Doctor Ho Yinsen was a renowned scientist and surgeon, hailing from the village of Gulmira. After his family was killed during a surge in local terrorist activity, Yinsen was abducted and held captive by the Ten Rings in Afghanistan. When Tony Stark was also kidnapped, Yinsen was charged with attending to Stark's medical needs after he was brought in injured from an explosive.
After several months in captivity, Yinsen helped Stark escape the cave by developing a specialized suit of armor, but willingly sacrificed himself in the process to the terrorists, telling Stark not to waste his life before he died.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
- 9 External Links
Graduating from Cambridge
Introduced to Tony Stark
Ho Yinsen met Tony Stark on New Year's Eve in 1999 at Bern 2000 in Bern, Switzerland, after Stark delivered a lecture, while very drunk, on integrated circuits. Yinsen tried to introduce him and Maya Hansen to Dr. Wu, but Stark drunkenly brushed him off to focus his attention on Hansen, joking that he had finally met a man named Ho. Though somewhat disappointed, Yinsen resigned himself to hopefully meeting Stark properly at another time.
Ten Rings' Hostage
Saving Tony Stark's Life
Ten years later, Ho Yinsen was captured by the Ten Rings, a terrorist group in Afghanistan. When the Ten Rings brought in Tony Stark, injured from an explosive used in their ambush, they charged Yinsen with keeping him alive. A skilled and resourceful field surgeon, Yinsen removed much of the shrapnel from Stark's body and helped keep him alive long enough to build an electromagnet piece in his chest to keep the remaining shrapnel from entering his heart.
Partners in Captivity
Under captivity, Tony Stark and Ho Yinsen were ordered by the Ten Rings to build a Jericho missile, or they would be killed. However, Stark refused and was tortured. Yinsen managed to motivate him and both men acknowledged that they would be murdered either way and instead focused on an escape plan. Stark revealed to Yinsen that he would use the parts that the Ten Rings gave them and build a weaponized suit of armor, which he would use to kill the terrorists and return Yinsen to his family.
Escape and Death
Ho Yinsen helped Tony Stark keep the Mark I Armor he was making a secret from Raza and assisted in its creation. When Stark asked about Yinsen's family, Yinsen merely noted that he would see them when he left the Ten Rings Base. Yinsen also pointed out that Stark's legacy was his weapons being used by the Ten Rings and suggests that he should rectify this.
During the escape the terrorists were alerted to their plan, seeing there was no way they could power up the suit while defending themselves simultaneously, Yinsen sacrificed himself by taking a gun and attacking the terrorists, thereby giving Stark time to power up the suit. He was mortally wounded when he ran around a corner only to be shot by dozens of terrorists. When Stark found Yinsen, bleeding out from his wounds, he reassured Stark that his demise had always been the plan as his family was dead and that he wished to be reunited with them. Stark thanked Yinsen for saving him. With his dying breath, Yinsen asked Stark not to waste the rest of his life.
Remembered by Tony Stark
Thanks to Ho Yinsen's sacrifice, Tony Stark was able to escape and once back in the United States, he discontinued Stark Industries' mass weapon production line despite this causing his company's stock market value to plummet, much to Obadiah Stane's chagrin. After discovering that Stane was the one responsible for his kidnapping and defeating Stane, Stark dedicated himself to becoming a crimefighter, taking on the identity of Iron Man, for which he designed similar armors to the one he and Yinsen designed on Afghanistan.
Despite meeting Ho Yinsen for a short time, Stark never forgot his advice and dedicated the rest of his life to become less egotistical and become more selfless and heroic. As the years passed by, Stark came to start a family of his own just like Yinsen once did. This eventually culminated in Stark sacrificing himself to stop Thanos from destroying the universe in 2023, finally giving up his life like Yinsen did for him in the past.
Ho Yinsen was a humble family man who was in many ways the polar opposite to Tony Stark. Quiet, unassuming and willing to sacrifice himself to save Stark, before passing away, Yinsen acknowledged that he was at peace by knowing that he would see his family again and told Stark to no longer waste his life nor the chance he had been given to redeem himself.
- Master Engineer: Yinsen managed to help Tony Stark create the first Arc Reactor and prototype Iron Man Armor.
- Master Physician: Yinsen was considered a world-renown surgeon and was able to keep Tony Stark alive when he had shrapnel digging into his heart, by improvising an electromagnet with the few resources he had in captivity, and keep the shrapnel of his heart.
- Multilingualism: Yinsen was capable of speaking in his native Dari, as well as English, Russian, Urdu, French and a little Hungarian as well.
- Machine Gun: To be added
- Ten Rings Base: Yinsen was held captive in the Ten Rings' base in Afghanistan, where his skills were used to help Tony Stark build a Jericho missile for Raza, and translate Abu Bakaar's words for Stark. Yinsen aided Stark in building the Mark I Armor, and escaping from the base despite his death.
- In the comics, Ho Yinsen was a physicist and engineer from Timbetpal, greatly admired by Tony Stark.
- In a novelization of Iron Man written by Alex Irvine, Yinsen tells Stark a story about a prince who was banished to the underworld to work in the iron pits by a king. Once there the prince mined heavy ore becoming as strong as iron being able to crush the ore with his bare hands. When the king realized his mistake and grabbed his finest sword to kill him, it was too late as the sword broke in half when it hit the prince. The story is an allusion to Tony Stark as the prince by becoming Iron Man and Obadiah Stane as the king.