|For the real world HYDRA, see HYDRA.|
HYDRA was a virtual recreation of the real-world organization of the same name inside the Framework. Much like the real-world S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA was based in the United States of America and had a global influence on the whole world, but it did so through a tyrannic reign of terror based on hatred towards Inhumans and highly repressive policies and propaganda.
Its rule was challenged by the remnants of the S.H.I.E.L.D. resistance, and was later disrupted when real-world agents Daisy Johnson and Jemma Simmons infiltrated the Framework to release their friends trapped in it. This marked the beginning of a chain of events which eventually caused HYDRA to progressively lose control as the truth about its actions was revealed and S.H.I.E.L.D. attracted more public support. Eventually, the whole organization was deleted when Aida enacted the destruction of the Framework.
Using knowledge obtained from the Darkhold, Holden Radcliffe and Aida redesigned the Framework to fix one regret for each user. This had the unintended effect of creating a virtual reality where HYDRA dominated the world.
The massacre and the subsequent shutdown of S.H.I.E.L.D. led to HYDRA revealing itself to the world before conquering the United States, and eventually the entire planet, creating a fascist new world order.
|Leopold Fitz/The Doctor||Deputy Director
|Melinda May||High-Ranking Member
|Alistair Fitz||High-Ranking Member||Deceased|
|Daniel Whitehall||High-Ranking Member||Deleted|
|Skye||Agent||Overwritten by Daisy Johnson|
This section requires expansion
HYDRA ID Cards
Unlike its real-world counterpart, which never rose above being a mere terrorist organization, the virtual HYDRA controls the world. As such, HYDRA is divided into several divisions and subdivisions, replacing all aspects of society with their own. In the United States, HYDRA is divided into the following branches.
- HYDRA Homeland Strategic Defense:
- National HYDRA Air Force Guard:
- Federal HYDRA Police Force:
- Mothers of HYDRA:
- Madame Hydra's Youth:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- The symbol of the Framework version of HYDRA has green as its primary color, like HYDRA in the comics.
Behind the Scenes
- The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Agents of HYDRA arc made several parallels between the Framework version of HYDRA and the administration of then-President of the United States, Donald Trump, who had been recently elected at the time the arc first aired.
- The Cambridge Incident was used by HYDRA as a justification for hunting down Inhumans, similar to how the anti-immigration Executive Order 13769 was implemented under the pretext of reducing the risk of terrorist attacks.
- In What If..., Phil Coulson lectures Burnell on the importance of separating fact from innuendo. He later criticizes the information put out by The Bakshi Report as "fake news" in All the Madame's Men, a phrase often used by Trump to deny any criticism expressed in the media against him.
- In Identity and Change, Leo Fitz declares that he and his HYDRA troops will "make our society great again". This is an obvious reference to "Make America Great Again", Trump's slogan during his presidential campaign and throughout his administration.
- While Daisy Johnson was being interrogated by Leo Fitz and Madame Hydra, Fitz remarks that
"She was warned, even given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted." This is a reference to an infamous quote cited by U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell during a debate with Senator Elizabeth Warren, which he used as his reasoning for having her shut down when she was speaking. The phrase has been ironically adopted by several feminist groups to encourage protesting in a similar manner as that expressed by Senator Warren.
- During S.H.I.E.L.D.'s takeover of HYDRA's primary broadcasting center, Coulson's speech denounces HYDRA's fabrications as "alternative facts". The phrase "alternative facts" was used by Advisor to the President Kellyanne Conway to justify a statement made by House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, in which he stated that more people attended President Donald Trump's inauguration than that of previous President Barack Obama's - which was factually untrue.