|For alternate versions of Gabe Jones, see Gabe Jones' Character Hub|
World War II
A native of Macon, Georgia, Gabe Jones studied German and French at Howard University before joining the United States Army. Jones would eventually join the 92nd Infantry, a unit he described as "All black, all proud." In 1943, while fighting alongside Bucky Barnes and Dum Dum Dugan, Jones was captured by HYDRA and placed in a cell with other allied prisoners where he was forced to build powerful weapons for his enemy.
When Captain America single-handedly assaulted the facility, in which, he was a prisoner. Jones, along with his companions, broke free and wreaked havoc on the HYDRA soldiers and the base by controlling a tank with Dum Dum Dugan because Jones spoke fluent German he could show Dugan how to control the tank while James Montgomery Falsworth fired the cannon. Jones joined the rest of the rescued unit and returned to US military base immediately after.
Shortly after their breakout, Jones and his comrades enjoyed a drink together in an English pub when they were invited, by Steve Rogers, to join a special elite squadron, led by Rogers himself. Jones, after a brief conversation with Jacques Dernier, happily accepted alongside Dum Dum Dugan, James Montgomery Falsworth and Jim Morita.
Along with the other Howling Commandos, Jones took part in every assault against HYDRA. This included a mission to capture Arnim Zola. Jones, Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers boarded the Schnellzug EB912. Rogers and Barnes entered the train while Jones remained on the roof and made his way to the head of the train. Jones took Zola into custody; however, he later learned that Barnes had been killed during the mission.
- Expert Marksman: Jones wielded a machine gun during World War II as his weapon of choice, using it to successfully raid many HYDRA facilities across Europe.
- Multilingualism: Jones spoke English, French, and German fluently, providing translations to his squad members.
- M1928A1 Thompson: During World War II, Jones used the standard firearm of the United States Army to battle Nazi forces during the Battle of Azzano. He also used it again during the assault on the Schnellzug EB912 train to kidnap Arnim Zola.
- Browning M1919A4: Jones carried this machine gun as his weapon of choice, and he used it during the Howling Commandos' raids on HYDRA facilities and during the Attack on HYDRA Headquarters. The gun is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution.
- Schnellzug EB912: To be added
- In the comics, Gabe Jones was the first African-American regular supporting character. His relationship with Peggy Carter was one of the first interracial relationships in comics.
Behind the Scenes
- Gabe Jones in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation portrayed by Ron Canada.