|For alternate versions of HYDRA Stomper, see HYDRA Stomper's Character Hub|
Steven Grant "Steve" Rogers is one of the agents of the Allied powers recruited into the Strategic Scientific Reserve during World War II. Rogers was supposed to be injected with the Super Soldier Serum, but was shot by Heinz Kruger, making Captain Carter get injected with the serum. In order to join the war efforts, Howard Stark created a suit of armor for him, dubbed the HYDRA Stomper by Dum Dum Dugan. In a later mission to infiltrate a HYDRA train, Rogers was lost to an explosion and an avalanche and was taken to Castle de Krake. When Captain Carter and the Howling Commandos attacked the castle, he reunited with Carter but she sacrificed herself to stop the Champion of HYDRA by going through a wormhole.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
World War II
Attack on SSR Brooklyn Facility
Being unfit for the United States Army, Steve Rogers joined Project Rebirth to become the first super soldier during the World War II. Before the process begun Rogers asked Peggy Carter if it was all necessary, which Carter told him how more places would fall by the Third Reich without a super soldier. Rogers got in the Vita-Ray Chamber to be injected with the Super Soldier Serum when Heinz Kruger detonated an explosive causing chaos around with Kruger blowing up Abraham Erskine, shooting Chester Phillips dead, and attempting to steal the serum.
Rogers tried to help but was shot by Kruger. However, Carter was able to kill Kruger and tried to help Rogers. When John Flynn ordered Rogers or Howard Stark to take the serum, Carter knew they had to hurry so she told Rogers she'll be back before taking the serum herself. When she emerged from the chamber, Rogers along with Stark was amazed by Carter's new physique, with Stark saying the project was a success.
John Flynn however saw the Project Rebirth as a failure and sidelined Peggy Carter along with the recovering Rogers. While Rogers was trying to recover on walking, he saw Carter was letting her anger out by tossing dumbbell disks at the wall saying as she wished to do that to Adolf Hitler. Rogers told Carter that at least she wasn't being forced into doing USO tours, selling war bonds, and being told to smile all the time. Rogers told Carter how he never could dance with someone, while Carter noted that he never had the right partner.
Rogers then noticed some troops marching out the window and lamented how his friend Bucky Barnes' troop had been missing for some time. Carter, Stark, and Flynn later found a group of HYDRA soldiers escorting Arnim Zola and the Tesseract from Tønsberg with Flynn denied retrieving, causing Carter and Stark to go behind his back and send the newly minted Captain Carter to successively retrieve both. Stark later used the Tesseract to power an armored suit designed by him, summoning and asking Rogers if he was ready to join the war effort.
HYDRA Stomper in Action
Rogers, Captain Carter, and the Howling Commandos were sent on a mission to intercept the Schnellzug EB912, which the Red Skull was on. As needed on the mission, Rogers needed a confirmation that the HYDRA leader was indeed on the train, so he broke the hull of the train to gain a visual. This was when Rogers learned that the train was full of explosives. He attempted to signal the rest of the crew before the explosives detonated, presumably taking Rogers down with the train. Broken by the turn of events, this fueled Carter even more to put a stop to HYDRA.
Captured by HYDRA
Presumed dead by his allies and Peggy Carter, Rogers was captured by HYDRA along with his armor. Rogers was left on the floor, while his armor was presumably being inspected and experimented on. Later on, Captain Carter and the Howling Commandos attacked the castle Rogers was being kept. Rogers was found by Bucky Barnes and insisted that he needed to once again don the HYDRA Stomper armor so he can join the fight against HYDRA.
Flying through the floors of the Castle de Krake, Rogers bursted in front of Peggy Carter, surprising her as the Champion of HYDRA slammed him into a wall. Soon, Bucky Barnes and the rest of the Howling Commandos arrived to see the Champion of HYDRA, opening fire on the creature. However, it became enraged, yelling out and destroying the Castle. Carter ordered Rogers to save the others as he grabbed the Commandos and dropped them off outside the Castle. Rogers flew back to the castle, hoping to save Carter from the Champion of HYDRA. As he arrived, he tried to torch it as the armor ran out of fuel, causing him to crash to the floor.
