|For alternate versions of Korg, see Korg's Character Hub|
- "Over here. This pile of rocks waving at you. I’m actually a thing. I'm a being. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Korg. I’m kind of like the leader in here. I’m made of rocks, as you can see, but don't let that intimidate you. You don’t need to be afraid unless you're made of scissors! Just a little Rock, Paper, Scissors joke for you."
- ―Korg to Thor[src]
Korg is a Kronan warrior who hung out on Sakaar and was forced to participate in the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions. Upon meeting Thor, Korg helped him and Bruce Banner escape from Sakaar with help from Valkyrie. After the defeat of Hela, Korg and Miek joined the Asgardians in their journey towards Earth following Ragnarök.
After the Snap, Korg was one of the survivors, making his home in New Asgard with Miek and the rest of the surviving Asgardians, keeping Thor company as he descended into a drunken hermit over his failure to stop Thanos. During the Battle of Earth, Korg joined the battle to defeat an alternate version of Thanos, before heading back to New Asgard under Valkyrie's new rule.
Enslaved by the Grandmaster
Korg was forced to become one of the Grandmaster's champions on the planet Sakaar after his rebellion against him failed when he was unable to collect enough support. The only people that turned up were his mother and her boyfriend, whom he hated. He reflects on this later in his life, joking that he "didn't print enough pamphlets." Korg met and became friends with another gladiator, Miek.
Explaining the Contest
Soon after Thor was thrown into the gladiator's quarters, Korg struck up a conversation with him, introducing himself and his friend Miek to him and insisting that Thor not be intimidated by his appearance. Once Korg had confirmed to Thor that he was indeed a Kronan, Korg then explained how he had first gotten to Sakaar following his own failed revolution.
As Thor had attempted to explore their cell, he discovered that it was a magic circle which Korg described as a freaky circle. Thor and Korg then discussed the Grandmaster's champion, with Korg telling him that everyone who fought against the champion inside the arena had died, showing him the corpse of Doug, the last person who faced the champion. He then called Thor "New Doug" after Thor announced that he would be challenging the champion and intended to win.
When Loki visited Thor using his illusion powers in order to try and convince his adopted brother not to challenge the Grandmaster's champion and consider escaping while Hela took over Asgard, Korg stayed close by but did not interfere. Just as Loki's illusion left the room, Korg took the chance and attempted to attack him, yelling at Loki to piss off and calling him a ghost, while Miek had also charged forward to assist his friend in the possible battle against Loki.
Thor vs. Hulk
- "Ah, yuck, there's still someone's hair and blood all over this. Guys, can you clean up the weapons once you've finished your fight? Disgusting slobs."
Prior to Thor's battle against Hulk, Korg complained to his fellow champions about the state of the communal weapons, asking them to clean them after use having found some hair and blood from the previous Contest of Champions battles over some of the weapons. Seeing that Thor was struggling to choose a weapon to use, Korg then offered him a three-pronged spear which he turned down, hoping instead to find a new hammer that he could use in his battle.
Thor then told Korg all about Mjølnir and its abilities to summon up lightning and return to his hand whenever he called it. Thor and Korg then discussed Scrapper 142, with Korg revealing that she was in fact Asgardian as well as a former member of the Valkyries, much to Thor's surprise as he attempted to convince her to help him escape Sakaar, although she refused.
During Thor's duel with Hulk, Korg commented on his apparent foolishness, staying in the wings alongside Miek and all of the other fighters as the fight had gone ahead. However, when Thor gained the upper hand, Korg encouraged the other gladiators to participate in the chant supporting Thor. Eventually, however, the Grandmaster cheated and used the Obedience Disk to knock Thor to the ground and allow Hulk to win, prompting Korg to reminisce about Doug's fight.
During Thor's attempt to escape from Sakaar, Korg remained locked inside of his cell with Miek to keep him company while they remained as prisoners of the Grandmaster, with Korg questioning if the liquid that Miek was dropping from his body were in fact his eggs which he suspected. While Korg remained in waiting, Thor sent Valkyrie to deactivate the Obedience Disks on Korg and the other prisoners, finally giving them freedom.
Around the gladiator quarters, the disks fell off them to Korg's delight before Valkyrie burst into their room and asked to know who Korg was out of the other Contest of Champions challengers. Korg himself then awkwardly questioned who it was who was asking before noting that he knew only Valkyrie was asking him and questioning if she was asking on behalf of anybody else. Valkyrie had then noted that Thor had sent her before Korg was then provided with Sakaaran weaponry by Valkyrie, Korg led the slave revolt against the Grandmaster.
