- "I know this sorry excuse for a unit is called the "Howling Commandos," but do you mugs have to keep your gums flapping 24-7?"
- ―Dum Dum Dugan
The Howling Commandos were an elite combat unit originally led by Captain America during World War II. After the war ended and Captain America's apparent death, the unit continued to be active and was led by Dum Dum Dugan.
Recruited by Captain America
The Howling Commandos were formed during World War II out from various P.O.W.s after they were rescued by Captain America. The new unit, led by Rogers and Bucky Barnes, traveled around Western Europe to eliminate every HYDRA base they could find. Their operations were some of the most successful of the entire war.
They also participated in attacking Johann Schmidt's last base along with other U.S. forces led by Colonel Chester Phillips. The battle was eventually won. However, despite Schmidt's apparent death and foiled plans, Captain America was missing in action after crashing Schmidt's plane to save the mainland United States.
Dum Dum Dugan and Jim Morita were sent to Austria with Strategic Scientific Reserve agent Peggy Carter to take possession of artifacts at the last known HYDRA Facility located there. They captured HYDRA General Werner Reinhardt, his troops and an Obelisk classified as an 0-8-4.
Post-War107th Infantry Regiment. Some members eventually abandoned the unit but new recruits came. In 1946, the Howling Commandos were called by Peggy Carter to help her, SSR agent Jack Thompson, and his team in infiltrating a Leviathan base camp in Belarus. They met Carter and the team and escorted them to Belarus. Infiltrating the facility, they discovered various methods of dispensing subliminal messages. They encountered a little girl supposedly left behind, and Dum Dum Dugan went to comfort her, only to be non-fatally stabbed by the girl, who quickly shot and killed Junior Juniper before escaping.
Going deeper into the facility, the team found the scientists Nikola and Ivchenko. Freeing them, they ran into an ambush where Nikola tried to use Happy Sam Sawyer as a hostage. Ivchenko killed Nikola, allowing the Commandos and Carter's team to escape.
The Howling Commandos said goodbye to Carter and her team, with Dugan giving Ivchenko his bottle of bourbon.
The Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. created an exhibit which featured Captain America with the original Howling Commandos. After his battle with and rescue of Captain America, Bucky Barnes went to see the display, which reminded him of his past.
This section requires expansion
Howling Commando Gear
- Main article: Howling Commando Gear
Antoine Triplett's mother allowed her son to have a suitcase filled with many of the gadgets that the Howling Commandos used over the years, so that Coulson's Team could take down the Centipede Project.
|Appearances for Howling Commandos|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, the Howling Commandos were a elite US military unit formed by Happy Sam Sawyer and lead by Nick Fury, that fought many Axis supervillains like Wolfgang von Strucker, Heinrich Zemo and the Red Skull during World War II. After the war, many of the Commandos members joined S.H.I.E.L.D., and different iterations of the team were created.
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of the Howling Commandos share traits with the Invaders, a WWII's superhero group that was led by Captain America and included James Barnes and James Montgomery Falsworth among their ranks. In the non-canon video game Captain America: Super Soldier, the Howling Commandos are called the Invaders.
- S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Antoine Triplett's grandfather is one of the Howling Commandos.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.01: Shadows
- ↑ Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Marvel's Agent Carter Season One
- ↑ Agent Carter: 1.05: The Iron Ceiling
- ↑ Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Post-Credits Scene
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.21: Ragtag
- ↑ Captain America: Super Soldier
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.19: The Only Light in the Darkness