He also co-wrote the song "Guardians Inferno" with Tyler Bates.
He portrayed Maskless Sakaaran in Guardians of the Galaxy, provided the on-set motion capture for Baby Groot in the dance sequences in Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and portrayed a member of The Sneepers in the music video Guardians Inferno.
He was interviewed for the documentary Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe.
- He won a Saturn Award for Best Director for his work on Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Together with Nicole Perlman, he was nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Writing for his work on Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Together with Nicole Perlman, he was nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for his work on Guardians of the Galaxy.
- James Gunn was originally fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 after completing the script over controversy surrounding tweets he had made between 2008 to 2012. In March 2019, it was announced that he was reinstated as the film's director.
- James Gunn is the third Marvel Cinematic Universe director to play a part in the film he is directing.
- The first was Jon Favreau, who portrayed Happy Hogan in Iron Man and Iron Man 2.
- The second was Joe Russo, who portrayed Fine and Interviewer in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Theo Broussard in Captain America: Civil War and Bobby in Avengers: Endgame.
- The fourth was Taika Waititi, who portrayed Korg in Thor: Ragnarok and Thor: Love and Thunder.
- James Gunn cast many of his former collaborators from the films Slither and Super in Guardians of the Galaxy, such as Michael Rooker, Gregg Henry, Nathan Fillion, Rob Zombie, Stephen Blackehart, Nick Holmes, Mikaela Hoover and Steve Agee.
- James Gunn cast his own brother and frequent collaborator Sean Gunn for multiple roles in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- James Gunn cast his own dog Wesley Von Spears to portray a Holographic Dog in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- James Gunn cast his own parents Jim Gunn Sr. and Leota Gunn in smaller roles in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
- James Gunn asked his mentor Lloyd Kaufman to make a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy as he did in Gunn's previous films Slither and Super.
- James Gunn previously worked with Fred Raskin in Tromeo and Juliet, and worked again with him in The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.
- James Gunn previously worked with Seth Green in Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.
- James Gunn previously worked with Ving Rhames in Dawn of the Dead.
- James Gunn previously worked with Greg D'Auria and Chukwudi Iwuji in Peacemaker.
- James Gunn worked again with Elizabeth Ludlow in Peacemaker.
- James Gunn wrote a treatment for a Silver Surfer film in 1999.
- James Gunn wrote and directed the DC Extended Universe production The Suicide Squad.
- James Gunn wrote the DC Extended Universe production Peacemaker, and directed five of its eight episodes.
- James Gunn also voiced himself in the DC Entertainment production Harley Quinn.
- The Suicide Squad: James Gunn Reconnected With Marvel One Day After Joining DC Movie
- James Gunn comments on directing Stan Lee Marvel cameos
- James Gunn on Facebook - October 29, 2016
- James Gunn Wrote Some Dialogue for the Guardians of the Galaxy in 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- James Gunn Back On as 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3' Director
- James Gunn on Facebook - April 30, 2015