Korg then recruited Tasba and Biff into the rebellion, quickly gaining their freedom while Thor was able to make his escape. During the revolt, Korg and his companions broke into the hangar bay to escape the planet, leading Korg to find a Obedience Disk trigger, which he then switched off, releasing Loki, who they offered a way off the planet. The group then stole a large ship and escaped Sakaar, flying through the Devil's Anus towards Asgard in order to assist Thor.
While Loki piloted the Statesman towards the Bifrost Bridge, Korg got off early and managed to save Heimdall's life when he had been pinned down by the Berserkers. Korg then introduced himself and Miek to Heimdall before pointing him in the direction of the Statesman, inviting Heimdall and the other Asgardians to make their hasty escape from Asgard just before they could all be wiped out.
Korg and his fellow Contest of Champions gladiators then proceeded to help all of the remaining Asgardians to evacuate the planet before it was too late by climbing onboard the Statesman, with Korg using his Sakaaran Blaster to shoot down all of the attacking Berserkers which had been sent to stop them by Hela. Fighting alongside Loki, Heimdall and Miek to ensure the safety of the Asgardians, Korg and his new allies eventually found themselves overwhelmed.
Faced with the onslaught of Berserkers, Korg held them off for as long as he could, before witnessing a massive lightning blast destroy much of the Royal Palace of Valaskjalf. Much to the surprise of Korg, out of the lightning came Thor, who charged through the Berserkers army and aided his allies, all while the Hulk dealt with Fenris, giving Korg and the others a clear advantage. During their battle, however, Korg had inadvertently stepped on and seemingly killed Miek.
Feeling great guilt over killing Miek, Korg picked him up and took him onboard the Statesman as they were evacuated. Having successfully evacuated all the surviving Asgardians, Korg watched as Surtur then destroyed Asgard by finally causing Ragnarök. Korg commented on how the Asgardians could rebuild the planet, only to witness the utter destruction of the world. Shocked, Korg commented that Asgard was well and truly destroyed, apologizing for his previous comment.
Joining the Asgardians
Following the Battle of the Rainbow Bridge, Korg stood by onboard the Statesman alongside all of the remaining Asgardians and his new allies while Thor was named as their new King of Asgard. As Thor was asked by Heimdall where they should go next following the complete and utter destruction of their beloved homeworld, Thor was quietly musing where to go onto, before he asked where Miek's homeworld was, considering this to be a good destination to aim for.
Korg admitted that Miek was dead because he had stepped on him while still on the Rainbow Bridge, and that he had been carrying him around because he felt guilty about killing his dear friend. However, Miek then regained consciousness, much to Korg's relief as he then announced to everybody that Miek was indeed alive. Apologizing to Thor and inviting him to speak again, Korg and everybody else were informed that their next destination would, in fact, be Earth.
During the journey to Earth, the Asgardians were ambushed by Thanos and the Black Order. During this ambush, half of the Asgardians on the ship were slaughtered, including Heimdall and Loki. Korg was one of the many survivors from Thanos' attack who took part in leading the remaining Asgardians to safety in escape pods alongside Valkyrie and Miek, before Thanos destroyed the ship and killed the remaining forces inside the Statesman.
Life on Earth
Settling in New Asgard
After the Snap, Korg and the surviving Asgardians settled in New Asgard along with Thor. In the five years that followed, Korg played video games with Thor while he kept him company as the Asgardian descended into his grief of his failure to stop the Snap.
Visited by the Avengers
In 2023, Bruce Banner and Rocket Raccoon visited New Asgard to recruit Thor. When they entered Thor's hut, Korg greeted them while playing Fortnite. Korg then invited Banner and Rocket to drink their beer and use their free wi-fi. However, a player on Playstation Network, NoobMaster69, insulted Korg by calling him a dickhead, causing him to inform Thor, who threatened the player and promised to hurt him if he continued with the insults, much to Korg's gratitude.
