrupted by "Pietro Maximoff".|
|08. Previously On||Tyler Hayward reveals that by using a sample of Wanda Maximoff's energy from a drone she destroyed, he was able to finish the restoration of Vision's original body.|
|09. The Series Finale||Foreshadowing The Marvels, Monica Rambeau meets up with Jimmy Woo as he takes over the Westview Investigation from Tyler Hayward, who is escorted out in handcuffs. Monica is called into the local theater by an FBI agent, who reveals herself to be a Skrull sent by an old friend of her mother Maria to inform her about an intergalactic mission.|
|Foreshadowing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Wanda Maximoff now lives by herself in the wilderness. As she prepares a water kettle, a Wanda in astral form is studying the Darkhold when she begins to hear her children calling out for help.|
|1||05. Truth||John Walker welds his own version of Captain America's shield.|
|06. One World, One People||Sharon Carter receives an official pardon from the U.S. government and a chance to return to her old division, and then she calls her contacts in Madripoor, announcing that they now have direct access to government resources and weapons.|
|1||04. The Nexus Event||Loki wakes up in the Void and encounters four other alternate versions of himself.|
|06. For All Time. Always.||A Time Variance Authority file of Loki is stamped with "Loki will return in Season 2".|
|1||09. What If... The Watcher Broke His Oath?||Foreshadowing Season 2, Natasha Romanoff defeats Georges Batroc for Peggy Carter, who had returned to her universe after her fight with Ultron. Venturing inside the ship, Romanoff shows Carter the HYDRA Stomper armor locked away, along with someone familiar to her.|
Behind the Scenes
- Kevin Feige started to place the post-credits scenes at the end of each Marvel Studios film partially because he wanted audiences to stick around and acknowledge the people who worked on the film. He was inspired by the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which caused Feige to watch the end of all credits for films he saw when he was younger. In the post-credits scene of that film, the titular character, portrayed by Matthew Broderick, breaks the fourth wall and tells the audience that the movie is over and they should go home.
- When the time to shoot the post-credits scene of Iron Man came, an alternate version of the scene was filmed in which Nick Fury mentions to Tony Stark that he has become part of a "bigger universe" in which there are "gamma accidents", "radioactive bug bites" and "an assortment of mutants". This version ultimately went unused from the finished film likely because Sony Pictures Studios owns the film rights of Spider-Man and 20th Century Fox owned the film rights of the X-Men at the time.
- Louis Leterrier initially intended to film a post-credits scene for The Incredible Hulk showing the Abomination, reverted back to his human form, chained and imprisoned in a box, but the scene was never filmed.
- According to Stellan Skarsgård, the post-credits scene of Thor wasn't included in the screenplay he first read: they only sent him the pages for it after agreeing to appear in The Avengers.
- When Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely early considered using Hulk on Captain America: Civil War before removing him to not reveal his whereabouts after Avengers: Age of Ultron, there was an early draft with a post-credits scene featuring a stinger of Hulk.
- Ryan Fleck revealed in an interview with Empire that an idea for the post-credits scene of Captain Marvel involved Yon-Rogg's ship traveling through the Devil's Anus and landing on Sakaar, seemingly setting him up to be forced to compete in the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions.
- The first post-credits scene in Captain Marvel was originally filmed as part of Avengers: Endgame.
- Avengers: Endgame is the first film not to have a post-credits scene, though a few weeks after its initial theatrical release, a trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home was added at the end of the credits. The movie's initial theatrical release featured the sound of a hammer striking steel after the credits, a reference to Tony Stark creating his first suit of armor in Iron Man, which Joe Russo has stated was their way of saying goodbye to him.
- Avengers: Endgame - With Bonus Scene features 4 post-credits scenes: Stan Lee documentary tribute, special thanks from Director Anthony Russo, a deleted scene featuring Hulk and the opening scene of Spider-Man: Far From Home.
- The Incredible Hulk - Audio Commentary
- IAR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: STELLAN SKARSGARD TALKS 'THE AVENGERS,' 'THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO,' AND 'MELANCHOLIA'
- Hulk Cut From Post Credit Scene In ‘Captain America: Civil War’
- Captain Marvel: 15 Spoiler Facts From Directors Anna Boden And Ryan Fleck
- Captain Marvel's Post-Credits Scene Was Kept A Secret Even From Brie Larson
- Avengers Endgame credits explained: Directors confirm the truth behind THAT stinger
- Avengers: Endgame Officially Getting Re-Released With New Footage (Exclusive)