Eugene "Flash" Thompson is a student of Midtown School of Science and Technology. While at the school, Thompson would frequently torment his fellow classmate and decathlon partner, Peter Parker, by constantly deriding Parker's claims to have worked with Tony Stark and to personally know Spider-Man, which he refused to believe was possible. However, Thompson's own admiration for Spider-Man continued to grow, following him being saved from the Washington Monument, as well as encountering Spider-Man again when the hero had confronted the Vulture during homecoming and taken Thompson's father's car.
Thompson was Blipped by Thanos, but resurrected five years later. He then returned to school life as he continued to mock Parker and began a live-streaming social media platform when they departed on a school trip to Europe. While Thompson admired Spider-Man for his heroics back in New York City, he had witnessed the worldwide heroics of Mysterio, who saved him in Venice from an attack by Hydro-Man. While his class toured around Europe, Thompson continued live-streaming while witnessing more attacks from the Elementals, including the final battle against the Elemental Fusion, which had fought Mysterio until being mysteriously erased from existence. Thompson and his friends were then rescued from attacking drones by Happy Hogan and Spider-Man, allowing Thompson to return to New York City.
Mocking Peter Parker
Flash Thompson began attending Midtown School of Science and Technology due to having wealthy parents who would heavily invest in his education. During his time there, Thompson would often flaunt his wealth by driving his father's sports cars and wearing expensive clothing. In his school years, Thompson had often aimed his bullying behavior towards Peter Parker, a highly intelligent classmate who often unintentionally upstaged him and whom Thompson would call "Penis Parker". Arriving at school one morning, Thompson had driven quickly past Parker, whom he mocked in greeting before driving away.Despite his arrogance around his fellow students though, Thompson often found himself falling back in class due to his impulsive goal of wanting to be the first to answer any question; during one of Monica Warren's physics lectures, Thompson overconfidently answered her question of calculating an object's acceleration when swinging between two points. However, Warren immediately told him that he was incorrect, greatly embarrassing Thompson.
Thompson then became more annoyed when Warren called on a distracted Parker to answer the question, which he quickly did so and corrected Thompson's mistake of forgetting to cancel out mass. Warren further embarrassed Thompson by then noting that being the fastest did not always mean being the best. Incredibly frustrated at being humiliated by both Warren and Parker in front of the class, Thompson turned around to threaten Parker that he was "dead".
Thompson later attended practice for his decathlon team, for which he was still on reserve. However, during their team practice, Parker had informed Roger Harrington that he would have to drop out due to his internship with Stark Industries. Thompson commented that Parker had never even been in the same room as Tony Stark and had joked about having a date with Black Widow, before Thompson was interrupted by Abe Brown who called Thompson out for his lies.
Following Parker's decision to quit their decathlon team, Thompson joined the rest of the team to discuss what they should do, while Liz Toomes insisted that they could not continue without Parker. Despite Thompson insisting that they could use his help instead of Parker, Brown and the others agreed that they would prefer to have Parker on their team, although Parker insisted that he had to work with Stark instead, much to the rest of their team's considerable annoyance.
Liz Toomes' Party
- "When I say 'Penis', you say 'Parker'!"
- ―Flash Thompson[src]
During gym class led by Andre Wilson, Thompson was climbing rope when he had overheard a conversation between Ned Leeds and Liz Toomes, during which Leeds had excitedly claimed that Peter Parker had known Spider-Man due to his work with Stark Industries. Getting involved with the conversation, Thompson had compared this to how Wilson and Captain America were friends based upon Captain America's Fitness Challenge. Seeking to humiliate Parker, Thompson then suggested that they invite Spider-Man to attend Toomes' upcoming party, not believing that Parker actually knew Spider-Man.
As promised, Thompson attended Toomes' party at her home, where he had acted as the DJ for the night. As their party had continued, Thompson noticed that Parker and Leeds arrived and were speaking with Michelle Jones. Upon seeing Parker and Leeds, Thompson had immediately began mocking them, suggesting that Spider-Man was currently in Canada with Parker's imaginary girlfriend, jokingly noting that instead of Spider-Man, Parker brought Leeds into the party.
While the party continued, Thompson had soon noticed that Parker had ultimately failed to bring Spider-Man into Toomes' party, and had seemingly departed without saying goodbye. Believing that Parker had exaggerated his work with Tony Stark at Stark Industries and his relationship with Spider-Man, Thompson used his role as the DJ to begin the chant with all the party goers, getting them to use the nick-name of Penis Parker repeatedly to continue mocking Parker.
As the bomb in Ned Leeds' backpack goes off, Thompson found himself stuck in the elevator with his classmates. As the monument's security team manage to pry open the elevator doors and provide an escape. Thompson immediately pushed his classmates out of the way and told the security team to save his decathlon trophy first then himself, to the shock of his classmates. As he is lifted out, the elevator falls, only for Spider-Man to swoop in and save the group.
Lending his Car
On the night of the Homecoming dance, Thompson drove his date to Midtown whilst they had a disagreement regarding dinner. As they arrived, Spider-Man suddenly jumped onto the hood of the car, telling Thompson in a gravelly voice that he needed to borrow it and his phone. The stunned Thompson informed him that it is his father's car in truth but quickly relented and let Spider-Man use it. However, Thompson became shocked when Spider-Man recklessly drove the sports car into a rack of bicycles.
