|For alternate versions of Jim Morita, see Jim Morita's Character Hub|
|For the Principal of the Midtown School of Science and Technology, see Morita|
Private James "Jim" Morita was a United States Army soldier during the World War II and a member of the Howling Commandos. After being rescued from a HYDRA prison camp, he was recruited into the newly formed Howling Commandos by Captain America and Bucky Barnes.
World War II
Jim Morita was a Japanese-American soldier who was born in Fresno, California. Originally, he served in the US Army Nisei Squadron as a Ranger under the command of Happy Sam Sawyer. However, by October 1943, Morita had been captured by HYDRA and sent to the weapons facility in Austria.
In November 1943, Captain America infiltrated the facility and liberated the prisoners. Morita and his companions broke free with Captain America's help, although he then made sure to tell Dum Dum Dugan after the latter implied that he may have been one of the Imperial Japanese members and thus one of the Axis soldiers that he was actually from Fresno, California, and thus American and of the Allied Powers, also showing his dog tags to prove it. He and the others then wreaked havoc on the HYDRA soldiers, with Morita teaming up with Jacques Dernier who used a gun powered by the Tesseract to destroy parts of the base. Morita joined the rest of the freed soldiers and returned to the Allied military base in Italy immediately after.
Shortly after their break-out, Morita and his comrades were invited to join a special elite squadron led by Rogers himself. Morita accepted, despite the perspective of coming back to the front-line immediately after merely escaping with his life. Along with the other Howlers, Morita took part in every assault against HYDRA, he was able to intercept a HYDRA radio message allowing them to locate Arnim Zola. Captain America, Bucky Barnes and Gabe Jones attacked the train but only Rogers and Jones returned with Zola.
During the attack on Johann Schmidt's fortress, Morita and the other Howling Commandos were the first to attack. Morita called the rest of the army unit to attack and they were able to capture the fortress. Morita was put in charge of the radios and was able to receive a call from Rogers. When it became clear that Rogers intended to crash the plane to prevent it from reaching America, Chester Phillips told Morita to leave the room so only Peggy Carter could listen. Rogers crashed the plane and went missing in action.
Capturing Werner Reinhardt
Morita, along with SSR agent Peggy Carter and fellow commando Dum Dum Dugan, then captured the last known HYDRA base in Austria, along with HYDRA General Werner Reinhardt and an artifact of unknown origin known as the Obelisk due to its shape.
After The War
Morita had a child after the war, who would eventually give him a grandson resembling him. He would eventually pass away, as S.H.I.E.L.D.'s files given to Steve Rogers when he awoke in the 21st century reported Morita's status as deceased.
James Morita liked a good joke and was somewhat cocky in battle. However, he was serious when he needed to be. While in the HYDRA liberation camp, he was witty to the HYDRA soldiers as well as his own allies, telling a fellow ally that he was from Fresno. He also followed orders very well, being an important part in the Howling Commandos.
- Expert Marksman: Morita's training with the United States Army gave him great ability in firearm usage, being able to kill multiple HYDRA soldiers in a small span of time with relative ease.
- Bilingualism: Morita was fluent in his native Japanese, as well as English.
- M3A1 "Grease Gun": Morita carried this submachine gun as his weapon of choice, and he used it during the Howling Commandos' raids on HYDRA facilities and during the Attack on HYDRA Headquarters. He continued to use it as he worked together with Agent Peggy Carter to raid the HYDRA Research Facility Number 4 and imprison Werner Reinhardt.
- Whip & Fiddle: After being liberated, Morita went to the pub to drink. There, he was asked by Steve Rogers to form a team, which he gladly accepted.
- Strategic Scientific Reserve Headquarters: Morita helped his team make plans for how to tackle each HYDRA base. They did so on a giant map in the middle of the headquarters.
|Appearances for Jim Morita|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Jim Morita was a Nisei soldier who assisted Nick Fury on several occasions with his team, and got rescued from a Nazi prison camp by the Howling Commandos and soon joined the team.