- "This past weekend, Midtown's Academic Decathlon team defeated the country's best to win the national championship. Later that day, they also defeated death. No one was seriously injured, thanks to the Spider-Man. Thank you, Spider-Man. Up next, the Spider-Man mania is sweeping through the school! How can you show your spider spirit?"
- ―Jason Ionello
Jason Ionello is a student at Midtown School of Science and Technology.
- "Students, don't forget about your Homecoming tickets. Do you have a date for Homecoming?"
"Thanks, Jason, but I already have a date."
- ―Jason Ionello and Betty Brant
Ionello was a student at the Midtown School of Science and Technology, where he co-hosted the school TV show with Betty Brant. As the school's homecoming party was approaching, Ionello asked Brant whether she already had a date, leading to an awkward on-screen moment when Brant told Ionello that she did.
During a physical education course, Ionello sat with Liz Toomes, Seymour O'Reilly and Brant, listening to the girls commenting on the Robbery at Queens Community Bank and how Spider-Man had intervened. Like everyone else, Ionello was surprised to hear Ned Leeds claiming that Peter Parker knew Spider-Man.
Ionello later reported the victory of the Academic Decathlon Team in Washington, D.C., as well as the Rescue at the Washington Monument. Ionello then commented that a Spider-Man-mania was overrunning the school and invited the students to find creative ways to express their fascination for Spider-Man.
Ionello and Brant also informed the students about Herman Schultz being found in the school's bus yard, webbed to a bus with Spider-Man's Synthetic Webbing. They also presented a news segment in which various people across the school, including Roger Harrington, Michelle Jones and Leeds, were asked about their insights regarding Spider-Man's true identity.
- Midtown School of Science and Technology
- Betty Brant - Classmate and Co-Host
- Liz Toomes - Former Classmate
- Seymour O'Reilly - Classmate
- Peter Parker - Classmate
- Michelle Jones - Classmate
- Flash Thompson - Classmate
- Ned Leeds - Classmate
- Abe Brown - Classmate
- Charles Murphy - Classmate
- Cindy Moon - Classmate
- Sally Avril - Classmate
- Tiny McKeever - Classmate
- In the comics, Jason Ionello was a practical joker and part of Flash Thompson's gang. He was particularly close to Sally Avril and much like her idolized Spider-Man, but looked down on Peter Parker. After accidentally getting involved in a crash that ended Sally's life, Jason became withdrawn and suicidal until he was convinced to blame someone else by the Vulture.