On December 7, 1941, 360 Japanese aircraft attacked the major U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, taking the Americans completely by surprise and claiming the lives of more than 2,300 troops. The attack on Pearl Harbor served to unify American public opinion in favor of entering World War II, and, on December 8, Congress declared war on Japan with only one dissenting vote. Germany and the other Axis powers promptly declared war on the United States. Roosevelt declared that the United States would build fifty thousand planes to fight the armies of Hirohito and Adolf Hitler. Some time later, Roosevelt personally met Howard Stark, who supported the American war effort by building one hundred thousand planes for the United States Armed Forces.
After the assassination of Abraham Erskine and the loss of the Super Soldier Serum in 1943, Roosevelt ordered the SSR to concentrate its efforts on battling HYDRA, the Nazi special weapons division led by the infamous Johann Schmidt.
- Eleanor Roosevelt † - Wife
- In a rejected scene from Iron Man, Tony Stark says to Christine Everhart that his father, Howard Stark, was commanded by FDR to work on the Manhattan Project and help defeat the Nazis.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sometimes the Marvel Cinematic Universe alludes to people who existed in our world, and it is assumed the days they were born and died are the same in this universe, for timeline purposes.
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance, Volume 3
- ↑ Captain America: First Vengeance, Volume 2
- ↑ Iron Man (book), p13.
- ↑ Iron Man (book), p14.
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ Tony Stark proves he is the best actor ever