- "Can you regulate?"
"Yes, I can regulate."
"Are you sure about that?"
- ―Eric Savin and Jack Taggart
Jack Taggart was a former soldier in the United States Army, who was consulted and subjected to the experimental Extremis program for Advanced Idea Mechanics. After quickly becoming addicted to the Extremis formula, Taggart had subsequently detonated after an overdose at the TCL Chinese Theatre, which was later framed as a Mandarin terrorist attack.
In 2012, Taggart met with Eric Savin outside the TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles where he gave Taggart a case containing the Extremis dose. When Happy Hogan intervened, Taggart injected himself with a high dose of Extremis, causing him to self-destruct as a result and causing massive damage to the surrounding area, killing Taggart, severely injuring Hogan, and instantly killing any civilians within close proximity of the explosion.
- In the comics, Jack Taggart, better known as Firepower, is an African American man who wears a high-powered armor.
- Firepower, armor and all, appeared in the PSP and Wii versions of the non–canon video game Iron Man 2 well before this version of the character was even conceived.
Behind the Scenes
- In early storyboards of Iron Man 3, Jack Taggart was supposed to kill Happy Hogan upon exploding.
- Blake Smith was a stand-in for Ashley Hamilton in the role of Jack Taggart.