As Rogers got out of the armor, he called to Carter and tried to stop her. Knowing that her sacrifice was necessary, Rogers jokingly reminded her to give him a dance lesson as Carter promised him. Fearful of what was about to happen, Rogers watched as Carter pushed the Champion of HYDRA back into the portal as it closed, sending a blast of energy that destroyed the castle. Regaining his senses, Rogers looked for Carter, though there was nothing to be found except for the Tesseract. Rogers walked towards it and kneeled next to it, tearing up because of Carter's sacrifice.
Discovered by S.H.I.E.L.D.
At one point, the HYDRA Stomper Armor was found by Georges Batroc's team and was put into his merchandise while Rogers was put into a cryogenic stasis. The armor alongside with Rogers were discovered by Black Widow and Captain Carter, much to the latter's joy.
Rogers is much like his main universe counterpart, having the courage, patriotism, and righteousness to do what is right and was selected to take the serum for these traits. His excitement for the fight after he gains the HYDRA Stomper Armor and his love for Peggy Carter fuels his confidence in battle and strength to fight.
Powers and Abilities
HYDRA Stomper Armor Capabilities
- Superhuman Strength: The HYDRA Stomper was strong enough to flip over tanks, break through the walls of Castle de Krake, and slow down the Schnellzug EB912.
- Flight: The HYDRA Stomper is able to fly at great speeds and is able to maintain flight for long amounts of time as shown when he assisted Captain Carter in liberating the Allied POWs.
- Superhuman Durability: The HYDRA Stomper was durable enough to handle bullets from planes to tanks. Rogers was even able to survive a train explosion with no damage.
- Repulsors: The HYDRA Stomper is able to shoot repulsor beams strong enough to take down HYDRA tanks. However, while the armor's repulsors were disabled when Rogers was captured by HYDRA, they were easily fixed after the Howling Commandos utilized the castle's electricity to power the armor's suit.
- Skilled Marksman: Rogers is a skilled marksman. Able to fire Repulsors with good accuracy from HYDRA Stomper Armor.
- HYDRA Stomper Armor: The HYDRA Stomper Armor was originally designed and built by Howard Stark so Steve Rogers could participate in the war alongside Captain Carter.
- Tesseract: After Captain Carter captured Arnim Zola during her ambush on HYDRA in Berlin, Howard Stark used the cube as a power source for a new power armor for Rogers.
- Strategic Scientific Reserve Brooklyn Facility: Originally, Steve Rogers was chosen by Abraham Erskine to undergo an experiment with the Super Soldier Serum at the SSR's Brooklyn Facility. However, Rogers was injured in an attack after an explosion caused by Heinz Kruger that took him down.
- Castle de Krake: After the Attack on the Schnellzug EP912 Train, Rogers, alongside the HYDRA Stomper Armor, was taken by HYDRA and was held prisoner before the Attack on Castle de Krake.
- Lemurian Star: At some point, Rogers, alongside the HYDRA Stomper Armor, had been taken and held in stasis in the Lemurian Star during its travels.
- In the Bullet Points series, set in an alternate timeline of the Marvel Comics, Steve Rogers became Iron Man and was surgically drafted to a armor suit by the American Government, because Abraham Erskine was killed before he could create perform his experiments with the Super Soldier Serum.
- The HYDRA Stomper armor is possibly based of of Iron Man's armor in Earth's Mightiest Heroes!: Volume 4: Thor's Last Stand episode 2 & 3.
Behind the Scenes
- What If...? head writer A.C. Bradley originally planned an episode with Steve Rogers falling off the HYDRA train only to be brainwashed into an HYDRA assassin known as Captain HYDRA, but would eventually usurp Red Skull as HYDRA's leader, leading Red Skull to join forces with Peggy Carter, Bucky Barnes and Howard Stark to stop Rogers.
- Steve Rogers' alter ego was originally called "HYDRA Smasher", with a joke in the What If... Captain Carter Were The First Avenger? script that compared the two names, but Kevin Feige felt that "HYDRA Stomper" was better after hearing the joke.