Following the Blip, Korg, along with Miek, Valkyrie, and the Einherjar, was transported by the Masters of the Mystic Arts via an Inter-Dimensional Portal to the ruins of the Avengers Compound to assist in the battle against an alternate version of Thanos and his army. During the battle, Korg fought Cull Obsidian, but Obsidian was able to overpower and restrain him until Drax the Destroyer leaped onto Obsidian's back and started stabbing him with his knives, which caused him to release Korg, who then promptly knocked him back. Later in the battle, Korg was forced to take cover when the Sanctuary II fired airstrikes on the battlefield. After the battle, Korg and Miek returned to New Asgard.
In stark contrast to the rest of his kind, who are reputed for their brute strength and intimidating forms, Korg was a very civilized and kind-hearted individual. He was very kind to those who he considered friends, especially Miek, and even showed hospitality to complete strangers including Thor and Loki. He also appears to be quite articulate, as shown when he described in great detail his beliefs regarding Thor's attachment to Mjølnir. Korg is also very humorous, showcasing his humor in efforts to ease situations. Korg also appears to be well versed in other cultures, as he knew of the Earth game Rock, Paper, Scissors.
Korg appears to be quite sensitive as when he was insulted by NoobMaster69, he turned toward Thor to defend him. He also seems to enjoy playing video games such as Fortnite.
Powers and Abilities
- Kronan Physiology: Kronans are an ancient race of rock-like four-fingered humanoid beings with superhuman physical abilities. When Korg is idle, he grows moss on his exterior which happened due to his laziness in the five years following the Snap.
- Superhuman Strength: Korg possesses immense superhuman strength. He was notably able to knock back Cull Obsidian, the strongest of the Black Order, with a single hit aided by his Sakaaran laser rifle.
- Superhuman Durability: Korg's rock-like body is incredibly durable, though still vulnerable to blows from Hulk or from an opponent wielding Mjølnir.
- Superhuman Stamina: Korg is able to fight in battles without getting tired very easily.
- Combatant: Korg is a proficient combatant, being a veteran of the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions, surviving many gladiatorial matches. He was also able to knock back Cull Obsidian for a time being and survived an onslaught of Thanos' soldiers during the Battle of Earth.
- Expert Marksman: Korg is exceptionally skilled in the use of firearms, being able to take down dozens of Berserkers with his rifle during the Battle of the Rainbow Bridge. He then kept this weapon and used it in the Battle of Earth.
- Sakaaran Laser Rifle: Korg was given a Sakaaran Laser Rifle by Valkyrie so he could lead a revolution against the Grandmaster and his Sakaaran Guards in the Grandmaster Palace. Korg then took the rifle to Asgard and used it with proficiency against the Berserkers during the Battle of the Rainbow Bridge. He also used this weapon against Cull Obsidian during the Battle of Earth.
- Three Pronged Spear: While browsing weapons to be used during his gladiatorial fights, Korg came upon a wooden spear with three edges and suggested to Thor that he could use it, but they quickly discarded it as being not very helpful.
- Obedience Disk: Korg wore an obedience disk that would shock him if he attempted to rebel. Valkyrie helped Korg to deactivate the Obedience Disks as well as the other gladiators, making him free from getting shocked and start a Sakaaran Rebellion, which provided a distraction for the Revengers.
- Statesman: As it was once formerly owned by the Grandmaster, the Statesman is a massive spaceship, that was later used by Korg and the Sakaaran Rebellion, in order to escape Sakaar.
|This section requires expansion|
In chronological order:
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Avengers: Endgame
- Ms. Marvel
- Thor: Love and Thunder (unreleased)
Outside of time:
- In the comics, Korg was part of the Warbound, together with Hulk, and was headquartered on Sakaar. Korg first appeared in Journey into Mystery #83, the first Marvel comic to feature Thor.
- The Hawaiian shirt that was worn by Korg in Avengers: Endgame is the same shirt that Taika Waititi wore for the announcement of Thor: Ragnarok at San Diego Comic-Con 2017.
Behind the Scenes
- Taika Waititi claimed that he based Korg's soft-spoken voice on Polynesian bouncers. "We wanted to change the idea of what a hulking guy made of rocks could be. He's huge and heavy, but with a light soul. We wanted to make him funny and a relatable entry point into this world. And Thor needs friends".
- At one point, Kevin Feige and Taika Waititi talked about potentially doing a One-Shot short film featuring Korg and Miek.
- Korg appeared alongside Deadpool in a YouTube video on Ryan Reynolds' channel, promoting Reynolds and Taika Waititi's film Free Guy, in which they watch and react to the film's trailer.