Trip to Europe
Since the Snap occurred before the 2017-2018 school year at Midtown School of Science and Technology was complete, Thompson and his fellow revived classmates had to retake their junior year from 2023-2024. During this time, Thompson began a livestream feed called Flash Mob. Along with Jones, Parker, Leeds, and some other classmates, Thompson also planned on attending a school-sponsored trip during summer break to Venice, Italy, and Paris, France to visit various museums and sites of interest.
Unlike the rest of his classmates, Thompson was granted a seat in First Class and took a glass of champagne. As he watched Parker and Leeds take their seats in Economy, Thompson taunted Parker over supposedly being too poor to have ever flown in an airplane before. Not appreciating Thompson's attitude, Jones called to a nearby flight attendant to point out that he had been blipped at age 16, and thus was not legally old enough to drink. As the flight attendant confiscated his champagne, Thompson protested that he didn't know Jones, to no avail.
Attack in Venice
Thompson recorded videos and posted images and status updates to Flash Mob during the trip to Europe, though during one take with some locals he was hit in the groin by a passing stranger. He was later part of the crowd that was in danger during the Hydro-Man attack on Venice that was orchestrated by Mysterio.
However, after the battle ended and he and his classmates had returned to their hotel to discuss the incident, Thompson continued to praise Spider-Man's previously known actions and claiming that Mysterio was not a hero like Spider-Man, marking the hero as his apparent favorite. Even as he praised Spider-Man, Thompson, still oblivious to the fact that he was in the presence of the very same person behind the mask, demeaned Parker the instant he saw him and claiming that he had thought he had drowned in the attack.
Flash Thompson is, on first impression, cocky and arrogant, prone to mistreating or mocking those that he sees as superior or more intelligent than himself, such as Peter Parker or Ned Leeds, most likely stemming more from insecurity than malice. However, he is shown deep down to be cowardly, prioritizing his life over his teammates, and calling the Academic Decathlon trophy his trophy. He is also shown to be picky with food, due to his complaint about his branzino, and cannot handle pressure well, as seen by how easily Parker was able to steal his car, leaving Thompson's date far from pleased, and by how nervous he looked during the Decathlon.
Despite his constant tormenting of Parker however, Flash is shown to have standards regarding how he does so and there are certain boundaries he isn't willing to cross, such as violating Parker's privacy; when Brad Davis was ousted for supposedly taking pictures of Parker in the bathroom half-naked, Flash expressed disgust towards him, much like his teachers and classmates.
It's implied that Flash may be neglected by his parents, as shown by a text he sent to his mother expressing concern that he has not heard from her nor his father for several days, despite nearly being killed at the sight of an Elemental attack, not counting the fact that he was five years dead due the Snap. After returning to the United States from London, Thompson was disappointed to find out his family butler had come to pick him up from the airport instead of them. As a result, Thompson does whatever he can to gain attention, such as live-streaming his trip on Instagram, in the hopes that people will like him and give him the attention he so craves.
- Gifted Intellect: Thompson is an intelligent student, due to attending Midtown School of Science and Technology and being an alternate of the Decathlon Team. However, he is not as smart as Peter Parker and is noted to be constantly incorrect in class and Decathlon due to his drive of always wanting to be the first to answer.
- Musician: Thompson is shown to have some skill in music as he is known for Disc Jockeying at Liz Toomes's party and handled the equipment with ease.
- Tony Stark's Glasses: To be added
- In the comics, Eugene "Flash" Thompson was a star high school football player and the bully of Peter Parker. After graduation, he joined the United States Army and eventually became Agent Venom, a member of both the Secret Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy, and later Agent Anti-Venom.
Behind the Scenes
- Flash Thompson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the third live-action incarnation of the character, following incarnations portrayed by Joe Manganiello and Chris Zylka.
- Tony Revolori's character was known as Manuel before his official reveal.
- Tom Holland explained that this version of the character is very different from his comic-book counterpart: "Bullying wasn't really a thing, so when they cast Flash Thompson they knew they didn't need a 6ft 5in jock to beat Peter Parker up. They needed a rich, smug kid commenting on how bad his trainers were." This version of the character is somewhat similar to the Ultimate Comics version where he doesn't openly idolize Spider-Man.
- The original pitch for Spider-Man: Homecoming by John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein had Spider-Man demanding Thompson to give him his pants in the scene in which he asks Thompson for his dad's car for the sake of petty revenge, driving off after throwing them a mile away.
- The song that Flash performs at Liz Toomes's home is called "Flashdrv". It was written by Jon Watts, director of Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- The license plate of his father's Audi, which he drives to the Homecoming dance, also says "FLASHDRV".
- Despite the success of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tony Revolori's portrayal of Flash Thompson has been heavily criticized by fans to the point of receiving hate mail and death threats: "I'm not what the character was in the comic books. I'm not, and we can say that clearly and easily -- and there's still people who will hate that fact. It was very disheartening to receive hate mail and death threats and things like that".
- Jacob Garcia, Evan Dane Taylor and Luke Gomes were stunt doubles for Tony Revolori in the role of Flash Thompson.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Spider-Man: Homecoming
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Spider-Man: Far From Home
- ↑ ‘Grand Budapest Hotel’ Star Tony Revolori Signs With WME
- ↑ Spider-Man: Homecoming Deleted Scene
- ↑ The Daily Bugle/Promotional Campaign
- ↑ Tom Holland Explains Exactly What Sort Of Bully Flash Thompson Is In SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
- ↑ From Pitch to Page to Screen: 9 Ways 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Changed Along the Way
- ↑ Spider-Man: Homecoming's Flash Thompson Actor Received Death Threats